PDA

View Full Version : Your Tom Kaye Stories...

Muzikman
12-09-2004, 01:25 PM
I know there are all kinds of threads giving Tom best wishes and what not. What I want to hear are the stories about Tom. The first time you met him, the late night talks and even the confusing questions he would ask and knew you could not answer.

hardr0ck68
12-09-2004, 01:38 PM
I never made it out to a shatnerball, if toms there this year I WILL BE.

but i got to play in a big game with him in PA, i brought my girlfriend for her first time playing PB. We lost 2 guys to a "sniper on our flank, and up a hill, we couldent see him but we knew he was up there, alot of the tourny guys wanted to just go up there and go one on one with him.....but Tom called to a sniper to "leave now while you can" then looked at us and told us to all dump one pod on that hill (where the sniper was) when he said...."Ok now" 10+ e/x mags 15+ RT's dumping one pod each up there, true accruacy by volume.....we did not get shot at from that hill again for some time. It was amazing how he would direct volumes of paint like that......i want to be part of that again.

thanks Tom

on an off note with TOm gone and PB what it is today i think im gonna ditch tournys and dig out my old camies.....maybe its time to play big games/scenarios

Dayspring
12-09-2004, 01:39 PM
The o-ring talk at Megameet... By far one of the coolest tech talks ever. How often do you sit around a table with an industry giant, have a beer or two and learn about something.

My brain is STILL fried!

hitech
12-09-2004, 01:43 PM
I can't think of a good story, yet. However, the thing that always struck me about Tom is that he treated me (and probably everyone else) like a friend. Even though I have only talked with him a few times it always felt like I was talking with a friend. Not an industry leader. Not like the owner of a company to a customer. But ALWAYS like a friend. I'll miss that...

ntn4502
12-09-2004, 02:17 PM
I'd have to say the funniest talk I had with them happened at the past IAO, those who were there can back me up on this

behemoth
12-09-2004, 02:25 PM
I'd have to say the funniest talk I had with them happened at the past IAO, those who were there can back me up on this

What was it about?

gibby
12-09-2004, 02:25 PM
The first time I met Tom was at a paintball expo out at SC Village. The donut fest was awesome and I believe it was the first time I saw the blue extreme emag on display. I was still sort of new to the AO scene and just barely getting to know the pros/cons of the mag.

After that, I would say the next time I got to meet him was at Shatnerball I. Afterall, had it not been for him TooDamnSweet and I probably would have never met. So I've got much to be thankful for to him. THANKS TOM for pimpin me a woman! ;)

Next time I would meet him would be at the scenario event out in Jungle Island where he and Bud Orr would duke it out. Although he was very busy, he still managed to find time to chat with TDS and I and encourage one of her daughters to keep on playing paintball. In a way, we were hoping her daughter would grow up and after a few years under her belt, TK would give her a sponsorship...LOL!!! Too bad for that! :cry:

Then of course, there was the AO NorCal vs. SoCal event which Tom blessed us with his pressence. A lot of the players got to sit down and chat with him during his stay and he even gave TDS a little pressent and was unexpected. Thanks again Tom for that! :) Oh, being shot in the head too and having a yummy welt on my forehead was my present from him. Gee...thanks Tom but TDS's pressent was way cooler! :p But it made for a cool photo op. :D

I guess you can see that I'm very fortunate to have met such an influential person in the history of paintball. He's been very kind to TDS and I and hopefully it won't be the last we see of him.

Again...THANK YOU VERY MUCH TOM FOR ALL YOU'VE DONE FOR US!! Good luck with your future and enjoy a stress free life!

ej_y4
12-09-2004, 03:16 PM
I met Tom at the Nor Cal vs So Cal met. He took out the whole feild with a run down the right tape line. :wow: He also spent time with us just talking. Thanks Tom for everything you have done.

Muzikman
12-09-2004, 03:29 PM
Ok, I know I started it and never shared stories. My desktop puked and I was trying to get it back up and running. This is just going to be me rambling trying to remember all the conversations and time I had lost sleep at events because of Tom telling stories.

