PDA

View Full Version : Leaking down the barrel / rail questions...

T F
11-06-2001, 04:37 PM
Okay here we go. I have a PF mag that leaks down the barrel. I tried everything I could thingk of to stop it from leaking (all the obvious seal and spring stuff... In fact I had AGD replace all of them in Florida) However it still leaked when I got home (I only brought the vlave to FL thinking that it was a vlalve problem) So I tossed my Retro valve and it leaked down the barrel.

As I was taking out my rail once (and after I read a few posts here) I realized two things. 1) It has no rail bushing and 2)there is a bit of slop in the rail shere the sear goes in - meaning that the sear seems to move from side to side a bit more than I would like.

Here are my theories and I want your feed back.

1) The lack of a bushing is causing a leak (although I can theorize why this would cause a leak down the barrel)

2) This slop in the rail is causing the sear to kick to one side and allowing the on/off pin to slide past the sear to either to the left or to the right.

What do you think????

TF

jimmyjobob
11-06-2001, 09:43 PM
possibility on the second one.

but i can definitely say i have had problems as a result of missing the rail bushing,. get one.

BlackVCG
11-06-2001, 09:59 PM
The sear is contained enough that the on/off pin will NOT slip off the sear. There should be a bit of side to side shift. Your problem is most likely the missing rail bushing. You can get one the same size at almost any hardware store. You might have to cut it to length, but that's not a problem.

T F
11-07-2001, 08:24 AM
So the one million dollar question is... What is the length and (if you can) width of the bushing. Can someone measure thiers as I can not find it in the specs.

By the way... Thanks to those who responded and if anyone else has anymore nuggets of wisdom I am all ears...

TF

ProjectMag
11-07-2001, 09:22 AM
You could always buy a rail bushing on line, however, finding one at a hardware store might be cheaper and quicker. Then again you have to get the exact specifications on it. Anyways, dropzonepaintball sells AGD parts.

www.dropzonepaintball.com

Drizit
11-07-2001, 09:35 AM
the bushing should be the same length as the thickness of the rail. and the diameter is the same as the hole for the field strip screw. as to thickness I don't know just bring your gun to the store with you (in a bag or something would be a good idea, you don't want to scare people) with it in the rail the field strip screw should fit snugly but not so much so that it end's up threading the inside of the bushing. hope that helps you man. good luck.

BlackVCG
11-07-2001, 11:11 AM
No, no, no... the bushing isn't used to hold the field strip screw tight. It's there to hold the rail and trigger frame together and center them. It basically looks like a large diameter roll pin that is the same length as the thickness of the rail AND the frame put together. Don't try to find a bushing that the field strip screw fits tight into. Just one that fits tight in the rail and trigger frame rear field strip screw hole. If you don't want to bother guessing, just call and order a few from AGD.

T F
11-07-2001, 07:28 PM
Simply tell me how long to cut it and I will let you know the specs of the bushing that fits into the rail...

Hook a brotha up....

TF

Drizit
11-08-2001, 12:33 AM
sorry my bad. it's been some time since I took careful note of that part of an mag classic (I don't have a rail, or a bushing for that matter on my micro. but hey now you have the straight goods form BlackVCG. again sorry. (ok no more trusting in my memory for me.) ;)

T F
11-08-2001, 07:44 AM
Somebody PLEASE measure that bushing for me....

Thanks,

TF

Drizit
11-08-2001, 09:28 AM
I'd say just call AGD and order one, they can't be that much if a long nose foamy bolt is only $35 (just ordered one yesterday) I'll even do some of the leg work for you ;)
the number is 1-847-520-7507 then you will need to press 1* a delightful woman will answer the phone and you tell her what you want, and give her a credit card #. it's that easy. (oh yeah, have your valve serial number handy, they may ask.)

T F
11-08-2001, 10:34 PM
I just got my hands on a bushing and ALAS... No leak.

I will measure and get another buching for my mag tommorow and let you all know how to get it done at your local hardware store...

Unbelievable.

Also, thanks to all who posted and to Black VCG; Thanks a million, you were right on the money and you knew what the hell you were talking about. It is about time a board had smart people on it that knew stuff and got it right the first time...

TF

Thordic
11-09-2001, 08:34 AM
Yeah, its those damned bushings, they'll get you every time... :mad: