PDA

View Full Version : Step by Step: Turning cheap Vodka into expensive Vodka!

Koosh
12-07-2004, 02:16 AM
http://www.ohmygoditburns.com/wordpress/index.php?m=20041105

Great article, all my friends are obsessed with Grey Goose vodka, maybe I'll have to buy a handle of McCormicks and see how they compare :)

ScatterPlot
12-07-2004, 02:32 AM
http://www.ohmygoditburns.com/imgup/brita/IMG_0041.JPG
Can anyone say "Photo caption contest"? :D

TheTramp
12-07-2004, 11:49 AM
Great article, all my friends are obsessed with Grey Goose vodka, maybe I'll have to buy a handle of McCormicks and see how they compare :)

That's great! Thanks for the link man. I'll be trying this soon. :cheers:

SlartyBartFast
12-07-2004, 11:52 AM
Heck, a little pure water, a little pure alcohol (the Quebec SAQ sold Alcool 90 which is just 90% alcohol), and a little flavoring and you can make any type of drink you want for a fraction of the price of a real bottle.

A bootlegger up here was doing exactly that with the right bottles and counterfeit labels. Seemingly a large percentage of "premium" brands sold in bars for a year or so were counterfeit.

Heh, heh. It's Alcool 94% (http://www.saq.com/pls/devsaq/generator.pp_afficher_page?p_iden_tran=15420764&p_modi_url=1207115825&p_nom_page=fiche_descriptive.saq&p_tab_para=vide!vide&p_tab_para=p_no_prod!00090100) . :D

English page here (http://www.saq.com/pls/devsaq/generator.pp_afficher_page?p_iden_tran=15420764&p_modi_url=1207120017&p_nom_page=fiche_descriptive.saq&p_tab_para=vide!vide&p_tab_para=p_no_prod!00090100)

The REALLY sad thing is that's how the vast majority of alcoholic drinks are made. Pure alcohol blended with flavours and water. Then people get all snotty about what they drink. :rolleyes:

gimp
12-07-2004, 11:55 AM
hmmm. That seems cool. I'm gonna have to try it. I like their idea of using some pvc pipe and hooking a bunch of filters up at once, then you could do it quicker.

Will Wood
12-07-2004, 11:57 AM
Saw this about a month ago on a different forum..

I've yet to try it because I don't have the filter.. nor the care to buy one.

I'll take it how it comes. I can handle the nasty stuff.

:spit_take :spit_take

Kevmaster
12-07-2004, 12:16 PM
I'll take it how it comes. I can handle the nasty stuff.

youre a man...you should be able to

nothin like a little straight shootin 151

frop
12-07-2004, 12:30 PM
I need to try that...make drinking affordable! :clap: :dance: :cheers:

Kevmaster
12-07-2004, 12:34 PM
ovbiously...you havn't grown to like aristocrat

ShooterJM
12-07-2004, 12:37 PM
Wow. I'll be trying this with whiskey, tequila and vodka....

PyRo
12-07-2004, 12:44 PM
The alcohol is probably being taken out.

ShooterJM
12-07-2004, 01:21 PM
if it's just a charcoal filter, charcoal doesn't absorb alcohol so the only loss should be stuff stuck in the filter and evaporation....

Will Wood
12-07-2004, 02:00 PM

Actually, I kinda like that stuff.
Well I don't like it obviously..but It's not that bad..
I drank about half the bottle of that stuff once. Oh god....
:tard: :wow: :wow: :tard: What an interesting night.

PyRo
12-07-2004, 02:37 PM
evaporation....
That's my point. The filter has a slow trickle comming out of it, meaning their could be a good amount of alcohol evaporating given how long it is exposed and the increased surface area. Then again I don't know how fast if at all that type of alchol evaporates.

PyRo
12-07-2004, 02:39 PM
I like it because it's cheap, if you do the math you're getting more alchol for the money :)

Will Wood
12-07-2004, 02:50 PM
I like it because it's cheap, if you do the math you're getting more alchol for the money :)
I know :clap: :dance: That's why I usually get it.
It's pretty much a buy one get one free compared to all the 80 proof fiths out there...

Python14
12-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Obviously these guys have never been to college....else their taste buds would already be immune to cheap/vile drinks such as but not limited to Aristocrat.

Can this be done with cheap Puerto Rican rum?

SlartyBartFast
12-07-2004, 03:03 PM
It's pretty much a buy one get one free compared to all the 80 proof fiths out there...

Proof is percentage times 2. So, 151 is 75.5% alcohol.

