PDA

View Full Version : Anodizing a Chrome Micromag?

DiSoRdeR
12-10-2004, 06:36 PM
Ive heard anodizing a micromag cant be done and heard from others that it could. I have seen pictures of some that have been. My question is since mine is chrome, will stripping it and getting it anodized affect its tolerances alot?

Bossman
12-10-2004, 06:57 PM
Only aluminium can be anodized. Are the bodies on micromags aluminium? The bodies that regular mags use are stainless steel.(excluding ULE) You can plate the stainless, (which I do) but your limited in the kind of finish you can have. Ex: Brass, nickel, gold, chrome. Aluminium can also be plated which I have done before using nickel, great coating for shooting the barrel clean after a break!
Good luck.

DiSoRdeR
12-10-2004, 07:00 PM
Yes it is aluminum. Im pretty sure its chome but it could always be nickel plated, I do not know how to tell the difference.

RRfireblade
12-10-2004, 07:07 PM
It's Nickel Plated.

It will have to be stripped,have the inner steel support ring removed (in most cases) and then it can be blasted or polished depending on the anno finish desired.

It will definately have 'Some' effect on the tolerances but it's not really possible to say how much.The stripping process will like cause the most change so you want to use someone experienced in that process.In most cases any minor changes can be compensated for by a any decent Mag tech. I've NEVER had a Mag of any kind that I could not get back up and running in even the worst cases of mis-managed tolerances so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

DiSoRdeR
12-10-2004, 07:12 PM
Ive heard about people having problems with the inner steel ring, if it is removed how can it be put back in?

RRfireblade
12-10-2004, 07:16 PM
Put it in is easy...gettting out, now that's a whole 'nother story. If you can't have it done I'll do for a very minimal charge plus the cost of the new ring that you'll likely need. (~$5)

DiSoRdeR
12-10-2004, 07:19 PM
Ok, when my micromag is finished(upgrading it) and ready for ano i will contact you.

RRfireblade
12-10-2004, 07:21 PM
Sure thing. :)