PDA

View Full Version : Lens "Punch Through" Pics.

M-a-s-sDriver
12-19-2004, 12:24 PM
Thought you guys would dig this one.
At Pump day in Sacramento yesterday, I had this shot dislodge the tabs on my invision and get to the inside of the mask.
Wharfrat has one of thos cheap metal storage buildings on his field, and he cut windows in each side of it so you can shoot through it.
I knew there was a player on the other side, and he knew I was there too. We both came out and shot each other in the head. I popped him in the center of the lens, and his hit on the brigde of the Dye's nose.
It was funny to see everyone's reaction because you just never see paint around someones eyes.
Anyway, the lens did it's job against a five foot shot. :headbang:
For general info: Lens was bramd new, I know it was seated correctly because I just put in and checked it last week, and his gun was cronoed and shooting probably 260-290.
Brent.

50 cal
12-19-2004, 01:01 PM
Very lucky you didn't get shell in your eyes.

Quick, go buy a lottery ticket.

AGDlover
12-19-2004, 01:04 PM
send thoughs pics to dye and see what they say coupple more shots and you would have been :argh:

Bulldog
12-19-2004, 01:15 PM
Yikes! :eek: Glad you're ok. Maybe it's time to pick up that Profiler I've been looking at....

ej_y4
12-19-2004, 02:26 PM
Lucky man!

looks like its time to go pick up a new mask. Just be glad it wasnt speed ball :eek:

White_Noise
12-19-2004, 02:30 PM
i had a problem like that happen when i was playing a tourney. me and a guy from the other team didnt know that the other person was on the other side of the center 50 bunker. we both went for teh flag, and ended up ea shooting each other a few times in the head. when i walked off the field and cleaned off my lens, there was a crack running straight down the center of the mask, one or 2 more hits and the seconadary thermal lense wouldve broken too.

Chronobreak
12-19-2004, 02:40 PM
like u said glad it was a 1 shot....(as far as i know lense regualtion hasnt changed in years)

if it had been 2-3 or mroe... :argh: :nono: ive seen jt mask x-fire pop aprat at the bridge too.

thats bad

WenULiVeUdiE
12-19-2004, 03:03 PM
Give Dye a ring. They'd love to hear about this. Maybe they'll send you a new one for free.

AcemanPB
12-19-2004, 03:08 PM
Just be glad you were playing with pumps.

Rift
12-19-2004, 03:40 PM
Damn thats intense either that point is weak or that was some incredible force to get those lenses to pop out like that.

manike
12-19-2004, 03:56 PM
There are ASTM rules on how large piece of shell can come through into the eye area.

Judging by those pics I wouldn't be too happy about wearing those goggles.

Are you sure the lens was in properly?

Beemer
12-19-2004, 08:56 PM
There are ASTM rules on how large piece of shell can come through into the eye area.

Well the way I read it that would be none.

when i walked off the field and cleaned off my lens, there was a crack running straight down the center of the mask, one or 2 more hits and the seconadary thermal lense wouldve broken too.
This = Failure

8.2 Openings—All openings in the EPD, such as those for
ventilation, shall be designed in a manner that prevents direct
impacts by paintball fragments to the eyes.

7.2.5.4 After each impact, remove the protector from the
headform carefully so as not to impart any paint from the
protector’s outer surface to the headform. Examine the headform
for evidence of failure as defined in 4.2.1.

4.2.1 No contact by components of the EPD or paintball
fragments with the orbital area of the headform shall be
permitted when tested in accordance with Section 7.
4.2.2 Any visible fracture of the lens or frame constitutes a
failure.
4.2.3 Any dislodging of the lens from the frame constitutes
a failure.
4.2.4 Any dislodging of a lens retention component from
the lens constitutes a failure.
4.2.5 Any dislodging of an EPD from the face protection
component to which it is attached constitutes a failure.

EPD= Eye Protection Device

tony3
12-19-2004, 09:40 PM
Another reason for me to dislike dye masks.

FireITup14
12-19-2004, 09:48 PM
are there like alot of problems that people have been getting with the invison? i was lookin into a new mask and i see this one around alot, might looking into a profiler

XbeasleyX
12-19-2004, 10:19 PM
Now I like my Pro-Flex even more, first time I took the lens out took me 10 minutes so I know for sure they wont pop out.

Wc Keep
12-19-2004, 10:49 PM
this may be a freak occurance ive been using my invisions for over a year and a half with nothing remote to this happening.

M-a-s-sDriver
12-19-2004, 11:50 PM
Manike: I can only say that I'm 99% sure they were seated correctly.
Dyes are obviously either "in" or "out", and as far as I can tell they were snapped into place.
I have at times popped the mask away from the lens frame for ventilation in the summer, but never the lens from the frame.
It may mean nothing, but I really felt the shot. I think it was just one of those perfect things.
As for safety, I had far more problems with mask failures using JT's than any other. Things like frame cracks, strap clasp breaks where the thing just fell off my head in a game, and hairline lens fractures. Others I know have had Zero problems.
I actually have 4 sets of invisions, 3 in my bag at all times, plus extra lenses, and I intend to keep using them exclusively. (About the only DYE thing I like)
I would say all masks are pretty much the same thing, I just happen to like Dye's fit, sight lines, and breathing capability better than the others. If it were me, I would never wear a face mask, just goggles, and Dye's come closer than anyone else to that ideal for me.
Brent.

