PDA

View Full Version : Tom Kaye Retires from Paintball, AGD Under New Management

Pages : [1] 2

AGD
12-08-2004, 06:11 PM
To all my friends on AO and in Paintball,

It has been no secret that AGD has been under financial stress for many years. With the recent downturn in the industry it no longer makes sense for me and my family to pursue a living from this great game. Effective today I will be retiring and moving on to other business ventures outside paintball.

Dave Zupan who many of you know as my vice president, has bought out our inventory and will be taking over running the company. For most people AGD will still be in business as usual and you will still be able to call and order product. Please give him the same respect and feedback you have given me for so many years.

It has been a privilege to watch an industry grow from a spark into a raging fire that covered the world. I am proud to have contributed in my small way. Most of all I was glad to know the people of paintball, especially my customers. AO has been my constant companion for years now and I never expected all the benefits, joys and sorrows that came from knowing you all.

I will still continue to promote and participate in the Shatner event but its unlikely that I will be attending any other events during the year. I certainly didn’t think it would end like this but I am the last of a long gone group of paintball founders that are not around any more.

I sincerely hope that paintball gets past its recent flurry of issues and comes together as the great game and industry we all know it can be. To all of the players I want you to remember that its YOU who control this game and this industry. Treat it wisely and vote with your dollars so your kids can play along side you some day.

I will answer questions in this thread, please start another one for general comments and I will sticky it.

Thank you all for being the greatest customers and friends that a guy could wish for!!

Tom Kaye AGD

FutureMagOwner
12-08-2004, 06:13 PM
wow didnt see this coming

LudavicoSoldier
12-08-2004, 06:15 PM
Woah! Good luck in your other ventures. Given the state of the industry today, I would retire too.

I truely hope that this is not the beginning of the end for AGD. That would be a sad day indeed. Again, good luck, and godspeed! :shooting:

DiSoRdeR
12-08-2004, 06:17 PM
So you are retiring from Paintball in gernal or just from the Buisness/Industry? And does this mean you will no longer be posting on AO?

dynastyfan
12-08-2004, 06:18 PM
i can't say that i blame you one bit. but it is sad that you have to do this i wish that this didnt happen but i do not blame you in any way shape or form.

Rift
12-08-2004, 06:19 PM
:cry: sorry to hear you go tom, i wish ya the best of luck to you and your family wherever you may be going, and i will always continue to shoot your great gun!

Magaman
12-08-2004, 06:20 PM
:cry: :cry: :cry: :(

You'll still play Shatner though.... Right :confused:

sicones
12-08-2004, 06:21 PM
can someone explain whats going on, why is he quiting????

MindJob
12-08-2004, 06:21 PM
We Shall Avenge You.............

BobTheCow
12-08-2004, 06:23 PM
Sorry to see you go. You've done a great thing, with mags, and AGD, and AO, (and air tanks, and warp feeds, and barrel condoms and yadda yadda YA), and most importantly, the sport of paintball as a whole. Best of luck with your future endeavors, I hope you'll find happiness in whatever you choose to do.

**edit** TOM KAYE, good friend of ours... honor us with one last chat party before you go for good? :)

Also, will AO and irc.automags.org stick around?

Kevmaster
12-08-2004, 06:24 PM
Holy ****!

Glickman
12-08-2004, 06:24 PM
Really sad to see you go :cry: , youve done an awsome thing for paintball, and paintballers everywhere. Your still gonna pop back once and a while at Shatnerball right? :D

Congrats Dave, hope to see you on the forums!

Well Miss You Tom!

LudavicoSoldier
12-08-2004, 06:25 PM
So is this officially the end of an era in paintball? It sure feels like it... :cry:

Will Wood
12-08-2004, 06:26 PM
Pursue your new job with the same enthusiasm and you'll be all set :dance: :dance:

Probably was best that you left now before things could possibly get bad.

Good luck!

Paintball will always remember the contributions you gave to the sport.

Eatem Alive
12-08-2004, 06:26 PM
tom,
i would like to thank you for an outstanding product and service that has lasted through all of these years. from my first mag in 1991 (#1496) to my x-rogue mag of today, thanks.

sorry to see you go,
cory

quik
12-08-2004, 06:27 PM
Those goofy air tanks, they'll never catch on!

Have fun with the rest of your days.

evan123
12-08-2004, 06:29 PM
Holy crap

nerobro
12-08-2004, 06:29 PM
Tom, we will miss you.

nato
12-08-2004, 06:33 PM
Thanks for letting us know and I wish you the best of luck with the rest of your life.

N.A.T.O.

mag88888
12-08-2004, 06:34 PM
wowwww. i thought that agd was getting more popular. i guess i didnt understand. well i hope that you succed in whatever you do from now on. good luck. ps:thanks for the great gun. its WAY BETTER than any of the others. GOOD LUCK.

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
12-08-2004, 06:35 PM
:eek:

trevorjk
12-08-2004, 06:35 PM
you said that you would answer questions in this thread. so here is one for you :D

can we still expect to see you out at some feilds occasionally, and i mean this as will you just wake up one day and be like, im going paintball today? and will you still be a father figure here on AO?

RogueFactoryKid
12-08-2004, 06:39 PM
Oh Snap! :(

BobTheCow
12-08-2004, 06:39 PM
you said that you would answer questions in this thread. so here is one for you :D

can we still expect to see you out at some feilds occasionally? and will you still be a father figure here on AO?I have a feeling he'll always be a father figure for AO, whether he wants to or not. :)

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
12-08-2004, 06:42 PM
MR. KAYE MR. KAYE MY SYDARM NO WORKY! *waves sydarm around*

AGD
12-08-2004, 06:44 PM
What will happen to AO?

I need to find a way to make AO pay for itself. If it can do that it can stay around forever. I will be selling banner space as a first try but if that doesnt work it might have to go to some kind of membership fee. Stuff like AO has to get paid for somehow and Dave didn't take over all the bills I have to pay.

Will I show up at events?

Maybe, maybe not. You have to understand how hard it is to come back as an unknown. You all know me but in a couple months I will be invisible to 99% of the paintball world. Thats just the way it is.

AGD

FallNAngel
12-08-2004, 06:45 PM
You continue to expect that things will be the same but in reality the old days of paintball are gone forever. The general paintball public hasn't put it all together yet. They dont understand that AKA is done making guns forever. That Odessey who brought you the best loader ever is now hovering at bankruptcy. WGP just gave up the whole upper end marrket in favor of a spider clone. Glen Palmer is going to retire to another country. Tippmann is now controlled by the functional equivalent of a superpower and the best Bob Long can do is come out with a new look every month.

I suppose we should add Tom Kaye stepping down as President of Air Gun Designs to the list. Thanks for your contributions the the sport of paintball, you will be missed.

magmonkey
12-08-2004, 06:47 PM
Tom,

first off, thank you so much for eveything you have done for the sport.
you and your company are the reasons I am in the paintball business .

I wish things were different, I kind of felt this was coming after talking with you at IAO, I was hoping things would get better.

I hope things change and someday we see you again, the sport needs more people like you not less.....

respectfuly
Alan
Destructive Customs

trevorjk
12-08-2004, 06:49 PM
What will happen to AO?

I need to find a way to make AO pay for itself. If it can do that it can stay around forever. I will be selling banner space as a first try but if that doesnt work it might have to go to some kind of membership fee. Stuff like AO has to get paid for somehow and Dave didn't take over all the bills I have to pay.

AGD

ever try a donation thing? id gladly give money for AO

Painthappy
12-08-2004, 06:51 PM
Tom:

As this may come to a huge surprise to me and 99.9% of the industry....

May I ask how long you have been planing this move? Or was this something that you just one day woke up and said "Enough"?

If it was me, I would see this as a decision that I would have to labor on for years.....

Anyhow....
God Speed, and good luck with your future ventures.

Carter
aka
Painthappy

evildead420
12-08-2004, 06:51 PM
wow, :eek: no way. have a geat retirement, nuff said

xballfan780
12-08-2004, 06:52 PM
Tom , you have been like my idol and creator of my emag, We will never forget you

ah shucks
:cry: :cry: :cry:

you should start a paypall donation thingy

WenULiVeUdiE
12-08-2004, 06:52 PM
Maybe, maybe not. You have to understand how hard it is to come back as an unknown. You all know me but in a couple months I will be invisible to 99% of the paintball world. Thats just the way it is.

Well, the other 1% will never forget what you did for this game. You have changed this sport in a way that no one can and ever will say is bad. Good luck with the rest of your business ventures. I will never forget what you have done for this game.

ShatterStar
12-08-2004, 06:53 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

hitech
12-08-2004, 06:53 PM
You all know me but in a couple months I will be invisible to 99% of the paintball world. Thats just the way it is.

I think you underestimate you contributions. I think many, many people will know who you are.

Are you not going to play paintball (save Shatner ball) anymore? I always got the impression that you liked to play. Maybe it will be more enjoyable now that the pressure is off.

Good luck. :cheers: I hate to see you go. This place had come to feel like home.

P.S. Am I the only one not surprised? :wow:

chefstevie
12-08-2004, 06:54 PM
o crap this sucks i love you

cougar20th
12-08-2004, 06:55 PM
Thanks for all youve done for the sport and i wish you the best luck with your new endevers

PBX Ronin 23
The Titans are gone. Long live the Titans!

With the recent acquisition of Worr Games Product by K2, Bud Orr is slowly but surely easing into retirement from the game. With Tom’s announcement, the Paintball Community has lost its last Titan.

Many of the younger players now will probably not remember who these two men were and what it was that they did for the sport. Many of us are too busy tweedling with our guns trying to make them bounce and make them perform in ways that a lot of people use to say only a few years back to be impossible.

What Bob Gurnsey and Hayes Noel started, Tom and Bud took to the next level. In the hay days of these men, paintball wasn’t so much an industry as much as it was a community. To those that followed them then, all the things made and actions taken were for the love of the game. With the recent environment that has befallen paintball, men concerned with the community are now replaced by those whose only concern is the bottomline. In a capitalist society, there’s nothing wrong with that. But capitalism wasn’t the motivation or the catalyst for the explosive growth of the sport. It was the players, the people who led the community and their collective love of the game.

Let’s face it, if Tom was all about greed, he would have been in the position to greatly capitalize on many of the things that he created. From the first recorded use of an electronic trigger on a paintball gun to the introduction of the use of compressed air, he was in the thick of things. He knew that if he was to fully exploit the commercial potential of his work, he would stifle the growth of his community. He chose instead to do what was best for all.

Today, I express my sadness because one of the game’s last remaining titans is departing. It is with a great deal of fondness that I say Thanks and Farewell to Tom. Whatever heights we reach as an industry is only possible because you allowed us to stand on top of your shoulders for a very long time.

Best regards,

oneworld
:confused: is this leagle?

Python14
12-08-2004, 06:57 PM
Well, my world is turned upside down as I know it.

Good luck, Tom. Best Wishes in all your endeavours. And most importantly, Thank you, for making paintball what it is. Thank you so much. :D :( :D :D

JoshK
12-08-2004, 06:58 PM
I havnt even bought one of your guns before you quit...well...does the new owner have any plans for new guns ect? If you dont mind me asking...what buisnes endevor are you going for now?

punkncat
12-08-2004, 06:58 PM
Just WOW!!!!

