PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer and Amps recommendations?

DJBacon06
12-06-2004, 09:20 PM
Hi all, I'm starting to make a Christmas list, and I'm in the process of adding a new stereo to my car. I'm having an incredibly hard time deciding on Sub woofers and amps. I'd like to spend no more than $500 for a pair of 12's (or quality 10's) box, good amp for them, and a 4 channel amp for the other speakers. So can anybody recommend anything for this?

Thanks for any help guys! :D

Miscue
12-06-2004, 09:42 PM
Hi all, I'm starting to make a Christmas list, and I'm in the process of adding a new stereo to my car. I'm having an incredibly hard time deciding on Sub woofers and amps. I'd like to spend no more than $500 for a pair of 12's (or quality 10's) box, good amp for them, and a 4 channel amp for the other speakers. So can anybody recommend anything for this?

Thanks for any help guys! :D

Urm. $500 won't get you too far. You might want to get a powered bazooka tube and an amp for your fronts. That should put you around $500. You're wasting your time on dual subs if that's your spending cap. It's better to get a higher quality single sub.

teufelhunden
12-06-2004, 09:49 PM
Look around on ebay. Good deals to be had. I picked up 2x 10" Type Rs, a 1000w Kenwood digital amp, and a Boss 1 farad cap for like 450. Bought the box locally and had to get an LOC for my car [stupid, stupid mazda, lol]

GreasyPigeon
12-06-2004, 11:20 PM
like miscue said you wont get much, i wouldn't even spend the money on a bazooka tube, i would say go with an mTx roadthunder amp, and have that run on some 6.5 and 6*9. It won't bump,and with what money is left over i say get some good speakers so it will sound really clean, like planet audio, sound stream, Power Acoustik , phonix Gold, Nitch.

Miscue
12-06-2004, 11:31 PM
like miscue said you wont get much, i wouldn't even spend the money on a bazooka tube, i would say go with an mTx roadthunder amp, and have that run on some 6.5 and 6*9. It won't bump,and with what money is left over i say get some good speakers so it will sound really clean, like planet audio, sound stream, Power Acoustik , phonix Gold, Nitch.

I like this idea even better! Although I love them, subs are the last things on my list. The "music" is up front, you know. :)

felony
12-06-2004, 11:38 PM
if you can afford it, kick amp and subs. dont cut yourself short though, cheap amp or cheap subs will only kill the sound IMO

200 for subs and 300 for amp isnt that outta range. thought when you include all the other stuff, wiring and what not not it gets more pricey

GreasyPigeon
12-07-2004, 08:46 AM
if you can afford it, kick amp and subs. dont cut yourself short though, cheap amp or cheap subs will only kill the sound IMO

200 for subs and 300 for amp isnt that outta range. thought when you include all the other stuff, wiring and what not not it gets more pricey

if your going to have a system do it right the first time. cause you'lll end up wasting alot of money on something that doesn't sound good and hits hard. I see it all the time when people come in to the shop i work at with a toasted amp, or blown subs, from the best buy monthly special, cause of piss poor wiring, too musch power to the subs or the box is <B>*POOF*</B>

<B>*Warning: No Cussing*</B> -Miscue

DJBacon06
12-07-2004, 03:31 PM
ok, I have taken a few of these things into consideration. I realize that $500 is a bit too cheap for that much stuff. So what if i were to say $500 on subs and an amp to power them. One 12 is acceptable as well.

Would I be able to get 1 12 and an amp and a 4 channel amp for a little bit over $500? or should i jsut stick with getting subs and one amp for the time being?

Miscue
12-08-2004, 12:35 AM
ok, I have taken a few of these things into consideration. I realize that $500 is a bit too cheap for that much stuff. So what if i were to say $500 on subs and an amp to power them. One 12 is acceptable as well.

Would I be able to get 1 12 and an amp and a 4 channel amp for a little bit over $500? or should i jsut stick with getting subs and one amp for the time being?

