PDA

View Full Version : Trying to decide on a used suv

Paint-Fool
11-22-2004, 01:53 PM
All I have is a regular cab Tacoma and I need something bigger. It's hard to get all my paintball stuff in it when I go to scenarios. I found a 96 Land Rover Discovery for $4500 that looks like it's in excellent condition. I don't know much about them. I'm wondering how reliable they are. I'm also considering a Jeep Cherokee. What do you guys think?

Deep Sixx
11-22-2004, 02:38 PM
Land Rovers are excellent verhicles, and their off-road capabilities are nearly unmatched. They are, however, VERY expensive to repair should something go wrong. As much as I love them, I'd go with a Grand Cherokee.

sixx

PyRo
11-22-2004, 07:49 PM
I would hardly say a land rover is unmatched offroad, as far as stock vechicls go I would pit the Wrangler Rebricon (sp) against it.
And yes Land Rovers are a fortune to repair. Grand cherokees (93-98 atleast, not sure about newer ones) have transmission problems, the 6cyl likes to eat catalytic converters, that isn't a big deal though it's every 60k at most, and the earlier ones had rear main seal problems. As far as jeeps go Look at the cherokee, you sacrifice some luxery but get a more reliable vehicle and you will get a newer/lower milage one for the same $4500 which would get you an older higher milage grand cherokee.
And how much PB stuff do you have that it doesn't fit in a pickup truck?

Tunaman
11-22-2004, 08:04 PM
Just get the Blazer with the 4.3. They rock. ;)

Brak
11-22-2004, 08:10 PM
gi jeep, the land rover is an english car, basically a status symbol-- and it will break down far more than a jeep, and cost a whole to to fix

Gtask8
11-22-2004, 11:28 PM
naaaa, just buy a helicopter, itll get you on and off-road! ;)

PyRo
11-22-2004, 11:32 PM
naaaa, just buy a helicopter, itll get you on and off-road! ;)
Got a couple hundred thousand to spare for a cheap one? :)
A guy I worked for took a helicopter into the city to go to work every day not a cheap one either he probably dumped a few million on it. I guess when you make 80 million a year you can do that.

Paint-Fool
11-24-2004, 12:11 AM
I figured the Rover would be very expensive to repair so I think I will pass on it. I may look for just the cherokee and not the grand. Well I always take alot of stuff with me and it's hard to fit much of it in the cab. I want to be able to keep it inside the vehicle so it's out of the weather and away from punks that might want to steal it. If you seea copter for sell for around 5 grand let me know lol

PyRo
11-24-2004, 12:28 AM
I've got one you can have for five grand. It has this super cool remote controll :)

dj89
11-24-2004, 12:30 AM
Got a couple hundred thousand to spare for a cheap one? :)
A guy I worked for took a helicopter into the city to go to work every day not a cheap one either he probably dumped a few million on it. I guess when you make 80 million a year you can do that.

Were the hell did you work?

dj89
11-24-2004, 12:34 AM
I figured the Rover would be very expensive to repair so I think I will pass on it. I may look for just the cherokee and not the grand. Well I always take alot of stuff with me and it's hard to fit much of it in the cab. I want to be able to keep it inside the vehicle so it's out of the weather and away from punks that might want to steal it. If you seea copter for sell for around 5 grand let me know lol

Just get a new truck. with a lager cab.

Cough Cough Cough Cough Chevy 1500 Cough Cough Cough Cough

PyRo
11-24-2004, 01:03 AM
Were the hell did you work?
Helping to build his 30 million and counting dollar house.

White_Noise
11-24-2004, 01:29 AM
i have a 94 jeep grand cherokee with the 4.0 and we always use it to bring all of my team's pball stuff to tournaments and what not.

me nor the previous owner(only 1 before me) have had any problems offroading. we've been able to follow huge chevy pickups with like 2 ft lifts through most situtations without getting stuck.

for the 94 grand cherokee, im sure you can find them less than $5k(i did) and they have more room than the regular cherokees.

note: i got the jeep as a step up too, my first truck was an 87 dodge dakota that i found was too small as well.

PyRo
11-24-2004, 07:26 AM
That's because pickup trucks generally suck offroad next to SUV's.

LudavicoSoldier
11-24-2004, 07:49 AM
Check out 97+ Toyota 4Runners. As long as you don't go with the 4 cylinder engine, you should have plenty enough power.

