PDA

View Full Version : My mom rolled her SUV *PICS*

CaptaiN_JacK
11-26-2004, 01:05 PM
My mom got into an accident today around 8 am, as the title says. She hit ice on an overpass above I-35, oversteered (darn women drivers), and proceeded to catch air (as one witness saw), roll the Trailblazer 2 times before hitting a tree and coming to a stop...sideways. Multiple cars stopped to see if she was OK, which she was. She even called my dad while still buckled into the seat. A man helped her out through the driver side window, which was already broken. My dad and I arrived about 25 minutes later. Miraculously enough, the only damage she recieved was a broken nail, literally. The Trailblazer, unfortunatly, was totaled (most likely), and it's ironic, becasue my mom paid the last car payment last month :cuss: .

Lesson: Watch out for icy overpasses, especially if you have cruise control on.

MiniSpdRcr
11-26-2004, 01:12 PM
Im glad she made it out ok...from what the roof looks like it seems she might have gotten more injuries...all in all I am glad that shes ok.

Tell her sorry about the car...and the nail

LudavicoSoldier
11-26-2004, 01:30 PM
Photoshop them license plates out!

Steelrat
11-26-2004, 01:43 PM
Thank goodness she is okay.

SlartyBartFast
11-26-2004, 01:47 PM
oversteered (darn women drivers)

Hope you menat that in jest. Very few people can avoid oversteering.

And I think far more testosterone filled teen males roll cars than women of any age.

MedicDVG
11-26-2004, 01:51 PM
Glad to see another seatbelt did its job. Looks like she biffed the tree pretty hard.
I am VERY glad to hear your mom is ok. In my line of work, we like to see the happy endings but most often unfortunately we don't. So kids, wear your seatbelts!

Deep Sixx
11-26-2004, 01:59 PM
Totalled? No way... you can buff that right out! ;)

Seriously, glad your Mom's ok.

sixx

punkncat
11-26-2004, 02:00 PM
Definately chorus the sentiment that moms OK.

If they don't total it I would be suprized.

splatattack33
11-26-2004, 02:11 PM
my mom smashed her blazer into a tree about 1 1/2 weeks ago and like she was goin up a hill and it was the first day of snow and she started fishtailing and did a complete circle and smashed a tree on the drivers side she was mmk though but it did 6000$ worth of damage

teufelhunden
11-26-2004, 02:17 PM
Again, glad to hear your mom is alright.

And that car is good and totalled.. time to start shopping ;) [as I just get back from the dealer.... :mad: ]

TDonovan
11-26-2004, 02:18 PM
Glad she's alright, coulda been a lot worse. But from what I hear trailblazers are pretty solid cars as far as crashing goes.

SlipknotX556
11-26-2004, 02:23 PM
Glad shes ok.

Remember kids, always wear your seatbelts, they do save lives. :dance:

krafty
11-26-2004, 02:32 PM
Let this be a lesson to you all...

never pay off your vehicle! Once you mail in that last check you're toast!

bornl33t
11-26-2004, 02:40 PM

kekekekeke :D

SlartyBartFast
11-26-2004, 03:01 PM

Should be thankful that is WAS paid off in full. Nothing sucks more than not being fully insured and having to pay for a vehicle you no longer have.

It sucks even more if you total a vehicle and can't afford to make two car payments. All the pain of paying for a car, none of the mobility. :(

Lesson: While you're paying it off, be sure to have full insurance coverage.

Deep Sixx
11-26-2004, 03:44 PM
Lesson: While you're paying it off, be sure to have full insurance coverage.

Legally, you have to. At least here you do.

sixx

SlartyBartFast
11-26-2004, 03:46 PM
Legally, you have to. At least here you do.

sixx

Everywhere you need to be insured to cover damage you do to others.

But in most places, whether you insure against damage you cause to yourself or your own property or whether you insure against collisions/damage where another can't be held responsible, it's up to you.

Are you sure that TWO WAY insurance is leagally required where you are?

PyRo
11-26-2004, 04:14 PM
Totalled? No way... you can buff that right out! ;)

Seriously, glad your Mom's ok.

sixx
I'd have driven it home :)

Muzikman
11-26-2004, 04:16 PM
In most states (if not all) You have to have total covererage if you still have payments on the car. This prevents the bank from not getting their money. If you still owe on the car and get into a wreck and total the car. That insurance money goes to the back to cover what ever is remaining on the loan. You get what ever is left over.