Yeah, by getting stuff that sucks. :p

You forget enclosure, wiring, etc. on top of that.

Get a two-channel amp, run your rears off the deck, and throw in some decent fronts.

DJBacon06
12-08-2004, 02:56 PM
Yeah, by getting stuff that sucks. :p

You forget enclosure, wiring, etc. on top of that.

Get a two-channel amp, run your rears off the deck, and throw in some decent fronts.

you're telling me there is no decent Sub and amp out there that will cost me at or less than $500? I find that incredibly hard to believe... :wow:

Like I said. It doesn't need to be show stoppingly good. Just something that can be heard. I will in the futrue get a 4 channel amp for my speakers, but i guess not now. A box and wiring isn't a huge concern to me in this price. Although something with a box would be nice as well. So come on. $500, what amp and sub(s) would YOU buy?

felony
12-08-2004, 03:09 PM
is this for a car, truck or what?

http://www.cardomain.com/item/KIC04KX60012

renewed kicker 600.1 @ 2 ohms $250

http://www.cardomain.com/item/KIC03CVR102

2 10" kicker comp vr's dvc 2 ohm $120 x 2 = 240

there you go, 10 dollars cheaper then what you want to spend.

btw, this is what i run in my tacoma xtra cab.. got the same setup.. but older comp vr's. granted it is a smaller space (louder) and some pimping boxes .. but it will sound fine for just about anything

DJBacon06
12-08-2004, 03:18 PM

btw, this is what i run in my tacoma xtra cab.. got the same setup.. but older comp vr's. granted it is a smaller space (louder) and some pimping boxes .. but it will sound fine for just about anything

Sorry, i forgot to mention that. This is for a 1995 Acura Legend. It is a 4-door sedan.

DJBacon06
12-08-2004, 03:19 PM

Sorry if this is a kind of dumb question... But since it is a mono amp, are you able to run both subs off the same amp? I thought mono meant one channel which means jsut one sub? :confused: :confused:

felony
12-08-2004, 03:27 PM
mono means one channel.

subs run on one channel, whether you have one, two or three. Generally mono amps are made for subs, as they offer a lower ohm rating (in my searching and buying experience)

with what i gave you, the two subs would both be wired to have a impedance (ohm) of one. Then put into series or paralell (not sure which) to end up with a total impedance of 2 ohms.

mono amps have one terminal for speakers. ie 1 + and 1 -. If you have two subs you will have 2 + and 2 -. you must connect them in series or paralell, and then you end up with 1 + and 1 - again.. plug it in and go.

felony
12-08-2004, 03:34 PM
i am sure one of the experts here will call me out on what i posted above. that is what i learned from research and experience. i have hooked up quite a few systems this way and was the way i learned.

cletus
12-08-2004, 04:01 PM
I would recommend getting some edesign (http://www.edesignaudio.com) subs. They have a ton of package deals to save you money and their stuff is amazing. I have 2 of their now discontinued 8a's and people think i have 2 12's or 2 15's in my car.

There is a package deal (http://www.edesignaudio.com/13ov2_special.htm) on their site for a 13Ov.2 sub (12 inch sub) and a Nine.1 amp which will feed the sub 900 watts once its hooked up. That should be more than enough for what your looking for and it in you price range at $465. They can also build you a custom box to fit your car for a resonable price.

Also, you can run as many subs or speakers for that matter on one channel, its just a matter of getting them wired to the correct ohm load.

If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

GreasyPigeon
12-08-2004, 04:11 PM
A box and wiring isn't a huge concern to me in this price.

A Box is mostly important to a good sound system. Thats where alot of your good sound quality comes from. theres two types of boxs, sound quality, and SPL. And wiring is very important, cause thats where you speakers get there power from. Poor wires = poor power . poor power= piss poor sound.

to have some what of a nice sytem you will need a nice bit of cash, Not only for speakers and a amp, but also for a nice box, and good wiring. And if you do get a system don't crank up the amp power and the volume up all the way soon as you get them cause you just blow your subs faster. you have to break the subs in some what.