I met Tom Years ago at IAO. I know he does not remember it, and he was one of the many "inustry people I met that year".

It took almost 6 more years before I acutally talked to him again.

The year is 2001, the location, IAO. This was the first Donut Orgy I can remember. A small group of AOers sat behind the the tent and ate donuts and drank pop. I can not remember what we talked about, but it was the first time that I realized the Tom was a very approchable person.

Next event was SuperTour at AGD in Nov of 2001. This is when I realized that Tom cared about his customers and also when I realized Tom was smarter than your average bear. The best story from this event (besides me setting off the alarm at AGD:)) was Saturday night after played at Country Club going to back to AGD and a small group of us talking for hours. Tom then decided to show us the gun dyno. He showed us how it worked, how different the recharge rate of regs were. And the kicker, putting Nerobro's Stabilizer on the dyno and seeing Tom's eye pop out after seeing how good it really was.

The one thing about Tom is that he is willing to tell you everything he knows. He will talk for hours and then you look at your watch and it's 3am.

Tom's oring talk at the Megameet was a great time.

More to Come....

Dayspring
12-09-2004, 03:31 PM
I agree with that 100%.

I can't think of a good story, yet. However, the thing that always struck me about Tom is that he treated me (and probably everyone else) like a friend. Even though I have only talked with him a few times it always felt like I was talking with a friend. Not an industry leader. Not like the owner of a company to a customer. But ALWAYS like a friend. I'll miss that...

LittlePaintballBoy
12-09-2004, 03:35 PM
NorCal vs SoCal he ran down the entire tape line off the break and took out 5-6 guys. One of the coolest moves i've seen in paintball.

gibby
12-09-2004, 03:53 PM
NorCal vs SoCal he ran down the entire tape line off the break and took out 5-6 guys. One of the coolest moves i've seen in paintball.
YUP! And you know...I was one of the 5 or 6 guys! :) Hehe!

Thordic
12-09-2004, 03:55 PM
Before Shatner 1, Tom was sitting around with me, Clare, mango, Riotz, spacemanspiff, and I think one or two guys from AGD Pride (then, and now again, Butterscotch Yo) plotting the next days plan.

None of us had a clue what we were doing, but we stayed up late as Tom laughed about how we were going to destroy Shatner.

None of it worked, of course, but it was a fun night none-the-less.

But probably the most memorable conversation I had with Tom occurred this year at IAO. Tom, I swear, I DO actually recall that conversation, even though some events from later on that evening are a little blurry.

It was a simple conversation about the state of the industry and where it was going while we sat in a booth at the Sheraton bar in Cranberry. I know anything I said at that point in the evening probably came out as gibberish but somehow what Tom was saying stuck with me.

That and Tom bought me a beer :)

Load SM5
12-09-2004, 04:04 PM
I met him at Mardi Gras 4 years ago. He remembered my screen name from looming on the forums. He and Jon invited me to hang out and even sit back behind the booth. Amazing approachability.
My biggest Tom memory is the one I'm most famous for. SC AO Meet 1, a day that shal live in infamy. Tom, Fatman and I are on the same team. I spent the night before messing around with the trigger and shimmed up my one magnet so the trigger would go off if you glanced at it. Right at the 10 second countdown I banged the barrel against the starting station 55 gallon and the gun went off. Right into Industry Giant Tom Kaye's left cheek...and not the one on his face.

