PDA

View Full Version : No more Bob Long in NXL

Bolter
12-07-2004, 09:25 AM
Rumour has it that the Oakland Assasins have left/been dropped/been banned from the NXL 05 due to them using the name "Ironmen" in the NPPL last event. The "Ironmen" name is owned by the NXL league and I guess they didnt like it.

I thought they owned the "LA Ironmen" name??? What a sad world it is.

Oh and Little John may be joining Legacy.

rkjunior303
12-07-2004, 09:32 AM
Go Boston Red legion! ;)

phantomhitman
12-07-2004, 10:33 AM
i read this on pbnation but was awaiting confirmation. I understand why a league would be so strict not to let their teams play elsewhere, but why is money the only thing invovled? I mean, you have great teams in each league, who cares if the team goes to another league and plays too?
I also understand the league got pissed because use of the name, not the fact they were playing in another league.

DiRTyBuNNy
12-07-2004, 10:35 AM
Rumour has it that the Oakland Assasins have left/been dropped/been banned from the NXL 05 due to them using the name "Ironmen" in the NPPL last event. The "Ironmen" name is owned by the NXL league and I guess they didnt like it.

I thought they owned the "LA Ironmen" name??? What a sad world it is.

do you mean "Oh" as in "Oh well.." or do you actually mean "Oh Pawluk"...because that guy has been totally useless for at least 10 years now..

Bolter
12-07-2004, 11:07 AM
do you mean "Oh" as in "Oh well.." or do you actually mean "Oh Pawluk"...because that guy has been totally useless for at least 10 years now..

er..... I meant oh as in "I should add...."

who the heck is Oh Pawluk? Is he a paintballer? If he plays for Oakland he's probably better than you so how can you judge?

If he doesnt, then whats his (or her) relevence in this thread? :)

stupiddogg
12-07-2004, 11:11 AM

who the heck is Oh Pawluk? Is he a paintballer? If he plays for Oakland he's probably better than you so how can you judge?

LMAO, OH, quit it he has been washed up ........ sorry I just spewed coffee on my desk From what I hear he usta be a baller....but from the interactions I have seen over the years NOPE does nothing for the pb community or sport, Just my .02

-=Squid=-
12-07-2004, 11:12 AM

Oh is that guy that is/was sponsored by AGD. He was in that AGD ad a lot with the pump mag.

- Goro

DiRTyBuNNy
12-07-2004, 11:13 AM

Oh Pawluk was an AGD sponsored player in the 90's who was from California but played for Bad Company out of Maryland...his claim to fame was wearing plaid for his playing gear (much like Dave Youngblood and his black Tuxedo coat). He still lives up in Northern California and offers nothing to the advancement of the sport...and yes, I probably am better than him...

rkjunior303
12-07-2004, 11:16 AM
Oh is that guy that is/was sponsored by AGD. He was in that AGD ad a lot with the pump mag.

- Goro

hey squid. where's my macroline? i sent you an e-mail, a pm and cash thru paypal over a month ago.

magman007
12-07-2004, 11:33 AM
hmm thats funny, because nxl players are aloud to play in other leagues, they made this rule after bob and other teams already threatened to leave via miami effect. i guess the name of ironmen being used, just pissed off the nxl even more. which im sure bob is pissed about, because im sure some of you old school players remember the fact that bob got into a huge fight with the ironmen when he left, and created boblongs ironmen

WARPED1
12-07-2004, 11:44 AM
Pretty dumb considering Bob formed the original Ironmen waaaaaaaaay back in like 1990, then when he left the team, he left the name.

Bolter
12-07-2004, 12:47 PM
Oh Pawluk was an AGD sponsored player in the 90's who was from California but played for Bad Company out of Maryland...his claim to fame was wearing plaid for his playing gear (much like Dave Youngblood and his black Tuxedo coat). He still lives up in Northern California and offers nothing to the advancement of the sport...and yes, I probably am better than him...

cheers for clearing that up. Still unsure as to how he got into this thread :)

rkjunior303
12-07-2004, 01:02 PM
cheers for clearing that up. Still unsure as to how he got into this thread :)

when you said:

He thought you meant "OH" and "Little John" as Oh Pawluk and Little John joining Legacy

RobAGD
12-07-2004, 02:20 PM
Well it is going to be rather intresting to see whats really going to happen.

