PDA

View Full Version : Speedball and Hopper research...

RamboPreacher
12-02-2004, 05:30 PM
Assuming you actually play speedball, whether for fun or in tournaments; one of the things that frustrates me as a back-player is the lack of a fast "larger" hopper. I have several vl3k's, but I can't really use them, because I can outshoot them with my pumper, let alone my Blazer, and I know I am not the fastest marker around, and really only consider myself average, or just below average for speed.

Consider this: what if there was a fast (say similar in speed to a haloB or eggoII) hopper available and it had a footprint big enough to hold 300 paintballs!

DiSoRdeR
12-02-2004, 05:31 PM
big enough to hold 300 paintballs!
Ive seen one that could hold 300 in a magazine, forgot the name of it and which issue it was in...

xballfan780
12-02-2004, 05:33 PM
your in luck a 300 round loader and up to 15bps

http://www.viewloader.com/product.asp?item_num=327&fam=Electronic+Loaders

RamboPreacher
12-02-2004, 05:33 PM
Ive seen one that could hold 300 in a magazine, forgot the name of it and which issue it was in...I have half a dozen or so VL3k's as they were called pre-BE. but they were slow. and there is currently no (that I know of) fast 300 bal hoppers, like the lines of the HaloB or EggII.

RamboPreacher
12-02-2004, 05:34 PM
your in luck a 300 round loader and up to 15bps

http://www.viewloader.com/product.asp?item_num=327&fam=Electronic+Loadersnot fast enough.

xballfan780
12-02-2004, 05:37 PM
not fast enough.
put it on a warp then ;)

68magOwner
12-02-2004, 06:12 PM
i wouldnt, but i play front, but i don think my backs would, to big, to heavy, will throw off balance, my advice is to just practice reloading fast, and/or reloading while shooting

hitech
12-02-2004, 06:43 PM
Put it on a warp then ;)
Yup, that would fix the speed problem. And the warp would help hide that huge blimp... :headbang:

krafty
12-02-2004, 07:01 PM
RP,

This would only solve half of your problem, wouldn't it? Sure, you could shoot 300 rounds without reloading, but then you'd go and dump 150 rounds into the hopper. And have to dump a second pod in to fill it up all the way. You'd really need a 300rd hopper and something like a 250rd tube (that way you could load while not completely empty.) These tubes would either have to be fatter than current designs (making you buy a new harness as well) or longer, which would probably get in the way.

xballfan780
12-02-2004, 07:06 PM
i wouldnt, but i play front, but i don think my backs would, to big, to heavy, will throw off balance, my advice is to just practice reloading fast, and/or reloading while shooting

Yes , reload when you can , Not when you have to :dance:

JoshK
12-02-2004, 07:24 PM
I would buy anything from the rambo!! I have no need for a hopper that goes like a evo...(even though i have one, but i am looking to down grade)

JKR
12-02-2004, 08:40 PM
First, no I would not buy a 300 rd hopper.

You consider yourself as average or just below average in speed but 15 bps isn't fast enough for you? :rolleyes: So the average player can sustain 15 bps? Yeah, uh huh...

If this is for that three barreled monster of yours, do you really think that three hoppers feeding up to 15 bps isn't enough paint downrange?

I have played for nearly 17 years, mostly pump, and I want to see someone outrun any motorized hopper with a pump--even one with an autotrigger.

GT
12-02-2004, 09:23 PM
dual q' loaders, when they finally come out with the 140rnd tubes.

NukeGoose
12-02-2004, 09:34 PM
I agree with Krafty about the pod/hopper size issue. There's no point in a 300 round hopper, besides the fact that you can hold and shoot 100 more balls at the begining of the game. You still need to reload as often, because the loading is from 140 round tubes. And using different size tubes would create problems unless you could alter a harness or the tubes (perhaps a frankentube that holds 250 rounds and takes up the size of two hormal pods, like welding two pods together at the lid?).

thelane
12-02-2004, 09:46 PM
i play front, back, mid, everywhere,yes mabye it would be cool 4 a 300 rd hopper but i get a long with a right feed PURPLE 12 volt revvy.now mabye this is just the poor paintball player that cant afford much paint but theres really no need for a 300 ball hopper and i would like 2 see u out shoot a motorized loader sorry if i was rude jus a little stressed rite now.

:shooting: :dance:
-lane the flying skwril

TheDuelist
12-02-2004, 11:05 PM
I have a VL3000 that I have been modifying for an Empire reloader kit. I intend to give it a shot when/ if I ever get it finished.