But he gave me an X-Valve and made me a mod shortly after, so I guess he liked it.;)

Kevmaster
12-09-2004, 04:08 PM
My biggest Tom memory is the one I'm most famous for. SC AO Meet 1, a day that shal live in infamy. Tom, Fatman and I are on the same team. I spent the night before messing around with the trigger and shimmed up my one magnet so the trigger would go off if you glanced at it. Right at the 10 second countdown I banged the barrel against the starting station 55 gallon and the gun went off. Right into Industry Giant Tom Kaye's left cheek...and not the one on his face.

how could anyone forget?

my memory too is from AOSC 1. I was a pithy young AOer and totally green to AO. I came down to write a paper for a class on the AO day. Tom gave me twenty or thirty minutes to interview him and we just talked. I loved it. He didn't know who i was....but he let me go with him the next day to Paintball Inc and it just made me feel welcome. I don't think i'll ever turn away from AO ever

sillypookie
12-09-2004, 04:34 PM
I have two memories of Tom that made me a mag convert:

1) I was one of the 200 people at the joint AGD/WGP tech conference in Crystal City, VA in 1998. I always remember the quality and dedication Tom showed to his product during the course of that weekend. Sitting around until 2-3 a.m. with us in the conference room afterwards discussing ROF and accuracy... this was right after the RT was released. Incidentally we also got the first look at the z-grip taht weekend. I actually was at his lunch table with Forrest Hatcher (PTP) and he told me the most controversial thing I'd ever heard in paintball... and it is funny considering all the ROF arguments on today. Tom told me that the auto-response trigger was the MOST ACCURATE makrer he ahd ever fired... he told me that he believed that the higher the ROF, the more accurate the marker based on equalizing pressures of having 2+ balls in the barrel at once. My AGD tech certification certificates are still hung with pride in my workshop.

2) Before Skyball 2001 I was going through a bit of a job crisis, and was considering moving back to the states and taking a different career track... I noticed a job posting on the AGD website and e-mailed Tom my resume. In spite of me having no appreciable experience in the industry, Tom set up an interview with me and Dave Zupan at Skyball. I was playing and I missed 2 games due to the interview, but I had one of the most fascinating interviews and conversations of my life. I was ultimately offered the job, but was forced to turn it down. I'm still kicking myself.

Just thought I'd share since everyone else is :)

Good Luck Tom... I hung my Angel up because of you, and I'm never going back.

beam
12-09-2004, 05:05 PM
Remember when Tom headed out west for vacation, and he had a contest for AO members to flag him down on the interstate?

I had considered driving 1.5 north to I-90 just to give it a shot.

It was fun stuff like that and the AO parties and the tech talks/threads that I'll miss.

quik
12-09-2004, 05:59 PM
One time I was in AO chat, and he came in, de-voiced me, and proceeded to talk about some kind of topic about paintball.

It was enlightening.

CaliMagFan
12-09-2004, 06:36 PM
I met TK at ao norcal vs socal.... i guess i now know what it was like for Jesus's disciples.... er something like that... lol.... He's a great guy.... showed off the upcomming tac-one, talked to me for a bit about paintball in general and his history and then posed for a picture with me..... it my favorite picture from teh AO meet...

thanks TK... you are one of the main reasons that i went from a kid that plated paintball to a paintballer that loves the game...

-kyle r....kyro

Potatoboy
12-09-2004, 07:29 PM
I first met tom at the first SCAO event. We pulled into the hotel late that night, and Tom was in the Business Station in the locked hotel lobby.

Datapimp and I got his attention and he introduced himself. and was pretty suprised that I wasn't in fact, a boy.

On a related note, he was also the next day quite suprised personman, wasn't a man.

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
12-09-2004, 07:38 PM
he gave me a ride home :)
i feel so honored

minimagjim
12-09-2004, 08:11 PM
The first time I met Tom was at the Bad Boyz Toyz Pig Roast after the 1st Shatnerball. I went down to Lansing, IL and took part in the uber sales and saw someone that I thought was Tom Kaye. Never seeing a great picture of the guy I wasnt sure but after I snooped around enough I realized it had to be him. What was great though was he noticed me kinda lurking and invited me over to a group that was just forming and had me help him out with the donuts from his truck. We brought them back, ate donuts and shared stories with the others there. Along with that Tom had brought the Shatner Xmag and it was the first time I had seen an X-mag up close or for that matter at all. This was super cool, sitting and talking to a legend and all around cool guy eating donuts and playing with the Xmag. Good times...

