PDA

View Full Version : Question for AGD Machinists

tippmannhunter8
11-24-2004, 11:34 PM
as a machinist myself i work for a company that makes out own v twin motors T.P. Engineering
i notice Tom, you use 6061 T6 aircraft grade aluminum for your ule series mainbodies and some other parts
to supply the massive amounts you have created of your product you must have some serious cnc machines going
to run our opporation we run about 2 mori seki's 1 haas, 2 okumas, 2 okumas crowns, and some real fast makinos
what do you prefer to use? and to create and x mag mainbody the dallara what kind of machine time are you looking at?

tippmannhunter8
11-24-2004, 11:44 PM
tom had them done in england? he does not bother with machine work himself? can't say i blame him its a very expensive investment i mean something so simple as the power going out can crash all of your machines broken tools and chucks i never thought of it that way man i wish i can get the program for the dallara body for one of the mori seki's

tippmannhunter8
11-24-2004, 11:53 PM
thank you but would there be some legal problems if i were to obtain the program and run a few for myself its not illegal unless i sell them- right? or if they are okay to sell them in that case you figure 35 dollars for the aluminum maybe 30 minutes machine time annother 45 for anno and some ball detents and i can make some serious money! although i think that they would kill me

Tunaman
11-25-2004, 06:44 AM
I believe Manike would be quite pissed if you started copying the Xmag body. i would ask him first. :D

AGD
11-25-2004, 12:49 PM
We job out our machining to a local shop that purchased the equipment we specified to make the parts. They use 5 axis, face to face chuck Mazak machines. The bodies come out complete with no secondaries thats how we keep the quality up.

AGD

tippmannhunter8
11-25-2004, 02:44 PM
would it be to much to ask if i were to obtain the program to run a slug body by any chance?
i would obviously not be upset if you said no it is purely your own design and for me to even ask is not to appropriate. I just wish more people saw the ingenuity behind the automag design it seems all of the guns now with this kind of board, and that kind of board, and a new milled design, and this color anno, is just the fad now and that seems to be all players care about
you ever notice that the angel lcd is now 2 years old and they are now junk with no spare parts and nobody wants them,
now look at an automag rt pro or an emag you have been manufacturing these guns with fresh new ideas like the lvl 10 bolt and these guns are still widely used and admired today by ones that appreciate the quality. These angels and intiminators the board fryies and its more or less junk, emags from the very first year they came out are still used hard to this day and still keep on kickin!
you have made lighter more resorurcefull mainbodies to your guns, you can't swap out a dm4 mainbody, and its allready replaced there is even a newer angel after the speed 05! you buy the gun and it is obsolete before it gets to your door!

I have had my emag for 2 years now i also have used and owned various others and i pound hard (beat up on) on that e mag, its been droped, wet, scratched, and covered in mud. now are you going to tell me that some of these angels, matrixs, and timmies can all take constant abuse and give you its all every time? i dont think so.

you are probubly told this all the time Tom, but your work is greatly appreciated and this is comming from very a big fan!
thanks
tom
the tippmannhunter

Tunaman
11-25-2004, 03:11 PM
I'll see if I can aquire a program similar to something that is already being produced. You are totally right about the quaility and retrofit of the AGD Products. Over the years I have seen the rise and fall of alot of guns but the AGD stuff keeps hangin in there. It certainly proves that "Quality always shoots straight"! Keep up the good work AGD! :D

tippmannhunter8
11-25-2004, 03:13 PM
thanks it would be nice

BlackVCG
11-25-2004, 07:10 PM
Asking someone for the CNC code is like asking a programmer for his software's source code. You just don't do it.

There is an autocad .dwg file in the Tech Forum. You can use that to get the dimensions and go from there.

Muzikman
11-25-2004, 07:14 PM
Or just buy a raw slug, that is what they are for.

As for the Xmag, if that is what you wanted to machine, it's a tad more than 30 mins of machine time. It more like 4 hours or something.

tippmannhunter8
11-25-2004, 07:17 PM
if its 4 hours that is one slow @#%^ machine

Muzikman
11-25-2004, 07:38 PM
No, it's just a very complex design. I'll see if I can get Simon's attention to this thread as he know all the specifics.

tippmannhunter8
11-25-2004, 07:41 PM
who is simon? and i hope i have not stirred up some trouble here i only wanted to have an x mag and say that i made it thats all! if i am pissing people off here i will stop posting and go back to the classifieds were i usually am and drop the idea of making one
sorry if i have troubled you
John Romano

Muzikman
11-25-2004, 07:49 PM
If you wanna maching your own, contact John Sosta of AGD Europe. I don't see them just giving you the tool paths, but who knows.

