PDA

View Full Version : ult and tank

mag88888
12-11-2004, 11:31 PM
ok i thought that the output of your tank didnt matter very much if if you had the ult. i thought that the shims changed the trigger. i heard that the tank will mean alot to the ult. i thought that that was for the rt on/off. am i wrong? i was gonna get a crossfire preset but should i get an adjustable. so im asking if the output changes the ult or the shims, which one? thanks.

FromTheBack
12-12-2004, 12:12 AM
Im not too sure about which it effects because I still havent mastered the inside of my mags yet but in my experiences this is what I have learned. From what a local mag tech has told me an adjustable tank makes a big differance, and it does. But if you get a preset that is the right output it should shoot alright. I had my dynaflow with adjustable on/off reg on it and it was nice to be able to adjust it and get the trigger reactivity just right, but when I moved this to my E-mag and just started using a screw in set to 850 I found that it was at a nice place with 1 shim in. It is your choice so I have to say try both if you can but an adjustable would be better overall because you can mess around with shim to input ratio.

shatter_storm
12-12-2004, 09:04 AM
A preset will work, an adjustable will let you tune it. The shims are one big part of the way the ULT works, but the input pressure is the other big part.
Think of it this way, you have a preset at 850 psi. You can use shims to either make the trigger slushy or snappy or even get it close to RT/FA. But once you have it at 0 shims or 8 shims (or as many shims as you have) - that's as far as you go.
With an adjustable tank, you can control the number of shims and the pressure to the valve, letting you take tuning further than you could without an adjustable tank.

On my setup, 4 shims and 1000 PSI to the tank lets me sweetspot the ULT. With my preset tank, there's no amount of shims that will let the trigger be sweetspotted.
If I dial down the pressure on my adjustable to 800-900 PSI, the trigger stays snappy but loses the RT effect - which is nice when I don't want to shoot as much paint.

What it comes down to is this. If you want to sweetspot/RT/full auto your mag, get an adjustable. Otherwise, save the money and get a preset. They'll work just as well for any normal setup.

mag88888
12-12-2004, 02:59 PM
i dont have enough money to get an adjustable. my only adjustable option would be the x stream. how are they, reliability, performance? and is it true that when the tank isnt gassed up it wiggles? ive heard that in alot of places. if i dont get the x stream then i would get the crossfire phat stubby 70 ci 4500 psi tank with a 850 psi output. its on action village for 200.