Another great time was when we had AO-IL day over at CCP. When Tom and the gang from AGD came down. That was fun. One thing that I thought was hillarious was that one game I played on Tom's team and when the game started we both were running to a bunker and trying to fire both of us got shot out, turns out I had my safety on and so did he. :rolleyes: So I felt better when I realized this that even the Great Ones make mistakes like that.

The last one I have to share was at Shatnerball 3. The guarding of the tank that Tom was in. My friend and I were walking up and were looking for something to do when he called us out and said we were gonna protect his tank. So we did it. And Tom ended up winning that mission. Although it was a team effort I like to think that i played a good meat shield. After that the last battle was tremedously fun. Tom rallying us to that huge charge at the end and him rushing up to take the flag.

These stories will never be forgotten and will never be silenced. I love telling all my non-paintball buddies them over and over.

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
12-09-2004, 08:28 PM
that was a great memory jim :)
http://www.jayloo.com/files/pics/8000/DSC02817_3489_rs.JPG

purplemag
12-09-2004, 08:39 PM
Played in a big game with Tom down here in Charleston, SC last year. What a treat to meet the maker of so many great products!
I think he taught me one of the most common sense strategies for a big game I still use to this day.
The everyone stop firing, count to three and then everyone concentrate all their firepower strategy. Man it works every single time, and people always ask how did you know when and how to get us to do that??? I say, two words...Tom Kaye!

Miscue
12-09-2004, 08:53 PM
The first time I had personal contact with Tom was over the phone. It was a conference call with TK, RobAGD, BlackVCG, and me. I forgot what it was about, but I do remember that I was thinking: "Whoa, this is Tom Kaye!" I was afraid to talk, I dunno why. He's like... a celebrity or something. I remember when the EMag was unveiled and they had that countdown on the webpage, and TK was going to be in a chat room. I left work early that day just so I can see what he had to say.

The first time I met him was at an LA NPPL tournament in 2001 I believe. The donuts were on the table, I sat in the group - nobody knew who I was, and I didn't know anybody. Later on we matched each other up by screen name. A group of us went to Marie Callendars and TK bought dinner. It might be somewhat surprising, but I haven't had much of a conversation with him outside of AO - except for when I was going over software with him at the SoCal vs NorCal game. I was always busy doing something else at events, or vice-versa. Oh, and he let me interview him about the first Shatner game because I was working on a PR project for school.

This guy can talk forever once he gets started! But it's always interesting.

RoadDawg
12-09-2004, 09:02 PM
First time I met TK was at the same SC Village event that Gibby spoke about. I remember being awe struck at how the owner of a company would take the time to break down a mag and show us the quick fixes etc, and introduce us to the creators of the Angel, Bill Mills, the Oddessey guy and Budd Orr. The donuts were flowing like water and it was good fun. It also was the first time I bought something from RogueFactor (whole other outstanding story).

2nd time was AO Nor/SoCal game. Used my allen wrench to adjust the velocity on the Tac-one. Also caught a few pictures at the end with him. Extremely nice and handled my Warped ULE Emag and complemented me on the nice work of putting it together. I did manage to miss the tape run but it's on my picture cd.

KayleAGD
12-09-2004, 09:57 PM
Boy , this could take a while......

The first real dealings with AGD was the second year they were in nashville at the
masters tournament.
Having bought my mag earlier that year and having so many problems and finding solutions with help from their tech department I show up at heir booth.
That is when i introduced myself to Joann who then passed me to John Dale. I showed him some of the things that had improved my gun. He said come behind the table and step into the motor home. I said sure There was tom chillin in the AC. We set and talked about the way the gun functioned and the idea's that I tried.
From that day on I stayed in touch weekly getting strange packages in the mail with a note only saying "try this". The next masters I was on the other side of the table and that is where I have stayed ever after.

