PDA

View Full Version : Air Leaks

Laager
11-22-2004, 07:18 PM
Hi, I was just given a 68 Automag Classic, looks to be stock and when I hooked it up air leaked out of the barrel and the rear.

I did not get a manual, but I'm guessing it could be caused by bad seals, but since I don't know I'm asking.

Also, from what I've heard a level 10 kit is the way to go, any other suggestions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Laager
11-23-2004, 04:21 PM
Okay, went to the AGD site and printed out the manual. Followed the troubleshooting guide and from what I can figure out, I think something is wrong with the Reg. seat.

It stopped leaking from the barrel but still leaks out the back of the marker.

Does the X-reg and level10 kit fit the Automag Classic?

TIA

CaliMagFan
11-23-2004, 06:11 PM
the X reg is actually just the back half of an X valve... it is an RT style valve and is not compatible with your stock Automag (classic) valve... you may have a few things to check for on your marker:

if the leak is really right out of the back, like out the hole in the velocity adjusting nut, you have one of two or a combination of these 2 problems...

the first is that your pressure in the reg is too high as a result of turning in your velocity nut too much... if you know that you're shooting under 300 fps with a leak still comming out the back its the next issue...

this issue is a broken reg piston... these have been known to go bad after a great long while, and can be easily replace..... when you unscrew the adjustment knob in the back of the marker all the way you will be able to see into the reg part of the valve from the back... remove the spring pack and set it aside..... it will be covered in a lot of grease, this is good as it prevents rust... if you have no grease, then hit it with some lithium grease and you'll do well by that... you'll see that there is a brass ring inside the next piece with a black socket for an allen wrench deeper inside the reg. Use an allen wrench that is about the correct size if you dont have the exact fit , cause all you have to do here is wedge the wrench in at an angle and wiggle that part out... you can twist on it for days with the wrench, but its not gunna come out, cause there is no threading around the allen socket...

when you get it out you will see a 3/4 inch long barrel with a step down in diameter at about half way down its length... check to see if the Oring around this piece is intact... if it is not, you may have found your problem... if there is seemingly nothing outwardly wrong, then you'll have to order a new one of these from AGD... http://store.airgun.com

you will not be able to open this piece for service, as all the parts are built to not come apart...

hope that helps to some degree, if i'm way off let me know cause i'm doing that all from memory..

-kyro

Laager
11-23-2004, 08:36 PM
the leak is out of the hole in the velocity adjusting nut. I tried adjusting the velocity adjusting nut, but it did not work. So the next step is to try what you suggested and see where that leads. Although I was seriously thinking about just sending it in, to have the X-Valve installed and of course getting a couple sets of replacement parts to boot.

Thanks for the help, I'm going to take it apart later tonight to check on it.

Laager
12-03-2004, 02:09 PM
CaliMagFan,

Took me awhile to get my hands on a parts kit, but I did and wonders of wonders, no wonder it was leaking. It was missing the reg. seat and the the power tube o-ring.

Replaced both o-rings and no more leaks. :clap:

Thanks for the help.