Rather
12-20-2004, 12:02 AM
for the people talking aout profilers, just make sure you have at least one clip in... if not both... and that they ARE in... i've seen a guy playing a game (b'slap guy I believe) and as he was walking off from getting shot... i see somethign fall on the ground.. that would be his lenses..... the shot poped his gogs out of the frame.... those clips are there for a reason. :nono:

Halliday
12-20-2004, 12:07 AM
Did your DYE lens actually crack, or just let paint thru? Either way I think there is a design flaw or a manufacturing defect.

RoadDawg
12-20-2004, 02:00 AM
Noice. Glad I went with a profiler over an Invision. Glad to see you still have two eyes (one or both not being a bloody mess)

thereal_JT
12-20-2004, 01:04 PM
i had a JT mask and went to bunker one guy and there ended up being 2 (we were also playing pump) anyways i got my guy i knew was there and the other guy gogged me from like 5 feet....it put a nice little spider web crack in the lens...i just stopped using that mask that day.

JT

Vanced
12-20-2004, 02:00 PM
i had a JT mask and went to bunker one guy and there ended up being 2 (we were also playing pump) anyways i got my guy i knew was there and the other guy gogged me from like 5 feet....it put a nice little spider web crack in the lens...i just stopped using that mask that day.

JT

Yeah I had a similar thing happen with a JT Flex ... Took one on the bridge of the nose from a couple yards... Hit at an odd upward angle, put about 1-1/2" crack through the outer lens... And the lens was on it's 2nd day of play... So it does happen... I currently wear a Dye Invision, but I don't think this really is common a problem. I am pretty sure all masks have failed, given the right situation...

magmonkey
12-20-2004, 03:59 PM
I had a JT flex ice (date mark on lense) 08-00 crack down the center through the lense and thermal

Mr. Mouse
12-20-2004, 04:33 PM
good thing i have a profiler :) my old mask was a jt ize and it worked great but i wanted profilers my other mask is all goofed up i gotta fix it sometime but whatever

coyote
12-20-2004, 05:11 PM
That looks like black shelled GAP with green fill...

Last pumpday on the same field (couldn't make this one) I had a lens crack. It was a year and a half old though, and that means the it was due for replacement.

I am going to be the optimist of this group. The mask, even in failure, protected the user.

MonsterMag
12-20-2004, 07:26 PM
Glad your ok , Me and my teammates (2 emags 1 xmag) shot a crappy 32* mask from about 15ft away after about 10sec of shooting it cracked and shattered :eek:

Now what if that actually happened durning a game? :argh:

WARPED1
12-20-2004, 07:38 PM
I've seen that happen. But usually to JT's, JT became crap when BE bought tyhem. Example: before BE 0 recalls, since BE boght JT, 2 recalls.

manike
12-20-2004, 08:05 PM
Glad your ok , Me and my teammates (2 emags 1 xmag) shot a crappy 32* mask from about 15ft away after about 10sec of shooting it cracked and shattered :eek:

Now what if that actually happened durning a game? :argh:

If that happened during a game then you and your team mates should be charged with assault.

2 E-mags and an X-mag at a conservative 10bps would mean 100 shots each into someone's head... So that's 300 balls into someones head in 10 seconds!

Nothing is designed to withstand that.

If that was to ever happen to someone playing then I hope charges would be filed. :cuss:

Wc Keep
12-20-2004, 09:45 PM
If that happened during a game then you and your team mates should be charged with assault.

2 E-mags and an X-mag at a conservative 10bps would mean 100 shots each into someone's head... So that's 300 balls into someones head in 10 seconds!

Nothing is designed to withstand that.

If that was to ever happen to someone playing then I hope charges would be filed. :cuss:

damn i knew manike to be a smart guy i didnt think he would mess up 100+100 which in essence is 1+1

B.A.M.
12-20-2004, 09:50 PM
Another reason for me to dislike dye masks.
true. Give me a jt spectra any day

manike
12-20-2004, 09:52 PM
damn i knew manike to be a smart guy i didnt think he would mess up 100+100 which in essence is 1+1

And I thought you were smart until you missed the part about 2 Emags, which in essence is (2 X 1) + 1....

:D

Who's your daddy?

Pate
12-20-2004, 10:15 PM
haha good one manike :rofl:

gc82000
12-20-2004, 10:30 PM
man I would fell really dumb right now if that was me. :D nah I wouldn't

Then again... ;)

Twitch04
12-21-2004, 03:09 PM
i ref at a local field and man ive seen some wierd things with lenses. My favorite would have to be a player turns in his mask after a speed ball game and the next week we were putting them on the table for renters and there were spyder cracks everywhere. it took a week for those cracks to show up but just think what could have happened had they shown up right away. :shooting: :argh:

ilikePB
12-21-2004, 11:18 PM
this may be a freak occurance ive been using my invisions for over a year and a half with nothing remote to this happening.
Same here.