Always an AGD loyal servant

Kayle Malcom

the123
12-10-2004, 02:01 AM
The year is 2001, the location, IAO. This was the first Donut Orgy I can remember. A small group of AOers sat behind the the tent and ate donuts and drank pop. I can not remember what we talked about, but it was the first time that I realized the Tom was a very approchable person.

This was the first time I met Tom. A member of AO for a whole 2 months since I stepped up from an RT to an E-Mag. While we were sitting back behind the tent, i turned on my video camera, and I still have the tape around here somewhere. I never put it up anywhere because while the camera was on it was sitting in my lap and i wasn't paying attention where it was pointing... when I played it back, I realized that i was pointing it at Toms crotch for several minutes (as I was sitting directly across from him). I will never forget that day.. I met Tom, Bud Orr, Bill Mills, Glen Palmer and the owner of PBgear.com all within a few hours. We talked about the new modular bodies that had just been released at the Toulouse tournament weeks prior. Tom had a body he was passing around for us to examine and was asking us what WE thought of it and if we thought it was the future. From that day on, I was never more engrossed with the sport and haven't looked back yet.
So many fun times after that has only made things sweeter. The Super Tour, WLIPP, another IAO where I helped the tradeshow booth, industry gossip at the Sheraton, prototype ACE+LX testing at Country Club, being the first to get LX installed before the 02' Chicago open, Shatnerballs 1 and 3, World Cup where AGD sponsored the team I was on (Swarm), and more.. so many memories I will NEVER forget. Tom please don't fall off the radar anytime soon. Paintball just wont be the same.

Muzikman
12-10-2004, 02:06 AM
Brian, I would love a copy of the video. Not even for the video side, but even the audio would be great. There has been so many conversations and stories, I can't remember them all. I should have carried my MD recorder around.

FromTheBack
12-10-2004, 05:04 AM
Well my first and only time meeting Tom was at the most recent AO-SE day down in Dalton GA. After driving 9 hours and getting *some* sleep, me and phantomhitman woke up the next day for the scenario game. At the begining of the day there was a presentation with Tom in it and I kept thinking to myself, man that would be awesome if I could get to play on the field with him. Well as it would happen while us AO'rs were setting up our gear Tom just walks up and acts so laid back about it meanwhile I am like freaking out because TK is right next to me. I soon learned the definition of "AO Army" as we all marched down onto the field with Tom, fighting alongside him and conquering wherever we went when AO'rs were together. I think the highlight of the day was when we were walking through a mine field and being pinned down by a group behind an enbankment ahead of us and he said "Form a line and spead out, I'll count down to 10 and on 10 everyone fire and keep shooting for 10 seconds." It was really impressive to hear how loud and intimidating about 25 paintball guns in a row sounded followed by a charge afterwards which Tom lead with a terrifying scream in which all the enemies fled from. After the day I was even more suprised when he just hung out with us at the hotel where I taught him how to play Halo2 and listened to just an amazing conversation of the paintball industry. It really was a great time and I'm glad I got to meet the man behind the company!!
http://img35.exs.cx/img35/6571/picture2804qn.th.jpg (http://img35.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img35&image=picture2804qn.jpg)

The Frymarker
12-10-2004, 09:41 AM
My Tom stories, hmmmm

He has been an awesome leader from the first time I came on these forums a few years ago.

He asked for some grips I made him some grips with money in them, and also a pair with scorpions. He basically supported me with anything I came out with. Even asked if I wanted to put the grips in his store front so I could sell them.

This past year I was honored to be a part of Shatnerball and help out with artwork and designing the shirts.

He gave me a chance to showcase my work and for that I am very grateful.

I got to have some space in the AGD booth to hand out posters and talk to the customers, it was I guess the pinnacle of my career.

I even got to play along side him at the start of Shatnerball. Standing on stage with him was the best and a memory I will hold forever!

I stayed up all last night just thinking about the fact that he is leaving, it's left a void. AO and AGD will not be the same without him.

hitech
12-10-2004, 01:01 PM
...the fact that he is leaving, it's left a void. AO and AGD will not be the same without him.

