PDA

View Full Version : Break up the 9th Circuit Court?

1stdeadeye
11-26-2004, 09:22 PM
Wow! Congress is trying to break the 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals into 3 different zones. They would create the 12th and 13th Circuits. This would break up the most liberal and often over turned court in the nation.

At first glance it seemed political, until you delve deeper. They are the slowest, most over loaded court in the nation.

Gasp an idea that actually makes sense.

Story here! (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,139436,00.html)

Fred
11-26-2004, 09:56 PM
YAY!

If you look at the size of that circuit, just geographically its crazy that its lasted so long.

---Fred

Steelrat
11-27-2004, 12:38 AM
The 9th circuit bugs me more than you will ever know, BUT they do a good job of playing devil's advocate, and occasionally get some things right. Normally I might be more in favor of adjusting things, but given the current political climate, I have a feeling that this has less to do and problems with the 9th circuit, and more to do with removing impediments to political agendas.

Lohman446
11-27-2004, 10:22 AM
You suppose when they break it up they will hire competent judges, or at least ones that have read the same constitution that I have.

taylor492
11-27-2004, 10:36 AM
Oh yeah me and the 9th circuit court are not on speaking terms. Ever since they snuffed me at this party we were at last year. JERKS!

;) :tard:

Kevmaster
11-27-2004, 10:58 AM
You suppose when they break it up they will hire competent judges, or at least ones that have read the same constitution that I have.

****, im certain theres a ''secret half' that neither i nor any non judge has seen

there must be with some of their rulings

Steelrat
11-27-2004, 11:44 AM
Strict adherance to the constitution as a basis for legal decisions went out the window a long time ago, and not just in the 9th circuit.

Lohman446
11-27-2004, 11:48 AM
This would break up the most often over turned court in the nation.
![/URL]

Read this as "most often wrong" and you will understand my concept of competence. Its not that they are just slightly off in some of there rulings they are so far off from contemporary (sp) interpertation as to to be radical. I don't want radical, politically motivated judges of either side - how they managed to get an entire circuit is beyond me. Any modern court that is as often overturned as this one is becomes simply incompetent and is adding to the back log of cases of the courts above it. An occassional "maverick" decision is one thing, but to do it as often as the 9th circuit is just irresponsible.

Pickle
11-27-2004, 01:56 PM
The 9th circuit is the most overturned court in the US. Some mostly, most!

CasingBill
11-28-2004, 05:51 PM
They shouldnt be broken up. They should be .......oh nevermind!

TheTramp
11-30-2004, 03:19 PM
Normally I might be more in favor of adjusting things, but given the current political climate, I have a feeling that this has less to do and problems with the 9th circuit, and more to do with removing impediments to political agendas.

You must hate America. ;)

LONG LIVE KING GEORGE!!!

Steelrat
11-30-2004, 03:27 PM
You must hate America. ;)

LONG LIVE KING GEORGE!!!

Thanks :D Everyone needs to remember that if the 9th circut was broken up, another court will become the most overturned court in the US. Will we keep doing this until there is zero deviation from the desired results? The courts are supposed to be separate from the Legislative and Executive branches. Is it appropriate for the other two branches to meddle with the judicial branch if they do not like the decisions coming out of there?

1stdeadeye
11-30-2004, 05:42 PM
Thanks :D Everyone needs to remember that if the 9th circut was broken up, another court will become the most overturned court in the US. Will we keep doing this until there is zero deviation from the desired results? The courts are supposed to be separate from the Legislative and Executive branches. Is it appropriate for the other two branches to meddle with the judicial branch if they do not like the decisions coming out of there?

They are the slowest and most back logged too. They cover a huge area. They are talking about adding two new circuits to remedy that!

Pickle
11-30-2004, 05:52 PM
I can not remember the exact numbers but the 9th circuit is overturned approximately 90% of the time their decisions goe to the US Supreme court. Seems to me to be a lot :eek:. There is a judge (retired) in Orange County that sentenced 7 people to death row. All of them were overturned by the ninth court.

Southpaw
12-01-2004, 12:40 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/09/02/death.penalty/
and
http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/archives/003380.html

Very interesting the supreme court overturned 75% of the cases. I wish I had a job where I could be wrong 75% of the time!!

Lohman446
12-01-2004, 04:36 PM

Yes, it is the system of checks and balances - it takes both other branches to do this, and if both other branches beleives it needs done and have the political will to do it, maybe it should be.