PDA

View Full Version : Setting up Xbox Live

govnamac
12-13-2004, 11:32 PM
I will probably be getting an Xbox live for Xmas. I have a cable modem hooked up to my computer. I have a 4 way router to spilt the signal between my 4 computers. How do I go about hooking the Xbox live into the cable modem? What options are there? Do I have to buy a router with more ports? Will getting a wireless connection slow create lag while playing?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Koosh
12-14-2004, 04:42 AM
How far away will the xbox be from the router? How far will it be from another device on the network?

Just buy a switch, hook that to one port on the router, and you'll magically have another 4 ports...

B.A.M.
12-14-2004, 06:33 AM
If its close to you comp buy a connection wire (cat5 or 6). Cheapest i saw was one for $25. If its far like mine then you could spend $ on a wirless router and a ethernet reciver. THis option will cost a lot. For you moneys sake id just buy a ethernet cable cuz they can be like 75 ft long.

fire1811
12-14-2004, 11:45 AM
i have my ps2 set up wireless its awesome and no you wont notice anymore lag then normal

SCpoloRicker
12-14-2004, 01:17 PM
I've heard mixed things about using a wireless connection for a console. It may have to do with how much bandwith you have available. To make it work, I would assume you attach a wireless ethernet card to the CAT5 port on the back of the box. Then just make sure its within range of your transmitter.

I have my DSL line go into a 4 port router, and the router goes out to master bed, den, and family room. If you use a router, it should just be plug and play. I admit it took me a few hours, beers, and :cuss: but it really isn't that difficult.

GT
12-14-2004, 01:30 PM
i have my ps2 set up wireless its awesome and no you wont notice anymore lag then normal

How is yours setup? All of the ones I see in stores are 100+. way to much

Can_Opener
12-14-2004, 02:38 PM
If you want really big cables at a decent price, go to Menards (I know sounds weird), or find somebody that knows how to make them (and has the tools for it) make you some long ones, but the Menards where I live sells 50-100 foot cables for under $20.

If you already have a router, then you don't need another router, all you need is either an ethernet switch or ethernet hub (try to get the switch, they are better than hubs and only a little more expensive). Plug the hub/switch into the router, plug console into switch/hub and your router will give it an ip address just as if it were hooked up directly to the router.

I don't really think wireless is worth it unless you have a laptop, and especially because it is so expensive.

B.A.M.
12-14-2004, 03:05 PM
How is yours setup? All of the ones I see in stores are 100+. way to much
There are some good ones for under 100. Also i forgot when getting a wirles mode make sure its i think it g (says on the box). This is because a b only has 11mbs and a g has 54 mbs.

Kaiser Bob
12-14-2004, 04:42 PM
There are some good ones for under 100. Also i forgot when getting a wirles mode make sure its i think it g (says on the box). This is because a b only has 11mbs and a g has 54 mbs.

Who here is pullin over 11mb internet connection? Unless you are like really far from your access point, after overhead b should be more then enough for your broadband connection. It MIGHT be a bottleneck for the 6mbit cable that ive seen advertised lately but probably not and even so, no multiplayer game needs that kind of bandwidth anyway

fire1811
12-14-2004, 06:30 PM
kaiser Bob is correct i use a wireless b and have not problems.
i use this to hook up my ps2

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=38&prid=550

i already had a wireless router for my laptop, i run speedtests and connect at
2900 on desktop and with wireless laptop i connect at 2200k more then enough