PDA

View Full Version : Curiosity about water... and mags

C_22
11-30-2004, 06:44 PM
OK, this is a stupid one. There’s this guy in some local field that insists that mags and cockers (mechs obviously) can be cleaned with water… as in physically putting the gun underwater as long as a tank is screwed in. I never really given much thought to it, as to me this theory has always been a PB myth and besides, I wouldn’t soak ANY gun underwater anyways. But just out of curiosity, what would internally happen to mags and cockers should you immerse them in water?

Saludos!

PS. Did the search, no luck.

personman
11-30-2004, 06:48 PM
I have no idea about a cocker, it might still work but there is no telling.
But I know for a fact (and from experiance :D) that you can fire a mag WHILE its underwater, It doesnt do any damage to it as long as it isnt like an emag.. try it yourself in the bath tub :p
Cockers, I might be worried about getting water in the ram or something, but I've never tried it.

Same thing with submersion for cleaning. Mags, it works great, just oil it back up after you do it, and cockers I dont know.

MonsterMag
11-30-2004, 06:55 PM
wont water get in the valve? :confused:

WenULiVeUdiE
11-30-2004, 06:56 PM
it says in the manual you can full submerge it in water as long as it is pressurised.

Glickman
11-30-2004, 06:59 PM
if water gets in the 3 way of the cocker, itll be a *****, a really big *****.

ive put only 1-2 drop of oil in the 3 way, and it took a few hundred balls shot off to get rid of

rkjunior303
11-30-2004, 07:02 PM
as long as the marker is pressurized, you can submerge a mag under water for cleaning -- just DON'T pull the trigger. While the marker will fire, water will get into the valve. and that's bad.

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
11-30-2004, 07:05 PM
as long as the marker is pressurized, you can submerge a mag under water for cleaning -- just DON'T pull the trigger. While the marker will fire, water will get into the valve. and that's bad.

Nope it fired and worked fine.

personman
11-30-2004, 07:12 PM
Water might get in the chamber and thats about it.. I dont think it would hurt the gun, just fire a few shots out of water and all the water is gone :)

Tunaman
11-30-2004, 07:19 PM
Don't submerge your marker in water! It will rust the front screw, as well as ruin your safety ball and spring. Your twist lock assy spring and screw will rust out too. Just because some of the parts are stainless that doesnt mean the carbon content is low enough that they wont rust. Trust me. They will. ;)

slade
11-30-2004, 07:19 PM
wont water get in the valve? :confused:
just think about it. the seals in your mag valve keep 800 psi in when its gassed, so how is water supposed to get in? mags, if pressurized can be completely submerged in water without harm, and ive heard from joey d and others that vikings can too. it may stop firing eventually, but if cleaned it will work properly when reassembled. And from what ive heard DM4s are waterproof.

slade
11-30-2004, 07:25 PM
Don't submerge your marker in water! It will rust the front screw
lol yeah mine has become a bit rusty, but it still works fine... or maybe its not rust but just the blood. :eek: (thats what happens when you play outside in freezing weather)

personman
11-30-2004, 07:49 PM
just think about it. the seals in your mag valve keep 800 psi in when its gassed, so how is water supposed to get in? mags, if pressurized can be completely submerged in water without harm, and ive heard from joey d and others that vikings can too. it may stop firing eventually, but if cleaned it will work properly when reassembled. And from what ive heard DM4s are waterproof.
lol, go ahead and try to submerge a viking underwater :p
ZAP!

trains are bad
11-30-2004, 07:55 PM
Back when it was still mech, I used to dunk my mag in the sink for cleaning. Or even better, plunge it under the water hydrant at the field. Get some weird looks and comments doing that. You get to tell people you don't have a sissy electro. I miss those days.

Xas
11-30-2004, 08:01 PM
I dumped a cocker i had in water once and it was messed up bad untill i took it apart and got all the water out of it. Dont recommend doing it to any marker unless it is a brass eagle talon.

FreakBaller12
11-30-2004, 08:10 PM
tippmanns can be thrown into water and then some. But then again they're built like a tank ;)

captian pinky
11-30-2004, 08:49 PM
i have seen this done with mud this guy threw his tippmann in to a moat of a small castle went around and shot all the people on the other side :shooting: it was funny cuz it was a rental well any way it cant be to good for the tank or can it just kidding

1977FordBronco
11-30-2004, 09:19 PM
I just disassemble my mag into the grip frame, body, valve, and rail. I then use a damp towl to get all the sploog/diirt off. Re-assemble and oil and I'm ready to go. Takes about ten min and I dont have to worry about rust because i dont let the water dry on any of the parts.

AGD
11-30-2004, 09:34 PM
Yes you can dunk the mag completely underwater.
Yes it will rust the frame screw and safety spring eventually.
Yes you can fire the gun under water and no water will get in the valve.
Yes many fields using rental mags use and oil water mix to dunk the guns in as a regular cleaning proceedure.

DM4, VIking, Cocker..........no

AGD

JoshK
11-30-2004, 09:39 PM
I never realized you were located in IL...neat...go AGD! even though i've never owned a AGD product in my life :(

Sorry for the off topic post...i was just gonna soak my e-cocker in my tub before i saw that post :p ;) ...j/k about owning a e-cocker :rolleyes:

Bad_Dog
11-30-2004, 09:41 PM
If any of you remember... I was the uber n00b who put his mag in the dishwasher to clean it... :D

and yes it did work afterwards :eek:

MonsterMag
11-30-2004, 09:42 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Tom

So remember kiddys , dont dunk you mags , they will rust ;)

trains are bad
11-30-2004, 09:59 PM
Since AGD in cool enough to use standard hardware, you can easily pick up stainless frame screws and such at any hardware store.

slade
11-30-2004, 10:00 PM
lol, go ahead and try to submerge a viking underwater :p
ZAP!
actually, what i heard was an AKA tech dunked a viking in a barrel of water, and shot it for a while before it stopped working. he took it apart, cleaned it, and it worked fine.

personman
11-30-2004, 10:10 PM
Thats odd, because I dont think the electronics are waterproof.. generally when you dip an electronic anything in water it shorts it out?
I can understand maybe the breech, since there are no electronics in there..
Then again I dont know the orentation of a viking or whatever because I've never owned one so it may be possible..

Edit: Just read Tom's post.. he knows everything that is to be known, so yeah. :p

ramenjames
11-30-2004, 10:17 PM
we just hose the rental tippys off.....keep them gassed up ....fire about 25 shots air dry then asa oil

no isues

Shorty
11-30-2004, 10:18 PM
Yes you can dunk the mag completely underwater.
Yes it will rust the frame screw and safety spring eventually.
Yes you can fire the gun under water and no water will get in the valve.
Yes many fields using rental mags use and oil water mix to dunk the guns in as a regular cleaning proceedure.

DM4, VIking, Cocker..........no

AGD

Why not the cocker? It's not so different from a blazer, and PPS says you can clean those by showering with it... Sure, some parts would rust if you left the water in the gun...

NukeGoose
11-30-2004, 10:26 PM
Dan fired a Viking underwater for 11 minutes at 10 BPS full auto before it stopped shooting.

It was then cleaned and worked fine thereafter.

Glickman
11-30-2004, 10:46 PM
Why not the cocker? It's not so different from a blazer, and PPS says you can clean those by showering with it... Sure, some parts would rust if you left the water in the gun...

as soon as water gets in the 3 ways, it wont function till dried out. as i said above, only a few drops of liquid will keep it from getting enough air to re-cock

Glickman
11-30-2004, 10:48 PM
Thats odd, because I dont think the electronics are waterproof.. generally when you dip an electronic anything in water it shorts it out?
I can understand maybe the breech, since there are no electronics in there..
Then again I dont know the orentation of a viking or whatever because I've never owned one so it may be possible..

Edit: Just read Tom's post.. he knows everything that is to be known, so yeah. :p

i always thought the same exact thing, untill a friend went into a hottub with his nextel on.

fully submerged for a minute or two. hand and air dried it, cleaned off oxidation, and worked fine..

dunno why :tard:

Thunder Bunny
11-30-2004, 10:53 PM
That's what I was thinking. My brother has a Stroker and he says he was told to clean it by showering with it.

Duzzy
11-30-2004, 11:10 PM
There is a huge difference between showering something off and submerging it. It is a lot harder to get water inside the breech, barrel, and what have you if all the water is running off of the outside of the marker. Underwater there is nothing keeping the water out of the guns internals.

Shorty
12-01-2004, 12:10 AM
There is a huge difference between showering something off and submerging it. It is a lot harder to get water inside the breech, barrel, and what have you if all the water is running off of the outside of the marker. Underwater there is nothing keeping the water out of the guns internals.

You can submerge them, and they're just fine. Many people dunk them in a tub of warm water to clean them, and they're not harmed. I'm pretty sure there's nothing to prevent the water from getting to the 4-way either. It's in the grip frame but I doubt the grips form an air-tight seal.

As for liquid in a cocker 4-way... I've seen plenty of cockers that were way over-lubed, and having their 4-ways flooded with oil never seemed to bother them. It gets vented out pretty quickly.

C_22
12-01-2004, 12:16 AM
Well, thanks all (BTW) ;)

magman007
12-01-2004, 11:52 AM
yes, the viking will fore underwater, it would have kept going as well, except the ram got full of water, and physically couldnt move any more. also, bob TAG has submerged angels before, and they kept going.

Muzikman
12-01-2004, 12:26 PM
A cocker works fine underwater. You do have to make sure you use an air compressor to dry it as springs will rust. This is how I have always cleaned my Typhocker.

Also, if you really want to clean out your cocker real good. fill your ASA/air line with water and shoot it all out. fill the ASA with oil and shoot that all out. It will not hurt the pneu's at all (as long as it's a mechanical cocker).