PDA

View Full Version : one peice body to two peice

spasticsquirrel
12-19-2004, 03:46 PM
i was wondering the price difference to manufacture a one peice body or two peice, and which one is cheaper. just like an estimate.

AND im just wondering...... nothing else.

FreakBaller12
12-19-2004, 03:55 PM
I would guess 2, because it has to go through the mill two times and takes twice as long which will cost more money.

Deltree
12-19-2004, 04:12 PM
it depends i guess if you were cnc'ing itd be cheaper to do one piece but generally i think 2 would be cheaper. I like to use tippmann as an example. The pro-carb is their most expensive marker because it is milled out of a solid chunk of steel. the A5 and 98c are made from two seperate molds which create the two body parts. obviously its cheaper to mold two chunks of molten steel than it is to mill out one peice.

White_Noise
12-19-2004, 08:47 PM
it depends i guess if you were cnc'ing itd be cheaper to do one piece but generally i think 2 would be cheaper. I like to use tippmann as an example. The pro-carb is their most expensive marker because it is milled out of a solid chunk of steel. the A5 and 98c are made from two seperate molds which create the two body parts. obviously its cheaper to mold two chunks of molten steel than it is to mill out one peice.

this is true, however you have a problem cause youre comparing 2 different styles of manufacturing, and not just say 1 milled piece vs 2 milled pieces(like emags vs mags/sfls)

with that, id say that it all depends on the extent of the milling involved as well as other features(removable breech in the case of xmags/sfls)

spasticsquirrel
12-19-2004, 09:19 PM
actualy, couldn't airgun desings make like a cheap mag, because how many more people buy low end markers than high, i say a lot more. I think it might be a good idea to compete with tippmann for a tiny bit before all the lawsuits clear out. Make a tippmann like body out aluminum or ss, and a remake of the classic valve out of aluminum or ss again. Add autococker threads, or have interchangable threading like the A-5, and that was pretty cool. slap on a single trigger that can easily be changed to a double trigger at low costs ($30-40), angel feed neck and ball detents, and theres a nice new automag...

but im just some kid giving their opinion, not airguns buisness advisor or something along those lines.

Deltree
12-19-2004, 09:24 PM
this is true, however you have a problem cause youre comparing 2 different styles of manufacturing, and not just say 1 milled piece vs 2 milled pieces(like emags vs mags/sfls)

with that, id say that it all depends on the extent of the milling involved as well as other features(removable breech in the case of xmags/sfls)exactly why i said that if you are cnc milling it would be cheaper to do one piece in most cases.

slade
12-19-2004, 09:47 PM
heh when i saw the title i thought you took a katana to a one piece body and took pictures or something :ninja: :p .

yeah it depends on what kind of body you are talking about, if you are talking about a one piece like a ule/karta/tac one compared to a two piece like an xmag/sfl e-mag, of course the two piece will take extra time to make and be harder to make, because you have to have the pieces fit together and maintain the tolerances (this is ignoring the time put into the actual design milling, as in the difference btw a ule and karta.) but if you are talking about a ule vs a tippmann, then obviously the tippmann is cheaper. the tippmann is made two piece because it does not need high tolerances to function (thats partially why they are virtually indestructable) so it is a lot cheaper to make two die cast halves of a body than a cnc milled complete one piece body. since it is die cast they can also make the materials cheaper, and use steel instead of aluminium. according to tom, a complete tippmann body costs ~$10; a mag body costs more than that in just the aluminium needed to make it.