PDA

View Full Version : How to approach boss and ask for raise

lord1234
11-23-2004, 11:06 AM
So it has come to my attention that they are now hiring new hires for a dollar more than I am getting paid...thats very unacceptable...so my question is how to approach the manager and say that in nice words...

Will Wood
11-23-2004, 11:12 AM
Things like this are why I love my boss.
"Hey you lazy bum, how about you put that raise through to payroll?"

But if you dont' have a cool boss,

Don't mention the thing about new comers at all. Simply state how you work hard, plan to stay with him for a while, are good at what you're doing.. etc, and ask for a dollar raise. He'll get the idea, but I think it would be bad to mention "hey.. they're getting a dollar more.."

lord1234
11-23-2004, 11:13 AM
well..the issue is that the topic of raises has been skirted around a lot...there are 2 of us in the department who have been there for 2 years and have not gotten a raise yet.

Will Wood
11-23-2004, 11:29 AM
2 years? YIKES
What's your current pay?

You deserve a raise. Go and ask for it. If he says no, unless you really enjoy your job, find a new one.

-=Squid=-
11-23-2004, 11:31 AM
Get a new non-by-the-hour job.

- Goro

TheDuelist
11-23-2004, 11:32 AM
Be careful. Most companies have a policy regarding knowledge of how much another employee makes. It could get messy if that comes up. What you need to do is take some time and talk to your boss. Explain why you feel you deserve a raise including what you contribute to the company whether through product knowledge or physical, hands on knowledge. Promote yourself as an asset. You say you have been there 2 years. If your boss has been there with you the whole time he will have a clear picture of what kind of employee you are.

TheTramp
11-23-2004, 12:20 PM
Just bribe him with homebrew! ;)

bornl33t
11-23-2004, 01:08 PM
2 years? YIKES
What's your current pay?

You deserve a raise. Go and ask for it. If he says no, unless you really enjoy your job, find a new one.

it's a job. Do you think they care an ounce about you? No it's all abou the money. Your expendable. Ask em for the raise. If not find a new job simple as that.

lord1234
11-23-2004, 01:30 PM
ragarding current pay: its 12 an hour
regarding my job status: i am a college student so no full time jobs for me unless i want to kill myself...

regarding homebrew: yes i plan on that...

GT
11-23-2004, 01:31 PM
So it has come to my attention that they are now hiring new hires for a dollar more than I am getting paid...thats very unacceptable...so my question is how to approach the manager and say that in nice words...

Ill give you the flip side perspective,
I was hired at about 3-4k more than another guy that does the same job as me, dont know the exact number but its around the ball park. I have maybe 3 years experience, he has about 15 and a masters. Difference is this guy is a complete moron. He actually had the balls to go to the boss and ask if our pay needed to be "equalitized," intresting term. He got laughed right out of the office...

I dont know what it is that you do. If you are in the professional world its more than appopriate to go to the boss, and lay out a logical case for a raise. Dont go and cry to him that the new dude is getting paid more than you, justifing your paty increase. You may not know the guys background enough to compare it to your own.

If you are not in the professional world, some part time student job with no bennifits, you can try to get a raise but the fact that you are unskilled labor works aganist you. In otherwords there are plenty of guys like you in the world and you can either work at lower pay and like it or leave.

RevBrown
11-23-2004, 02:11 PM
Be careful. Most companies have a policy regarding knowledge of how much another employee makes. It could get messy if that comes up. What you need to do is take some time and talk to your boss. Explain why you feel you deserve a raise including what you contribute to the company whether through product knowledge or physical, hands on knowledge. Promote yourself as an asset. You say you have been there 2 years. If your boss has been there with you the whole time he will have a clear picture of what kind of employee you are.

This is the best advice you could recievce.

Don't forget remain calm and confident. Really take stock of the things you do that make you a good employee right down to changing toilet paper.
Sell your strengths and show him/her how you have improved your weaknesses.

jdev
11-23-2004, 02:51 PM
are they paying part time guys $1 more than you, or full time guys?

if its full time guys, you really have no grounds for asking for a raise.

come to think of it, you better be able to back up why you are worthy of said raise you ask for. try not to use excuses like "that guy makes more than me" because it comes across as unprofessional. I wouldnt give you a raise based on that. You need to prove merit worthy or a raise. i recommend reading the carrers section of msn. there are some helpful tips that may get you a raise. some of them i followed, and got a $1.25/hr raise recently.

