PDA

View Full Version : Do some people in deathmatch lag so badly you cannot hit them?

PyRo
12-03-2004, 04:52 PM
I've been having that problem with a few people, usually the best person in the server either sits up top with a rocket launcher or lags so badly that you cannot hit them. I mean I know for a fact that I shot them three times with the magnum right in the chest but they are skipping around so much it doesn't register.
My point being, people with slow connections should be banned from online play.

Will Wood
12-03-2004, 05:21 PM
Yea, tell me about it. The magnum thing. You're talkinb about HL2:DM, right?
I'll empty a round on someone and all of them SHOULD have hit, but didn't. And then I end up dying as I reload.

And yea, that map is totaly unbalanced with the rocket there.

fire1811
12-03-2004, 05:41 PM
no matter your connection everyone lags. you must lead the person in whatever direction he is moving. the length of the lead depends on the server, the players connection and you.

you will get the hang of it just experiment.

B.A.M.
12-03-2004, 06:18 PM
its just showing were the person was but in reality he is moving somewhere else so essentaly ur hiting there past self

Will Wood
12-03-2004, 06:25 PM
Yea, but it's kinda normal to shoot at the body of someone instead of in blank space.
I mean, if someone is running, sure, shoot ahead of them.
But this is taking into account something totaly unpredictable.

fire1811
12-03-2004, 06:42 PM
EVERY first person shooter or online game for that fact will have lag and you will have to lead them. it could be so small that you dont notice or it could be so big its damn near impossible to hit anything.

Head knight of Ni
12-03-2004, 06:54 PM
Thankfully, after long enough, games like Halo 2 will almost be lag free. The online system registers who's a good host for which connections. :headbang: of course after the last update they accidentally wiped out their host lists, but its running smooth now.

gimp
12-04-2004, 12:29 AM
The lag that I've experienced in HL2 has been really bad. I havn't played that much, but when I did it was nasty. I'd see someone, shoot, then they would be gone. Completely out of the room. I need to play it more to find out if it's me, or them, or a combination of the both of us. Hopefully the new day of defeat won't lag so bad.

Thordic
12-04-2004, 01:49 PM
ITs not lag, its horrible netcode.

Hopefully Valve fixes the netcode so CS:S and HL2DM are actually fun.

OysterBoy
12-04-2004, 01:55 PM
ITs not lag, its horrible netcode.

Hopefully Valve fixes the netcode so CS:S and HL2DM are actually fun.

Netcode? Sounds sexy.

frop
12-05-2004, 05:12 AM
I played Warbirds III back home, at time w/ over 200 players, & minimal lag. Now, granted, the graphics are much simpler, but hundreds of players, pretty much lag free is no small feat...

Python14
12-05-2004, 05:17 AM
I haven't had too many problems with lag....however, there is the occasional "now you see me, now you don't" type player that I swore I hit with a bench but somehow he has destructed me with a crossbow or something from BEHIND.

Go figure.