PDA

View Full Version : Is Topgun Paintball any good???

bond1313
11-07-2001, 09:44 PM
I have heard good and bad things about it and need some more opinions. I have heard that there is alot of good woods fields, a few very good speedball fields, the refs are good and there is almost always a big cround. I have also heard that they are very unorganized, you wait forever to play, the paint prices are ridiculus, the paint you get is crap and its not owrth it since you play very few games. I usually play at Roughneck Paintball, Piccasso Paintball, Fireball Mountain or at On Target. I want to try some new fields though. Please give me some info on it.

Thordic
11-07-2001, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by bond1313
I I have heard that there is alot of good woods fields,

True... Most of thier woods fields are really good.

a few very good speedball fields,

Also true.. they have 4 very nice speedball fields. 3 3 - 5 man fields, and one 10-man sized field. (At least close enough, I never measured them :) )

the refs are good and there is almost always a big cround.

Put those two together.. both true. I've never had a problem with the refs there, they are unusually fair and willing to listen. Great refs overall. As for crowds, saturdays its PACKED, with like 60+cars in the lots. Sundays are a better day to go, i'll get into that in a bit.

very unorganized, you wait forever to play,

This is why saturdays are a bad day to go. Its so crowded that there are people everywhere, and things get confusing. Getting things organized in the morning becomes a mess, and its a royal pain. Sundays are less people, and a little more organized. More people = less games, because you have to wait for people to get off their keisters and play. The refs are a little TOO patient with people, thats the problem. People keep saying "Hold on a sec, my friend is coming" and they will wait. One of these days I need to tell Ray about this. Hopefully he listens :)

the paint prices are ridiculus, the paint you get is crap and its not owrth it since you play very few games.

As far as I can tell, compared to most fields, the prices are competitive. $80 a case, with discounts if you pre-register as a 3+ man team. Thats for TC, Polar Ice, or whatever other generic paint he has that day. $90 for marbs when he has them, but he doesn't carry them in the winter. As for paint quality, it's usually good. Ray has a temperature-controlled paint storage room on the premises, so if the paint is crappy, you can bet its not his fault. Every once in a while his supplier will send him crappy paint, but thats not too often. (Last time the polar ice was crappy, I'll admit, but usually it's good paint). As for not worth it sinc you play veyr few games, well, like I said, it depends on how many people are there that day. Also, if you are there with a decent sized team ( i noticed you are on PsychoMag's team) you guys can head over the Speedball fields as a team, and just play on them all day. You might want to call them up ahead of time to make sure they have the room for that, though.

Overall, I think its a great place to play. Generally, the level of players there is great. A decent amount of newbies, yes, but there are also a lot of mid to high-level players there as well, so you never get stuck in games where no one else has a clue whats going on.

A few teams you may have heard of that play there would be the Fallen Angels, Jerzey Storm, and the Black Knights.

Plus, myself, Tunaman, UDTSEAL, Riotz, TheRaidenProject, graycie, and a few other AO members call Top Gun home, so every day is an AO day :) (Well, at least when we all show up :) )

theraidenproject
11-08-2001, 01:28 PM
ive only been there once but i like it. i think its better then fireball mtn and paintball depot (the only other fields ive been to).
thordic - i dont know if i would call it "home" now, but i will soon b/c im moving closer to topgun in a couple months, and it will proabbaly be the closest field. i usually go to paintball depot with a couple friends b/c its closer for them)

Thordic
11-08-2001, 02:17 PM
Sorry, I thought you played there more often, I guess the fact I ran into you there was just a coincidence :)

theraidenproject
11-08-2001, 03:07 PM
thordic - no need to apologize. it wasnt actually a coincide, though, i saw the "topgun this sunday" thread (which you contributed to) and since id never been there before, i decided to head on down, b/c you and a couple other people said how good it was. i'll go in a couple months once i save up some $, tunaman helps me get a mag and i buy a n2 tank.

veteranmag
11-08-2001, 08:00 PM
In comparison with other fields I have played, Top Gun is really a speedball oriented field. Even the few "woods" fields they have are sparsely wooded and heavily dominated by large man-made objects. The result is heavy paint consumption!

The prices are on par with other fields in the NY/NJ area and the reffing, on the occasion I played, was adequate.

Check out Pinelands Park in NJ (near Great Adventure). They are well-organized and have moderately wooded fields. The paint is a bit more $ ($100/case).

I play regularly at Liberty paintball in Paterson, NY. They have decent fields and good prices, but their reffing is too laid back.

