PDA

View Full Version : Lexan Windows

Adrenaline_Junkie
11-25-2004, 11:28 AM
Ok, im thinking about getting all fiberglass doors, fenders, quarter panels etc. for my 81 Z28 and the site im gonna buy the stuff from says they recomend lexan windows. The thing is, the picture they show makes it look like lexan windows are fixed widows (most likly because fiberglass is usually used with drag cars). I was wondering if anyone knew whether or not you could use them like normal windows and have them roll up and down. None of my other cars have fiberglass doors or lexan wondows so i dont know anything about it. Anyway, any information would be great, thanks.

Muzikman
11-25-2004, 12:51 PM
I do not have experiance with Lexan in car windows, but I can tell ya, lexan does scratch easily. If you plan on this being a daily driver, I don't see this being a smart move. Also, I can see them being fixed as lexan is not overly rigid like plexiglass or normal glass, so my guess is that you would not be able to wind them down.

Adrenaline_Junkie
11-25-2004, 01:01 PM
Yeah, i think im gonna have to stick with my stock heavy as heck doors lol. Ill just do everything else fiberglass. Half the car is already fiberglass so im already half way there.

Deep Sixx
11-25-2004, 01:55 PM
You probably could rig something up so you could lower and raise them, but the first time you did it they would be scratched to the point of being unuseable. Also, when Lexan shatters, it can splinter... obviously not something you'd want in a car window. I'd stick with auto safety glass.

sixx

Destructo6
11-25-2004, 03:57 PM
I see the problem being with the fiberglass doors. If they're intended for racing, they probably don't have the mounting points for the window regulator, crank, channels, and other various bits needed for roll up windows.

If you're not going to use this as a drag car, I would put neither the fiberglass doors nor lexan windows on it.

Adrenaline_Junkie
11-25-2004, 08:13 PM
Yeah, its gonna be kinda annoying though. The rest of my car is gonna be fiberglass except for my windows lol. The doors right now are so friggin heavy. I dont wanna have to buy a huge arse solonoid to open the doors (im going to use a shaved door handle kit) cus it costs more than i wanna spend. O well, this thing is still gonna haul azz when im done with it.

skife
11-25-2004, 08:44 PM
Yeah, its gonna be kinda annoying though. The rest of my car is gonna be fiberglass except for my windows lol. The doors right now are so friggin heavy. I dont wanna have to buy a huge arse solonoid to open the doors (im going to use a shaved door handle kit) cus it costs more than i wanna spend. O well, this thing is still gonna haul azz when im done with it.

psssh, quit complainging about door weight.

i've got a 1980 cutlass supreme

my doors = heavier than yours

PyRo
11-25-2004, 09:05 PM
If this is a daily driver this is a bad idea.

Adrenaline_Junkie
11-25-2004, 09:55 PM
Its not really gonna be a daily driver, im only gonna drive it during the summer sometimes. I dont think im gonna get fiberglass doors though lol. The doors are pretty dang heavy though. 2 door 1981 Z28. The doors on my 68 SS seem far lighter. Anyway, idk what im gonna do yet but the fiberglass doors seem outta the question.