NXL owns LA Ironmen's name thats part of the Franchise stuff, BUT and here is the big one, Bob Long should own the name Bob Longs Ironmen, after the fighting with Dave Durhan ( I think thats how its spelt ) over the name when they voted bob off the team.

Now the problem comes under useage, if they had used LA Iromen vs just The Men or Ironmen or BL Ironmen they should be ok. Look at how many teams use teh name Rams, Vikings Radiers chifs etc, i think its a branding issue where you couldnt have 2 teams from teh same area with the same name, example Kanasas City Chiefs and FSU Cheifs etc they can still use teh name Chief but wouldnt be able to use Kanasas City.

I hope bob fights it, if not it will make the Pro Div at NPPL and PSP events intresting

-Robert

Torbo
12-07-2004, 03:00 PM
i think the nxl is pretty flawed at this point anyway. Id much rather see those good teams and the best D1 xball teams play pro xball.

hitech
12-07-2004, 03:03 PM
..because im sure some of you old school players remember the fact that bob got into a huge fight with the ironmen when he left, and created boblongs ironmen

Actually, that is quite the understatement. AS I'm sure most of you know, Bob started the Ironmen in the late '80s. He wasn't always the easiest person to get along with, but it was HIS team.

GT
12-07-2004, 03:07 PM
offers nothing to the advancement of the sport......

and you do what for the sport? I dont know a single aGG "player" that has added a dam thing to the game, aside from producing slim shady wannabe's and chrony queens.

gt

LudavicoSoldier
12-07-2004, 03:17 PM
and you do waht for the sport? I dont know a single aGG "player" that has added a dam thing to the game, aside from producing slim shady wannabe's and chrony queens.

gt

Nice one!

IMHO nothing much has been added to paintball, the game OR the sport, in the past few years. Its all take take take...

LittlePaintballBoy
12-07-2004, 03:31 PM
Oh still works at Predator paintball in the Folsom area of NorCal.

xXHavokXx
12-07-2004, 03:34 PM
Bob Moon runs predator now.

LittlePaintballBoy
12-07-2004, 03:43 PM
He worked there last time I went lol, haven't been there for a while though :)

tony3
12-07-2004, 04:14 PM
I guess they don't want any competition for legion? :rolleyes:

NXL such a great idea, gone so horribly wrong.

nastymag
12-07-2004, 04:36 PM
^^ what he said^^

i wonder if legion wants to be the leader on a sinking ship?

Bolter
12-07-2004, 04:47 PM
I think the russians are happy playing ball fullstop.

wimag
12-07-2004, 06:29 PM

are you serious about you being a better player than him. i know you are/were a gunwhore but never really heard you talk about any tournie experience that would back up that statement

brtncstm160
12-07-2004, 07:38 PM
Actually, that is quite the understatement. AS I'm sure most of you know, Bob started the Ironmen in the late '80s. He wasn't always the easiest person to get along with, but it was HIS team.

Bob Long actually did not start the ironmen back in the 80's. Bob long was actually a player that did play on the ironmen but did not start it. Rick Beard i believe it is started the team along with several other people in the 80's. The ironmen were named after the Fremont iron workers in Northern California, who most of the players were. Bob later did join the team after it was started and did make the team popular and famous. So you are in some ways correct to say that bob long had a huge role in the ironmen but never started the team.

JJ

Battlewear
12-07-2004, 07:48 PM
I'll see if I can get any word here.. Josh Davey was here last week at a Try out for the National Speed Ball championships (a special team being created).. I see if he mentioned any thing to any one here..

It was pretty cool getting the chance to talk to Josh about how to improve my game :) (When it comes to speed ball I absolutely SUCK LOL)..

Eatem Alive
12-07-2004, 07:54 PM
Bob Long actually did not start the ironmen back in the 80's. Bob long was actually a player that did play on the ironmen but did not start it. Rick Beard i believe it is started the team along with several other people in the 80's. The ironmen were named after the Fremont iron workers in Northern California, who most of the players were. Bob later did join the team after it was started and did make the team popular and famous. So you are in some ways correct to say that bob long had a huge role in the ironmen but never started the team.

JJ
you are correct except is was "baird" not "beard".

hitech
12-07-2004, 08:44 PM
Bob Long actually did not start the ironmen back in the 80's...Rick Beard i believe it is started the team along with several other people in the 80's...

