PDA

View Full Version : car audio subwoofer help

skife
12-20-2004, 12:15 PM
i just aquired a 10" sony xplod 800w sub for free.
it isn't in a box, how do i go about hooking this up, also how do i go about building a box for this?

cletus
12-20-2004, 10:46 PM
Step 1. Drive to Walmart.

Step 2. Find the cheapest box and a cheap amp that says 800w (cheaper the better)

Step 3. Before you leave get a wiring kit too.

Step 4. Throw everything together and listen...hear that? Thats the sound of total crap.

Hey at least you got it for free :)

But seriously if i were you i would just burn the thing but if you wanna put some money into it follow the above steps

skife
12-20-2004, 10:52 PM

Step 2. Find the cheapest box and a cheap amp that says 800w (cheaper the better)

Step 4. Throw everything together and listen...hear that? Thats the sound of total crap.

But seriously if i were you i would just burn the thing but if you wanna put some money into it follow the above steps

gee thanks for the help :P

i was looking for some info on wireing it and if i need an amp or anything at all.

Miscue
12-20-2004, 11:57 PM

I agree!

Miscue
12-21-2004, 12:00 AM
gee thanks for the help :P

i was looking for some info on wireing it and if i need an amp or anything at all.

Well, what do you have right now? You can't just throw in a subwoofer - you need a deck with pre-outs. I suppose you could use line-drivers from a stock radio, but I cringe just thinking about that.

cletus
12-21-2004, 12:34 AM
I guess you could do like my friend did. He made a box out of some scrap wood laying around his garage, put the sub in that, and then hooked up the two rear channels to the sub. rear-left positve + rear-right positive to the sub positive and then rear-left negative + rear-right negative to the sub negative.

The result? Well ill just put it this way...the sub was making sounds and he was happy. So I guess you could do that and hope for the best.

You have to plan on putting a lot of money into a system or your just gonna be disappointed.

I would get much more enjoyment out of just lighting the thing on fire rather than listening to it but thats me.

Miscue
12-21-2004, 12:55 AM
You have to plan on putting a lot of money into a system or your just gonna be disappointed.

I would get much more enjoyment out of just lighting the thing on fire rather than listening to it but thats me.

Yup. Not to be harsh, but a good sub box is worth more than that sub. I'd sell it or something.

skife
12-21-2004, 12:57 PM
Well, what do you have right now? You can't just throw in a subwoofer - you need a deck with pre-outs. I suppose you could use line-drivers from a stock radio, but I cringe just thinking about that.

i've got a kenwood deck, it does have the RCA out's on it.

TMAXXKING1
12-21-2004, 01:11 PM
go on ebay look for a q logic single sub enclosure you can prob do this for under 30 shipped ...
bandpass
or ported ..

i would not go sealed with a sony sub...

pick up a cheap amp like a dhd or kohler 200 X 200
prob around 60 bucks

pick up a 10 guage wire kit ...... there are plenty of them on ebay for under 25

make sure the kit has rca's remote lead and a ground wire

make sure you get the right length kit ... simle idea measure the car from the deck to the trunk and add like 5 ft to be able to tuck the wires under the carpet .....

you are looking at about an hour for someone that has never wired a system up before ...

skife
12-21-2004, 01:48 PM
thank you tmaxx king, you are the first person to give me a good answer.

Miscue
12-21-2004, 09:53 PM
thank you tmaxx king, you are the first person to give me a good answer.

It's not a good answer. Believe it or not, the answers you did not want to hear are the best answers.

QLogic is the Wal-Mart enclosure - garbage. A 200x200 Watt amp for $60? First of all, it's a 200x2 if it's two channels... not 200x200. Second, you should get a mono amp, preferrably D-Class but it really doesn't matter with that caliber of a sub. Third, I won't go into detailed explanation... but consider this: A good 100x2 amp could cost $200+.

This recommendation may be what you want to hear, but it's investing money into something that will suck. I'm telling you - just the sound dampening material of a properly done audio system costs more than that sub you got. I personally think it is a waste of time to put money into it. You're much better off getting a decent amp for your front stage and good fronts.

Only an hour to wire it for the first time? HELL NO. You'll be staring at it for an hour trying to figure out what to do next.

cletus
12-22-2004, 10:30 AM
It's not a good answer. Believe it or not, the answers you did not want to hear are the best answers.

Miscue speaks the truth. The only thing that will come out of you putting money into that sub is you being pissed off that you wasted your money. If you actually want to have a good sounding system in you car its going to cost quite a bit as miscue pointed out.

Only an hour to wire it for the first time? HELL NO. You'll be staring at it for an hour trying to figure out what to do next.

Hahaha, its so true. I remember wiring my first car. I couldn't find a hole in the firewall if my life depended on it. Man did I feel stupid when i finally found one right next to steering column :)