Yes it has. And I think he has underestimated how much he will be missed...

bsolomon
12-10-2004, 05:38 PM
I recall when I was just starting out, back in '91 or '92 we were at the Internation Amateur Open near Pittsburgh. I wasn't even playing on the tournament team - just assisting. Our team was in the process of transitioning from pumps to this revolutionary new gun called an AutoMag. HPA hadn't been invented, and nobody even knew most of the tricks for keeping them running happy on CO2 (no expansion chambers or anti-siphons, etc.).

We were playing what we considered a crucial game and we gave a key player an AutoMag that one of our players had just purchased at the vendor tent, even though he had never used one before. He had all kinds of problems during the game, got eliminated, came out and shot very hot over the chrono, earning us penalty points. He cleared the google-on area, threw his goggles one way, and the AutoMag the other. It bounced twice before coming to rest with the barrel stuck in the mud, very close to the feet of an interested bystander. The player's name I wont mention. The bystander was Tom Kaye...

Rather than get mad, Tom took the time to work with us, actually having a private tech session for our team back at the hotel. I bought my first AutoMag shortly after that, due in no small part to his obvious commitment to his product. Since then, I have never owned or even played a game of paintball with another brand of marker. tom will certainly be missed.

TooDamnSweet
12-10-2004, 08:16 PM
The first time I met Tom was at a paintball expo out at SC Village. The donut fest was awesome and I believe it was the first time I saw the blue extreme emag on display. I was still sort of new to the AO scene and just barely getting to know the pros/cons of the mag.

After that, I would say the next time I got to meet him was at Shatnerball I. Afterall, had it not been for him TooDamnSweet and I probably would have never met. So I've got much to be thankful for to him. THANKS TOM for pimpin me a woman! ;)

Next time I would meet him would be at the scenario event out in Jungle Island where he and Bud Orr would duke it out. Although he was very busy, he still managed to find time to chat with TDS and I and encourage one of her daughters to keep on playing paintball. In a way, we were hoping her daughter would grow up and after a few years under her belt, TK would give her a sponsorship...LOL!!! Too bad for that! :cry:

Then of course, there was the AO NorCal vs. SoCal event which Tom blessed us with his pressence. A lot of the players got to sit down and chat with him during his stay and he even gave TDS a little pressent and was unexpected. Thanks again Tom for that! :) Oh, being shot in the head too and having a yummy welt on my forehead was my present from him. Gee...thanks Tom but TDS's pressent was way cooler! :p But it made for a cool photo op. :D

I guess you can see that I'm very fortunate to have met such an influential person in the history of paintball. He's been very kind to TDS and I and hopefully it won't be the last we see of him.

Again...THANK YOU VERY MUCH TOM FOR ALL YOU'VE DONE FOR US!! Good luck with your future and enjoy a stress free life!

Ditto!!!

Because of Tom I met Gibby who is my soul mate! ;) Tom also introduced me to William Shatner which is something I will never forget!!! Tom got me to play paintball and I really enjoy the game and have made alot of good friends because of it. My life has drastically changed and all in positive ways all because of Tom. I'm really happy that you crashed the WS BBS server back in 2002 LOL

Even though I don't know him very well, he is definately one of the most generous and sincere guys I've met. Every time I've had the opportunity to meet up with him, he's been busy but always made time to chat. I remember the first time I saw him at Shatnerball, I didn't realize he was soooo tall! I love all the great stories. Thanks for everything Tom! I love my man, my picture with Mr. Shatner and my hulamag!

iwantanautomag
12-10-2004, 08:24 PM
I remember shatnerball 03, tom and i made-out after the game in a local bar. He was so drunk... not bad though... a bit too much tounge...

Jackel411
12-11-2004, 12:10 AM
Well I only met him in the course of about 3 days up at IAO 2k3 it was damn fun and I was probally on my second or third ulcer by the time I actually got to talk with him..