I'm surprised. I guess he never actually told me that he started the team. I just always assumed it since he was the captian since I knew him. I always assumed Bob started the Ironmen and Fred started Constant Pursuit. I'm not wrong about Fred starting Constant Pursuit, am I? I don't actually remember him saying he started it... ;)

:cheers:

LittlePaintballBoy
12-07-2004, 08:47 PM

Yeah, he is. ;)

brtncstm160
12-07-2004, 09:42 PM
Thank you for the clarification Eatem Alive wasnt sure on the spelling. There is quite a bit of information that not many people know about Bob Long. The local field owner that i hang out with was an original member of Ironmen when it first started, Mike Leon, and he has told me all about the old team and Bob Long.

JJ

Bolter
12-08-2004, 08:41 AM
taken from their forums:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Little John Tells All
After receiving word that ‘Little’ John Marquez was leaving the Assassins, we hurriedly got on the horn to see what brought about what is undoubtedly one of the biggest surprise moves not only of the off-season, but in all of Paintball. Here's what we got :

PGi: We just got word of you leaving the Oakland Assassins- what happened?

Little John: The main reason for leaving is family. My wife Sophia is expecting our second son mid-February. It's hard to manage one toddler let alone two. Traveling as much as I did was getting hard on the family. The road with Bob was shiny and bright; it definitely was one of the hardest decisions of my Paintball life. It's like waking up in the morning and not knowing why your favorite hat doesn't fit no more. Time to break in a new hat. There were other factors that made the move easy, which was the lack of support from outside sponsorships and a lot of paintball politics. These factors encouraged me to pursue a job that needed me as a player and as a marketing tool. My life as a player is short lived, and by moving, the athlete in me will grow, my business will grow, and also the image I portray as a person and athlete will not be forgotten. Kids gotta eat and the wife questions if the cuts and bruises are a good payoff for what I bring to the table.

PGi: Have you had any kind of backlash yet?

LJ: No, not at all, I told Bob on Tuesday and spoke to him almost every day since. Bob and I are still good friends. The techs, the players, all the loyalist are still behind the move. They know the reasons without me saying anything to them. They know I am the exception to the rule “you can only be as good as your gun” hooplah.

PGi: What kind of an impact, if any, could this have on Hybrid?

LJ: I think with new adventures come new treasures, and the obstacles that one needs to overcome to reach them. This will provide open avenues of relationships which we are all about establishing. Also, very lucrative if the NXL decides to become a true franchise industry. If there is any doubt on the team, I will produce a winning team for Gary (Gary Shows, SD Legacy franchise owner), with any means necessary!

PGi: So, is Legacy completely rebuilding this season or are you to be playing the role of big brother for 2005?

LJ: Legacy is definitely making changes for "05". I'm excited to be part of the team and back with my friends in the Mecca of paintball "SoCal". The gene pool is still strong within the SOCAL community. With guidance and teamwork, I think that the rebuilding year will be quick and the team will be recognized as a competitive team, not a “too young team”. If we need too, I’ll look elsewhere for talent. I have a say on the direction of the company. Legacy is a franchise company.

msm0711
12-08-2004, 03:04 PM

As I recall, Oh Pawluk was one of those few who stood up for this game when even state legislatures (NJ I think) were trying to ban it on a statewide level. He did more than most of us ever will for the advancement of this sport and should be respected for it. If he and others like him didn't push like they did in the late 80's and early 90's like they did, all "ballers" would be doing other things, and all the little aGGots would be sitting home listening to Brittany Spears CDs........ Though I do remember some really goofy looking pics of him and a blonde chic in Ads from old APGs........ :cool:

xXHavokXx
12-08-2004, 03:07 PM
As I recall, Oh Pawluk was one of those few who stood up for this game when even state legislatures (NJ I think) were trying to ban it on a statewide level. He did more than most of us ever will for the advancement of this sport and should be respected for it. If he and others like him didn't push like they did in the late 80's and early 90's like they did, all "ballers" would be doing other things, and all the little aGGots would be sitting home listening to Brittany Spears CDs........ Though I do remember some really goofy looking pics of him and a blonde chic in Ads from old APGs........ :cool:

Thats his wife. She can't do math.

msm0711
12-08-2004, 03:43 PM
Thats his wife. She can't do math.

LOL! Searched for that pic, couldn't find it, did find this though:

http://www.tyger.us/paintball/oldschool/covers/APG94-12.jpg

and this of the Ironmen, things change

http://www.tyger.us/paintball/oldschool/players/IMEN91.JPG