PDA

View Full Version : Freak or J & J barrel

Lorenz0666
12-10-2004, 05:01 PM
all right i have a 14' freak system, i'm thinking about getting a j & j cermic balrrel but i'm not sure if i'm upgradeing or not so everyone vote and help me out freak or j & j or something else let me know what though

Skywalker
12-10-2004, 05:05 PM
I'd stick with the freak. Mine has never let me down.

Or try a longbow, I hear they are pretty accurate.

SpecialBlend2786
12-10-2004, 07:35 PM
If you already have a freak i dont see a real point in switching barrels....it's a great barrel as is.

But i do like the J&J kits

MonsterMag
12-10-2004, 07:41 PM
get a pipe or a stiffi ;)

LeatherPants
12-10-2004, 08:09 PM
Honestly the only barrel that I found to never give me any problems is the UltraLite. I know that barrel has been really hyped up over the years but it works.

I've owned a Freak kit, Evil Pipe kit, Stiffi Switch Kit, UL, CP, AA and other random cheap ones.

Freak- SP uses a tumbler not a micro honing process for the inserts. Some people have problems with the inserts lining up.

Evil Pipe- Tip is very thin and easily damaged. The loudest barrel that I have ever used if that matters to you. Overall well made though. Super smooth bore and the angles ports allow decent shoot out cleaning.

Stiffi- Lightest barrel. Anno is terrible. One weekend and you will see it rubbing off. Also you cannot use swabs to clean the barrel because of the CF. As far as shooting thru breaks. It really isn't anything special.

frop
12-11-2004, 03:55 AM
Lapco Snapshot, just lovely. It doesn't seem to like shooting through breaks, but I don't really break paint at all.

Torbo
12-11-2004, 11:12 AM
just rock an ultralight. unless youre shooting a closed bolt gun, that will handle 99% of the paint youre likely to use. And you dont have to worry about paint matching. You might lose a little efficiency, but thats not that big of a deal.

Vigilantrix
12-11-2004, 11:25 AM
I got to agree with LeatherPants here (dude... that sounds odd). I have owned the Freak kit, several DYE barrels and the J&J Edge kit.

SP Freak - Much like the Max-Flo, another way over-hyped product from Smart Parts. Insert system is stupid at best. Try to play the "you only need another back for your new gun" thing off way too much, the majority of other guns you would switch to from a Mag already use the Cocker threadeing of the E/X-Mag and any ULE body Mag so theres really only a tiny advantage to that.

DYE UL - Never shot a barrel that looked cooler or performed nicer. Little expensive, but then isn't everything made by DYE. To my knowledge you still can't purchase this as a kit, but bores of .684, .688 & .692 are available, .688 being the standard. Tips go from 10"-18". In reality you only need 3-4 backs at the most, paintballs are just not consistant enough to match an entire bag to one bore.

J&J Edge - I didn't get to use this kit a whole lot while I had it, I picked t up cheap at the '03 IAO. I sold it after some financial crisis. This honestly is probably the best bang for your buck. 4 backs and 1 front for near $110? Can't beat that! $20 for new tips (8"-16"), plus it comes in a nice hardase. Shot great, but was a pain to remove from my Cocker at the time (pneumatics). Only thing I do not like is the shortness of the control bore.

For me I like the ULs overall, easy to twist off of my SFL Minicocker, look great and shoot even better, but you can't ignore the value of the Edge... might get one for my next gun!