PyRo
11-26-2004, 04:17 PM
It isn't legally required but when you are leasing, financing, paying off a loan on it, etc the company lending you the money requires you have have full coverage. They want to make sure their is no trouble with them getting their money if you wreck it.

Muzikman
11-26-2004, 04:18 PM
It isn't legally required but when you are leasing, financing, paying off a loan on it, etc the company lending you the money requires you have have full coverage. They want to make sure their is no trouble with them getting their money if you wreck it.

In PA it's the law. If you do not carry insurance, you lose your car.

fire1811
11-26-2004, 04:22 PM
in illinois if you paying for it you must have full coverage. if its payed for all you have to have is liability ins.

and glad your moms ok. she is very lucky

CaptaiN_JacK
11-26-2004, 04:29 PM
Another thing is that almost 1 year earlier (December 15th) I got in a crash and totaled out my sisters Blazer...coincidence?

*This is what happens when a 16 year old driving a 3/4 ton extended cab pickup runs a stop sign going 45 mph (police estimate). I was driving, no passengers. Again, thank god for seatbelts! (and the fact that I am 5'7" and 120 lbs and can fit into that crumpled up can of a car)

fire1811
11-26-2004, 04:37 PM
her are a few crashes i have been on recently
all had........deadly outcomes

fire1811
11-26-2004, 04:43 PM
more
both car vs semi's

the van is a safari
it had 6 people in it

fire1811
11-26-2004, 04:45 PM
so basically what i am saying is be careful.

and thank god that your mom is ok.

1stdeadeye
11-26-2004, 05:10 PM
Glad she is okay.

When anyone hits ice, they are pretty much screwed. Very tough to compensate for ice at speed.

grw4w34
11-26-2004, 07:33 PM
Looks like one of those crashes was a news van. I totalled my corolla this summer, probably 3 months after the car was payed for. Glad to hear your mom is ok.

fire1811
11-26-2004, 07:34 PM
it was a news fan
thats about all i can say on that one

bornl33t
11-26-2004, 11:01 PM
that last one is the first rue MINI van I've seen in a long time....lol
Those are some nasty accidents. I actually considered applying for the local FD but as with everything I was wanting to be sure before I comited myself. That weekend I was the first car to stop at the sight of an accident on the interstate where a 8 year old boy was killed when she drunk dad ran into the back of a dead on the side of the road flatbed. I was miserable for weeks and decited I wouldn't be able to handle those kinda things. :(

MonsterMag
11-26-2004, 11:18 PM
Glad to hear she's ok , I girl from my high school was driving down a road and swerved to avoid hitting a dear , and hit a semi , she passed away :(

tony3
11-26-2004, 11:45 PM
that last one is the first rue MINI van I've seen in a long time....lol
Those are some nasty accidents. I actually considered applying for the local FD but as with everything I was wanting to be sure before I comited myself. That weekend I was the first car to stop at the sight of an accident on the interstate where a 8 year old boy was killed when she drunk dad ran into the back of a dead on the side of the road flatbed. I was miserable for weeks and decited I wouldn't be able to handle those kinda things. :(

This one cop is a subsitute at my school very often and is also a part time police officer. He is working on his teaching degree so he can quite being a cop. He says he would always be depressed because it is always so negative. He couldn't handle it.

Glad your mom is alright, darn suv's and their rolloverness!

PyRo
11-27-2004, 01:18 AM
In PA it's the law. If you do not carry insurance, you lose your car.
I ment most states do require you to have insurance but they don't require you to have insurance for damage to your own vehicle.

gc82000
11-27-2004, 01:56 AM
see this is why all rides should be dropped, and 22s on them. :D

PyRo
11-27-2004, 10:45 AM
see this is why all rides should be dropped, and 22s on them. :D
Yeah, huge rims greatly increase your cars stopping ablility.
Playing with the suspention imporves handling.
You also accelerate much faster.

Caffiend
11-27-2004, 06:54 PM
Glad to hear your mom is okay, ask her if she enjoyed the trip :D

Sonuva!!! I just paid off my Rodeo.

