PDA

View Full Version : Questions about buying pistols.

slateman
11-23-2004, 07:32 PM
OK, so I;'m 22 years old. ANd I've been considering buying a pistol for a number of reason that we don't need to get into. Lets just say its not cause I think they're cool. I'm familar with guns in general and know how to handle them safely. At least at the range.

Anyway there are a couple issues.

Do I need some sort of concealed weapons permit? Is there anyplace I can't take it with it? (would want to carry it to college but I'm guessing thats not allowed)

Also, I'm planning on joining the Marines as soon as I get out of college. Am I gonna learn something that I'm gonna have to unlearn later?

And last, safety. Right now I'm living with my grandma. She lives not to far from a metro stop which is one of the reasons I wanna get a pistol. There are some rather unsavory characters that come off the train. But there are also grandchildren to think about. Besides keeping the ammo in a different place, is there anything I can do to make sure and accident doesn't happen?

I'm not completely sold on getting one yet. Its just something I'm considering. Thanks.

Glickman
11-23-2004, 08:25 PM
1- Do I need some sort of concealed weapons permit? Is there anyplace I can't take it with it? (would want to carry it to college but I'm guessing thats not allowed)

2-Also, I'm planning on joining the Marines as soon as I get out of college. Am I gonna learn something that I'm gonna have to unlearn later?

3-And last, safety. Right now I'm living with my grandma. She lives not to far from a metro stop which is one of the reasons I wanna get a pistol. There are some rather unsavory characters that come off the train. But there are also grandchildren to think about. Besides keeping the ammo in a different place, is there anything I can do to make sure and accident doesn't happen?

I'm not completely sold on getting one yet. Its just something I'm considering. Thanks.

1- you always need a permit for a concealed weapon. restrictions will depend on your state, and when you get your little blue book thing, itll give you all the details

2- dunno the answer to this one :rolleyes: but does it really matter?

3- definitly a locked box, bio-print ones are becomming more popular and cheaper, and the 5 button ones ive seen open by accident.

its really just readyness vs safety, and you have to find a neutral your comfortable with

everything you asked should be answered on the pamphlet that you recieve with your application, or so i believe

Eagle
11-23-2004, 08:30 PM
Well, I got my concealed carry permit through Chesterfield County. NO SCHOOLS. NO WHERE THAT SERVES ALCOHOL. I think banks are off limits too, but not sure. Any establishment that the owner says no. No courts. No places of worship without good reason (whatever good reason means). Probably missing something too. Check the website for your home town, it should tell you. As for what's required: no felonies, no violent crime (including domestic violence), Virginia residency, an aproved firearms safety course, fill out the forms at your local courthouse, cough up $50, go to the police station, get fingerprinted, wait 45 days for a background check, and you should be good. Permits should be good for 5 years I think.

slateman
11-23-2004, 11:28 PM
So no schools, not even a university?? Eh, that definitely is apoint agains conidering I spend so much time there.

I think that was all my questions about laws and policies. If I want suggestions, maybe I'll PM Army (though he's slightly busy if I remember).

Steelrat
11-24-2004, 12:51 AM
Some states REQUIRE that you carry it concealed.

Muzikman
11-24-2004, 01:18 AM
This may not sound like the "coolest" thing to do. But go to a local range and take a gun safety course. They are very good. i went through one when I was young and it covers everything you need to safely handle, carry and use your firearm. This also give you a contact that know what they are talkng about if you should ever have a question.

White_Noise
11-24-2004, 01:18 AM
pending on the state, some require it to be concealed when carried, some say it has to be in the open, others its just illegal to carry. like here in WI, its illegal to carry at all. there was a bill that got vetoed by the govenor a while back that stopped them from offering concealed carry permits.

also, if youre looking for a good firearm for home defense, id actually suggest a shotgun. they have lots of stopping power, with very little penetration when the correct ammunition is used. if youre set on a pistol, id suggest something in the caliber range of maybe 9mm to 45acp, again for stopping power and lack of room penetration, youd want to get specialty ammunition for when its at home. for safety id also suggest that you teach those living with you about gun safety/respect as well as getting a lock box or trigger lock.

really the locking mechanisms only apply when you have have small children or children that are very curious. in my house, ive known where the guns where since i was 4, and started shooting at 6, but because my parents tought me to respect them, i never touched the gus without their permission.

hope this helps you out.

magking1971
11-24-2004, 08:37 AM
www.packing.org should have all your local and state laws on CCP or CWP whatever you want to call it.
It will also list what other states you can carry in.
I had to ask around and find this site because when I got my CCP I asked if they had a list of the laws and the lady that worked at the COURTHOUSE that has had the same job for years had no idea and no books and no clue on any of the laws. :rolleyes:

Eagle
11-24-2004, 02:14 PM
yeah, packing .org is really good, just couldn't remember the url. In Virginia most places you can carry in the open, but to carry concealled requires the permit.

bjjb99
11-24-2004, 04:30 PM
also, if youre looking for a good firearm for home defense, id actually suggest a shotgun. they have lots of stopping power, with very little penetration when the correct ammunition is used.

Absolutely agree. You don't run as much risk of rounds exiting your house and visiting your neighbors while they're eating dinner.

A co-worker of mine recommended a plain old double-barrel shotgun. His rationale was that you're not likely to get in an extended firefight with someone in your home, so two shots should be enough to either scare off the assailant or put him down. He also figured that the limited ammunition reduced the likelihood of an assailant getting the shotgun away from you while it still contained unspent shells... after that, it's just a big metal club.

BJJB