PDA

View Full Version : Linksys Wireless Xbox Live Question...

CaptaiN_JacK
12-09-2004, 08:42 PM
So here's my predicament. I have Halo 2, and want to play it on live. Problem is, our computer and DSL is on the other side of the house and downstairs from our big screen tv and Xbox, so it wouldn't be very economic to run a lengthy ethernet cable throughout our house. The best option that I have come up with is to link it wirelessly. We have a Linksys Wireless G right now hooked up to our computer, and a friend told me that if I got another Wireless G Access Point, or a Wireless B Access Point, I could use that to hook up my Xbox to live. Well, I jumped the gun on this one while searching Ebay today and bought a Wireless B Access Point, although I'm not sure if it's the coreect one (buy now ask questions later, that is my motto). Will it work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5736676281&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Gracias

Potatoboy
12-09-2004, 08:47 PM
that's going to cause some issues, since it's not an just an access point, it's a router.

Most of the network companies, make a nice little one port access point which is market to console online gamers. Basically it's an access point, with one port, only to connect to the Xbox/PS2/Gamecube.

It sounds like that's what you want.

Here's a link to the linksys one:
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=38&prid=558
That one is 802.11g which will allow a lot more badwidth than 802.11b.

CaptaiN_JacK
12-09-2004, 08:58 PM
I've seen those gaming wireless things, but I figured a wireless b would be a little cheaper. When I saw this one on ebay for $35, and free shipping when you do buy it now, i jumped at the chance. Oh well, if it doesn't work I'll just sell it on Ebay (and probably make money on it).

Clarify something for me, when you say it will cause issues...like what kind of issues? Is it even going to connect to Live?

DiSoRdeR
12-09-2004, 09:30 PM
so it wouldn't be very economic to run a lengthy ethernet cable throughout our house.
Hey man it works for me, It is also cheaper then going wireless.

govnamac
12-09-2004, 09:39 PM
Hey man it works for me, It is also cheaper then going wireless.

I have a router with 4 computers running off my cable modem. To hook up the xbox, do I just have to run another line out of it to the xbox?

Potatoboy
12-09-2004, 09:39 PM
issues such as:
two dhcp server on the same network, that can easily be solved by turning it off though.

making sure that one of the access points is operating as a bridge, may not be settable in that perticular firmware.

it will work, it just might take some work to get going.

Steelrat
12-09-2004, 09:42 PM
You didn't need an access point. What he probably meant was an ethernet bridge, which essentially gives you a cat 5-6 wireless connections away from your wireless router. I use the linksys g game adapter potato linked to, and it works great, unlike the other linksys crap I have used.

pointm@n
12-10-2004, 09:12 AM
The wireless gaming adapters seem to perform like crap. My buddy runs his xbox and he is plagued by problems. I did the ghetto fab method and moved my router right next to the xbox. All my computers are running wireless and the xbox is wired directly to the wireless router.

CaptaiN_JacK
12-10-2004, 12:16 PM
So pointm@n, you're saying the setup I'm about to attempt will probably work? And what kind of router do you have?

pointm@n
12-10-2004, 02:57 PM
I said the wireless adapters are CRAP. I'm glad I didn't buy one, I just moved my router to where my tv and xbox are and my PCs are all wireless.

My buddy has problems all the time. He is always lagging and sometimes gets kicked out because of it.