I hate to see you go , but all good things come to an end. I really hope that the new owner continues down the path you have blazed. I would hate to see mags fade into oblivion.

I wonder what is to happen with this new mystery line that was to be rolled out? Is this actually part of that? Silent partner in a "sellout" , change names , get away from the old perceptions?

I hate to see the site go as well.....

It was really great to get to meet you at the last AOSE. Best wishes for your future and for the future of paintball.

Thanks for everything Tom.
:cry:

personman
12-08-2004, 06:59 PM
My words when I saw this thread:
"What? WHAT? WHAT?!>!?!?!?"

Tom, it's going to be a completely different sport without you :(
I just hope this dave guy has half the innovation you have :)

oldsoldier
12-08-2004, 07:00 PM
Tom, you know you'll be missed. I was first introduced (back) into painball with a mag, and had lots of fun, and met many great friends, because of it. No one here begrudges your retirement; guess we should've seen this coming. You are one of the great pioneers of the sport. I know that, 20 years from now, when this sport may be big enough, people will look back on the beginnings of it, and your name will be amongst the few that advanced this sport. Good luck to you and your family, take care, and I hope we will meet again one day soon. Best of luck to you.

SpecialBlend2786
:(
Its sad to hear that you're going, but I'm sure AGD is in good hands. What are you planning on focusing now that you are out of the paintball industry? Whatever it is I wish you the best of luck, its been a blast. You've been a great role model and friend to us all, i mean what other president would take the time to answer questions for a kids school project. Only you.

Don't forget about us, keep us posted on your digs :)

~Azaam

WARPED1
Wow, good luck Tom. You were an industry leader.

Fatjon
12-08-2004, 07:02 PM
Tom you will be missed. I loved shooting mags for so long, You have made a huge impact on the game. I couldnt believe what i seen, when i saw tom kaye retires.... on the last post when i logged on.

Just make as big of an impact in your new place. Keep in touch, you will not be forgotten here.

JoshK
12-08-2004, 07:04 PM
Wow, good luck Tom. You were an industry leader.

Ahhh....why does it have to be the "were" word...why cant it stay "is"? :shooting: :shooting: :cry:

p8ntball365
12-08-2004, 07:05 PM
Farewell Tom. When I see that pic from 1991 I will laugh, but not because you guys look a little goofy (sorry), but because I will think of the man who stuck his tongue in the breech of a mag, and shoot it, to prove that AGD is awesome. Thanks for my markers, and good luck with whatever you do.

slade
12-08-2004, 07:07 PM
wow was i surprised when i saw this thread title... that was unexpected.

well, good luck in whatever you decide to do, you will be missed.

and yes, i would also support a paypal donation to keep AO.

Bulldog
12-08-2004, 07:09 PM
While I can't say I'm surprised, it still is a bit of shock to see it happen. Good luck in your future endeavors, and know that you had a major impact on the game, and many people, for the better.

Chronobreak
12-08-2004, 07:10 PM
so whos doing the military stuff now? no one? or did he take that too?

please dont leave the boards :(

does this also eman we may be facing even more changes with agd?

did agd drop the hair(in favor of ptp) or what?

soo many questions..but they dont need to be answered right know...

except this one..WHERES THE WARP SLUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

hope you enjoy your retirement. i was hoping you were going to pcik the new owner like willy wonka and the chocalate factory style. o well :(

ScatterPlot
12-08-2004, 07:12 PM
You could EASILY run AO with a donate button. We all love it THAT much.
Good luck, praying for ya man.

On another note, who wants to start the tomsotherbusinees.org forum that we can all troll around in? ;)

Lorenz0666
12-08-2004, 07:15 PM
Tom i never you personlly, but its sad to see you go, even we do share one big moment in each others life, for me it was calling game over on top of The Temple of Doom when you claimed the flag to defeat Shatner, knowing i'm seeing one of the great minds of paintball and of course for you to win that. all in all good luck and thanks for everything

Al Ray
12-08-2004, 07:15 PM
I thank you for contributing as much as you have to the paintball community. I recently purchased a few automags (used, from makeshift @ mcarterbrown.com) and have been pouring through the online manual for the level 7 while waiting for them to arrive. I am very impressed, the manuals read exactly like they should and are the best I've seen in paintball related fields. I'm sure your VP will put as much effort as you have into AGD,s fine product. In closing I would like to invite you to visit www.mcarterbrown.com, Im sure myself and the other members would be more than happy to chat with you from time to time. Once again thank you Tom.

Al Ray

Lurker27
12-08-2004, 07:16 PM
It's hard to be an innovator in a stagnant industry. The top of the line hasn't been raised at all in 2 years.

nippinout
12-08-2004, 07:19 PM
Can you fill us in on Dave Zupan? Perhaps he can answer a few questions?

Does he own AGD now witht he inventory he bought? Partner, and TK as a now silent partner?

What is his history with AGD and paintball in general. Is he an engineer?

And most importantly, does Dave Zupan love paintball? Does he have a passion for it, or is it just a job. This concerns me most. What I loved so much about certain companies was the fact that the man in charge had a love for paintball.

Tippmann, WGP, were once owned and run by men who loved paintball. Will AGD continue on with someone who cares not only about making a living, but loving what they are doing?

GA Devil
12-08-2004, 07:20 PM
Good luck tom. You made paintball what it is today for me. Your product brought me into the sport and in business. I hate to see this happen but you have to do what you have to do. Like I said good luck and april and I give our best wishes for you.

Cryer
12-08-2004, 07:20 PM
Godspeed and Goodluck, Tom.

You're a man of unequalled patience to have stayed in as long as you have under the circumstances. You've done alot of good for the paintball community and I pray it comes back around to you in some form.

vonort
12-08-2004, 07:22 PM
Tom you will be greatly missed. Once again we loos another class act in the sport of paintball. Damn.. now I have to get me another mag.. hmmmm. :cry:

cphilip
While I was busy dealing with morons and making announcements on AO and then Tom hits me with a hammer! Ouch!

Well... my personal expressions will remain in the private forum. In the meantime we AO Admins and Mods will sort out the details as they are given to us and keep things running until we get clear instructions from Tom.

And no... we had no warning. I read it here.... So we are a ship without a Captain until we see what he wants to do. But in the mean time its bussiness normal until we know what to do.

I for one an tireing of the politics and undehandedness of many people getting into the bussiness myself. So its no real suprise to me. It's not been fun lately. So I understand some of Tom's motivations to move on. Being excited about what you do is important. And the excitement is not there like it was I guess.

lautt
tomsotherbusinees.org forum that we can all troll around in? ;)

lol i'm in!!!

:cheers: tom you made paintball what it is :headbang:

AGDlover
12-08-2004, 07:23 PM
No Tom dont do this to us we promis to be better COME BACK TOM!!!! :cry: :cry:

barrel break
I'm stunned, Tom, you have been an icon, a rock on which paintball as a universe exists for me. I'm saddened, and now I feel like, I dont exactly know... :cry:

ilikePB
Didn't see that coming.

TMAXXKING1
12-08-2004, 07:25 PM
there is no way anyone will forget you and what you have done for this sport ...
and people will carry on the mag name for many many years to come ...
i am very happy i got back into mags ... and i will never go back to the jap junk.. sold by other companies ...

as for keeping ao up ... there are plenty of people that would be willing to pay a small fee every month .. to keep this great site up and going ...

count me in on that ........

thanks for every thing you have done to paintball .......

doobie98
12-08-2004, 07:25 PM
Bye Tom. Thanks for all you've done for this industry. I got to meet you at the IAO,and your one of the nicest men I've ever met.
I hope this life will treat you well.

Take care.
~Caleb.

Sinistarr
12-08-2004, 07:28 PM
Good luck Tom!

This doesn't change the fact that there are many great innovations brought to the sport by you and Airgun Designs. I for one, will still be shooting my emag while others are still working on their markers. ;)

I do hope to trade paint with you again, hopefully soon. :shooting:

Just don't forget us! We won't forget you (right away... ;) :D )

:cheers:

SummaryJudgement
12-08-2004, 07:30 PM
It's a shame, it's a shame :(

Best of luck of course! Hope all works out. Let us know what's going on in your future!

Maybe this will give me enough motivation to make it to Shatnerball so I can meet the man himself :hail:

judgetimmmaaa
12-08-2004, 07:33 PM
I have a New Tac one and several others along with my first mag a micro mag with serial #325. Your in the books with Bushmaste Line SI

professor_chaos
12-08-2004, 07:34 PM
I agree, start a donation through paypal like many other sites have done, Im sure many would give some $$$. Thanks for all the great products, you will be missed. :cry:

TheShark
12-08-2004, 07:35 PM
Back in 96 I loved your guns, but could never buy one. I only learned about you personally and the latest innovations to the mag in the last 6 months, and finally purchased my first mag. Thanks for making such a great product, and providing the means for this community to exist. Good luck.

MarkM
12-08-2004, 07:37 PM
Tom, I am glad that I was able to switch my ticket to able to hook up with you at the TFT event in Georgia. Now I am sad to hear that you have had to make this annoucement...good luck with the bone digging.

Mark

LittlePaintballBoy
12-08-2004, 07:40 PM
Wow.

lopxtc
12-08-2004, 07:40 PM
Well I must say that I will be sad to you go ... I first met you back at the start of the 90s, I believe it was one of the big games in STL, and was rather impressed with you as a person back then.

I can understand your feelings as I am sure many of the players that have been playing for as long as I have and longer have often felt about pulling away from main stream paintball and just laying low in the woods ball and rec fields in the world. Good luck with your future endevors and best of luck to you and your family.

Aaron Obst

FreakBaller12
12-08-2004, 07:44 PM
This truely saddens me. I've learned so much on thse forums and learned the mag way here. Tom your the only guy that took the time to actually talk to his "groupie" on a regular basis. For that I thank you.

1. where is your marker and pb collection going to go, you easily have 10,000 worth of it.
2. Any hints on what AGD and the new owner will do next?
3. Will he come on Ao like you have?
4. Will agd's quality stay high

nuclear zombie
12-08-2004, 07:45 PM
I suppose we should add Tom Kaye stepping down as President of Air Gun Designs to the list. Thanks for your contributions the the sport of paintball, you will be missed.

don't forget about Earron Carter retiring as well ,
Thank You TK , for providing an awesome product and an even better company backing it up , but most importantly thank you for loving the sport .

TK at D-Day --> :shooting:

AGDlover
12-08-2004, 07:46 PM
BTW to all when my e-mag gets sent out for anno it will be in Dedication to TK so if anybody has anything like slogens to anno or lazer ingrave into it IM me AGDlover04 or PM me

Sockman
12-08-2004, 07:47 PM
Well, it had to happen someday. :( Long ago(more like over 5 years ago), when I played my very first game, I first shot an Automag. Quite possibly the slickest gun I have ever shot/owned, my perception of paintball had forever changed. Now, years later as I read this, I glance down at my ULE RT-Pro--still in the box--, I wonder where, oh where will AGD go now? Hell, where will paintball as an industry go from here? Will AGD fail now that Tom is no longer CEO, or will it fight back to become the top name in paintball once again? I hope for the latter, for all these electronic guns have to have a legit competitor.
I myself, am also pondering my place in this hobby of mine, more of being a player than anything else....so I can somehow guess how Tom feels about this.

