PDA

View Full Version : Does any1 have any pics of the carbon fiber karta body?

defcon5freak
11-22-2004, 07:45 PM
If anybody has any pics of a carbon fiber karta body could you pleae post some???

Chronobreak
11-22-2004, 07:47 PM
no such thing...

there made out of slugs(aluminum)

Skateball-Paintboard
11-22-2004, 07:50 PM
^^ what he said.

It would be pretty crazy looking though, an all carbon fiber mag... :clap: :bounce:

FreakBaller12
11-22-2004, 07:54 PM
and light...
and expensive out the butt
I am not sure if the tolerences would hold though :confused:

Chronobreak
11-22-2004, 07:54 PM
the pure $ of it makes it near impossible let alone it wont last long ;)

want a $500 carbon karta :rofl:

there IS carbon like coliring that some people have done to ule mags.(not sure if it can be done to karta due to milling)

nt2004
11-22-2004, 07:55 PM
heres a link to its thread http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=648706
but alass, its pics are down :(

This was a mag that was coated with carbon fiber, not really made of it.

Heres a link to its pics, a f/s thread i found in the guy's sig.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=674565

Its not karta but its still interesting, being coated and all

68magOwner
11-22-2004, 08:02 PM
its a carbon fiber sticker sheet, i think

Muzikman
11-22-2004, 08:18 PM
Yep, they are right. It is a Karta that was covered in a carbon fiber wrap. It looked cool as hell, but it wasn't any lighter (and actualy might have been heavier) than a normal Karta.

Sac
11-22-2004, 08:47 PM
yea i saw it IAO it was sweet.

defcon5freak
11-22-2004, 09:01 PM
Ok sorry i didnt mean an actually carbon fiber gun which would be freakin awesome but almost like glass.But the one from Iao that colin had that was anodized so thanks for the info and pic nt2004

Enemy
11-23-2004, 05:02 AM
Ok sorry i didnt mean an actually carbon fiber gun which would be freakin awesome but almost like glass.But the one from Iao that colin had that was anodized so thanks for the info and pic nt2004

what do you mean carbon fiber is just as strong as metal and an almost all carbon body wouldnt be too hard to do you would just have to mold a thin metal flange to take the impact from the bolt and rubing from the spring!!

thecavemankevin
11-23-2004, 07:43 AM
it's not a karta, but is this what you were looking for?

http://www.landome.com/adam/mag.jpg

jenner
11-23-2004, 08:22 AM
thecavemankevin and nt2004 do you guys have any clue what real carbon fiber looks like?

The picture above is just a paint job.

Example of real CF:

http://www.gtspec.com/products/exterior/images/wrxhood_029.jpg

Thordic
11-23-2004, 09:03 AM

It's not a paint job, at least what Colin had wasn't. Its a very thin sheet of real carbon fiber that gets glued on like contact paper. Although I think there is a process to putting it on that is a little more complex, it isn't something that is going to peel off.

Fred
11-23-2004, 09:12 AM
spogear.com did the CF ULE pictured above.

I got to check it out at World Cup.

Its a great finish, I've been trying to contact them about doing a custom coating on one of my project guns.

---Fred

Target Practice
11-23-2004, 11:23 AM
You mean this one?

And yes, it is a carbon fiber wrap. It's not annodized, painted, or anything else.

http://www.potatoboy.net/users/sarah/IAO/IMG_1511.JPG

defcon5freak
11-23-2004, 11:34 AM
Yea thats it and i think thats me and brian terrys pants hahaha

Muzikman
11-23-2004, 11:40 AM
Yea thats it and i think thats me and brian terrys pants hahaha

Check his...er...never mind...

Muzikman
11-23-2004, 11:52 AM
thecavemankevin and nt2004 do you guys have any clue what real carbon fiber looks like?

Example of real CF:

Well, I don't know if that ULE is carbon fiber wrapped or not. But you do know you can get different weaves of carbon fiber right?

Basically the process for carbon fiber wrap is this.
1. Take your fabric and soak it in the resin
2. Wrap your object in the carbon
3. Trim off excess fabric
4. Insert in a vacume bag and suck all the air out
5. Let dry
6. Cut and peal off bag
7. If you can still feel the fabric, coat with another layer of Resin

The Frymarker
11-23-2004, 11:54 AM
That looks so cool :cool:

craltal
11-23-2004, 12:10 PM
0.2 mm sheets of self adhesive carbon fiber:

http://www.machv.com/cafiplsh.html

phantomhitman
11-23-2004, 12:48 PM
that is really nice......but i need an anno. i am to rough on my stuff :(

magman007
11-23-2004, 01:47 PM
ummm carbon fiber will be tougher than anno :rolleyes:

SummaryJudgement
11-23-2004, 02:19 PM
Looks cool.

phantomhitman
11-23-2004, 04:29 PM
ummm carbon fiber will be tougher than anno :rolleyes:

too bad it is not real structual secure carbon fiber and just a SHEET of THIN carbon paper with sticky stuff on it!!! Real carbon fiber might be stronger and more durable, but it would get scratched to hell faster than an anno would. We got to play with the real deal in school, but who am i to know :hail: :rolleyes:

nt2004
11-23-2004, 04:31 PM

Example of real CF:

uh yeah im aware what an object made entirely of CF looks like. He asked for a pic of a carbon fiber mag so i found a pic of a mag with carbon fiber on it. Closest to what he was asking for, no?