WicKeD_WaYz
11-23-2004, 03:21 PM
and if he says no....you come to work on monday :shooting: :shooting: :shooting:

jdev
11-23-2004, 05:07 PM
and if he says no....you come to work on monday :shooting: :shooting: :shooting:

i sincerely hope that was a joke. a poor one at that. you do realize that both of us work in the same state that the edgewater technologies incident happened at. meaning, our state seems to spawn people who think its ok to shoot up their workplace..

tony3
11-23-2004, 05:47 PM
I wouldn't ask for a raise. My dad has started at the bottom managing a bookstore university with a horrible boss who payed him half what he wanted. He worked hard and now is the boss of his old boss that was horrible to him. He has never asked for a raise once, that is advice he always gives me, to never ask for a raise, even if you deserve it, makes you look like a harder worker.

Automaggin2
11-23-2004, 05:54 PM
O well, deal with it I guess. My mom is a nurse and they are hiring new nurses out of college with bonuses of up to 20,000 dollers and they are getting paid then her and coworkers that have been working at her hospital for over 20 years.

Or maybe they think you suck and are trying to get you to quit since they have no grounds to fire you on. :rolleyes:

BeaverEater
11-23-2004, 07:09 PM
Well since you give no reason for a raise except "he makes more than me" :cry: DONT ask for one. There could be many other reasons factoring into why he makes more, and maybe he has more experience. If you've worked there for a long time that might be some leverage for a raise but not much more.

bofh
11-23-2004, 07:55 PM
Well since you give no reason for a raise except "he makes more than me" :cry: DONT ask for one. There could be many other reasons factoring into why he makes more, and maybe he has more experience. If you've worked there for a long time that might be some leverage for a raise but not much more.

Seconded... however, a new hire does give you a good idea of what you can base your value on.

Frankly, work the "I've been here two years without an increase in pay, and yet I have grown to do the job better and faster then when I started. I am clearly a more valuable employee than I was two years ago." side of the arguement.

I do this every year with my clients. The tough part is that you actually have to get better every year. :)

Lohman446
11-23-2004, 08:30 PM
Here it is - this is something management will love in theory, though I have hated this question.

Go to your boss - ask him to make you a list of the things in your job that are important to him, and to priortize them for you. He will likely come up with 15-20 things. Look at the list and be careful on the first five, especially the first one. Perform these duties better than anyone else (as they are wondering what the boss is looking for). Do this for a month, go to your boss again and ask him to prioritize a list of what you can do to improve your job performance. You will get a list this time too, again concentrate on this list, this is what your boss cares about... by now you should be close to getting a raise - if you have not been offered it in your two meetings (where you have not asked but have shown obvious interest in doing your job better) its time to ask for another list of what you can improve. Your boss will of course then, to be politically correct, tell you how much he has appreciated your attempt to improve and your improvements - booyah time to ask for a raise.

WicKeD_WaYz
11-23-2004, 10:22 PM
i sincerely hope that was a joke. a poor one at that. you do realize that both of us work in the same state that the edgewater technologies incident happened at. meaning, our state seems to spawn people who think its ok to shoot up their workplace..

umm yeaaa i was kidding. sorry if i came across as someone who likes it when people get shot. :confused:

mcveighr
11-23-2004, 10:33 PM
You could always work 1$ less hard than the other guy.

BlackVCG
11-24-2004, 02:21 AM
I couldn't agree more. With hard work, rewards will come to you. Be humble in everything you do and you'll soon be making more money than you know what to do with. If your boss/manager is a person worth working for, they will recognize your character and pay you what you deserve. If not, then with humility, leave that job and find a new one.

I wouldn't ask for a raise. My dad has started at the bottom managing a bookstore university with a horrible boss who payed him half what he wanted. He worked hard and now is the boss of his old boss that was horrible to him. He has never asked for a raise once, that is advice he always gives me, to never ask for a raise, even if you deserve it, makes you look like a harder worker.

Gtask8
11-24-2004, 01:27 PM
Get a new non-by-the-hour job.

- Goro

I do that. I get paid in tips only, makes me about $10-$20 an hour! :dance:

Lakeview Bulldog
11-25-2004, 12:32 AM
I do not know what prices are like in your area, but in Ohio $12 an hour is a VERY GOOD job for anyone without a college degree or more than 3 years expirience in a skilled trade. I work 45-50hrs a week for less than you make part time, and I go to school part time also. Do not risk anything that may antagonize your boss. Just work hard, be humble, and finish your schooling. Thats the best advice I could give.