*Sigh*

Maybe it was just time to go, or perhaps the industry just got too cuckoo. Either way, Tom, SALUT! :cheers: :hail:

Major Ho
12-08-2004, 07:50 PM
4 More Years!!! 4 More Years!!! :hail:

Kaiser Bob
12-08-2004, 07:59 PM
Talk about a doubletake... When I first saw this thread stickied, I first thought "What's up with this? It's not April 1st yet..." But its for real. Tom, it was a good time while it lasted. You gave birth to ideas that were the steering currents for the whole industry and to this day and for many more to come you have left your mark. Paintball has definitely changed in the past couple of years, AO is no exception. But regardless of what happens to paintball or AO in the future, you can definitely say you have had a positive effect on thousands of people, and quite a few on a personal level. That's not something many can say. Good luck in your future endeavors Tom, and I hope that you still at least pop in on AO and at some events from time to time.

the123
12-08-2004, 08:23 PM
Tom, thank you for all the AWESOME times. And the future ones. I will continue to use AGD products for the length of my paintball career, however long that is. The stuff works so well, that it's hard NOT to have a great time every time out on the field.
Lets just hope Zupe doesn't blow the place up with one of his rockets. How about having him come to AO and posting as new CEO of AGD.
Brian

gibby
12-08-2004, 08:26 PM
WoW!! Good luck Tom!! Thanks for everything you've done for us and the community!! I'm sure the next "spark" that you start will become a blazing fire! Can I buy stocks? ;)

TooDamnSweet
12-08-2004, 08:29 PM
Wow. I thought you'd be here forever. You're the one who got me into paintball! Thanks for all the advice and the fun! I'm sure it was a tough decision but I'm sure your next venture will be greater than this one. Take a vacation first though LOL

I guess my only chance to hang out with you will be at Shatnerball. :cry:

i_baked_cookies
12-08-2004, 08:30 PM
i never thought one of the greatest men in paintball history would retire.

i wish u good luck TK!

Jackel411
12-08-2004, 08:34 PM
HOLY Crap!

Good luck and god speed.. never saw this coming with the recent pres youve been getting

Hey at least I met you once at IAO at the industry party.. And to clarify things nah.. Im not the future of paintball , I quit the industry to I rather stick to my custom work I do and Ill be happy.. paintball is only a for of me getting beer money its far to politcal for me to care about it any more.

Good luck man

Vanced
12-08-2004, 08:36 PM
Simply put...

Thanks for the last decade and a half then some...

You will never be replaced or forgotten...

FireITup14
12-08-2004, 08:37 PM
Viva Tom!!!

atm743
12-08-2004, 08:42 PM
:eek:

you will and allways be the mag man!!!!!

goodluck for whatever comes up !!

robdamanii
12-08-2004, 08:45 PM
Tom,

I know my contribution has been minimal here and the words may not mean much, but I have greatly admired everything you've contributed to this industry in the time you've been involved.

I still remember playing my first games back in the mid '90s, and hearing that the Automag was THE marker to own at the time. I remember not being able to afford it at the time, and it took me nearly 7 years to be able to afford a Mag. At that time, it was an x-valved, ULE, LX mag and it was amazing. That marker alone drew me out of low end guns forever, and forever cemented you and AGD as innovators parrelleled by very few.

I've seen, in my involvement in the past 4 years or so, Bud Orr begin to fade away, Bob Long begin to fade away, and now, the last of the great innovators of the sport, fade off into the sunset.

Tom, don't ever underestimate your contribution to the sport. You will NOT be forgotten for what you've done, and you will never show up at any event as a nobody. There will always be those of us who will remember you and what you've done for all of us, and we will always keep that alive and well in paintball's roots.

Godspeed Mr. Kaye. Good luck in your endeavors, and please, don't disappear into the sunset because you think you'll be forgotten. You've made paintball mean so much to all of us, come back occasionally, and let us show you what you mean to us. And don't forget your admirers here either.

And thanks for everything, Tom. As sincere as it can be over the internet, thanks.

jayloo
12-08-2004, 08:48 PM
Good luck TK.

Evil Preacher
12-08-2004, 08:50 PM
Tom, sorry to see you go. Funny thing is, I saw it coming. When you talked about other things in your life, there was the passion of the man I met years ago when he talked about paintball.

It has been a honor to know you. I will always remember the times we got to talk about everything and anything.

Good luck and enjoy the garlic rolls.

Preacher

Target Practice
12-08-2004, 08:52 PM
You know, I can't help but feel that I knew this was coming. It's sad nonetheless. I want to thank you for all the blood, sweat, and tears that you've put into this sport. I also see how the sport that you helped to build is being infected with politics and infighting.

On behalf of myself, Sarah, Army (until he get's the news), and the rest of AO: Thank you, and may all of your future endeavours be successful.

Ryan McCalman

meshaq
12-08-2004, 08:53 PM
i pooped my pants when i first read the thread title. :eek:

its true as others have said, that 99% of the industry wont know you, but the other 1%will be in debt to you for ever.

Steelrat
12-08-2004, 08:54 PM
Sic Transit Gloria.

Good luck Tom.

zackzel
12-08-2004, 09:01 PM
I was deeply saddened when I read this thread :cry:

I have been using automags since I started from the 68 classic now to the X-mag that I currently use and everything inbetween. I know that I never personally met you Tom but I want to thank you for all that you have contributed to the sport and wish you the best of luck in whatever you pursue next.

I just really hope that this isn't the begining of the end of AGD. This is a very sad day indeed. :cry:

Thanks again for all the quality products Tom,
Zack

ramenjames
12-08-2004, 09:03 PM
wow....im sad....my fav. founding father of PB is gone

Tom good luck with whatever biusiness ventures you get rolled up in...hell with life in general

10 years from now come back and design another revolutionary gun...kinda like you did with the .68 automag

TK you will be deeply missed...i will make sure to gog some punks dissing mags in your name

atm743
12-08-2004, 09:11 PM
whos runny ao then ????

hAppy
12-08-2004, 09:13 PM
Tom, good luck!
I would like to take this time to say thank you for my Xmag, I LOVE it. :cry:

Take care, I will never forget you :headbang:

Eagle
12-08-2004, 09:15 PM
damn, is it just me or is the entire old guard getting out? Tippmann, Orr, now TK.

So tell us Tom, what are your plans for employment if I may ask?

AutomagRT1483
12-08-2004, 09:17 PM
Thank You Tom for making my paintball experience worth every single penny! Im not one for much words, but I am sad to see you go. But I do understand your reasonings. Again Thank You for everything that you have done.

Till we meet again,

AutomagRT1483

Lohman446
12-08-2004, 09:18 PM
Tom... thank you for your honest attempt to improve the sport in your time here - you may with pride call it a success.

In regards to AO - there is some discussion of what ti takes to run AO on a monthly basis. Would it be possible for you to PM this information for discussion, I am very interested in keeping it going.

amoeba
12-08-2004, 09:19 PM
take care mang

Mr. Mouse
2004: the year paintball has its ackward downturn and things to happen that you would never expect, you'll be missed tom :(

mcdkid
12/8/04 saddest day in PB

i don't have much to say, but i hope AGD will still be around and keep amazing us.
and i honestly thought that tom would never stop/quit. but i hope he has fun with what ever he does.

and good luck woth getting that box out of the company (the one just the right size for an x-mag and a sydarm). lol

Garwin
12-08-2004, 09:21 PM
The Titans are gone. Long live the Titans!

With the recent acquisition of Worr Games Product by K2, Bud Orr is slowly but surely easing into retirement from the game. With Tom’s announcement, the Paintball Community has lost its last Titan.

Many of the younger players now will probably not remember who these two men were and what it was that they did for the sport. Many of us are too busy tweedling with our guns trying to make them bounce and make them perform in ways that a lot of people use to say only a few years back to be impossible.

Glenn Palmer, Colin T. (Lapco) and a few others also has been around as long as these two gentlemen. They are Titans and has helped push the industry in the old times.

BTW, K2 decided to hold onto the cool 10 mil from Orr because of intellectual rights to the autococking "patent". You know who owns that "patent". K2 just gave Orr enough money to pay off his debts. That's all the juicy news I'll give for today.

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
12-08-2004, 09:23 PM
o he'll be fine, he's gonna have fun in the great outdoors hunting for dinosaur bones or lookin at the stars

Enos Shenk
12-08-2004, 09:24 PM
As far as im concerned the last "industry leader" that i can honestly respect is gone. And thats a damned shame.

Good luck with whatever fate takes you to Tom.

AdmiralSenn
12-08-2004, 09:31 PM
I know I never post on here, but this is too significant to miss.

I've never had a mag, never even held one, but I have done a bit of reading on some of the stuff you've put into the industry, Tom. (I bet you don't remember, you answered a question about patents for me a few months back).

From everything I've seen, you've been one of the very few likable human beings in the industry. Tippmann is great, I love them, but it's a company. Tom Kaye = AGD in a lot of people's minds.

As everyone's said, this is the end of an era. I sincerely hope this doesn't mark a change in the way AGD is run, or the quality of its innovations and markers. I still want one.

Tom, you will be missed by so many people.. I don't think even you really know how many people respect you.

This is just saddening.

Good luck, Tom Kaye. Guess this is goodbye.

rkjunior303
12-08-2004, 09:32 PM
WOW...

First time on AO all day and I get blindsided by this... Talk about a SHOCK..

Anyways, TK... Good luck in your future endeavors (digging, I presume) to you. The industry has certainly lost a great force. They say that, "all good things must come to an end," and I suppose that is correct. Here's to you and all that you have done for this industry. My first marker was a mag and I will always remember the joy it gave me.

Good luck! :cheers:

thecavemankevin
12-08-2004, 09:34 PM
wow, didn't really see that comming.

glad i had a chance to meet you when i did.

good luck to you and the new president

Gambit1106
12-08-2004, 09:36 PM
Good luck Tom, I hope things go well for you. Mabey one of these days the AO IL guys can take you out for a nice retirement dinner.

Darren

White_Noise
12-08-2004, 09:46 PM
wow, i cant say i didnt think this would happen sometime...but it still is shocking.

tom,

have fun with whatever you decide to do now. i unfortunatley haven't gotten the chance to meet you yet, so i do hope that you will be at the next shatnerball, cause im planning on attending it. im sure that we will be in good hands with dave zupan, and i now look forward to trying to meet him as well. you will always be remembered as someone who made great revolutions in the sport, but sometimes life just needs some changes. i do hope that you can find some time to come back to the AO and paintball for appearances every once in awhile as im sure we'll all want to hear how youre doing.

god speed and good luck,

michael powell
aka mag/cocker lover

wiffle32
12-08-2004, 09:47 PM
Semper Fidelis

deadbox101
12-08-2004, 09:51 PM
Im no veteran paintball player and I havent met TK. Still, I would like to thank Tom for giving me a unique gun, something i can be proud of when i rip with it on the field.

I plan on taking my mag to as high as I can possibly get even to the pros if I can manage it. LONG LIVE THE KING

IronCore
12-08-2004, 09:51 PM
Farewell to the King of our Clan
Where shall our brothers go
For we have each lost Da Man

soccer4minimags
12-08-2004, 09:52 PM
So I guess this means we can't count on any new developments for mags coming out. :rolleyes:

ghost271
12-08-2004, 09:54 PM
Mr.Kaye,

I would like to thank you for the awesome innovations that you have brought to this sport and its players. From the start it seemed you were always thinking out of the box and coming out with things to make paintball an even more enjoyable experiance. I must say that I feel with the advent of electronic markers, the industry has taken a turn for the greedy out there (SP). Your markers trully ruled the roost when mechanical semi-autos were the 'rage'. I had the pleasure of being the only 'mag owner at my field when everyone else shot cockers, and was the only one out of us all that had no problems with his marker. That alone made me love AGD.