Of the fields you mentioned, which do you prefer. I am also looking for a new field.

bond1313
11-08-2001, 08:25 PM
Thanks for all the great nfo I will talk to my cappy and I think will will go on a sunday soon. I would have to say roughneck is the best field in my opinion, great reat refs. They are very nice and polit they have 8 wooded fields 1 speedbal, 1 sup-air field and there will be 3 more in december we are building them, it is our home field. There are alot of good tournies once a month and they have there own paintball leage. Tez (owner) has his own line of guns and its 25 bucks to get in. You can byop and he has paint a resonible pricses if you go on team pracices must be 5 of you or you can go on walk on days. Paint is like 55-60 for bigball and 75-850 for allstar, marbs or any other rps. I like the other fields to on-target is the next best they have some very good fields, hyperball, speedball and sup-air they also have 7 wooded fields. On sunday its byop its 25 to get in with free air. On target is only 10-15 minutes south of topgun. Picasso is okay and fireball mountain is not that good very unorganized.

graycie
11-08-2001, 11:02 PM
i've only been to pinelands once, the ticks freaked me out enough not to go back.

udtseal
11-09-2001, 12:12 PM
I would love to play at roughneck, i've only heard good things about it, but I was under the impression that its a team field only. Meaning, you must have a team to play. I was on thier website www.roughneckpaintball.com and I dident see anything about walk on days.

Otherwise, top gun is cool, i have fun thier. I want to check out On-Target some time.

StanBo
11-10-2001, 06:39 PM
I have played at Top Gun for a long time and their service has never changed. The people there were always friendly.

The refs will do what they can to help you. They will radio another ref to check another player when asked.

I haven't played at any other fields for a long time. I had tried Paintball LI and Liberty.

Saturdays are rough. There are big groups that are due in and the employees at top gun want to get them signed in and playing.

Print out the waiver forms and have your friends fill them out before you go there. I would try to show up early so that you can get signed in and playing quick.

Good luck.

ThePatriot
11-10-2001, 09:03 PM
Hey veteranmag....liberty paintball? seriously, man i lived like 10 mins from there and went all the time, in the winter its thunder ridge skiiing, i was in brewster, i thought it was a bit expensive but it was the only place around, perhaps i saw you one time, i dont think id remember or anything tho...im in FL now and no one on AO plays in FL....like no one at all

udtseal
11-11-2001, 06:28 AM
STANBO! You still playing this coming Saturday, the 17th, at Top Gun?? I will be there. Lemme know dude.

Tunaman
11-11-2001, 05:05 PM
Me too! We will be there. This is great weather for paintball!:D

StanBo
11-11-2001, 05:46 PM
I WILL BE THERE. There will be honda-tech guys there as well. It is planned as friendly and will stay that way.

Email or Im me!

bond1313
11-11-2001, 05:55 PM
I think me and some friends will make a trip up there this sunday.

udtseal
11-11-2001, 07:45 PM
Hey, awsome Bond!! Look for me driving the Blue VW Jetta Wolfsburg. Or look for the blue E-Mag! Maybe PsychoMag can come too!?

Tunaman: You live there dont you?! You'r ALWAYS there!! hahah! :D

bond1313
11-11-2001, 07:50 PM
I will ask it will probably me anh him with are retros and a few cockers.

bond1313
11-14-2001, 04:35 PM
Hey, I do not think we can make it, we have a team practice at on target on saturday. All of you are welcome to come. We get FREE AIR, FREE PLAY, FREE LUNCH all we have to do is but wholesale field paint. 50 for teamcolors and 55 for proball. Its a tech class they talk to us for 30-60 minutes and we play the rest of the day, its well worth it.

PsychoMag
11-14-2001, 05:21 PM
Hey BOND,
I am up for play at TOPGUN, but it is a bit pricey for what we are used to. I did try to set up a Team Practice up there, but the guy who answered the phone was very ignorant as I had told you. I had 5 full teams going to TOPGUN, and they wouldnt give us a discount for teams. We don't pay $80/case at a tourney, let alone a rec day. I don't even pay $80 at Skirmish for paint.
I am up for TOPGUN anyday. Let's do this in advance, I even have an AGD banner from IAO, huge banner maybe 3 x 8. We should put an AO day together, I am sure Tunaman can help us. I have 4 or 5 full paintball teams to play as well. Maybe we could put together a speedball only day.

Dogger

bond1313
11-14-2001, 05:53 PM
You don, count me in I will definetly do that, just let me now when we are doing it. I have to get the cash in advance, That would be graet to do a speedball day with all the other ao memeber. All of you are welcome to come to ontarget saturday you can not beat those prices.

PsychoMag
11-14-2001, 06:09 PM
Hey BOND I am getting Jim to join AO since I persuaded him into an RT Pro and not an Impy :)

bond1313
11-14-2001, 06:26 PM
lol, really I thought he was getting a demonic impulse, Knowing him he will get to sfl emags for him and his son.

bond1313
11-14-2001, 06:29 PM
Don, you have to clean out your mail box its full. In reaply to what you said. Shutup freak, I think rob, john M, Marcus, Me, and you. Corey can not come beause he has ballet (lol) and I think dan is helping out tez on saturday. You will have to call/email the rest to see who is coming.

rpm07
11-14-2001, 06:34 PM
Hey bond where is ontarget i never heard if it. It also could be that I am from north jersey thats why i havent heard of it.
thanks

bond1313
11-14-2001, 06:40 PM
Its about 10-15 minutes southeast of topgun paintball, there website is www.ontargetpaintball.com . Its a very nice field I like it alot, if you can come out and play saturday its only 50 bucks.