PDA

View Full Version : Submarines

gimp
11-19-2004, 06:33 PM
I've got a second interview with a place that fixes military submarines. I'd like to not look like an idiot when I show up, so I was wondering if anyone knows any websites that would be a good resource to learn about subs.

Thanks

HoppysMag
11-19-2004, 06:41 PM
goin to electric boat works in groton ct? i they make the subs, id assume they repair them too

slateman
11-19-2004, 06:46 PM
Interview for a job?? What are you gonna do there??

SSMercury
11-19-2004, 07:36 PM
Slateman has a good point, it's not enough to know what THEY do, but what YOU will do if/when you apply. Are you going to be working on a sub's engines (doubtful, you'd know if you were, no offense intended), hull, sonar, computers, navigation, communications, or something else? Or admin, janitorial, HR on their company itself?

As for studying military subs, I'm of the opinion that there's some good novels out there that have decent information regarding subs. Crimson Tide comes to mind.

(Frankly, I'm not even sure I remember where I got all my information on stuff like this, I'm incredibly eclectic and soak information like a sponge, my information comes from dozens of novels over the last decade, but if I recall right, Crimson Tide involves a nuclear ballistic missile sub of a fairly recent design, from the early 90s.)

Should find it at any reasonably large bookstore.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I'm not in the military.

SCpoloRicker
11-19-2004, 07:49 PM
Tom Clancy writes non-fiction books about different branches of the services.

I'm pretty sure he has one titled "Boomer" about nuclear subs.

Also, Jane's Defense is a great resource.

Just hope that you're under 5' and you don't mind glowing in the dark :p

TheDuelist
11-19-2004, 08:45 PM
Well personally if you've made it to a second interview they must like something. Sometimes going in trying to know too much is worse than knowing nothing at all. I'm not trying to discouraging you from learning more just be careful with it. Good luck on the second interview.

Steelrat
11-19-2004, 09:03 PM
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/index.html

Mango
11-19-2004, 09:45 PM
http://www.sprayingmango.com/ohnoes.gif http://www.sprayingmango.com/ohnoes.gif http://www.sprayingmango.com/ohnoes.gif http://www.sprayingmango.com/ohnoes.gif

frop
11-20-2004, 03:51 AM
(Frankly, I'm not even sure I remember where I got all my information on stuff like this, I'm incredibly eclectic and soak information like a sponge, my information comes from dozens of novels over the last decade, but if I recall right, Crimson Tide involves a nuclear ballistic missile sub of a fairly recent design, from the early 90s.)

If i rmeber right, it involves an Ohio class SSBN missile sub, a Los Angeles class SSN fast attack sub called the Dallas, & whatever Russian subs that are involved.

Sure, Clancy primarily writes historical fiction, but he is so painstaking about realism that I can very easily see any of his work that I've read really happening...

gimp
11-20-2004, 12:20 PM
The position I'm going for is shift test engineer. It takes a few years of training to get to that position, but that's what I'll be trying for. I'll be working with the nuclear engineering department, or the electrical engineering department. Those are basically the two main departments in the company.

The subs come in to get refueled, and maintaned. They're usually in for 2-4 years. Everything in the sub gets tested and replaced where necessary. As the shift test engineer, I'd have the responsibility of overseeing the whole process and making sure everything gets done. If something fails, then it would be my fault.

I'm trying to get some history about subs, and some basic information to prepare myself for the interview. I don't have to be an expert, they'll teach me everything. That site steelrat gave is pretty good.

slateman
11-20-2004, 01:25 PM
I dont think you have anything to worry about. You obviously know what you're job is going to be and I'm sure you can handle it.

The Golden Rule of a submarine is silence above all else. If you're quiet no one can hear you. If they can't hear you than they can't shoot you :)

That means you gotta make sure everyhting is tightened up tight and welded. . . uh . . .well? OK so I didn't do well in shop class. You get my point. ;)

Kevn 419
11-20-2004, 01:30 PM
I live in a yellow submarine.

We all live in a yellow submarine! :dance:

Eagle
11-20-2004, 04:03 PM
So where exactly are you going? PNSY or EB? I'm on one of the boats at PNSY, and while I'm not sure about the civilian side of things, but I've got to imagine that you need to know more about your actual job and most of all Quality Assurance (Squalus or Thresher anyone?) As for books, don't touch the novels. Crimson Tide was one of the most inaccurate. I don't know a single submariner that likes it. Red October was one of the most accurate, but even then it was very fake (good story though). Having said that, there are non-fiction books out the such as 'Submarine' by Tom Clancy that are fairly accurate. If you're looking for pure history, there are dozens out there. Try 'Blind Mans Bluff'

gimp
11-20-2004, 04:25 PM
The interview is at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard.

frop
11-21-2004, 02:07 AM
So where exactly are you going? PNSY or EB? I'm on one of the boats at PNSY, and while I'm not sure about the civilian side of things, but I've got to imagine that you need to know more about your actual job and most of all Quality Assurance (Squalus or Thresher anyone?) As for books, don't touch the novels. Crimson Tide was one of the most inaccurate. I don't know a single submariner that likes it. Red October was one of the most accurate, but even then it was very fake (good story though). Having said that, there are non-fiction books out the such as 'Submarine' by Tom Clancy that are fairly accurate. If you're looking for pure history, there are dozens out there. Try 'Blind Mans Bluff'

yeah, Red October was the one i was thinking of, not Crimson Tide.

EDIT:bloody hell, i keep forgetting to turn my sig off :tard:

SpecialBlend2786
11-21-2004, 05:02 AM
my ap physics teacher served in submarines for a long time. Then he retired from the Navy and started teaching. Not really sure how that's relevent though :tard: