PDA

View Full Version : car audio equipment

Mojojojo
11-05-2001, 07:21 PM
anyone have any suggestions for car audio equipment..here is what i'm thinking of running

pioneer head unit...
6 1/2 pioneer front
6*9 4 way pioneer rear
2 12" mtx thunder 4000's in a sealed box...

and maybe another 2-3 more 6*9's in my trunk....maybe...

any suggestions?

Eric

Flamebo
11-05-2001, 07:29 PM
I got a full Pioneer Audio system at 60% off because my mother works there... I just thought I'd share that...

Zumina
11-05-2001, 08:04 PM
so you can hook us up right?

Pioneer stuff is decent for the price, but I'd reccomend Kenwood components over them if money is not an issue. As far as your sub selection goes, it depends on where you're putting the box. If it's going in a back seat, I'd go with two MTX 10" Blue Thunder subs in a fiberglass bandpass box. A good set of 10" will hit just as hard as the older MTX 12"s will; simply because you'll be feeding them the same amount of power, however, the smaller subs make better use of it.

Miscue
11-05-2001, 09:03 PM
Mojojojo... how much are you willing to invest, and what kind of results are you looking for?

Also, what kinda vehicle?

Ityl
11-06-2001, 03:16 PM
4-ways are a waste.

RobAGD
11-07-2001, 12:47 AM
Well I am pulling my older Blau head unit from my wagon and putting into my new beater, a Jeep Cherokee. I am looking to put a SMALL ammount of cash into speakers and maybe a sub.

I dont need a ton of power, I just want a tad bit more than the 20watts I am getting from the head unit.

as to the subs I just want to enhance the base a tad I dont need people to feel the subs 2 blocks away.

For the Subs I would like to stay away from boxes, and I have thought about using something like Bazooka Tubes ( old shcool stuff I am sure considering that last time I did heavy car stereo stuff Tube were da bomb )

But I am open for reasonable suggestion as to what I would need to get.

-Robert

Miscue
11-07-2001, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by RobAGD
Well I am pulling my older Blau head unit from my wagon and putting into my new beater, a Jeep Cherokee. I am looking to put a SMALL ammount of cash into speakers and maybe a sub.

I dont need a ton of power, I just want a tad bit more than the 20watts I am getting from the head unit.

as to the subs I just want to enhance the base a tad I dont need people to feel the subs 2 blocks away.

For the Subs I would like to stay away from boxes, and I have thought about using something like Bazooka Tubes ( old shcool stuff I am sure considering that last time I did heavy car stereo stuff Tube were da bomb )

But I am open for reasonable suggestion as to what I would need to get.

-Robert

Well, looks like you'll be needing an amp. If you're trying to stay pretty cheap... just get a decent 2 channel amp. You don't need a lot of wattage, around 50W/channel is overkill for casual listening really. If you have rears, power them off of the deck because rear fill is just that, and not too important. If you get fronts that have good midbass (which usually cost more)... you may find that the sound you get suits you just fine w/o a sub. Of course, you don't get that thump or the low lows... Powered bazooka tubes are pretty decent... not exactly a musical sub or anything, but for what you're getting for the price, not a bad deal. Another common thing to do is to get a 4 channel amp, bridge two channels and use that for an unpowered sub. You could use say an unpowered bazooka tube, or something like a Kicker BassStation. The 8" Kicker is compact, pretty cheap, and would probably satisfy your tastes.

Give http://www.ampmanaudio.com a shot, they carry some good stuff. http://www.teamamp.com has their forum with lots of great info. Kirk that runs the place is a great guy, has pretty good pricing, quality products, and really knows what he's doing.

As for fronts, I'd recommend the CDT CAX600s. CDT's are very efficient, so a mere 50W will drive them to about full output. These are pretty darn good sound-quality-wise... they don't get really low midbass like the higher models do (which cost about 3x more)... but it'll still get a good range of bass of front... and you can compliment it with a sub. Another good set on par with the CDT's would be the Helix Precision HXS-106's which only run about $75.

I'd also check out their entry level Helix Performance amps... Those are about the least expensive amps they carry... under $300... you could go somewhere locally and find something cheaper that would probably work well for you... but I think the amp is the one thing you shouldn't skimp on too much. Get a nice, quality, musical amp... it can mean the difference between a mediocre system and a pretty nice sounding system.