You went above and beyond for this sport Mr.Kaye, and more importantly; you did it for the players.

Thanks Again and God Bless You and your Family.

Joel Gray
:hail:

FaSSt
12-08-2004, 09:55 PM
Your innovations have made a significant difference to the game we all love. You have positively impacted the lives of many people, some of whom you have never met and never will.

Best of luck in your new life. A quote from Winston Churchill springs to mind:

"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

Alpha
12-08-2004, 10:01 PM
Mag owner for 2 weeks. Those two weeks of dealign with my automag and AGD customer support has made me an AGD customer for life. So simple.. So sleak.. So nice...

Your innovations will not be forgotten. You've done more then your share of contributions of the sport. I thank you personally for this beautiful marker sitting on my lap right now. Semper Fi. I'll never forget you.

mobius
12-08-2004, 10:03 PM
What the...Wow...Crap...I dunno what to say. Tom, you will be forever upheld in the minds of many. What always made you and your company so great is that you care about the opinions of the people using your products. You will not be forgotten.

Siress
12-08-2004, 10:05 PM
*dusts off AO account

Just want you to know that we, the people in my region of the paintballing world, appreciate your engineering developments in the sport. Thanks, and good luck. ;)

EDIT: I'm not the Southern Comfort guy that shot you in the back at the Risk It All game by the way. I wasn't even there, so please don't chastise me.

tipp-ed off
12-08-2004, 10:09 PM
Good luck Tom...and thank you.

phantomhitman
12-08-2004, 10:11 PM
hmmm....if it wasnt for fireblades post i wouldnt have known. i would first like to thank you first EVERYTHING that you contributed to the sport, second thanks for letting me part of the ao groupies at the toys for tots event in Georgia :clap:

i almost feel out of my chair seeing this, but I knew it was coming. They way you talked in thread as well as in Georgia tipped me off. Good luck in everything you do, appreciate how you helped me.
Joe

yonu
12-08-2004, 10:12 PM
Tom,

Though I never got to meet you in person this comes a a big shock as well as many others here have said

I hate to see you go but hopefully you will find a field that you are entusiastic about and hopefully you will still beable to get out to the fields and play

pump
12-08-2004, 10:28 PM
miss ya dont be a stranger in here

somebody better archive the important threads

bofh
12-08-2004, 10:34 PM
Since I don't see a lot of questions in the thread...

So, TK... Why are you calling it quits? Did it stop being fun? Is there an incident that triggered it?

You think you'll be doing something else? Moving to a different industry? Do something completely different? Stare at the sky? Dig up bones? Find a way to support those industries?

Need a jack of all trades computer guy? :)

RamboPreacher
12-08-2004, 10:38 PM
Good luck. My prayers are happening for you and your family.

68magOwner
12-08-2004, 10:39 PM
:tard: :cry:

well, have fun with whatever you decide to do, your still a baller at heart :cheers: :hail:

bunkerhugger
12-08-2004, 10:44 PM
Mr. Kaye,
I first spoke with you back in 1991 when I was trying to get ahold of an automag. I finally begged two out of you and one of those is still the main gun of a man who has grown to become one of my best friends, much as the technology of your company has. In the nearly 14 years since I started using your products I've passed up many a chance to attend an event you were at, and now I find I regret it. Please attend the next Shatnerball so I can fly out and shake your hand one time before you go.

Thank you,
Ben Ramirez
Proud owner of CF00533 (Level 5)
Proud owner of XT00014 (X-mag)
Proud member of Southwest Voodoo

frop
12-08-2004, 10:48 PM
Good luck & be sure to come back & visit!

THREE CHEERS FOR TK!
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

warbeak2099
12-08-2004, 10:48 PM
I... uh... I can't find the words. I guess, good luck sir. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to own something which is at such a high level of quality. Maybe AGD isn't in great fiscal shape, but a man and an organization who has touched and influenced as many people as you and your company have is most definately a profound success in my book. You will always be a part of paintball...

CRySyS
12-08-2004, 10:49 PM
I really hate to see you go, truely a titan as has already been pointed out.

So will it be pretty much business as usual at AGD? Specificly will everyone still have a job? I cannot stress enough how awesome the people you have there are, especially Marcia. She went leagues above her calling to help me out with a stupid credit card and I only have a Sydarm right now because of her. Everyone else there that I have ever delt with have been as great. These people care about what they are doing as much as you do Tom. I hope Dave shares that same quality; in fact I must assume it since he was your VP.

Also, will you keep everyone here posted about your new venture? I'd love to see what happens when you manage to combine a telescope and T-rex thigh bone! ;)

Hell, will you still at least visit the board? I remember when this place was just a little owners group with a background image ripped off a porn site. And I remember when it disappeared for a while and another owners group had to be built to hold us all over. And then AO was resurected by none other than the very company whose product it was created to discuss. That was a fresh move for a manufacturer and a good one by the looks of this place. I'd hate to see that fade away now, it's much too soon.

Aww, crap. I just checked to make sure and it isn't April 1st. I think it's starting to sink in now. I'll be wearing black tommorow. Good luck Tom, and know that you won't be forgotten by anyone if I have anything to do about it.

SSMercury
12-08-2004, 10:52 PM
Wow, I was the third person to view this thread 4 hours ago when it started, there weren't any replies, now it's all blown up to 4 pages.

Still can't think of anything to say.

Tom, you and AGD have been an awesome company, have always approached things from a logical perspective, and have had a good and honorable reputation, both as a company and a person. I hope Dave can fill your shoes as a replacement.

Your approach to paintball innovation has been nothing short of spectacular, and I regret never making a serious attempt at meeting you. Your methods of designing paintball gear echoes what I look for, quality, dependability, and simplicity of design.

soaklord
12-08-2004, 10:55 PM
For all you have done for the industry. You have brought engineering to an industry that is based on hype. You are an inventor and an innovator, I hope your new aspirations make good use of these skills. Also, thank you for bringing me out of the hype and forcing me to use the scientific method when thinking about my purchases and pursuit of equipment. You saved me quite a few dollars and embarrassing moments. One of my favorite quotes (Pardon me if I paraphrase) "You finally get it to work and they ask for it in a different color." Please don't fade into obscurity, at least enjoy the passion you help raise from infancy from time to time. While I don't have any right to demand anything from you, don't abandon the child you helped to bring into the world. While it is going through some very difficult teen years right now, when it does finally mature, you need to be there for the acknowledgement of wisdom and love. You will be sorely missed. Your sanity was always refreshing. May you impact your next passion as heavily as you did this one and not lose sight of another quote you gave (Don't pursue paintball because it is paintball, pursue something because you love doing it.)

AGDlover
12-08-2004, 11:01 PM
Dear Tom ,
You have created many MAGnificent paintball markers over the years. You have brought out some of the best markers in our lifetime and we thank you for that. We are sad to see you move on , but also happy for you and hope you enjoy what ever you deside to do from here on out. Tom , we will always miss you and when we are playing paintball with our automags we will think of only one name.....Tom Kaye

Team Magfiea

http://www.freewebs.com/teammagfiea

Trina
12-08-2004, 11:04 PM
Tom, I will never forget you.

It all started with Doobie shortly after we got married in 1992:

"Tom Kaye, AGD, Mags, Paintball, Tom Kaye, AGD, Mags...Tom, Tom, Tom...."

I will NEVER forget your name Tom!! This is all I heard when I knew nothing of the sport...None of it made sense and none of it mattered.

Until...I picked up my first marker in 1998 on Doobie's Birthday...I was hooked.

When I first met you I still knew little of you, but as I got to know you, Tom, I grew to admire you. Not only are you a legend in paintball with all your contributions to our great sport, but you are one of the most facinating, most intelligent people I've ever met. I've loved hanging out with you and hearing your stories, your views on paintball, H2's, Dinosaurs, the war, etc... All extremely amazing. I probably speak for most people here on AO...

Tom, you are my hero!!

You are what paintball is all about. I'm glad you hung around as long as you did, so that I had a chance to get to know you. Thank you for everything Tom, and good luck in the future.

Your friend always,

Trina

Torch
12-08-2004, 11:07 PM
Thanks Tom for everything. Good luck.

Torch

camilion705
12-08-2004, 11:09 PM
I am deeply saddened by this surprising and sudden news. Tom, your contributions to paintball will always be remembered. We all thank you so much for everything that you have done for paintball. I wish you a prosperous and happy retirement.

Now I am on a mission to purchase a Classic Automag...

Banshee23
12-08-2004, 11:11 PM
Thanks so much for everything you've done TK. Paintball & all of us owe you our gratitude :hail: Good luck with whatever you choose to do in the future. :) :cheers:

Recon by Fire
12-08-2004, 11:20 PM
That's it, the end times have arrived!

Tom, you could always start a cable show: "The Dinosaur Hunter".

Take care :)

JoshK
12-08-2004, 11:22 PM
You continue to expect that things will be the same but in reality the old days of paintball are gone forever. The general paintball public hasn't put it all together yet. They dont understand that AKA is done making guns forever. That Odessey who brought you the best loader ever is now hovering at bankruptcy. WGP just gave up the whole upper end marrket in favor of a spider clone. Glen Palmer is going to retire to another country. Tippmann is now controlled by the functional equivalent of a superpower and the best Bob Long can do is come out with a new look every month.

How could odessey being going under...dont they make halos? Halos are one of the most popular hoppers...and they came out with a marker too. This stuff confuzes me.

ForSaken
12-08-2004, 11:25 PM
Tom,

I had a chance to meet you about 2 years ago at a PSP Press Conference in Chicago. My partner and I had dinner with you and Bob Mcguire.

It was a great honor to be able to spend time with you after the press conference, you open the doors to your office and gave us the grand tour into AGD as well as your personal hobbies.

It is sad to see someone that has invested so much of his time and efforts into creating the foundation of our great sport.

I wish you and your family all the best in your new ventures.

Tom you said in your post "I am proud to have contributed in my small way. "

I just have to say your contributions are no means small, Only you and some close people to your self truly know all the items that you have had your hands on for the beginning developments for other companies.

You truly have done Paintball a great job!

Take care,

Jason Robertson
President
Paintball Wilderness Inc.

can'tthink of1
12-08-2004, 11:29 PM
You may think you have only touched the mag crowd, but...

Never in my paintballing experience have I owned/shot/held a mag. Nevertheless, I owe you just as much as any other paintballer out there.

I have a relative, Steve Peirson, who lives in Chicago, a motorcycle guy, that said he knows you, and that something of AGD is 10 min away from his house. I was hoping to visit you when I visit Chicago the next time, but I may never get to meet you.

I owe you so much, and I cannot ever repay you for what you have done for the sport.

I bow before you. :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

Caffiend
12-08-2004, 11:30 PM
Mr. Kaye,
I'm sorry to hear you're retiring, but like most people, I understand. I'm very relieved to hear you'll be attending more Shatnerball events. I had planned on attending this year's only to find out I would be deployed while it was being held. I have my mind set on attending next year's so I can shake your hand and thank you for all you've done for the sport. And I'll try not to let Ben (Bunkerhugger) bug you too much :)

Jared Steffen

kevdupuis
12-08-2004, 11:31 PM
It's hard to think of what to say except good luck on your endeavors.
It was a pleasure for Deb and I to meet you and wish you every success.