94% alcool is 188 proof. :eek:

You DON't want to drink that straight. :argh:

Will Wood
12-07-2004, 03:15 PM
Umm.. I know.

And I wouldn't dare touch that 94% stuff alone. I'd make a nice mix out of it.

Thordic
12-07-2004, 03:22 PM
People who do shots of Everclear are retarded.

They are just trying to show off. It makes your mouth feel nasty, not to mention it can easily induce vomiting.

Even 151 at least has some taste.

Everclear + Mr. Scrunchy Fruit Punch + Water = punch that women will destroy their livers on.

No one should ever let me make punch though. Some girl passed out in her own vomit and peed her pants after drinking my punch all night.

ShooterJM
12-07-2004, 03:23 PM
That's my point. The filter has a slow trickle comming out of it, meaning their could be a good amount of alcohol evaporating given how long it is exposed and the increased surface area. Then again I don't know how fast if at all that type of alchol evaporates.

Hmmm i'll try it this week. Assuming 40% alcohol maybe I can try to measure loss by differences in volume? And maybe if the alcohol is kept at a very cold temp....

Not very accurate, but I can't think of a good way to measure it on the cheap.

Will Wood
12-07-2004, 03:38 PM
Everclear + Mr. Scrunchy Fruit Punch + Water
While Fruitpunch does make an excellent mix, nothing can beat anything that has some blue Poweraid in it.
I stole a case of that stuff from my work for the sole reason of mixing it with alchohol.

HoppysMag
12-07-2004, 04:19 PM
ha ha i thought it was something good. i knew that already. now if u guys can show me how to turn the most abundend resource in college ( ramen noodles) into alcohol, then youd be my hero

HoppysMag
12-07-2004, 04:21 PM
Obviously these guys have never been to college....else their taste buds would already be immune to cheap/vile drinks such as but not limited to Aristocrat.

Can this be done with cheap Puerto Rican rum?

lol RUBINOFF! i came home and had some absolute and it was like water.

PyRo
12-07-2004, 04:29 PM
Hmmm i'll try it this week. Assuming 40% alcohol maybe I can try to measure loss by differences in volume? And maybe if the alcohol is kept at a very cold temp....

Not very accurate, but I can't think of a good way to measure it on the cheap.
You cannot do it unless you can measure proof. You will loose some volume because some of the liquid will get stuck in the filter and you have to determine if the alcohol is indeed evaporating faster than the whatever else is in it.

MantisMag
12-07-2004, 04:45 PM
ha ha i thought it was something good. i knew that already. now if u guys can show me how to turn the most abundend resource in college ( ramen noodles) into alcohol, then youd be my hero
all you need is a little something called the philosopher's stone. ;)

felony
12-07-2004, 05:43 PM
bet none of you dudes have done the man shot

TheTramp
12-07-2004, 05:54 PM
You cannot do it unless you can measure proof. You will loose some volume because some of the liquid will get stuck in the filter and you have to determine if the alcohol is indeed evaporating faster than the whatever else is in it.

Simply use a hydrometer to see if the specific gravity has changed. Although I guess if you don't homebrew you might not have a hydrometer.

bet none of you dudes have done the man shot

I sure haven't and I wish you hadn't told us you're into that kind of thing. ;)

bofh
12-07-2004, 07:09 PM
Simply use a hydrometer to see if the specific gravity has changed. Although I guess if you don't homebrew you might not have a hydrometer.

I saw this about two weeks ago, and decided I needed to try it. Not really for the cheap-ness but if it worked.

I started with Laird's Vodka, filtered it ten times, and messured it with a hydrometer before and after. And I kept a control sample.

and? Still horrible, not better if at all from the control. No difference in the hydrometer readings.

It's a few hours of my life I want back.

Python14
12-07-2004, 07:47 PM
Laird's Vodka

It's funny you mentioned Lairds. My crazy uncle from NJ thought bringing Lairds Applejack would be a good idea for a wedding gift. Well, if it was any other family, it would have been a gracious gift. However, considering half my family works for Jack Daniels and the other half was conceived as a result of Jack Daniels.....it was not recieved well.

Pythons Southern tip of the year for Northerners: Don't bring your wannabe-drinks down here. Dr. J. Daniels and his secretary(and *****) Jim Beam don't take kindly to it.

bofh
12-07-2004, 08:00 PM
However, considering half my family works for Jack Daniels and the other half was conceived as a result of Jack Daniels.....it was not recieved well.

Considering that the stuff costs 10 bucks for 1.75l, it's never going to be recieved well, anywhere.

I also bought a bottle of Gin while I was there, for the hell of it. I'm actually afraid to open the damn thing.