In most states (if not all) You have to have total covererage if you still have payments on the car. This prevents the bank from not getting their money. If you still owe on the car and get into a wreck and total the car. That insurance money goes to the back to cover what ever is remaining on the loan. You get what ever is left over.

That's what both AZ and IA require, when I totaled my first Rodeo, they paid off the rest of the loan then gave me the rest. Thank god the other driver was at 100% fault so my rates didn't go up :bounce:

anonymousbill123
12-01-2004, 12:21 AM
thank god it was an suv

SlartyBartFast
12-01-2004, 11:30 AM
thank god it was an suv

Why? In single car accidents and roll-overs SUVs are usually much more dangerous than cars.

rkjunior303
12-01-2004, 11:34 AM
Man, that's rough. Glad to hear your mom is ok. Something similar happened to a buddy of mine and his Explorer.

He was driving into work during the snow and hit a patch of ice... The car spun sideways and hit the lip between the road and an overpass (the steel plate). Ended up barrel rolling the car 8 times...... Noooo thanks!

Pictures like that should remind everyone to wear their seatbelts.

skife
12-01-2004, 12:01 PM
Why? In single car accidents and roll-overs SUVs are usually much more dangerous than cars.

I think he means "one less SUV on the road"

SlartyBartFast
12-01-2004, 12:16 PM
I think he means "one less SUV on the road"

:rofl:

THAT I can agree with. :clap:

MadChild
12-01-2004, 01:01 PM
damn dude tahts no good...glad shes all right and good luck with a new car lol

anonymousbill123
12-01-2004, 08:27 PM

dumb****. suvs are built a hell of a lot stronger that a f'n car. and they have the same safety features. sorry but in case of a roll-over i would much rather be in a safer suv that a car that would scrunched up into some odd shape.

nerobro
12-02-2004, 11:36 AM
A "normal" car probally would not have rolled. SUV's don't belong in the hands of most drivers. They require extra care due to longer braking distances, higher centers of gravity, and lower tipover angles.

This is also why preformance driving classes should be manditory. Save your mom.... if mazda revitup comes near you, FORCE HER TO GO. It's the cheapest way to get some experience. It can only help.

I am glad she is ok. I hope she makes a more senceable choice on her next vehicle.

SlartyBartFast
12-02-2004, 11:38 AM
dumb****. suvs are built a hell of a lot stronger that a f'n car. and they have the same safety features. sorry but in case of a roll-over i would much rather be in a safer suv that a car that would scrunched up into some odd shape.

[let it be noted that I am not the first to insult anyone personally in this thread]

Insult me all you want cretin (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/thesaurus?book=Thesaurus&va=cretin&x=17&y=11). Bypassing the cuss filters with *'s is stricke one, not having the intelligence to debate an issue and instead resorting to personal attacks is strike two.

Strike three is that you don't have a clue about what your saying. I'm not sure if the IIHS still let's you download the crash test videos, but go try. You'll be scraed out of your skull how poorly some SUVs perform in crashes. The worst was an Izuzu that literally folded in half during a 50mph offset crash. Even the best rated ones don't fare as well as midrated cars and passenger vehicles.

SUVs and other truck rated vehicles don't have to meet the same crashworthiness or rollover standards (nor are they counted in the same manner towards CAFE standards) as passenger vehicles to be allowed on the road. IMO a loophole that should have been closed years ago.

cphilip
12-02-2004, 11:45 AM
in illinois if you paying for it you must have full coverage. if its payed for all you have to have is liability ins.

and glad your moms ok. she is very lucky

Those are all not state laws other than liability and in some state uninsured motorist coverages. Those are laws.

The requirement to have full coverage is a "condition of the loan". Its something you agree too in your loan application. And its enforceable only by the Creditors actions. They by "contract law" can cancel your loan and call it in immediately if you do not keep and carry it. And then repo car and stick you with any negative balance when they sell it to settle the loan. You would be guilty of fraud if you agreed to it and did not carry it. And they periodicaly check to see if you have it.

Glad your mother is fine. Cars are cheap compared to Moms.

fire1811
12-02-2004, 01:39 PM
ahh true overlooked that
what i was trying to say was
i was checking the specs on the roader-gerger......im retarded :)