PDA

View Full Version : What am I prejudiced about??

slateman
11-19-2004, 12:53 AM
I figure that some of you guys know me a little. With a substantial amount of posts, I was hoping ya'll could help me out.

We have this stupid extra credit assignment in psyc class. We have to write it down and hand in what we are prejudiced about. Its like an extra 10 points on the next exam. The exam is 100 points so thats a full letter grade improvement. I could use those points.

The problem is that I'm not prejudiced. At least, I can't think of anything or anyone. So I thought I'd post here and see if anyone can remember a particularly prejudiced thing that I've said.

Anyone??

quik
11-19-2004, 01:00 AM
Ever looked at a black person and been more scared than when you looked at a white person?

1/2 way there already!

Your racist, dont worry, you can admit it.

Bulldog
11-19-2004, 01:04 AM
Keep in mind it's possible to be predujiced, and not racist. eg. I like my kids more than I like yours, but I don't hate someone for the color of their skin.

Does that make sense, or am I just tired?

slateman
11-19-2004, 01:13 AM
Defintiely not racist. Trust me.

I've always tried to judge an individaul person or thing. Never a group.

The closest I can think of is my prejudice for French people. But I don't dislike them as much as i dislike their government.

RoadDawg
11-19-2004, 01:22 AM
Keep in mind it's possible to be predujiced, and not racist. eg. I like my kids more than I like yours, but I don't hate someone for the color of their skin.

Does that make sense, or am I just tired?

Makes sense... I hate cats but I love dogs. I like pizza but I don't like tomato. I'm also predjudice about beer. IF it's got "light" in the title I don't want anything to do with it. :cheers: *it's late* :sleeping:

Caffiend
11-19-2004, 01:32 AM
Do you have any school rivalries? Or what type of marker do you own? Type of car? What type of music do you like? Do you prefer :argh: or :ninja: :) Or how about blonde, brunette or redhead? Are you a booty or boobie guy? Oops, forgot legs in there. Hope that helps

gc82000
11-19-2004, 06:44 AM
Can you be a bigot and not be a racist?? :confused:

I prefer girls to guys am I prejudice.

deathstalker
11-19-2004, 07:37 AM
Prejudice has nothing to do with what you like, what you prefer, and the like. Prejudice is making a judgement about someone or something before you know the facts.

The best example is to think of stereotypes. Do you think all goth girls are fat? Do you think that all Mexicans mow lawns? Do you think all Jews are cheap and stingy? Do you think Freshman are stupid? Do you think everyone who is in a school band is a nerd? When you see someone who is of Mid-East descent, does the word "terrorist" pop into your head? If you can answer yes to any of these, then you're prejudiced. These are just examples, but they're indicative of how you have to think when defining your prejudices.

And yes, we are all prejudiced at one time or another.

duby
11-19-2004, 10:20 AM
just make something up. who cares if its true? you no it isnt, and the only one that will be reading it is the teacher. pick a race/gender/etc and go nuts. fiction is always fun to write.

Thordic
11-19-2004, 10:43 AM
Go off on something totally outlandish. Like everytime you see someone from Nepal you automatically assume they are a Ghurka with a large kukri and they are going to try to cut you to bits. So you run screaming.

deadeye9
11-19-2004, 10:58 AM
My prejudice is in favor of pretty girls.
When I encounter a pretty girl, my brain has a mind of its own.
I've given up trying to expain why.

Jeffy-CanCon
11-19-2004, 11:29 AM
Not liking the French government might be a sign of prejudice. When you hear the start of something involving the French government, do you think "oh, no, not them again"? If so, you are negatively pre-judging them.

Try a little exercise:

Imagine you have to pick ten people from a crowd of strangers, to be on your team. What sort of people do you pick, and why? What sort of people do you dismiss, and why?

Do it again, but change the type of team. Soccer, paintball, science-project, wood-shop project, etc.

Caffiend
11-19-2004, 03:41 PM
right, but hopefully from the things he likes, one of the reasons to at least one of them is because *insert prejudice here* For example, maybe he doesn't like redheads because he thinks all redheads are crazy or he doesn't like country because all country is stupid.

Pickle
11-19-2004, 06:21 PM
Prejudice
noun.

1. An adverse judgment or opinion formed beforehand or without knowledge or examination of the facts.

2. A preconceived preference or idea.

Whatever you write base it on the definition of the word. Many examples given on this thread do not meet the criteria of the definition.

I like the idea of writing something fictional. However, how do you write about a prejudice? I mean, if you don't have the facts and don't care to have the facts what do you write? "I don't like blank and I don't know why because if I knew why I would have the facts and therefore it wouldn't be a prejudice but it would be a conclusion based on facts. Because I knew why. The end."

-or-

"I don't like blank and I don't know why."

Not liking the French government might be a sign of prejudice. When you hear the start of something involving the French government, do you think "oh, no, not them again"? If so, you are negatively pre-judging them.

Not if you knew why you didn't like them though.