PDA

View Full Version : Car detailing?

teufelhunden
12-18-2004, 05:27 PM
Alright, well, I want to keep my black car good and ninja-like ;)

However, I'm clueless as to how to do this. Obviously I need to wash it, but chances are I do it wrong. Also, I know I need to wax.. but I've been looking around and it seems there's a step in the middle, polishing. Also, what is a clay bar and what do I use it for?

Basically, I'm looking for a walk-thru of what to do. I've been looking around, and Google gives me a little bit, but I'm still having issues. Furthermore, I'm pretty much looking to be told exactly what to buy.

I've come across stuff that said what to do depends on where you live/drive/etc. Well, I live in Northern NJ, 40-45 miles from NYC. Winters here are often semi-rough, and sanded/salted roads are the norm. During the summer, it gets to 95ish on a hot day, with 90%+ humidity. Car is black mica.

Thanks. :)

Oh yeah, looking for a glossy finish and decent durability. A few months would be nice, although I'm sure I'm asking for the best of both worlds here.

BeaverEater
12-18-2004, 11:30 PM
Well i found this car soap that has wax already in it and it seems to make my car shine. I believe that when you dry it with a shammy(sp) clothe, it polishes in the wax. Its about 10 bucks for a 2 gallon tub of it and its well worth it.

Fred
12-19-2004, 01:12 AM
the soap you clean it with doesn't matter as long as it will wash away clean with water.

Get a decent natural fiber washing mit.

A buffing wheel is pretty much a must have.

Most recently I used a brand of wax that was off the shelf from Murray's (Autozone, Pep Boys, etc), i forget the name, Gold something. Came in a black bottle, good stuff.

Biggest trick is to keep the scratches from getting on there in the first place, black cars suck in that department, as breathing on it wrong will show an imperfection.

never wax in sunlight!

---Fred

Steelrat
12-19-2004, 01:17 AM
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

Look under tips and tricks. BTW, their stuff is about the best you can buy, and I'd recommend it in a heartbeat.

bornl33t
12-19-2004, 03:03 AM
Alright, well, I want to keep my black car good and ninja-like ;)

However, I'm clueless as to how to do this. Obviously I need to wash it, but chances are I do it wrong. Also, I know I need to wax.. but I've been looking around and it seems there's a step in the middle, polishing. Also, what is a clay bar and what do I use it for?

Basically, I'm looking for a walk-thru of what to do. I've been looking around, and Google gives me a little bit, but I'm still having issues. Furthermore, I'm pretty much looking to be told exactly what to buy.

I've come across stuff that said what to do depends on where you live/drive/etc. Well, I live in Northern NJ, 40-45 miles from NYC. Winters here are often semi-rough, and sanded/salted roads are the norm. During the summer, it gets to 95ish on a hot day, with 90%+ humidity. Car is black mica.

Thanks. :)

Oh yeah, looking for a glossy finish and decent durability. A few months would be nice, although I'm sure I'm asking for the best of both worlds here.

I had a black mustang, the cheapest most effective way I've found right now ( and I may be wrong, because I haven't nearly tried everything ) was to use some sort of car wax, ie turtle wax 2-3 times a year after a car wash, then about once a month use some type of spray on wax. The kinda that you spray and just wipe of. Mothers makes a bottle of the stuff that is really good and so does mguiliars ( I have no clue how that's spelled ) I haven't tried any others.
The clay bar if I remember right is supposed to strip a TINEY lay of paint off and is only supposed to be used one a year, but it's been a while since I've heard of anyone using them.
Whatever you do, don't use a buffer on your car, the swirlly marks ruin the shine. I got in a fender bender with my mustang and the body shop buffed the whole car when they were done, it looks terrible in my opinion.

PyRo
12-19-2004, 04:04 AM
I had a black mustang, the cheapest most effective way I've found right now ( and I may be wrong, because I haven't nearly tried everything ) was to use some sort of car wax, ie turtle wax 2-3 times a year after a car wash, then about once a month use some type of spray on wax. The kinda that you spray and just wipe of. Mothers makes a bottle of the stuff that is really good and so does mguiliars ( I have no clue how that's spelled ) I haven't tried any others.
The clay bar if I remember right is supposed to strip a TINEY lay of paint off and is only supposed to be used one a year, but it's been a while since I've heard of anyone using them.
Whatever you do, don't use a buffer on your car, the swirlly marks ruin the shine. I got in a fender bender with my mustang and the body shop buffed the whole car when they were done, it looks terrible in my opinion.

For a spray on wax meguires NXT is probably the best out there.
I don't think the clay bar strips paint, I think it just picks up particals that washing cannot. A cleaner, cleaner wax, or compound (don't use it) is an abrasive that strips away paint.
You can use a buffer just fine, the swirl marks are most likely from somone using a dirty pad.
Always have a clean rag, go to the store and buy rags just for your car, once they touch the ground they're garbage.

bornl33t
12-19-2004, 04:09 AM
For a spray on wax meguires NXT is probably the best out there.
I don't think the clay bar strips paint, I think it just picks up particals that washing cannot. A cleaner, cleaner wax, or compound (don't use it) is an abrasive that strips away paint.
You can use a buffer just fine, the swirl marks are most likely from somone using a dirty pad.
Always have a clean rag, go to the store and buy rags just for your car, once they touch the ground they're garbage.

Ah yeah, that sounds more reasonable. I used to know all this stuff, but since my car was vandalized by the bodyshop it's a lost cause to try and keep it looking nice. If anyone wants it let me know :D It's a 92 Gt convertable with 68K miles NEVER seen snow garaged, various mods 4500$.