As best as I can recall.. my head is to jammed with stuff since then.

Back when I ran with Divine Craft Paintball , we were hired out to do there first scenario game belive you me.. I almost defficated myself when I was told that. So when we got there the field that we were to use was not even ready to be played on..

No bunkers , no paths , no nothing and about 1500 feet of barbed wire was accross the main playing field.. so.. Day one consisted of getting ride from Glenn and Craig palmer to the sight ( this was the case of most the week we never got our rental car and we took a grey hound there ). Two days of this passed.. FYI I was clearing barbed wire and making paths while wearing dress shirts I never though I would be doing what I was. OH... let me make nice right here... debra... I think I REALLY broke that cart when I hit a tree with it and who ever was the 3 rivers ref that was with me when I crashed it.. MY BAD... your still cool :)

Any way.. it was industry party night and we were invited we showed up late to our hotel from the field and luckily our ride.. the palmers were late too so it wasnt a bad deal. We showed up there late so all that was left was some funky cheese puffs... I ate what I could and started downing bacardi drinks ( It was sponsored by them , Also at the time I was only 20 :) ) By about drink 4 I asked the bar tended to suprise me... bad move I was off my *** drunk..

About 5 minutes into a buzz the likes I still havent had I was talking to Tom.. more like jabbering semi coherently about me having a mill and me making a scenario mag for him when Ryan ( ? ) Maybe of One Shot productions came over and started interviewing us... MAN can you sober up quickly with a movie camera jammed in your face. First he went to Tom and Tom threw his arms around me and my then bussiness mate ralph and went on this speech about keeping the sport alive and these guys ( pointing to me and ralph ) are the future of paintball and will keep the game growing and going.. its sorta hit me strait home I was honnored ( I cant spell )

Not to make it sound like Im lauding myself... but I had to have the best EVER drunk line there....

" This party and this drink is the perfect catharsis to the 12 hour friggen bus ride I had the other day.... WOOOOOO "

If any one has the One Shot Productions vidio of IAO 2k3 can you make a copy of it for me?? Id love you for ever I never got one and they tanked I think and well never get it :(

Doobie
12-11-2004, 01:15 AM
This story is built for two...
Where do I start?
I fell in love with AGD markers in 1998 while stationed in Germany. I knew of TK and all he had done for the game and on pure faith, bought a 68 AutoMag. That thing rocked the socks off all the German Cockers!
Years later, I was in Chicago doing some work with the Army recruiters in the area. It was the week of 9/11. I called the factory on 9/12 and got a very pleasant sounding receptionist on the line. I told her I was wondering if I could stop in for a tour. She said they were quite busy and it didn’t look good. I mentioned I would not be in the area long and why and she asked me to hold. She came back on and said he would make time for me, because I was a soldier and an AO’er. Thanks Joann…for setting up my first chance to meet Tom. Since then, I have talked to you on the phone, you have met my wife and I have seen your name on every package coming from the factory. I am going to miss that. Good luck to you Joann, you’re going to be missed.

Now, Tom. After that extensive tour, and making time for me even though you were experiencing computer problems, I found an even greater respect for what you did. Not just for paintball, but also for the work you did with Police, the design of the FN303, Perfect Circle, “Look at the Bones, man!” and your other pursuits. One can only stand in awe at your intellect and intelligence. Not to mention what a genuinely nice and fun guy you are to be around.
Thanks for everything you have done for the game.
Thanks for everything you have done for me. (The Autographed X-Mag will soon be retired for safekeeping).
Thanks for all you have done for Trina. (I have never seen her get so excited about anything before you asked her to be the next spokes model)
Good luck and have fun with whatever you plan on doing in the future. Keep in touch!

Chris “Doobie” DuBois
:cheers:

pito189
12-11-2004, 03:52 AM
First time I meet Tom was at the Chicago WPF event. He noticed my left handed E-Mag warp setup and we talked for awhile about leftes and the beginnings of Level 10. I almost missed a game because of our talk.

