PDA

View Full Version : Tac One or Upgrade My Level 7?

Chindi
12-15-2004, 09:56 AM
Hey all. I'm looking for opinions.

I have a Level 7 Powerfeed 68 Automag that I have been using since 1995. It's a great gun, and mostly stock (added the Powertube spacer kit way back in the day). I'm shooting a PMI Perfect Bore Ceramic 12'' barrel, and installed a two finger trigger on the stock polymer frame by cutting off the trigger guard.

The 'gun is still an awesome marker for me - reliable and shoots straight. I'm just getting back into the game after taking three or four years off and I'm looking at the new Tac One and drooling. I play all woodsball and scenario games - I got burned out on speedball by 2000.

My question is: How big a difference is there going to be between a new Tac One (setting style aside) and upgrading my 'Mag with a Level 10 kit and a new grip frame - probably an I-Frame? I'm not a fast shooter - always been satisfied with the 5-6 bps I could squeeze out of my classic 'Mag.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the input. Great board here. I met a bunch of AO'ers at Waynes World for the Grand Finale (hey Lee!) - great guys.

Mer
12-15-2004, 10:15 AM
If you can I'd go for the Tac One. It'll be lighter and perform better.

Eric

Asym
12-15-2004, 11:09 AM
If you can I'd go for the Tac One. It'll be lighter and perform better.
Please explain the perform better, please.

With a new Tac you'd get the newer X-valve. It is lighter and has a faster recharge rate but needs HPA. Older classic valves still shoot fine and have been shown to shoot up to at least 16bps without shootdown. The X-valve also will accept upgrades like the ULE trigger(ULT) kit to lighten the required pull on the trigger, the classics will also but are not recommended. Classic valves will also take level 10 unless you own a rental valve. X-valves are made of aluminum which do make them lighter also.

Mer
12-15-2004, 11:14 AM
You took care of that for me Asym. ;)

Faster recharge rate, comes with Level 10, able to accept the ULE Trigget (ULT).

I agree with all your points.

Thanks,

Eric

Chindi
12-15-2004, 01:01 PM
Right. I've been shootin HPA on my current 'Mag since '96 so I would just take that system over to the Tac One.

Now lighter is a good thing.... How much lighter are we talking?

ej_y4
12-15-2004, 01:10 PM
You took care of that for me Asym. ;)

Faster recharge rate, comes with Level 10, able to accept the ULE Trigget (ULT).

I agree with all your points.

Thanks,

Eric

You can also put a ULT in classic valves to ;) . I had one in mine for a year and it worked great, along with the level 10. But I ended up trading my classic valve into agd for an Xvalve. If your fine with 5-6 bps there really isnt any need to get an X-valve, other than X-valves are lighter.

Oh Ya almost forgot, Welcome to AO! :cheers:

Asym
12-15-2004, 01:59 PM
sorry can't answer how much lighter since I'm still using a classic with ULT and level 10.

Mer
12-15-2004, 02:17 PM
You can also put a ULT in classic valves to ;) . I had one in mine for a year and it worked great, along with the level 10. But I ended up trading my classic valve into agd for an Xvalve. If your fine with 5-6 bps there really isnt any need to get an X-valve, other than X-valves are lighter.

Oh Ya almost forgot, Welcome to AO! :cheers:

Let me clarify,

The "ULT" will fit in a classic valve but it is not recommended:

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=96538

Apparently getting it to work reliably is a hit or miss deal. You obviously got yours to work but apparently this has not been the case across the board.

The X-Valve is approx. half the weight of a classic valve. The ULE body is approx. half the weight of a standard body. I don't know how the Tac-One body compares to a standard body.

Sorry for any confusion,

Eric