DJBacon06
12-08-2004, 04:53 PM
A Box is mostly important to a good sound system. Thats where alot of your good sound quality comes from. theres two types of boxs, sound quality, and SPL. And wiring is very important, cause thats where you speakers get there power from. Poor wires = poor power . poor power= piss poor sound.

to have some what of a nice sytem you will need a nice bit of cash, Not only for speakers and a amp, but also for a nice box, and good wiring. And if you do get a system don't crank up the amp power and the volume up all the way soon as you get them cause you just blow your subs faster. you have to break the subs in some what.

Right. I know about the breaking in and such. And when i said its not important to me in this price, i meant that i will have it taken care of. I know about the boxes and wiring. I think i will be going with a sealed box. But anyway...After talking with felony... I'm thinking about getting the following... what does everybody think?

2 of these http://www.hookedontronics.com/sale...CVR10+2-Ohm.htm

and one of these
http://www.caraudioimage.com/index....&product_id=505

DJBacon06
12-08-2004, 09:34 PM
Scratch what i just said. I just bought 2 12" Alpine type R's. Now I need an amp to power these suckers. Can anybody suggest any decent (and pretty cheap) 500-600 watt amps?

Also, how are the Q-logic boxes?

teufelhunden
12-08-2004, 09:45 PM
For Type-Rs I had a Kenwood KAC8101D recommended to me by an installer as a good amp for not a lot of bucks.. look into it. Cheap on eBay..

GreasyPigeon
12-08-2004, 10:06 PM
Scratch what i just said. I just bought 2 12" Alpine type R's. Now I need an amp to power these suckers. Can anybody suggest any decent (and pretty cheap) 500-600 watt amps?

Also, how are the Q-logic boxes?

for box i say go custom. I am not sure if most shop sell blue prints of the box but i know the shop i help at does. But some places can sell you blue prints of the boxs so you can get the perfect box, it matches the sub perfectly and allows you to get the best possable sound. They sell them for about 20-30 bucks, and all you have to do is head over to the hard wear store and pick up some MDF for about 30 bucks nad make your own. its cheaper and better. Or some shops can make you a custom box and it will be about the same money as a premade box, but better.

Whats the peak power of the alpines and the omhs they run at.. i am too lazy too look it up. i am sure that a 500-600 watt amp is going to be too much for them.

DJBacon06
12-08-2004, 10:16 PM
the ones i bought run at 2 ohms. the peak is 1000 Watts and the RMS is 300 watts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5736267377 thats what i got. I sure hope i got a good deal.

I think I am going to attempt to build the box myself.... eek! :cool:

DJBacon06
12-09-2004, 05:48 PM
Ok, I have another question concerning an amp for my new subs. What would happen if I used an amp that lets say... threw out 800 watts RMS? Would this be too much for the 300 watt RMS, but 1000 watta peak subs? Or does it not mater because the subs will handle 1000 watts?? :confused:

Miscue
12-10-2004, 02:19 AM
Ok, I have another question concerning an amp for my new subs. What would happen if I used an amp that lets say... threw out 800 watts RMS? Would this be too much for the 300 watt RMS, but 1000 watta peak subs? Or does it not mater because the subs will handle 1000 watts?? :confused:

Underpowering can break your subs. But you can overpower all day long when you keep your volume reasonable.

FragTek
12-10-2004, 10:08 AM
If you're looking for some of the best 12's for the money, look no further than Alpine. You can get a brand new set of 12" Type-X subs on ebay for around $460, that's a total steal. 1000w RMS / sub.

I've always been a fosgate amp freak, so I'd recommend a T2001bd (2000w RMS @ 1ohm) amp to power both (can be found on ebay for around $700).