PyRo
11-24-2004, 05:32 PM
Check out 97+ Toyota 4Runners. As long as you don't go with the 4 cylinder engine, you should have plenty enough power.
I think money is an issue their.

dj89
11-24-2004, 05:55 PM
I think money is an issue their.
+ it a Toyota :rolleyes:

BeaverEater
11-24-2004, 10:52 PM
land rover is a great off road vehicle but i heard they leak oil real bad.

Wrathchild
11-24-2004, 11:57 PM
+ it a Toyota :rolleyes:

...Way to go Mr.Obvious. WHat does being a Toyota have anything to do with this? Toyotas are awesome vehicles, I know... I work at a Toyota Dealership in Michigan.

If you're looking for size = reliability... Look into an older 4runner, not the new body-style. The older ones run forever and you can beat the hell out of them. You should be able to find a 95-ish with about 70k+ for about 5 grand.

The Jeep Cherokee is a wonderful choice as well, the Grand Cherokees are JUNK.

cphilip
11-25-2004, 10:07 AM
I gotta agree with the used Toyota.... might throw in a Nissan Pathfinder as well.... As far as for a used high mileage SUV these would be ones I would be looking at. Because they are the only ones I can feel comfy with high mileage.

Do you really need SUV though? I mean there are other ways to get you what you want. Your existing truck with a nice capper and some organizer stuff under that can be a nice versitile set up. Just a thought. You can do a lot of stuff back in there. For little money. Like a grand or so can really get you a lot of dry secure storage.

PyRo
11-25-2004, 10:48 AM
Those cherokees will hit 100 billion miles right along side the toyotas and nissans.

cphilip
11-25-2004, 11:04 AM
Those cherokees will hit 100 billion miles right along side the toyotas and nissans.

Pfft.... yea right....

PyRo
11-25-2004, 08:54 PM
Why not? Iv'e seen several with 200k+ no major repairs, valve covers never off, and tons of them with around 170 in great shape..

skife
11-26-2004, 01:37 AM
how about an old Chevy K5 blazer, 350 fuel injected, 4x4
a transmission with overdrive, you'll get around 20mpg depending on if you've got a lead foot or not and the gearing and tire combo.

but seriously though, nice vehicles, we used to have one, you can pull off the rear fiberglass top and use it as a convertable in the summer time.

we only had problems with ours because it had a bent from (someone got into an accident with it before we owned it and the body shop sucked that repaired it)

dj89
11-26-2004, 02:06 AM
we only had problems with ours because it had a bent from (someone got into an accident with it before we owned it and the body shop sucked that repaired it)
A bent what?

gc82000
11-26-2004, 05:13 AM
I have an 84 4Runner that has alomst 150k on it , no major repairs except the clutch. It has rust and all that on the body but none on the chasis. Still runs great when it is taken out.

PyRo
11-26-2004, 10:47 AM
how about an old Chevy K5 blazer, 350 fuel injected, 4x4
a transmission with overdrive, you'll get around 20mpg depending on if you've got a lead foot or not and the gearing and tire combo.

but seriously though, nice vehicles, we used to have one, you can pull off the rear fiberglass top and use it as a convertable in the summer time.

Unfortunatly it was later discovered that most K5 blazers didn't have any metal used in their construction. Instead they were built from compacted rust just like the toyotas.

joez
11-26-2004, 07:54 PM
Unfortunatly it was later discovered that most K5 blazers didn't have any metal used in their construction. Instead they were built from compacted rust just like the toyotas.

:rolleyes: Moron.

PyRo
11-27-2004, 01:22 AM
You try to find me one that isn't rusted out :(

skife
11-27-2004, 01:33 AM

yeah... it happened.

we could see the road in a few spots.

but damn that vehicle ws awsome

skife
11-27-2004, 01:37 AM
there are a few in my town that are in mint condition.
they want like 3k for them though.

PyRo
11-27-2004, 10:50 AM
there are a few in my town that are in mint condition.
they want like 3k for them though.
That's a great deal. They were probably rusted out at one point though, if not you probably just arn't looking hard enough.

joez
11-27-2004, 02:58 PM

http://my4x4pics.com/data/media/47/Pb200024_resize.jpg

No problem, i have one sitting in my driveway with 225K miles on it.
Every piece of sheetmetal except the hood is factory, frame is rust free as well. I replaced the hood because when i pull the 379 thats in it now and replace it with a 4bt, i'll have the clearance for the intake.

And yes thats the spare, i split a sidewall earlier that morning.