Won Hunglo
12-08-2004, 11:41 PM
Tom,

Thanks for all you have done for me & the industry. I started playing in the early 90's & remember spending $600 on my first gun ever, a new Power Feed Automag with a 18V Shredder on top. That gun kept me hooked on paintball for many years. That gun is long gone and I moved on to Angels but I still visit here everyday. Something about your first Mag you never forget. The contributions you have done to the industry can't be measured. Good luck with your next venture.

ViperScenarios
12-08-2004, 11:41 PM
I just heard the news. I am truly saddened by the news of your retirement. You introduced an incredible and unique gun design to the players, and have been an excellent example of what a "paintball industry person" should be. Know that you have a case of paint (or two) and admission for you and a friend waiting for you at any and every event I do. This offer doesn't expire until you do. ;)

Thank you, Tom, for all you've done for me, and for the sport we both love. I've enjoyed all the times we've spent talking, and I'm still pimping the he|| out of Tac One Automag #2 (or is mine #1 and TB's #2?)? :D

Anyway, keep in touch and take care.

AGD-OfficeGal
12-08-2004, 11:45 PM
I cannot stress enough how awesome the people you have there are, especially Marcia.

I'll be there. ;)

I wish Tom the very best as he goes off on his new tangent.

Hey, is there a law against posting the names of deadbeat customers on the internet? :rolleyes:

Marcia

Rocp15126
12-08-2004, 11:47 PM
Good luck! You will be greatly missed.

HoppysMag
12-08-2004, 11:47 PM
best luck in anything you go onto tom. you have been one of, if not the top name in the industry. you have brought the game many great inventions. dont be a stranger to the forum though!

nastymag
12-08-2004, 11:48 PM
wow tom , i didnt expect this.

well we all appreciate so much what you have done for us as a community.

as you can see all the heavy posters have shown how much they will miss you.

Best of Wishes

Silvestre Da Costa

Blennidae
12-08-2004, 11:58 PM
Back when I started playing the top two choices were either a Mag or a Cocker. I went with a Mag because I thought the design was better. I still feel that way. I played for awhile then took a break as many of us have. I started to get back into it in 2001 and found my way to AO. It was great to hear AGD was still out there.

I started to upgrade my MiniMag with some of the new options AGD was making. Tom decided to hold one of his famous “pop parties” and I rushed home from work to see what it was all about. I was lucky enough to win the Emag given away. I could hardly believe it. I was a new member and the PRESIDENT of the company I had known for years gives me their top of the line gun in a random drawing.

I really enjoy the community that is AO, and am always amazed that Tom has time to answer peoples questions. It has a coolness factor that is hard to explain. It really makes the customer feel like they are not just a number, but a person.

I was lucky enough to meet Tom at the big NorCal/SoCal AO day last January. When Tom walked into the hotel and everyone was introducing themselves, I was again shocked when Tom actually remembered my screen name and commented on how long I had been on AO.

Those two events will always stand out in my mind. I’ll never sell the Emag I won. I have upgraded it over the years, but I’ll always keep it.

Tom, you have always been and always will be a class act. You are too modest if you think a whole generation of paintballers will forget you. I know I speak for more than myself when I say I’ll never forget what you have done for the game.

Good luck in whatever life has in store for your future. I can never thank you enough for the enjoyment the things you have done for the paintball community has brought to my life.

Rick “Blennidae” Salazar

Tunaman
12-09-2004, 12:02 AM
Tom,
Even though I knew about this a while back, I am all busted up reading these posts from all these guys who love the same thing as I do...AGD. You have taught me almost everything I know about mags, and no one could have ever done a better job. I just want to thank you for everything you and your company has done for me. No other company has ever given me what AGD has given me. I will devote the rest of my paintball career to the AutoMag. It shall never die as long as I am alive to keep it going. Tell Dave to hold the fort, as he very well knows already that we are behind him 100%. Anything he needs just let me know. Let the good times roll now, and best of luck in all you do from here on in. Lots of love and best wishes from all of us here. Long live AGD!
Oh...now you have time to go Tuna Fishing so dont give me any crap. Mark the calendar for late august 2005. Talk to you soon.

lather
12-09-2004, 12:07 AM
Tom, you have my utmost respect and gratitude. I wish you nothing but happiness and sucess in your future endeavors! :)

mrhooie
12-09-2004, 12:08 AM
Tom, thanks for the innovations that you've brought to Paintball. Thanks for the quality products that you and your company have designed over the years.

I hope that retirement treats you well and I know I speak for more than just myself when I say, "thanks for being you".

You've made the past 7 years fun for me :)
Hughie
Splat Entertainment
Yellowknife, NT Canada

jctam
12-09-2004, 12:15 AM
:( :cry: later Tom. Thanks for the Mags and the awsome company you built.

blackclown
12-09-2004, 12:17 AM
:cry: :cry: good luck on the fossil digging and telescope making...... :cry: :cry:

Thordic
12-09-2004, 12:18 AM
Tom, I wish I could say this is a huge surprise, but its not. I remember having a conversation with you in the bar at IAO, and it just left me with a feeling. I can't say I expected this, but it isn't all that surprising.

Over the years, you've been a lot of things to the paintball industry. An innovater, a player, and advice-giver, a gun-maker, a proof-seeker, and most importantly, a friend to a lot of people. You may think you'll be forgotten in a year, but I doubt thats possible. You've had too big an impact upon this sport that even in its changing / decaying form, you're name will still be heard and recognized for years to come.

There's a few things about you that stand out to anyone who meets you.

First is your approachability. At every event I've seen you at, you take time out to talk to those who want to talk. Whether its just for a quick hello, or eating donuts and gossiping, or hosting tech classes out for free on your own time, I've never seen you turn anyone away or tell them you were too busy. Tons of industries leaders don't make themselves approachable to their customers and fans, your friendliness has always made you stand out amongst your peers.

Another thing is your enthusiasm for the sport. I don't think I've met many people who I can honestly say are as in love with paintball as you are. I've seen you up late at night plotting how to best destroy Shatner, seen you getting excited over new breakthroughs in technology, and I've unfortunately seen you deeply hurt about the direction the sport is heading in.

You've invented technology that has changed the face of paintball, but I think perhaps your greatest contribution may have been your involvement in acquiring and promoting AO. Building a business is an accomplishment, but one lots of people are capable of. Building a community that has grown in so many ways is amazing.

AOers are more than just people who talk on the internet. A lot of us have formed tight and meaningful friendships with people who live halfway across the country, or sometimes halfway across the globe. And you've played a part in that. In a lot of ways, you're the father to the AO community. I can't even count the number of kids I see on AO who look up to you almost as a second father. I know right now you are probably feeling kind of low, but just try to think about the positive effect you have had on so many people. You've become a part of peoples lives. And thats something no one will forget.

I truly hope that while you and AGD may have parted ways, you can still find time to stay in contact with all those on AO who still consider you a friend and a role-model. I know at times through the years we've put you through hell, but we're still here for you and I hope that doesn't change.

The community you've begun won't die, it won't fade away or be forgotten. AO is your legacy, and in my opinion, thats something to be truly proud of. When you think about whats been done on this website, its awe-inspiring.

I wish you luck in all your future endeavors, I'm sure with your intelligence and enthusiam you'll be able to accomplish whatever it is you set your mind to.

Sincerely,

Brian "Thordic" Casani

PissedGodzilla
12-09-2004, 12:19 AM
wow.... I wish I had the chance to meet you and pick your brain like I always hoped I would... I know I am fairly new to the sport, but I know when a class act is a class act.
Thank you for beginning this journey that all of us now enjoy walking on....

P.S. if you ever need a hand I would love to join you on a bone hunt.. lol I think alot of us would.

Good luck to you, and know that all the hard work you have done is apreciated by many.

Eric Of Extreme Measures
12-09-2004, 12:20 AM
Well who am I going to bother now? Whats the new guys e-mail address?
Hope it wasnt me that drove you Crazy?

Hey you are the only KING that would climb off the thrown to meet the people and fight right with us. it has been an honor to have known you and I will never forget what you have done for this industry. We all know you have to do what you have to in life, you are # 1 and you have to look out for #1. thanks for looking out for all of us all these years.

I will still stalk you at the Shatner events though!!!!

Where's my signed rail TOM?
I could start a museum of signed Tom Kaye stuff in my Rec Room, $3 bucks at the door!

Eric
You are the Man and always will be the MAN!

minimagjim
12-09-2004, 12:24 AM
Words escape me on how I feel at this moment. Its a sad truth that paintball is not how it was before. I have only played since 2000 and I have seen changes I dont like. I can just imagine how it feels to be at the beginning and see how it is now. What is sad to see though is that Tom Kaye was the last cowboy. And I believe that he did not lose that fight. He did not give in, he merely left. This is a truely sad day, but AGD is still here.

WE STILL HAVE OUR .68'S, MINIMAGS, RT'S, EMAGS, AND XMAGS. :headbang:

NO ONE CAN TAKE THESE AWAY FROM US!!!

Carry on what you have been taught from this man. That we must look above hype or fads and seek what is real and what is true. I will not forget his contributions to the sport and neither should any of us. When someone says "whos Tom Kaye?" you tell them. When someone snubs your mag, you own them. This is how we dont lose. This is how we keep the legacy alive.

Tom, I have only met you on a few occasions and all of them were a great honor. The first time I met you was the weekend after the 1st Shatnerball at Bad Boyz Toyz in Lansing, IL. I was walking to my car and I noticed you, and could not believe it. But when I was snooping about you asked me to come on over and hang with a few others. We got donuts from your truck and sat around talking about what happend at shatnerball and I got to see the Shanter Xmag in person, and got to hold an Xmag before any of my friends even knew what it was. That day will be with me as long as I live. Meeting a legend and eating donuts with him.

Good luck with whatever path you choose. You shall be missed.

My friends and I both were priveledged to play along side you at Shatnerball 3 and at the AO-IL day at CCP. And in the future we would be honored to play at your side whenever that may be.

Thank you for everything you have done for us and the paintball community.

Os_Gardi
12-09-2004, 12:33 AM
Well, I know I'm not exatcly a regular here but its still disheartening to see first generation pioneers fade away. I wish the best for you, your family, and AGD.

wispaintstyle
12-09-2004, 12:36 AM
:cry: The Paintball world will miss you. Here's to Teknut's new life :cheers:

Now the old gaurd have all gone west. I feel almost as if middle earth has faded a little.

rifleman wi
12-09-2004, 12:39 AM
sad to see you go.. but atleast i got to meet you and play alongside you at the big game at PB sams in october... that was alot of fun.... good luck on whatever you persue..... :)

dj89
12-09-2004, 12:50 AM
My friend got me in to paint ball about 3 years ago. I got a Piranha for my first gun, I had my fun with it. Than I wanted to move up in the paint ball world and got a Green rat impulse. It was nice. But I wanted some thing different. My cousin [zeke1975 here on AO] Got a retro Minimag I loved it so much just the looks and how it shot. So the search was on I register here on AO and found a Minimag with x valve and I frame, I bought it. I like it but than the chance for a Emag came up so I bought that. I was selling' it so I could get a new Emag from Tunaman or an Xmag. I sold it . Than I saw that openboater had his Xmag for sale. I made an offer he took it so I had my Xmag. That was it I loved it, so Later on I got my 2nd Xmag. Tom you have done many things for the sport of paint ball. I hope Dave will try and do the same.

