PDA

View Full Version : what's a rear diff on a 94 4x4 ranger cost?

bornl33t
11-23-2004, 01:05 PM
Some show in Ames is trying to charge my bro 1800$ to fix something in the rear diff. Now he's calling telling him the axles are pitted. I dunno if there's anything differance in a 4x4 vs a 2wd differential but that's high isn't it? I'm just trying to figure you for sure before I flip out on the guy. If he's thinking he's gonna take my bro to the cleaner just because he can then I'm gonna have his balls hanging from my rearview so quick....my bro is in collage and can't afford this, and the truck isn't worth 1800$. THe original estimate was 1000$ and he's slowly pushing the price up there.

joez
11-23-2004, 01:28 PM
It should be an 8.8" Ford rear axle, you should be able to pick one up from a junkyard for under $200.

Pitted axles sounds like he is just trying to take him, unless the splines are twisted, there is no reason to replace them, ever. And no factory ranger motor is gonna be twisting splines trust me. Any reputable shop could install a new gearset and rebuild the whole rear end for well under a grand, this guy is just trying to suck every penny he can. Either fix it yourself, or at least take it to a different mechanic.

bornl33t
11-23-2004, 01:47 PM
that's what I was thinking. The ford 8.8 are easy to come by. I called the guy up already and asked if he could get a salvaged rear end and return what parts he's ordered, and so he's going to look into that. But I'm really curious what a pitted axle looks like.

PyRo
11-23-2004, 03:44 PM
Why did your brother ok him to order the parts if he knew it was going to be more than he could spend?
As has already been said go to the junkyard and get a rear. If the guy tells your brother he has to pay for the parts as long as your brother never told him or implied it was ok to order them he is under no obligation to pay and should tell the guy to shove it, although he is responsible for diagnostic fees.
Their are books that tell exactly how many hours certain jobs should take, if you can find one you can find out exactly how long the job should take and he cannot bill you for more time than that. Although they can charge diagnostic fees and for broken bolts.

bornl33t
11-23-2004, 04:46 PM
it's taken care of guys, thanks. We won't be going back to this shop again.