Python14
12-07-2004, 08:10 PM
Gin.......sweet jesus.....never will I touch Gin ever again. I had a little bit a while back and oh god, that was a night I want to forget.

Oh yeah, I never said my uncle was the best at giving gifts.

PyRo
12-07-2004, 10:23 PM
New theory, the more enibrated you become the less you can tell the differance.

HoppysMag
12-07-2004, 10:24 PM
bingo.
couple drinks later and 151 taste like candy :tard:

and jack is a good personaly friend of mine.

TheTramp
12-08-2004, 10:18 AM

They talk about that in their artical and claim that they were only drinking small amounts at each step. Who knows.

I think it'll still be a fun experement for a Friday/Saturday night when you don't have anything better to do.

SlartyBartFast
12-08-2004, 11:50 AM

That's why at a dinner party you serve the most expensive botles of wine first. :p

Thordic
12-08-2004, 12:12 PM
Laird's is like $5 a bottle. Its cheap mixer booze. You can get cheap mixer booze anywhere, I doubt its unique to NJ.

Python14
12-08-2004, 12:18 PM
Once again prooving my uncle has no idea what's going on. We had no idea what the hell Lairds was, we just knew he talked about it fairly constantly whenver he was here.

What the hell is applejack anyway? Vodka?

bofh
12-08-2004, 12:59 PM
Its cheap mixer booze.

The hell it is. It's paint thinner. I swear.

bofh
12-08-2004, 01:07 PM
Once again prooving my uncle has no idea what's going on. We had no idea what the hell Lairds was, we just knew he talked about it fairly constantly whenver he was here.

What the hell is applejack anyway? Vodka?

Behold, the learnination.Applejack? (http://www.queenannewine.com/laap.html)

See? NJ has been exporting hazardus waste since the 1700's

:eek:

Python14
12-08-2004, 01:38 PM
wow......looks like someone was trying to smuggle waste out of the state.

Thordic
12-08-2004, 02:15 PM
Oops I was thinking of Llords, not Lairds.

I'm sure its terrible nonetheless though.

Automaggot68
01-07-2005, 03:04 AM
NIGHT OF THE LIVING THREAD!

Oh man I'm a jerk

SpecialBlend2786
01-07-2005, 04:08 AM
NIGHT OF THE LIVING THREAD!

Oh man I'm a jerk

dude what is wrong with you :tard:

too much headbanging.

Major Ho
01-07-2005, 11:29 AM
Tried this just a few weeks ago. It really works, It removes any foul odor or taste, almost like water. But im a skeptic. I wanna know what the alcohol content is after the 5 filters. We made punch with the remaining handle with only 1 filter and 2 people were plenty drunk after that.

TheTramp
01-07-2005, 01:11 PM
I wanna know what the alcohol content is after the 5 filters.

Test the specific gravity before anf after the filtration. If it increases then you've lost alcohol.

FragTek
01-07-2005, 01:29 PM
Here's pix of the night Ho was talking about....
http://www.fragtek.com/pix/vodka1.JPG
http://www.fragtek.com/pix/vodka2.JPG

And it'll get u doin' crazy poses in front of the camera too!
http://www.fragtek.com/pix/crazyho.JPG

That was a fun night, too bad we got kicked out of IHOP :(

Python14
01-07-2005, 01:52 PM
lol, wow

cris8762
01-07-2005, 08:42 PM
ugh, i never want to hear the word Arisotcrat ever again!

at least while i'm sober

Kevmaster
01-07-2005, 08:47 PM
ugh, i never want to hear the word Arisotcrat ever again!

at least while i'm sober

i feel ya homes....

hows college treaten ya anyways?

but yeah...this year i've graduated on to bigger and better drinks....RUM!
Rum is the greatest drink known to man. So many flavors, so many great tastes...so many options...mmmm

cris8762
01-07-2005, 09:21 PM
college.....yea....... :ninja:

find out from UNC in three weeks ;)

hopefully college WILL be treating me very well, Franklin St. is very interesting after you have downed like a big *** cup of Aristocrat and fruit punch.......

brianlojeck
01-07-2005, 09:27 PM

step 1: mix with distilled water
step 2: toss in some cheese (or brewers starter if your into predictability)
step 3: wait a while
step 4: filter
step 5: hope to god nothing toxic grew in there, cause there's some alcohol in there too...

Kevmaster
01-07-2005, 09:28 PM
college.....yea....... :ninja:

find out from UNC in three weeks ;)

hopefully college WILL be treating me very well, Franklin St. is very interesting after you have downed like a big *** cup of Aristocrat and fruit punch.......

hehe

g/l mate...g/l

Python14
01-07-2005, 10:00 PM
i feel ya homes....