WARPED1
12-02-2004, 11:41 PM
I had a VL300, traded it to one of my buddies a looooooooooong time ago. I'd love one again

LeatherPants
12-03-2004, 12:05 AM
The is no reason for one. Like in above posts, you refill with 140 ball pods so what's the point. The only advantage is off the break or if your in a really serious game of hopper ball.

Not only that the size it would need to be to hold 300 would not justify the off the break advantage.

Korrosion
12-03-2004, 02:58 AM
I'd really like to see the gen 2 warp that tom has hinted about... Integrated with the drop so its balanced, mmmmm yum :clap: :cheers:

CaliMagFan
12-03-2004, 05:49 AM
i could swear that there once was a 240 round halo body.... if not that big, it was something similar... i believe there was one posted on here about a year or so ago that actually belonged to Tom. I could be wrong on this, but i remember it having a T-rex-like head on the hopper.. kinda like some kind of vinyl sticker.... any1 else remember that? i'll try and dig up the link... just gimme a bit.

-kyro

magman007
12-03-2004, 07:55 AM

You consider yourself as average or just below average in speed but 15 bps isn't fast enough for you? :rolleyes: So the average player can sustain 15 bps? Yeah, uh huh...

If this is for that three barreled monster of yours, do you really think that three hoppers feeding up to 15 bps isn't enough paint downrange?

I have played for nearly 17 years, mostly pump, and I want to see someone outrun any motorized hopper with a pump--even one with an autotrigger.

wow, dont you seem like an ***. if you realized the fact that most hoppers in this size (vl3000 and the tripod loader) dont feed a constant 15 bps. there for a short burst at say... 13 since they are gravity driven, and only agitated then yea, 15 bps is slow in this case, because it isnt a sustained 15. the feed rate drops phenominally to about.... 8 once those few first balls feed.

RamboPreacher
12-03-2004, 10:16 AM
pertaining to "having to load to loaders when it is empty..

_I_ wouldn't wait till the hoper was empty before reloading. it just gives me more option-time when to load. as it empties, I don't _have_ to wait till it is empty to dump a loader in it, or if it is half empty dump a partial pod in and toss the reset or dink with trying to save it.

the front profile of a 300 round hoper is the same as a 200 round hopper anyway, so why would it be a bigger target in speedball? maybe on teh slight occasion that an opossing player would get up on teh r/l tapes, but that wouldn't be as nearly as frequently as if you were using this in teh rec-field/woods (which I would still use it because the play style is different, adn for different reasons).

the problem with the "big" hoppers available now is that they are too slow. again, they have the SAME profile from the front as a 175/200 round hopper.

Whenever I bring this topic up on other forums, the side profile keeps comming up as if it is a bigger target, when that is really a minimal issue on the speedball field (especially back players)

just my opinion.

RamboPreacher
12-03-2004, 10:26 AM
...If this is for that three barreled monster of yours, do you really think that three hoppers feeding up to 15 bps isn't enough paint downrange?...enough paint isn't the issue with the grinder:
http://www.pentestone.com/paintball/CustomMeansCustom.htm
http://www.pentestone.com/paintball/grinder/004.jpg
the issue is that for one revolution of the crank, each barrel shoots 3 times
(this is obviously not for "normal" rec. ball), so I have to crank slowly so that
it doesn't chop, even for that first second. but you wouldn't understand since
you have never and will probebly never get to shoot it. :)

But this did come from a discussion about that. The hopper issue for the grinder
has been taken care of (or is in process), and is a wholly seperate topic, but since
you asked, here is the Grinder solution in process (sorry for the large images)
http://img117.exs.cx/img117/9897/trident1.jpg
http://img112.exs.cx/img112/6941/trident2.jpg
http://img117.exs.cx/img117/7817/trident3.jpg
if anyone wnats to talk about the grinder or this, please email or PM me,
or start a new thread.

this thread was about the possibility of a _fast_, 300 ball hoper and if you would use it or not...

WARPED1
12-03-2004, 11:35 AM
The is no reason for one. Like in above posts, you refill with 140 ball pods so what's the point. The only advantage is off the break or if your in a really serious game of hopper ball.

Not only that the size it would need to be to hold 300 would not justify the off the break advantage.
You're totally missing the main advantage of a 300 rounder, YOU DON'T NEED TO RELOAD AS OFTEN! Sheese!

TheTramp
12-03-2004, 11:41 AM
I don't know about a 300 round loader but I'd love a 200+ version of the Halo.

Not having to reload as soon as I get to my back bunker after shooting a lave would be a BIG plus. That's when a lot of front guys make their first move (1st after the break of course) because they know the back guys are either re-loading or almost out of paint.