Carbon
11-25-2004, 08:47 PM
Man i wish i could get in on all this but im just and end user, with little to no concept of the logistical aspects of CNC machining and procedures. The best ive ever done was make wiodgets at FOX Racing Shox. Put the peices in, clamp, activate machine, measure then repeat 200X over.

tippmannhunter8
11-25-2004, 09:35 PM
well programing a cnc machine is no walk in the park but after that if you can read and understand the screen you have got it my friend

AGD
11-25-2004, 10:06 PM
It took more than an hour to machine JUST the cosmetics on the xmag bodies. Each pass was incremented .005 if I remember right and there were over 3000 passes. That doesn't include the internals, the breach block or the sear mounts etc. No we dont give out the programs because we dont want look alike parts being confused with ours. You would be much smarter to buy a slug and have at it.

AGD

tippmannhunter8
11-25-2004, 10:16 PM
understandable i would be pretty pissed if someone made a real lousy version of my product and made my business known for its quality look bad perfectly understandable
how much do those slugs go for though and type of aluminum do you use tom?

White Wolf
11-25-2004, 11:24 PM
also as you should know, any one elses code is worthless on another machine unless you have the same exact setup, tools, jigs and fixtures.

With all theses people that have access to these machines one would think more of them would know how to reverse engineer parts.

tippmannhunter8
11-25-2004, 11:31 PM
well that is not nessarily true (i dont care about my spelling) with some of the more state of the art machines and the tools that are currently loaded in some of these machines i believe that they would have no trouble running the program and making a flawless piece in fact some of these new makinos could even do it and a significant less amount of time

MindJob
11-26-2004, 08:17 AM
Dude.. if you have those types of resourses at your disposal, than coming up with your own design wouldnt be too terribly difficult.

I'd like to see what you could come up with.

Target Practice
11-26-2004, 06:09 PM
MindJob brings up a good point. I am rather curious about the setup that you have access to. It sounds rather extensive, and being in the industry, it is always fun to see other setups. I would also be interested to see your design.

tippmannhunter8
11-26-2004, 06:14 PM
well i never really put much thought into creating one i just dont have a nack for autocad i suppose i could possibly cook up something but i am a perfectionist and for me everything must be perfect if i take the time to create something meaning it could take millenia lol
although something fresh and simple i can take a slug stick it on one of out okuma computer laythes and make a real deep spiral all the way down the body that would be cool but not real original
(i am open to suggestions here people)

slade
11-26-2004, 07:36 PM
if you need ideas, look at this thead: http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=150964

Ada Bita BdC
12-14-2004, 01:57 PM
tippmann, if you do start designing somethin on your own. You know who to let beta test it :rolleyes: ;)

Will Wood
12-14-2004, 02:08 PM
If I had the answers to you questions, I (But that's me... so it doesn't say much :)) would probably not give them to you, if not for the reason of protecting my design, because you're posts are really .. childish? You seem like the typical 13 year old poster..
That's not a flame, it's a suggestion. Try to capitilize the i's, try to use punctuation. It might help with better responces in the future.

And as he said, if you come up with any designs, show em off here first chance ya get!! We love to see new stuff. If you design something cool enough on the Slug, I'm sure you could even get some customers!

tippmannhunter8
12-14-2004, 04:38 PM
i have looked at some of these threads and i wouldnt want to upset anybody by taking there design so i used them as purely insperation and i think i may have come up with something i and going to start it on cad tonight i have a good feeling about this though its not the most amazing body in the world though i tryed the incorperate something never thought of before my own idea and tom you should check this out:

on every rail i have ever used the milling cut into the rail were the valve locks in plack sees a significant amount of abuse you will often find the edges being "rounded" and worn i have developed using stainless steel and 6061 grade T6, a sleeve that fits into the aluminum were the grooves are i think this will eliminate the rounding and ware

i have several other excellent ideas i try not to concentrate on looks but more on uses like life expectancy and overall weight. I look at the automag and i look for areas that see alot of ware take the angel for example if you ever look where the bolt moves back and forth directly under the vertical feed you will see alot of ware i think my sleeve idea would be a wonderful application in that senario as well
Tom especaily, let me know what you think.

the secure the sleeve in the automags case i cut round cylindric studs in the bottom of the rail and red locktited them in

in fact i am considering modding rails for people i will cut out the grooving in the rail bore my two holes into the mainbody for the placement theres plenty of depth to play with

another idea you can do is instead of studs cut at the bottom of the sleeve put two holes at the bottom tap the inside where the holes line up and put some screws with red locktite on it this would create still a light rail and a durable one as well!

frop
12-14-2004, 05:04 PM
ALong the lines of what beemer & slade said, talk to ClassicMagger, he may be interested in having you do some prototyping.