OmniM and I have worked and we came up with the Xmag User List (http://omnim.tungt.net/Paintball/X_Mag/x_index.htm)
We dedicate this list to you Tom.

Thanks for all that you have done
DJ"dj89'West
XT00021
XT00273
RT00437

Arson51
12-09-2004, 12:52 AM
For a while i really resented you Tom. I hated you for not improving the mag, not apealling to the public, for not fitting in. I met you last D-day but you didnt come in gloriously in a huge semi truck with tents and displays, i resented you more for it, for not fitting the role you deserved.

Now i cannot hate you, I can only think of praises for your genious, insight, and modesty. Aslong as i can still hold my Emag, you will not be forgotten. It was an honor to meet a founder of the sport even though at the time i didnt know it. Thank you for all that you have done.

Long live the Tom!
Long live AGD!
Long live the MAG!

hardr0ck68
12-09-2004, 12:56 AM
this is an uber sad day....im really bummed, i dont have anything fancy to say execpt i have nexer shot anything "high end" execpt for a mag and i have no desire to ever. Not because of anything about the marker, but because of the man behind it...i was sad to see that mags dident thrive in the new world of paintball, and still am. Paintball has forgotten its past, and with the situation as it is now i dont see much of a futhure that i want to be a part of.

Bye tom, i hope to see you again sometime, to me you are all that was decent in paintball.

Boski51
12-09-2004, 01:13 AM
Tom;

I don't know you and we have never met, but I am one of your newest customers. I purchased my Rogue built mag and an very happy with this marker. I wish I could have joined the family alot sooner, but I joined PB later than most (38). I too am a businesman and understand all too well the whole bottom line thing. But please take this from a fellow businesman and PB'r.....You have impacted greatly the market you were in. You created what is now a cult of Mag users. You have in your way affected something much larger than you-and you did it very well!

Thank you for doing all the crap that we'll never know about, the long hours and the sacrafices you have made for what you have created and we take for granted. Good luck and God's speed in your new direction.

Boski

Dayspring
12-09-2004, 01:18 AM
I never thought I would see the day... :cry:

Good luck in all your endeavors Tom. In the few times that I've met you, you've always had an enthusiasm for one thing- paintball. I certainly hope that you don't lose this.

If you ever make it to NJ/NY, let us know. There are TONS of AO guys who would treat you like a king!

Best wishes & warmest regards-

Nick "Dayspring" Papandria

To Tom Kaye-
:hail:

SebastianBlack
12-09-2004, 01:20 AM
I'm not a regular poster here but I've always been a fan of your work.
There is no way as long as paintball is around that people will forget you or the other founders of the game. Things you did have changed the very face of the game and have sent it in directions noone has ever thought of. One of the first times I ever saw someone dressed in obnoxiously colored outfits ready to get on a field, the person was holding a mag. Every step in paintball was helped by you and the industry and players as a whole are being dealt a great loss with you leaving. Good luck and rest assured if you ever continue down this road there are many people that will be happy to see you back.

Enemy
12-09-2004, 01:22 AM
wow this has got to be the worst paintball related day i have ever had!!! and i do mean ever..first the field i work at is getting the boot cuz of some enviromentalists and now we lose the most influental person in paintball.. it blows the mind!!! please do as my granddad and take on civilan work for agd we cant lose your knowlegde!!! but ofcoarse good luck with anything that you choose to do and i hope to finally meet you at shatnerball thanks for everything.. :headbang: closest thing to a deserved solute!!!!

GhillieGuy
12-09-2004, 01:28 AM
Good luck Tom, I really hope that everything goes well with you and your life. Me and my father have owned AGD guns for years now aqnd will continue doing it.
Peace out
-tyler

FooTemps
12-09-2004, 01:34 AM
bye tom! have fun diggin those dinos!

always remember the foo that inspired you to try out the megameet!

12-09-2004, 02:10 AM
Dear Tom,
I have only been in paintball for a little less than a year, and i just have to say that I am sadend by this news. I have read everything you have wrote, wacthed all your videos on this website, and fell in love with your products. You are a standard in which is rarely met in the business world. To my knowledge you have never "sold out", and i respect that. As so many companies have just tried to make money; you have truely cared about the sport and your products. In this day of sorrow I tip my hat to you.

Yours Truely,
Drew

11_Mile_TMaster
12-09-2004, 02:30 AM
Tom,

I've only had a mag for a bit over a year and a half, now, but from the time I first saw my friend's RT Pro for the first time, I was amazed at the quality of it, having only seen spyders before then. Even now, I can look at both my Classic valve and X-valved Mags and be amazed that indeed, Quality always shoots straight. I want to thank you for never sacrificing that quality.

I want to thank you for my warp feed, which although I don't use it much, it can give me that edge when I use it properly.
I want to thank you for pushing for the use of Nitrogen, despite everyone making unfounded, paranoid claims.

In short, I want to thank you for everything you've done over the years, even when some others did not think it 'profitable.'(My words.) You truly gave the sport a great gift that it can never repay you for, and although many of us on AO know it, I think there is a large group of people who don't.

In short... Thanks for everything you've given paintball.

Tyger
12-09-2004, 02:54 AM
Dang.

What's to say that hasn't been said. Other than two things.

Everyone, Tom's not dead. He's just getting out of paintball's limelight. I'd like to see him at a few of the local events, but I'm not going to be shocked if he doesn't. Either way, he's still around. Just not in the 'biz as it is. And I can respect someone who knows when to call it.

Second, to Tom Kaye, thanks for the ride. Ups, downs, it's been one hell of a ride, and I thank you for it. May yours continue many more years.

-Tyger

Major Jam
12-09-2004, 02:58 AM
Wow!

Tom you're one of the original paintball fathers. I remember reading about you in black and white paintball magazines (papers) late 80's, early 90's.

You've always been on the cutting edge. Even with whats happening now in the industry.

I'm sad to see you retire, but best of luck with your new endeavors. All of our best wishes for your future.

Thank you!

LoveMyMagMoreThanYou
12-09-2004, 03:27 AM
I remember the first time I went to play paintball. One of my brothers-in-law couldn't go that day and I got to use his 'Mag! From that day forward I knew what I wanted. I had a Spyder and bought a second one. I then sold both and added some tax return money to buy the gun I use today. I worry that the company will continue. Where will we get quality replacement parts? One thing that a lot of people forget is that Tom wasn't the original CEO of AGD. In my ancient 'Mag maintenance video, Tom was only in charge of R&D.

The news of Tom's retirement shocked and bewildered me. But, as I think of the way that paintball has changed since '92, I don't blame him. You will be missed and if you ever come out to WA, email me and we will get together.

God Bless You, Tom!!

:cry: :hail: ;)

fire1811
12-09-2004, 03:45 AM
good luck Tom
dont be a stranger

Blazestorm
12-09-2004, 03:53 AM
Hey Tom, if you care to read this...

I lost your email a while back after a few reformats... I just wanted to say something to you...

Email is EkatheKilla@hotmail.com if you care... :)

mixwell2
12-09-2004, 03:55 AM
I still remember the first time I saw a pic. of Mr. Kaye...it was on that Level 7 video that came with my mag back in '92. I have had dealings with many markers and paintball companies since then and no marker worked better than my mag, and no company supported the "average joe" better than AGD

It did take me forever to discover the AO community but my love, support, and praise of AGD and their products has not and never will waiver.

I hope Mr. Kaye pulls a Bobby Fisher and after a couple years of seclusion reamerges with a reguvenated spirit and along with the AO army by his side takes back his thrown.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

autocockertrader
12-09-2004, 04:28 AM
I remember a time when automags and autocockers battled against each other ruthlessly. my first good gun was a 98 sto bran new and out of the box, i remember hateing mags and wanting to destroy them. then orr sold out to k2 and i was descraced. i sold my 2k3 vf last month and bought my first mag. i found out the first time i shot it what you guys where fighting for back in the old days...........
now with my mag in my hand i will fight to redem my self and bring down the cocker mwnace where ever he/she stands..... Tom, you will be missed, comming from an ex-cocker fanatic.

I will NOT forget.

CAT_101st
12-09-2004, 04:36 AM
:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

MAGS forever, cockers never,MAGS forever, cockers never,MAGS forever, cockers never,MAGS forever, cockers never,MAGS forever, cockers never,

Thanks for everything :headbang:

Koz
12-09-2004, 04:59 AM
Gee Tom,

I would personally like to thank you for all the inovations in this crazy pastime we do. I've believed in your innovation for a very long time...seeing the Panther prototype so very long ago and getting my Mag CF00393. I even have a left handed six pack.

I wish you success in whatever ventures you get into. I met you long ago at one of the Bay Ciity Open Tourneys here in the Bay Area....and you have always been one of the most approachable people in the industry.

Thanks for the innovations and the good times that they have brought us alll.

Michael "Koz" Quan

frop
12-09-2004, 05:09 AM
I remember a time when automags and autocockers battled against each other ruthlessly. my first good gun was a 98 sto bran new and out of the box, i remember hateing mags and wanting to destroy them. then orr sold out to k2 and i was descraced. i sold my 2k3 vf last month and bought my first mag. i found out the first time i shot it what you guys where fighting for back in the old days...........
now with my mag in my hand i will fight to redem my self and bring down the cocker mwnace where ever he/she stands..... Tom, you will be missed, comming from an ex-cocker fanatic.

I will NOT forget.

Welcome to AO, and the DARK SIDE! Muahahahahaha! :ninja:

Bolter
12-09-2004, 05:28 AM
Mr Kaye

Thankyou for allowing me and my team to play with the best product on the market. We will never forget you, and we wish you all the best in whatever you do.

Adam Bolter

Storm Uk

nirvana1234
12-09-2004, 05:55 AM
damn... good luck tom...

Lupis Fidelis
12-09-2004, 07:08 AM
Dear Mr Kaye,

It took me 14 years to play with an Automag. It is my opinion that your design is by far the best all around paintball marker in the world. You have fostered a dedicated and loving community that will always stand as a monument and tribute to your hard work, compassion and dedication. I have recentley been playing with an almost exclusively Automag team and would like to dedicate our last Big Game win "The Battle of the Bulge" at Outdoor Adventures on 12/05/04 to you and the rest of your staff. Thank you. The Airgun Design team are some of the best in the industry :clap: . Good luck in the future, and once again thank you so much. :cheers:

Battlewear
12-09-2004, 07:17 AM
Tom

Like so many others I am going to thank you.

I am going to thank you for the work you have done with in this community, this game this sport. The amount of work you have done in love of this can not be counted as I am sure MANY will attest.

What I think gets forgotten is the dreams that you have provided to each and every player out there.. Be it to play against you, to play with your product or what ever, you have provided so much to us that to count it all would take the of time the Earth has left.

I am old enough and been around long enough to remember the inital rivallry between AGD and Worr. I will admit that in the day I went to the dark side, but I am happy to say in the last year I found the light and have sold my cocker for a mag... I want to thank you as a person who returned me back to this sport. I had slipped away for some time but when looking at coming back there was only one marker I wanted in my gear bag, and that was the MAG.