Everytime I meet him he was always friendly and always wanted to know how your AGD product was working and if anything could be better.

He will be missed. Good luck with whatever you do. :)

The Frymarker
12-11-2004, 11:17 AM
Yes it has. And I think he has underestimated how much he will be missed...

Yes I don't think he knows how much he will be missed either :(

Scandalon
12-11-2004, 07:29 PM
After the day I was even more suprised when he just hung out with us at the hotel where I taught him how to play Halo2 and listened to just an amazing conversation of the paintball industry.

Now the truth comes out...you got TK hooked on Halo, and now he doesn't want to mess with AGD anymore! :P

I never met TK, and I'm not a huge AO'er, but in all my dealings w/ AGD I've been pleasantly surprised, and AO specifically seems to be a real community. I just got my mag running and was looking into the next NorCal Vs. Socal, too...

tdogreb
12-11-2004, 08:34 PM
I started playing paintball around 87-88 in jacksonville fl. I was playing mostly at the jax warriors home field, though I was not yet a team member. The great Ed Head and I think Greg had went up to talk to Tom about this new gun , I remember Ed and Larry raving over it. Then a few weeks later there it was, a new 68 automag, small,lite,the most advanced gun in the paintball world. I bought no. 1515 a bit later, still got it , still stock, still play with it from time to time. Anyway I joined the warriors and off to tournys we went . I met Tom for the first time at the music city open , he worked on my gun and gave me a tech class at the same time, great guy. Tom made paintball what it is for me today. I have never played a game of paintball with anything but a AGD product. today I use an E-mag but my heart is heavy. good luck Tom, wish you the best.

Snooky
12-11-2004, 08:49 PM
My best story, because it was awesome: http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30291&page=1&pp=30

Think it was like 2 years ago now or about then.

magmonkey
12-11-2004, 09:24 PM
I met Tom for the first time At skyball,
I had NO money, I just got picked up for a team playing national events, and I was a trade school machinist. so I reverse engineered a micro mag.

a couple people on my team forced me to go and show him, I though he was going to be mad that I copied his design. I intruduced myself and showed him (very timidly) what I had done.

he grabbed it , brought it over to the tech booth and showed Rob , then brought it over the the SOBs and showed them and said " now thats a custom mag" and congradulated me on the work
my first thought was how cool he was when he could of been mad about the situation

the next time we met was at world cup 2001 they were setting up and we helped. in between field walking, he asked me if I would like Bob Long to take some time to teach us how to walk the fields, and he set it up for us now how cool is that....

him and Jon hung out with us until 3:00 am at the ao mega meet while we were locked out of the hotel room.

one of the most meaningful (and also sad) weeks of my life was this year at IAO

we got to hang out with people from just about every good guy type paintball bussiness...
sitting and talking with Tom, Jon, Larry and Aaron (from aka), Glen and Craig Palmer,
Ms. Dobbs (from ICD) John from jmj concepts. all at the same place at the same time (WAY too late in a hotel lobby bar) and having them all treat us like an equal will to me alway be the high point in my paintball career and something I will never forget.

thank you Tom for these memories and SO many more... you will never know how much you have done for me as a player and as a business owner.

Alan
DC

FromTheBack
12-11-2004, 11:48 PM
Now the truth comes out...you got TK hooked on Halo, and now he doesn't want to mess with AGD anymore! :P
haha, I certainly hope not. But if I did I am expecting a Re-match Tom! :ninja:

wes
12-12-2004, 12:57 AM
i got personman to get his autograph for me---

the123
12-13-2004, 12:26 AM
From Warpig- The first AO Donut Orgy -IAO 2001

MrAirgunRT
12-13-2004, 05:39 AM
What a devastating thing to wake up and see at 5:30 in the morning.. This pic is from the Ultimate Madness.. I think 2002? While my most memorable moment was probly the car ride in PA from the sheraton to wherever we ate that night. haha