Muzikman
11-23-2004, 04:32 PM
too bad it is not real structual secure carbon fiber and just a SHEET of THIN carbon paper with sticky stuff on it!!! Real carbon fiber might be stronger and more durable, but it would get scratched to hell faster than an anno would. We got to play with the real deal in school, but who am i to know :hail: :rolleyes:

Well, it's not just a sheet of cabron fiber with sticky stuff on one side. It's an epoxy resin soaked and coated carbon fiber sheet. it is very strong and would be as durable as standard anno.

Coray
11-23-2004, 04:35 PM
Whoa thats awesome :cool:

phantomhitman
11-23-2004, 06:40 PM
someone said earlier it was just carbon fiber look alike stuff, no one every confirmed what exactly was on the marker. i wouldnt mind having this on my gun, but wouldnt it throw off the tolerences? Also, do you heat this to apply it or what?

Muzikman
11-23-2004, 07:16 PM
someone said earlier it was just carbon fiber look alike stuff, no one every confirmed what exactly was on the marker. i wouldnt mind having this on my gun, but wouldnt it throw off the tolerences? Also, do you heat this to apply it or what?

Well the one that is completly done, I have no idea if that is carbon fiber or not. But the Karta body sitting on the glass case is a carbon fiber wrapped body. There is no heat involved and it is only placed where it would not throw off the tolerences. It's kinda like powdercoating. You do not put it where the body meets the rail and so forth.

phantomhitman
11-23-2004, 07:21 PM
muzik,
do you know who did that karta body that was wrapped? it looks to be done very neatly, and I might be interested in doing that also. thanks for any info

mobius
11-23-2004, 08:23 PM
The complete ULE Mag above is not carbon fiber wrapped. If it was done by SPO Gear, .ike the FS thread says, here is a quote from SPO regarding their finishing proccess:

"Additionally, there are a few special instructions regarding the camouflage coating on the SPO versions. Unlike anodizing, although nearly as tough, the camouflage is a surface application, and as such is susceptible to damage from rough handling as well as from misuse of abrasive or corrosive chemicals or cleaners.

The camouflaging process entails a primer coat, the camouflage application and a final clear coat. "

So, as you can see, it is not real carbon fiber, but a paintlike finish designed to look like it.

craltal
11-23-2004, 09:02 PM
The complete ULE Mag above is not carbon fiber wrapped. If it was done by SPO Gear, .ike the FS thread says, here is a quote from SPO regarding their finishing proccess:

"Additionally, there are a few special instructions regarding the camouflage coating on the SPO versions. Unlike anodizing, although nearly as tough, the camouflage is a surface application, and as such is susceptible to damage from rough handling as well as from misuse of abrasive or corrosive chemicals or cleaners.

The camouflaging process entails a primer coat, the camouflage application and a final clear coat. "

So, as you can see, it is not real carbon fiber, but a paintlike finish designed to look like it.

Actually I might be carbon fiber, the description is for their camo coating, not the fiber coating. They could very well be two completely different processes.

Muzikman
11-23-2004, 09:06 PM
muzik,
do you know who did that karta body that was wrapped? it looks to be done very neatly, and I might be interested in doing that also. thanks for any info

Colin did that himself. He was talking about maybe making it an option if they could get the process down. It's not too simple to do, so my guess is that it will not happen, but maybe for some extra $$ he would do a custom job. The one in the picture had some flaws in it though.

thecavemankevin
11-24-2004, 01:21 PM

Example of real CF:

http://www.gtspec.com/products/exterior/images/wrxhood_029.jpg

duh, no i don't think i know what REAL carbon fiber looks like
:tard:

http://www.jayloo.com/files/pics/9000/IMGA1381_3466_rs.JPG

oh wait, is that REAL carbon fiber grip pannels on my gun?!?!?!? :confused:

I think it is!!! :headbang:

what up now behotch? :D

craltal
11-24-2004, 04:19 PM
grow up. why are you acting like a three year old? There is no need to get argumentative when we are trying to have a civil discussion.

thecavemankevin
11-24-2004, 06:34 PM
grow up. why are you acting like a three year old? There is no need to get argumentative when we are trying to have a civil discussion.

clearly i wasn't talking to you. I was talking to someone that asked ME a direct question. I then answered with a rebuttle....even if it was a smart arse one, hence the ":D" in order to imply jest at the person that asked me the question. this never once concerned you!