I never got the chance to meet you Tom, I hope maybe one day I can buy you a drink but until that day, like all others - THANK YOU! Its all I have :) :cheers:

Jason Silver
Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta Canada

oldsoldier
12-09-2004, 07:34 AM
One other note; all of you that missed out on the oring talk...well, too bad. One thing I'll remember is that IAO, with you going round and round about those damned orings....

dynastyfan
12-09-2004, 07:39 AM
i would also like to say thank you for making a gun that i am proud to own. no other gun has ever made me happy to be using it except for the gun you made, so thank you tom and good luck.

rabidchihauhau
12-09-2004, 07:56 AM
Tom,

you said you were going to try to keep AO going by selling banner ads.

Please send your rates to steve@vengeancepaintballdistributors.com - if I can step up to the cost, I'd like to help get it going.

Tina
12-09-2004, 08:08 AM
We just got the news over at WilliamShatner.com. Wow. I'm speechless. But I'm very thankful you'll still be doing Celebrity Paintball...it wouldn't be the same without you...well...unless you hand us our butts again... ;)

Wheelman
12-09-2004, 08:27 AM
I saw this posted on a local board and the way it was worded I thought Tom had died :cry: ....from reading some of these post you would think he did. We all have a time when we have to do for ourselves and if that is what Tom needs to do then I support him 100%, but I am a little disapointed we won't get you to the next AONE event. Well enjoy your retirement and have fun, remember Midcoast Maine in the summer is great for vacationing (I might even buy you breakfast! :cheers: ) I know I don't have to say anything sappy like never forget us or something because I have a feeling you won't.

Have a beer and a Lap dance on me,
Steve "Wheelman" Lane

P.S. I can honestly say that the olny gun I have ever owned and am still kicking myself for selling is my Mag.

Thank You

madmolly
12-09-2004, 08:48 AM
I can't say anything that hasn't been already said. I really don't think I would be playing ball today if I did not have an automag in my hands in 92 and won the first tourney ever held in Brantwood WI at S&E Paintball. It will definately feel different when I pick up my old mag and give her a day out this sprind. Thanks for what you did man and

azzkikr
12-09-2004, 08:54 AM
:cry: that smily expreses my feelings exactly. tom i can understand and respect your wishes in your decission. however i'm incredibly sadden to see you leave the great sport of paintball. like lots of people have mentioned, your contributions to the sport are priceless and paintball just wouldn't be where it is without them. i really hope to catch you somewhere just to have a little talk.

i really hope you can make it again to our little town here in dalton ga, even if just to hang out.

best of wishes in anything and everything that may come your way.

AZZKIKR

Federico Nietzsche

wyn1370
12-09-2004, 09:13 AM
Much as others have said, I'm not surprised by this. Sad yes, but not surprised. Tom has way too much character and heart to stay in an industry full of corruption and politics.

On a different note, I can see in the near future things going two ways. If we don't stand strong and carry on the tradition that Tom has built here on AO, things are going to continue to get worse around here. If not, AO will become simply another PBN.

I’m so sick of listening to all the complaining about how bad things have become and about how great things where back in AO’s glory days. There is a very strong core group of people that have become practically family. And to us, this is much like a death in the family. So what does a family have to do when there is a death, you pull together and carry on.

Creative Mayhem
12-09-2004, 09:19 AM
I too would like to add my HOLY :cuss: !

Tom you are, and always will be THE MAN! It's been a great honor to know you, use your products/innovations, and play along side you. You will be missed no matter what you think.

I hope you plan on making a trip to Canada for the first true AO Canada meet in Sept 05!!!

I fthis hasn't been said, let me be the first to say it, WELCOME TO DAVE ZUPAN!! I'm looking forward to dealing with you in the future. BTW Hows the leg ;) I could post pics, but I don't think people need to see pics of you with your pants down this early in your ownership :wow: :tard:

luke
12-09-2004, 09:22 AM
Paintball is truly loosing a man of vision.

It's more than a little disheartening to hear this, although not a huge surprise. I can't even imagine the things our community will NEVER see with you retiring.

Where do WE go now..... :(

Good luck..

Maybe you could sub-contract for R&D.... :clap: ;)

dzaide
12-09-2004, 10:03 AM
you will be missed indeed...

Mastema
12-09-2004, 10:44 AM

'nough said!

MiniSpdRcr
12-09-2004, 10:51 AM
Paintball will never be the same without you.

:cheers: To Tom Kaye a true pioneer in paintball with a vision no one else had. :cheers:

You will be missed and good luck in the new business ventures.

Marcin Pawelski

P.S. Please show up at Oklahoma D-Day :)

SixRomeo
12-09-2004, 10:54 AM
Mr. Kaye,<br /><br />Thank you for showing this industry what innovation means. Your markers are individual works of what can only be described as genius. The AGD Automag is, and will remain, the weapon of choice for the truly discriminating player.<br /><br />Take care, and enjoy a well-deserved break.

AGD-BossLady
12-09-2004, 10:57 AM
I wanted to let all of you know that I will also be leaving Airgun Designs; my last day will be Friday, December 17. I began working for Tom in March 1991 so it's going to be strange not to come to work at Airgun anymore. But the time has come to move on ....

I want to thank all of you for your support of Tom and Airgun Designs. You're a great group of people. I hope that you will continue your support because the group of people who will continue to work here (Dave, Marcia, Jon, and Roman) are hard-working, talented people who care very much about the company, the products, and company service. It doesn't get any better than that!

Take care,

JoAnn

JLove
12-09-2004, 11:04 AM
Tom,

You are one of my favorite customers and people in the paintball industry. I have always respected your design genius, your friendly nature, and your openness. Between the rocketry, manufacturing, dinosaur bones hunting, assembly-line engineering, telescope robotics, etc... I am sure there will always be things that you can do to challenge yourself, have fun, create community, and be prosperous. You are a true renaissance man.

Today's paintball industry is but a shadow the small close-knit cottage industry it once was. Google's CEOs have a saying: "don't be evil". I think that has always been AGD's mantra as well, as there are definitely some evil companies in this industry. Unfortunately, this industry has become another manufacturing industry that has moved operations overseas, and the larger conglomerates with in-house legal teams have legislated innovation out of the sport. Tom, you have always been a bit of fresh air in that regard, because you have not compromised your integrity. I solute you for that. I agree with your statement that players should vote with their wallets to improve the industry.

This news is less about AGD and much more about Tom Kaye, the man. I am sure you know that you will always have lifelong friends due to your efforts in this industry. That says less about your inventions, and more about you personally. It has been a pleasure to work with you on your web site, your web store, and your forums. I still remember the day we helped you launch AO and setup the servers, like it was yesterday. If I can ever do anything for you, I am a phone call away.

Best of Luck and Happy Holidays to you, and the whole AGD staff.

John McKown, President
Delaware.Net, Inc
(we host AO, the AGD store, and Airgun.com)

Mr.Peaches
12-09-2004, 11:06 AM
It looks like paintball has just lost another classy player.
Good luck.

Naby
12-09-2004, 11:09 AM
I'll just join the crowd saying Thank you Tom for everything you've done for paintball and paintballers. It's sad to see you leave. Good luck in your new projects!

MiniSpdRcr
12-09-2004, 11:12 AM
Good luck also JoAnn with where ever your life will take you next. :cheers:

Blazestorm
12-09-2004, 11:18 AM
I wanted to let all of you know that I will also be leaving Airgun Designs; my last day will be Friday, December 17. I began working for Tom in March 1991 so it's going to be strange not to come to work at Airgun anymore. But the time has come to move on ....

I want to thank all of you for your support of Tom and Airgun Designs. You're a great group of people. I hope that you will continue your support because the group of people who will continue to work here (Dave, Marcia, Jon, and Roman) are hard-working, talented people who care very much about the company, the products, and company service. It doesn't get any better than that!

Take care,

JoAnn

I called in once to check if my things ewre in-stock to order, they were and you were so nice about it, was all excited to be able to order my gun...

You may be leaving, but you will not have left.

sandreaver
12-09-2004, 11:26 AM
Tom,

I am relatively new to the sport, and was turned on to Automags by members of Southwest Voodoo and now shoot an x-mag. For the past 2 years I have been hearing stories from the likes of Crash from Bad Karma, and Preacher from Evil inc about you and AGD, and have to say that I am sorry to see you go.

Like Bunkerhugger and Caffiend, I am planning on attending this years Shatnerball. I hope that you will be there so that I may have the chance to meet one of the builders of a sport I have come to enjoy so much.

I wish you the best in your future, and hope that AGD will remain the foundation of paintball that it has been in the past.

Ed Adams

skipdogg
12-09-2004, 11:31 AM
wow, this makes me sick to my stomach. I dont even know what to say. As most others have said, it is Tom that brought them into or kept them in paintball. I started playing in 1989, and bought a mag in 1991. Shortly after I played along side Tom at a tournament scrimmage at Fox River Games again Swarm. during one of the games he told a teammate of mine to "hit his gun into a tree" because it was freezing up on him. That was during the game! it is one of the funniest/best/earliest memories of Tom. I have been loyal to AGD for what seems like all my life. They are the ONLY company i completely trust, not only for paintball, but anything! It is truely rare to have a quality, classy company like AGD to purchase products from. Tom has also single handedly changed many aspects of paintball and the game forever. He was and is an innovator and a class act. Tom, i wish you the best for you and your family. I have felt like I was part of it all these years and I thank you! Things just won't be the same without you. You are truly a great person that has touched many lives. Long live AGD and Tom's legacy.

Scott Seefeldt

Severe
12-09-2004, 11:37 AM
Best of luck Tom and thank you for making the marker that has served me well for years! I'm sure it, as well as AGD, will continue in that tradition.

FixMyAngel.Com
12-09-2004, 11:42 AM
Times are changing and the industry will surely suffer without Tom. I have known tom for many moon's and played along side him in several big games (he is the guy that taught me everything about the automag). I would like to thank you Tom and AGD for all the support in the past. Also, JoAnn will be missed, I have been working with her since she started with AGD. Good luck to both of you.

Robert Moon
CA Landsharks
Predator Paintball

Temo Vryce
12-09-2004, 12:05 PM
Tom, even though I have never had the chance to meet you I will miss your presence in the Paintball World. I'm sorry to see that you are leaving but I respect your choice and wish you the best in where ever life takes you.

BradAGD
12-09-2004, 12:24 PM
Tom told me about this over the weekend and I'm still in shock.

I joined up with AGD in '93 after taking their tech class for my old team, The Houston Heat. I must have impressed them enough to get to go to all the tournaments as a tech. 11 years later, I'm still going and call everyone at the factory my friends. Because of Tom and AGD, I'm met folks from all over the world, been to tons of cool places and done some amazing things. His inovations have brought the sport up to a point that it never would have been at without them. He is truely one of the good guys in the sport.

With the poor sales industry wide, I see more of this happening every day. Sad to say honestly.

Tom, good luck in everything you do. Enjoy life. Party like it's 1979 (where disco still rules). Find lots of bones. Fix your goose chaser ('cause I wanna see it). Have fun.

Good bye my friend!