PyRo
12-19-2004, 04:21 AM
I would have told the body shop they get to paint it now.

skife
12-19-2004, 11:13 AM
they buffed it wrong :(

LeatherPants
12-19-2004, 01:45 PM
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

Look under tips and tricks. BTW, their stuff is about the best you can buy, and I'd recommend it in a heartbeat.

Zaino isn't bad I've used their stuff. Found it harder to work with and not as much shine.

What I used to use for my show car was. Klasse You can do a search and find places that carry it.

I had a black car once. Never again. They look the best when clean but get dirty once you go around the block.

Here's what I would reccomend.

NEVER WASH OR WAX A BLACK CAR IN DIRECT SUN!!!!!!!!!!It will heat up and dry to fast causing spots and swirls in the paint.

1. Wash. Soap doesn't matter just don't use dishwasher detegent. It will strip all wax off your car. Mit just get a fluffy mit from where ever.

2. Dry I recommend the Absorber.

3. Swirls. There is a product called the Rejuvenator made by Malco. It can be used either by had or with a buffer. This is the BEST thing I found to get rid of swirls. Meguiers has Scratch X.. similar but not as good. Apply the let dry wipe off.

2. Polish. Klasse. Using a damp folded terry cloth apply then wipe off.

3.Wax/Sealant. Klasse Sealant or Flash Wax by Malco. Both are great products. Same thing. Use a damp folded terry cloth. Apply then wipe off.

Using a damp cloth is important it allows the wax to spead better and also not scratch your car with dry fibers.

This is what I can do with a white car....imagine a black one............

http://img155.exs.cx/img155/8456/shine24kp.jpg

dave p
12-19-2004, 07:06 PM
soap -turtle wax zipwax
wax -turtlewax sythetic formula
3m -hand glaze

wash the car
do the glaze once to get out the swirlies
turtle wax

only glaze once a year( or less )
wax 2-3 times a year
wash bi-weekly if possible

get a drying chamois
and a natural fiber washing pad

dont get wax on any plastic or glass, especially headlight covers.

PyRo
12-19-2004, 09:52 PM
No powders or dishsoaps.

LeatherPants
12-20-2004, 12:33 PM
Also if you are really trying to go the extra mile and actually "detail" your car I would stay away from off the shelf products. Even companies like Zymol make a generic version of thier product for Pep Boys type places and their better stuff for boutiques.

I would search online for specialty places. Off the shelf products are for people who wax their cars once of twice a year. People who do shows and detail often stay away from that stuff.

You can get Malco Products here:

http://www.showroomdetailproducts.com/orderproductsonline/

Another good place to get other stuff:

http://www.superiorcarcare.net/index.html

teufelhunden
12-20-2004, 08:05 PM
Well, I wouldn't say I'm looking to take it to shows.. I just want to protect my finish and look good/decent while doing it. I'd surely wax more than once or twice a year.. but I'm not looking to do it bi-weekly, ya know?

brianlojeck
12-21-2004, 07:50 PM
A clay bar is an abrasive meant for smoothing out drips after spraypainting.

it's current marketing status as a cleaning tool is just that, marketing.

if you dont' clean furniture with sandpaper, don't use clay. if you screw things up you can really screw things up.

ditto for powered polishing tools.

The best way to prevent swirls is to always clean/polish/wax in STRAIGHT LINES. Mr. Miyagi was wrong! swirls show up best at a 90 degree angle to the scratch, if you use round strokes then you're always going to be 90 degrees away from some mark, and be able to see it. if you use straight lines then there will only be one small area where you see the marks, and the rest of the time the car will look better.

of course, I only know all this from dealing with freinds who are car nuts. I use the $6 automatic drive-through car wash/wax at the gas station. ;-)

mwsriders
12-21-2004, 08:08 PM
I have a black 97 grandam gt . I use turtle wax colored wax. It is black in color and makes the color really deep. I also use maguiars nXt car wash. Make sure you use a car wash not dish soap because dish soap will strip that nice wax job right off your car.

LeatherPants
12-22-2004, 12:48 AM
A clay bar is an abrasive meant for smoothing out drips after spraypainting.

it's current marketing status as a cleaning tool is just that, marketing.

if you dont' clean furniture with sandpaper, don't use clay. if you screw things up you can really screw things up.

ditto for powered polishing tools.

The best way to prevent swirls is to always clean/polish/wax in STRAIGHT LINES. Mr. Miyagi was wrong! swirls show up best at a 90 degree angle to the scratch, if you use round strokes then you're always going to be 90 degrees away from some mark, and be able to see it. if you use straight lines then there will only be one small area where you see the marks, and the rest of the time the car will look better.

of course, I only know all this from dealing with freinds who are car nuts. I use the $6 automatic drive-through car wash/wax at the gas station. ;-)

I agree 100% with the straight lines but not the clay.

Have you ever noticed that no matter how much you wax and polish certain panels especially the rear bumper or trunk deck still are not smooth?

If you look closely you can see specks in your paint. These road deposits require the clay or clay type baar to remove them. If you take one of these specks and look closley they look like tiny drops of solder. Most of the time it is brake dust that burns in to the paint. The Clay really isn't an abrasive. Think of it more like how you would remove somthing of a piece of glass.

You don't win first place trophies with just wax and polish......trust me.

AcemanPB
12-22-2004, 01:05 AM
http://autopia-carcare.com/freeguide.html