Rum is the greatest drink known to man. So many flavors, so many great tastes...so many options...mmmm

You speak the truh....so well.

HoppysMag
01-07-2005, 10:04 PM
you will soon move back to vodka, then onto the best of them all. whiskey.

oh and schnapps will fall in thier some where

Rooster
01-08-2005, 05:14 PM
Anything that ferments will create aclohol. Ramen noodles should as well as anything. You'll have to distil it to get it out, though.

nastymag
01-08-2005, 05:23 PM
i gotta try this .....

i am corrently treating a massive hangover at work ....

do not mix, Tequila , Cheap Vodka , Hennesy and Bud......

has anyone tried this with other liqours ? i wonder if they would lose taste

SlipknotX556
01-08-2005, 05:25 PM

Ah yes, 151, after doing straight shots of that, I said to myself, never again will I drink. But that didnt happen, lol.

I was in Wal-Mart the other day, they had Brita water filters, I should pick one up, but I already got good vodka, in my bar, o well.

BlackVCG
01-09-2005, 11:34 PM
Real Vodka is distilled from potatoes.

Drink monopolowa vodka and you won't bother with the rest.

http://www.internetwines.com/spirits-vodkatemplate-austria.html

gimp
01-10-2005, 03:19 PM
I filtered some cheap vodka (not sure what it was, but it was in a 'new lightweight traveler bottle'). I ran it through an old brita filter 5 times, and it worked. I'm not a big vodka drinker, but it's nice to know this procedure works. Now if there were some way to turn jim beam into jim beam black.....That would be the end of me.

Rooster
01-10-2005, 07:55 PM
I tried this, and it worked, but not as advertised. I was able to create vodka that tasted about the same as warm water. I had to drip it through, however. When i tried to fill up the pitcher, it went through too fast.

nippinout
01-10-2005, 09:32 PM
I have to wonder how potent the 'purified' vodka is.

Charcoal is used to sop up bad things if you've swallowed them. This cheap/awesome vodka might taste pretty good, but you might be getting less of the alcohol.

maglover728
01-11-2005, 03:20 AM
Anyone know how to make Kessler’s whiskey taste better. if I want to make sours, my wife will only let me buy the cheap stuff, so I must make due with what I can get. Any suggestions on how to make what i can get taste better would be appreciated.
:spit_take

matt-o
02-04-2005, 05:04 PM
i feel ya homes....

agreed, captain morgan is my homeboy
and maglover this probably works for all alcohol since it removes the impurities. i think ill try it on some really cheap rum

Rooster
02-04-2005, 06:57 PM
If that is true, Jack Daniels would have no alchohol content. All Jack Daniels is dripped through a giant charcoal vat.

CaptaiN_JacK
02-04-2005, 07:16 PM
I have to wonder how potent the 'purified' vodka is.

Charcoal is used to sop up bad things if you've swallowed them. This cheap/awesome vodka might taste pretty good, but you might be getting less of the alcohol.

People have tested this purified vodka for alcohol content and it stays nearly the same.

Jack_Dubious
02-04-2005, 08:02 PM
Ok I finally tried this out. I took a bottle of Kamchatka vodka and filtered it at *least* 8 times.

Compared to the original vodka, it was much better. Much smoother, and less aftertaste. Still a significant amount of odor left tho.

I compared it to some Grey Goose, and I thought the Grey Goose was still better, it was still a little smoother. The filtered vodka still retained a hit of flavor/aftertaste to it. But to be fair other people who tasted it liked it just fine. Also i did not chill the filtered vodka, so I am sure if it was chilled people would have a much harder time figuring which one is which. It would definately make a great mixing vodka.

All in all not bad for a bottle of $8 vodka (the cheapest at the store).

JDub

gimp
02-05-2005, 12:28 AM
We found that it worked better on some vodka than others. For example, it barely worked at all on crystal palace, but all the other crappy ones we tried worked pretty well.

spantol
02-05-2005, 12:40 AM
Life is far too short to waste time with cheap liquor.

I don't see the economy here. $6 for a fifth of Aristocrat, plus $15 for a Brita filter? For a couple more dollars, you can get the good stuff and save the time you'd spend filtering.

gimp
02-05-2005, 03:39 PM
The filter works for a long time. We've gone through more than 10 bottles on one filter now and it still works. It takes a little longer now, but it still works.

Dubstar112
02-07-2005, 02:19 AM

I fell in black river(NY) on a chilly november night drinking that stuff. sober friends yanked me out.