ICOM
12-09-2004, 12:25 PM
:( Well tom think i might have met you once in my life but i guess i should of knew this was coming. AGD/AO has gotten me into paintball. I met so many people from this company and forum. It was fun and it will still be! Your still the President of agd in our hearts and hope to see ya at a big event throughout the years! goodluck to you tom!

markoger
12-09-2004, 12:47 PM
Well, i never saw this comining either. :wow: I am honored to have met, and played paintball next to you at Shatnerball. you have changed the way i play paintball(no more need for a barrel swab). And answering the question " a mech can shoot that fast?" You will be very missed. Almost our entire team uses Automags. and i personally own 5(including an X Mag). Good luck in whatever you are going to do. I hope you will still come to some of the events. Even though you won't be working for AGD, you are still the guy who made it what it is today, and we will ALWAYS remember that!. :hail:

Sorry to see you go,
Marco

temps
12-09-2004, 12:57 PM

:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

JimInVA
12-09-2004, 01:03 PM
Tom,

I had the honor of making your acquaintance at the IAOand had the privilege of seeing you dance to "YMCA". I even had the joy of winning the last of the Tac One markers you so generously provided for the prize package. My greatest memory, however, includes my son...

Word had filtered through Karen that you were out of Diet Pepsi. My son said, "I'll take care of it!" and jumped into the car. Electricity was out at the time and he had to travel through multiple communities before he was able to find an open store. Returning, he took his own ice chest, now filled with ice and drinks, and sent it your way... anonymously. You didn't know who he was when you so kindly offered your time during an evening workshop so he didn't feel it was necessary that you know who provided your Pepsi. IT WAS THE ACT, NOT THE ACKNOWLEDGEMENT that was important to my son.

Your involvement in our industry has been much the same. I would suggest that much of the respect that has been accorded you is due to your determination towards positive action without the constraint of the ego's need for self-proclaimed acknowlegment. You have been the proud and stalwart knight who now finds himself entering a new age - one influenced by dollars rather than integrity and where deceipt rules over truth. You cannot be faulted for desiring to exit while your character and reputation remain unblemished and intact. But you will be missed.

Good luck in your future endeavors, Mr. Tom Kaye. Remain true to yourself and you will find happiness.

Jim Bird

Bubonic Plauge
12-09-2004, 01:07 PM
Thank you Tom. The Automag 68 was the FIRST marker that made my jaw drop, I HAD to have it. Been sinking pennies ever since. :D

Any chance you will develop products for AGD from an R&R standpoint now and then? If you dont help this sport is going to move into the "Dark Ages" of paintball. :D

Craig

BlackHalo
12-09-2004, 01:26 PM
Thanks for all your contribuitions to the sport, and I wish you happiness in whatever you choose to do next.

I still have my first mag that's over 12 years old, and It'll still be in running condition while all those upstarts have broken and been tossed aside.

-Raf

Woody
12-09-2004, 02:14 PM
We were glad to have you at Regulators Outpost in Dalton Ga.
I enjoyed playing against you and securing a win for my side against one of the greatest names in paintball. ;)
Best wishes to you in your new endevors.
I hope to see you again in the middle. :cheers:

Doug "WOODY" Thompson
Team Half~Cocked

You're hit guys!

Krysys
12-09-2004, 02:15 PM
*Speechless.... for once*

Robotech
12-09-2004, 02:44 PM
Even if you don't own a AGD product there is no way you haven't been touched by the things this man has done.

Tom, we'll miss you. We understand, but know that doesn't mean we won't wish you were here.

beam
12-09-2004, 03:07 PM
Sad.

I remember getting so pumped for the first AO party. I drove into work for the highspeed connection, brought a bag of microwave popcorn, and a 2 liter of Mt. Dew. And then it got canceled because of technical difficulties.

I remember how much I loved to read the technical posts about paintball physics and debunking myths.

I used to tell everyone about AO. About the President of this awesome paintball company who was into archaeology, astronomy, etc. who would actually get on the forums and discuss new products and performance.

Sad to see you retire, Tom. Good luck in future endeavors.

/salute
:(

BreakoutPBJon
12-09-2004, 03:14 PM
As a dealer of AGD product and host of 2004's AO Norcal Socal Meet, myself and everyone at Breakout Paintball Central Cali wishes Tom the best of luck on his new ventures. I will always hold a special place in my heart for Mag's and the sheer muscle design of them. Being a dealer and seeing the fall of Automag's over time has sadened me and i hoped never for this day.

Happy Trails!

Jon - Breakout Operations Manager

FSU_Paintball
12-09-2004, 03:17 PM
Good luck to you in the future, and in all your future ventures. We all appreciate what you've done for us and the sport, and we'll miss you :)

SlipknotX556
12-09-2004, 03:33 PM
Damn Tom, sorry to hear this. Best of luck with whatever you may start doing. You will be missed.

Fritz1970
12-09-2004, 04:03 PM
Tom:

First time I've been back to AO in several months, and I see this. I feel as if I am watching a Titan stride out of view, taking the last vestiges of magic from our world.

Tom, you should know that there are many, many people who do not belong to AO or post, but who know who you are, what you look like, what you did for us as players and the sport as a whole, and who admire your character as well as your accomplishments. The flurry of agg cheater kidz may obscure the camo-clad host of us who remember, but we will be here, teaching others the sport and the sportsmanship that you forged.

Your titanic contributions may seem small to you, but to us mortals they are monumental. I submit that your contributions appear small to you because of your stature, not because of their worth.

Everything changes, including paintball. We must all accept that the time of legends in our sport is passing. Tom, please know that we will not forget, and that you have been a primary engine behind the creation of a rec and scenario ball community that will continue to flourish.

I cannot predict much else of what is to come, but I can make thse predictions:

I, my friends and many others will make Shatnerball a record event this year.
We will all stand in line to shake your hand and thank you for all you have done.
We will feel honored to do so.

May you find all the happiness and fulfillment that you have so justly earned.

Fritz1970,
(on my own behalf and at the direction of many East Coast old guard paintballers)

scribe
12-09-2004, 04:10 PM
you're a good guy tom.

good luck in whatever you do.

Carbon Blue
12-09-2004, 04:45 PM
*faints* :eek:

kevdupuis
12-09-2004, 05:10 PM

Take care,

JoAnn

Sorry to see you leaving also, Deb and I'll miss talking to you on the phone.

BTW, where do we send the chocolates. ;)

Magaman
12-09-2004, 05:33 PM
AGD

Not if we have anything to say about it... :mad:

MonsterMag
12-09-2004, 06:31 PM
Well I have a few things I want to say...

About 2 years I started playing paintball. My first marker was stock tippmann. I played on and off with it for about 1 year, then my birthday came and I had a paintball party my friend (dj89) let me use his xmag sence it was my bday , I LOVED it, I could go with out one. So I saved up my money and got a emag. I feel that it is the best marker I ever owned or will own. It is so fast and so sleek. All of my happyness was from you.
Tom Kaye , you are one of the coolest people I know , even though I have neve had the opertunity to meet you in person.

Here is a article I wrote for the teamwebsite
http://www.freewebs.com/teammagfiea/index.htm

Dear Tom ,
You have created many MAGnificent paintball markers over the years. You have brought out some of the best markers in our lifetime and we thank you for that. We are sad to see you move on , but also happy for you and hope you enjoy what ever you deside to do from here on out. Tom , we will always miss you and when we are playing paintball with our automags we will think of only one name.....Tom Kaye

Team Magfiea

Thanks again Tom :cheers:

C_22
12-09-2004, 06:33 PM
Best of luck Tom!

Being the great person you are, I'm positive you'll do great in any adventrue you embark. Drop by from time to time to say hi ;)

Saludos desde Mex, Tom!!

The Frymarker
12-09-2004, 06:47 PM
Tom,

I sent you a personal email and I am going to post here as well.

I'm very sad to see you go. You were the whole reason I stayed and continued on with making my grips. The first grips I made were on here for your markers. Since that time I have found a place to call home.

I hope you keep the grips and the artwork I have made for you as I will hold dearly my Tac and soon my Emag.

I'm glad that I kept that original drawing of you that we used for the posters. I have it hanging up on my wall and I look at it everyday as I am making grips for customers that are both yours and mine alike.

You have been an inspiration for me and your ideas and visions are something that I will cherish for the rest of my life. So even though you say you will be invisable, your not in my world.

I'll think about you, infact your in my grips on my tac one....they're just not finished yet. :D

I'm glad that I had the pleasure of meeting you at Shatnerball and sharing the stage with you for a while.

I wish you all the best in your future endeavors, think about us here on AO every once in a while, as I know we will be thinking of you.

LEGENDS NEVER FADE, and you Tom are a legend!

Heather

markoger
12-09-2004, 06:51 PM
LEGENDS NEVER FADE, and you Tom are a legend!

Heather

Well said....

_tMAN
12-09-2004, 07:22 PM
It's not official, paintball has died, only leaving a cold, souless, skeleton in its wake

good by Mr. Kaye, thanks for making paintball what it is. You are truly the founder of the game!

One last happy banana for the road :dance:

Scott Hudnall
12-09-2004, 07:35 PM
I am very saddened with your leaving, Mr Kaye. You are a giant among boys in the paintball world. Best of luck in the future. Please stick around and keep us all informed as to what's going on. Thanks a million!!!

BeaverEater
12-09-2004, 07:39 PM
wow all i can do is :cry:

Mighty Mike
12-09-2004, 07:39 PM
This is really sad news. Tom, being an automag owner since 93, I was truly honored to meet you at this year's AO NorCal vs. SoCal event. Thank You and I wish you much success in your next phase of life.

Eric Cartman
12-09-2004, 08:11 PM
The end of an era in paintball. Sad news indeed. :(

Enjoy your future endeavours Tom. All the best. :cheers:

virus
12-09-2004, 09:13 PM
WOW.....

Tom, though i have only met you once or twice, they were very memorable time for me...
as on of the others stated "the Titans are gone, Long live the Titans"... you were one
of the great of the paintball world... and will be sure to be remembered this way...

good luck on your new endenvers and i look forward to tring to get out to another
shatnerball for another great day of play with you and my fellow AOers'

:cheers:

Cyberious
12-09-2004, 09:27 PM
Paintball didn't make Tom Kaye, Tom Kaye made Paintball...think I'll make it my new signature.

autocockertrader
12-09-2004, 10:07 PM
Me too :headbang: :headbang:

Resurrecti0n
12-09-2004, 10:14 PM
Plain and Simple

Thank You

Your products got me into this game, and to be honest, your guns are the only ones I will ever shoot again...

Thank you, Tom.

jwren00
12-09-2004, 10:20 PM
Tom,

I've only met you once, at the ao norcal vs. socal meet a year ago. Nonetheless, thank you for everything you've done for the sport. Sad to see you go, but it had to happen some day. Don't abandon us, and keep us updated on your new career!

Snap Shooter
12-09-2004, 11:19 PM
I must now bunker and bonus-ball every two-bit smart parts shooting sellout I have the misfortune of knowing... revenge is a dish best served from the end of an Automag!!!

On your departure Tom, two quotes come to mind....

"No distance of place, or lapse of time can lessen the freindship of those who are thoroughly pursuaded of each others worth." -- Robert Southey

"Character is that which reveals moral purpose, exposing the class of things a man chooses or AVOIDS." -- Aristotle

Thanks for keeping it real.

AutomagRT1483
12-10-2004, 12:58 AM
Look at it this way Tom and AO, Tom finally made the home page over at ForceofNature.com (atleast that I've seen)