PDA

View Full Version : rc car

rehme
12-06-2004, 07:49 PM
hey i am thinking about getting a rc car. people around here are getting them. and i am looking for a general lee body. i would like to get a electric car just because of the simplicity. are there any good rc car forums you know of.

Snertz
12-06-2004, 07:52 PM
Might wanna check out http://www.rccaraction.com/, http://www.radiocontrolzone.com/cars/index.asp, and http://www.gettingstartedinrc.com/

Lots of info there!

wad04
12-06-2004, 10:42 PM
get ready to buy a crap load of spare parts, they break down fast

Muzikman
12-06-2004, 10:47 PM
Just make sure you buy a high quality car. Buy from a hobby shop and not like Radio Shack ir Toys R Us.

I personally think you are making the right chose going with electric. They might not be a fast as gas/nitro, but they are simple and easy to keep running.

Snertz
12-06-2004, 11:14 PM
get ready to buy a crap load of spare parts, they break down fast

Hardly. If you're not driving it into every solid stationary object in sight, hobby grade RC cars last quite a long time. With electric, it's pretty much trouble free for the most part.

felony
12-06-2004, 11:48 PM
i had just as good success with my nitro powered cars as my electric.. and the smell of them is great!

i recently gassed my old Ofna back up from a 1.5 year hiatus and it ran fine. granted it wasnt tuned or anything and prolly shoulda fixed the engine up some, but hey, it ran.

spare parts get necessary if you are a stupid driver. sooo dont be stupid

dan

Destructo6
12-07-2004, 03:27 AM
If you're not going to race, it would seem either is fine.

If you want your electric to run in tip-top condition all of the time, there's a ton of ancillary stuff you'll need (comm lathe, motor spray, nice charger and batteries, ...). You can go without quite a bit, but you'll probably find youself wanting/needing some of it.

Nitro trucks require quite a bit of support gear (fuel bottle, starter if not pull-start, nitro blast, ...), but you don't seem to need a ton more down the road.

I went through this for the second time just a year or so ago. I had an Associated Electronics RC10B3 and a Losi XXXNT RTR. I had a lot more problems with the RC10 than with the XXXNT, once I ditched the NT's crappy stock tires. Both were stinking fast, but the NT would take a lot more abuse.

Nitro sound makes up for the nitro mess.

You might also look into the newer Losi Mini. They're small (8" long) electrics with full features, fully assembled, and ready to run. They're also about $130 and have quite a few hop up parts available.

http://www.teamlosi.com/kits/mini-T.htm

young-rt
12-07-2004, 08:31 AM
I have a nitro stadium trruck and this thing will fly 40+. My brother has an electric one but his is not as fast. Mine breaks down all the time, like every 3rd time i use it. My bros never breaks down. Speed=nitro reliability=electric :cheers:

skife
12-07-2004, 09:59 AM
eletric is the way to get your foot in the door.

I've still got an old Assoiated RC10 Gold tub/white plastic from 1983.

almost mint condition, it runs great too except its way over geared and is way slow.

rehme
12-07-2004, 04:32 PM
yeah i am thinking about getting one of these

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVK74**

Destructo6
12-07-2004, 04:57 PM
One of those would sort of limit your upgrades, unless that's what you intended to keep from spending money.

Going with Losi or Associated opens up a huge potential for upgrades.

I've still got an old Assoiated RC10 Gold tub/white plastic from 1983.

A blast from the past. Those were the cool thing when I first got interested in RC cars, in '82 or '83. That's why I went with the B3 when I returned, though the two are now related in name only. That RC10B3, with 3000mah NiMH cells, would wheelie out of corners and run for about 17 minutes without power loss.

felony
12-07-2004, 05:41 PM
I agree with what Destructo has said, but would prolly stick with the traxxas unless you are planning on getting competitive past your neighborhood.. imo.

RTR isnt necessary though, while most traxxas are RTR half the fun is building sometimes.

i left my cars back home while I am at college and im missing them now. it think my dad said he wanted to trash them too. NOO!

dan

young-rt
12-07-2004, 09:51 PM
I have owned three traxxas made cars trucks buggy. traxxas traxxas traxxas :cheers:

jwren00
12-07-2004, 10:58 PM
here's mine :) If you ever plan on racing, get nitro, not electric. Nobody really races electric anymore

rehme
12-07-2004, 11:00 PM
we have a indoor rc track 45 minutes away and it is the largest coast to coast. and they all ran electric and they were pretty fast.

wad04
12-07-2004, 11:01 PM
it doesn't matter if you crash or not, they break down quickly

skife
12-07-2004, 11:03 PM
here's mine :) If you ever plan on racing, get nitro, not electric. Nobody really races electric anymore

the irony of that picture

the buggy cost more than that stove

Plenty of people race electric, espically around here.

jwren00
12-08-2004, 08:27 AM
the irony of that picture

the buggy cost more than that stove

Plenty of people race electric, espically around here.

haha true, especially because I didn't pay for the stove. But anyways, I would encourage you to find out what most people in your area race/bash around with. If it's mostly electric, get electric. Nitro isn't as complicated as most people think, and it's actually less expensive to be competitive because you don't have to spend thousands always upgrading to really good batteries and chargers. The electric class where I live is weak, maybe it isn't elsewhere.

skife
12-08-2004, 11:56 AM
damn you, now i want another R/C.... GAH!

it'll definatally be nitro if i get another R/c....

probably a T-maxx, $300 isn't much to me anymore.