Spaceman613
12-03-2004, 11:52 AM
I have a vl3k.. great hopper, and a teammate had his 3000's modded for rev parts so they feed quite well (uses his on an eblade, good for 10+consistantly).

I would love to have a 120 round loader.. I dont need super fast, but something better than a rev. Might just have to break down for a "trilogy" or whatever the new viewloaders are and put reloader guts into it to help keep it rolling.

PBX Ronin 23
12-03-2004, 12:03 PM
I believe that VL is addressing this issue with their new Loader system that incorporates 3 different detachable hopper body sizes.

Obviously the main resistance to this idea is that you are increasing the "Targetable Silhouette" that a set-up using a hopper this large will be subject to.

hitech
12-03-2004, 01:57 PM
Obviously the main resistance to this idea is that you are increasing the "Targetable Silhouette" that a set-up using a hopper this large will be subject to.

...Warp... :hail:

LeatherPants
12-03-2004, 08:26 PM
You're totally missing the main advantage of a 300 rounder, YOU DON'T NEED TO RELOAD AS OFTEN! Sheese!

No you have to reload just at often EXCEPT on the break. Unless you're using 300rd pods you are reloading the same.

Explain to me how you don't reload as often once the initial 300rds are gone.

WARPED1
12-03-2004, 09:07 PM
No you have to reload just at often EXCEPT on the break. Unless you're using 300rd pods you are reloading the same.

Explain to me how you don't reload as often once the initial 300rds are gone.
Think boy. You have 300 rounds instead of 140 that most loaders hold, therefore you're not needing a refill as often! Logic, man, logic :rolleyes: ..............

LeatherPants
12-03-2004, 09:37 PM
Think boy. You have 300 rounds instead of 140 that most loaders hold, therefore you're not needing a refill as often! Logic, man, logic :rolleyes: ..............

WTF are you talking about? You have 300 rds at the start of the game YES I UNDERSTAND THAT. After that you are filling from 140rd pods. You are still filling just as often. Even if you fill two pods at once you are still taking the same amount of time to fill two pods. Logic man. The pods you use are still the same.

Everytime you fill it is STILL 140 no matter how big your hopper is.

Maybe playing rec ball when you have the time to sit there and refill 2 pods in to the hopper it is an advantage but I don't see wasting time trying to load 2 pods when I'm trying to watch the snake.

Also don't call me boy. You don't know me. Most boys don't press over double their body weight.

WARPED1
12-04-2004, 12:54 AM
Don't use it for speedball then if it seems like to much trouble!

LeatherPants
12-04-2004, 01:37 AM
The title of the thread is "Speedball and hopper research." That was the point of the thread.

Muzikman
12-04-2004, 01:54 AM

I can outshoot my old trracer with my old VL2000 loaders. Have done it many times and I am not even fast.

Muzikman
12-04-2004, 02:02 AM
As for reloading.

With a Halo, it has to be empty before you can reload and not waste half your paint. A 300 round loader would let you reload and then reload again when it's convinient, not just when you are out.

Lohman446
12-04-2004, 08:33 AM
Interesting thoughts, I don't shoot fast and normally play front, but I have been put in back before or playing mid. Even playing front there is one field I play on where I walk to my first bunker and knock down the lane that lanes it on the way to get there (running you run through a lane your backplayers can't knock down early). When I do this I move to the bunker, firing first for there front player moving up (double lane with my backplayer) and then I switch to knocking down the lane that concerns me. If I jog as soon as that lane is down and drop into the bunker I can be there before the corners have a good chance to take me. I find even then as soon as I drop I have to reload and it gives there front player (if I missed him) a good chance to bump to the tapeline and keep me from it - which really makes my first bunker suck. If I had another 100 rounds to use it would be handy and let me cover my own move to the tape earlier.

What would be really nice, is if it incorporated a pod (not vertically like the speed collar trick of starting with a pod on the collar) so I could ditch it after the break and have a normal size hopper (because as my position indicates side profile is a consideration).

And I agree, due to a stupid Vision logic system (and other manufactuers) a force-feed hopper is almost required. What I mean by that is some eyes do not check for a ball in place they check for the ball dropping and then ok the fire anytime after that. Therefore if you are running with a non-force feed hopper and the ball bounces as you run, you can cut it when you fire if it is up a bit.

RamboPreacher
12-04-2004, 01:46 PM
As for reloading.

With a Halo, it has to be empty before you can reload and not waste half your paint. A 300 round loader would let you reload and then reload again when it's convinient, not just when you are out.exactly. :)

I can see that a large loader might have a place in large game/rec/scenario as well.