PDA

View Full Version : Questions for AGD-bore testing

Dave
11-07-2001, 03:26 PM
I have a question for AGD. When you were testing the consistency of paintball guns and testing to see if rifled barrels help and also how to get the best paint match, did you happen to use any commercially available barrels for any part of the test, or was it all using custom barrels?

The reason I ask is because I want to know AGD's opinion on a good barrel. Which barrels went really well in any official tests, and which ones might have had problems. Has AGD ever done testing involving barrels and after testing said to yourself, "man, that was a nice barrel!"

I have a DYE Xcel 14", and with it, it is just inconsistant enough to miss every time by a few inches. I don't know if this is a velocity prob or a bad paint match. I got the two 1/8 line down my barrel, but also there was the zipper effect like the ball bouced around. I have had a hard time finding a good paint for this barrel, and I am wondering if it is even the barrel or not. My gun is always freshly oiled and taken care of and it was put together by Rob about a month or two ago with all new seals and orings. Would I just need to get a Freak system to solve this? I have been thinking of the Lapco Bigshot also. I saw a barrel called Perfect Bore, but when I looked inside it, it didn't look perfect at all. The DYE looked a lot smoother than that one, but I don't know if thats what affects accuracy or consistency.

Basically, my question to AGD is:

Is there a commercially available barrel you have found to stand out from the rest when used in the Automag?

Dave
11-07-2001, 03:34 PM
Another question could be, what paints have you experimented with in what barrels for testing? If you have any good match tips, I am all ears.

-Dave

Muzikman
11-07-2001, 03:40 PM
I am no AGD nor am I a barrel expert. But the one piece of advice I have followed for years and will give to anyone. Get a case of the paint you shoot most often, go to your local proshop that has a wide verity of barrels and a place to test shoot and ask if you can try every mag barrel they have. Shoot them all and buy the one you like. I have lots of barrel and for the most part I have shot them all before buying (With the exception of my BOA barrels). This has never steered me wrong.

On a side note, unless you play lots of tournaments where paint brands always change, or if you play at many different fields with different paint. I see no reason to buy a Freak barrel system (or any other 2 piece interchangeable barrel systems). I also personally don't like the Freak System:)

AGD
11-07-2001, 04:43 PM
I tend to stay away from the barrel issues. My short and distinct answer is no.

AGD

Dave
11-07-2001, 04:55 PM
Thank you for your quick reply, and I understand, with so many different views on the barrels.:)

I emailed the guy about the custom barrels, in association with Wolf Hill Paintball. Does anyone have one of these? Has anyone tried a Lapco Bigshot?

-Dave

Dave
11-07-2001, 04:57 PM
man, I would definitely try out barrels first if I could. I just don't have a place around here with used automag barrels or new ones that people would be willing to let me try in my gun.

-Dave