PDA

View Full Version : chrome,Nickel,silver, Raw, air polished ??????

KillingSpree
12-17-2004, 05:40 PM
Hey guys i have a minimag and i try to keep the colour theme chrome/black. now everytime i order a nickel or raw or chrome part (wtv chrome they call it) i always get parts in different shades of chrome. somemore shiny, some more dull. but this is starting to piss me off because im geting all sorts of different shades and it doesn't look as good :cry: Now can u guys tell me wats up with all theses shades and why dont they just keepit one basic colour??? thanx for the help guys!!

Chipper
12-17-2004, 05:41 PM
I really don't know why they can't keep 1 basic color of chrome or silver, I guess its because it would just be to hard.

Skywalker
12-17-2004, 05:51 PM
The same thing happen to me with my all chrome mag. My ULE body and Y grip have a hint of yellow to them: whereas, my Omega rail, drop, and foregrip have a slight blue hue to them. It kinda pissed me off too, but you really can't notice it unless your looking for it. Anyway, the answer to your question is I don't know why they have different shades. Sorry.

SlartyBartFast
12-17-2004, 05:58 PM
If it's not the exact same material, using the exact same process, and from the exact same batch, expecting them to match exactly is asking a little too much.

Why do you think you're supposed to mix paints before finishing a can, mix packets of tile, check batch numbers on wallpaper...

DiSoRdeR
12-17-2004, 07:13 PM
You best bet would be to send all the parts you want to be chromed or nickel plated so that they match.

Echo419
12-17-2004, 07:36 PM
Nickel is a finish, Raw is just metal, Polished is aluminum with a shine on it, Chrome i believe is a color, Silver is a color. There you go

Deep Sixx
12-18-2004, 12:22 AM
Nickel is a finish, Raw is just metal, Polished is aluminum with a shine on it, Chrome i believe is a color, Silver is a color. There you go

No. Nickel and Chrome are both plating processes. They are time consuming and expensive.

sixx

mobius
12-18-2004, 01:32 PM
The same thing happen to me with my all chrome mag. My ULE body and Y grip have a hint of yellow to them: whereas, my Omega rail, drop, and foregrip have a slight blue hue to them. It kinda pissed me off too, but you really can't notice it unless your looking for it. Anyway, the answer to your question is I don't know why they have different shades. Sorry.

This is because the AGD parts are Nickel plated. The Omega parts are chrome plated. Chrome is actually a slightly more durable finish, and it won't tarnish as easily. You're right, though, nickel has a slightly yellow or brownish hue, whereas chrome is almost a slight blueish.

The best way to solve this is either: find out which manufacturers use chrome vs. nickel and stick with one finish, or buy whatever you want and have it all plated to match. I had a couple local places quote me anywhere from $40 to $150 for several parts.

athomas
12-19-2004, 12:33 PM
Raw aluminum is, well, aluminum color. It will tarnish easily and is prone to wear.

Annodized aluminum is aluminum with an oxide layer grown on the outside. It can be a little whiter than raw aluminum but is very durable and easy to keep clean..

Nickle is plated onto the metal. It has a yellowish tint and is more durable than raw aluminum but tarnishes easily.

Crome is also plated onto metal. It is a nickle plating with a cobalt aditive. It is harder than nickle and the Cobalt gives it a bluer tint.

Depending on the plating process there are various degrees of hardness for each of the plating types.

KillingSpree
01-19-2005, 06:20 PM
thanx a lot guys. I can tell some ppl r smarter than me lol :p anyways i think im going to send all my parts to get chromed, i hope its not expensive lol. anyways thanx a lot again

maglover728
01-19-2005, 10:31 PM
Remember, no 2 identical parts are exactly the same!