PDA

View Full Version : Stiffi Switch or poison arrow for my XMAG

Suspect John
12-22-2004, 11:24 AM
I'm looking for a new barrel for my xmag. Anyone use the switch or poison arrow and can give me some input. Thanks, John

Lohman446
12-22-2004, 11:27 AM
:shooting: :ninja: :eek: :shooting: :confused: :clap: :dance: :D :cool:

The poison arrow by the design I saw at Chicago can modify the porting (a slip tube) and by that nature alone you can change velocity on field without tools, thus making it illegal to most tournaments.

The stiffi, well it may be a nice barrel, seems overpriced to me, and you would be as well served looking at some of the other kits unless the bit of weight is that important to you.

So its not good input, of the two though I'd take the stiffi as the better for rule issues.

REDRT
12-22-2004, 12:32 PM
:shooting: :ninja: :eek: :shooting: :confused: :clap: :dance: :D :cool:

The poison arrow by the design I saw at Chicago can modify the porting (a slip tube) and by that nature alone you can change velocity on field without tools, thus making it illegal to most tournaments.

The stiffi, well it may be a nice barrel, seems overpriced to me, and you would be as well served looking at some of the other kits unless the bit of weight is that important to you.

So its not good input, of the two though I'd take the stiffi as the better for rule issues.

The porting has no effect on the velocity of the Poison. Or at least non noticeable. Beening my team and I all use it i can give you the low down on it. I haven't used the switch, ok. The switch is a tad lighter, but the Poison isn't a tank. Bore sizes that are available are .686, .688, .690, .692. The Pro kit comes with 3 tips, 3 BAC or (bore size sleeves) and one backer. The thing shoots darts. With our mags there is very little chance of breaking a ball, but if it ever does the poison will shoot through it. With the 2 longer tips it has a slide to open up a second set of ports to allow broken paint to escape. I have never needed to. The smaller tip is so short there is no slide. We have tested the barrels. Held them to a tree and fired 8 balls in it! Big mess right! Wipe open the slide and fired right through the mess and +90% accuracy was obtainned in about 3-5 balls. It was the coolest thing I have ever scene. On the airball field I'm firing the emag as fast as she can fly. If I ever had a break, I never noticed. A squeegee is a thing of the past with a Poison. In testing the barrel, we had a M80 in it and was blowen up! It was then shot through with no accuracy loss! Try that with any thing else. We even ran the case it comes in with a Crown Vic with no damage to the barrels or the case. In my mind it is the best I have ever used!!
Down falls of it. It is loud. It isn't stealth sniper barrel. The cost of the pro set is $289 so I guess that is adverage. Though it came in colors at first I'm thinking black is just available right now. Call Jason or John at 1-608-755-1640 to find out what is available.

I hope this will help you. Any more questions feel free to ask. Check out www.smootherthanglass.com on the Poison Arrow. Or call the shop.

webmstrk9
12-22-2004, 12:55 PM
Personal preference would be for the stiffi switch or the CCM Carbon Graphite kits. They're one in the same, the differences are just cosmetic. Either of the 2 kits are light, quiet, and durable. With most aftermarket barrels, they'll shoot straight as long as the balls arent heavily dimpled and there isnt a 50 mph cross wind. :) Stated in the above post, the CCM/Stiffi kits could be shipped to you for less than 200. The CCM kit I ordered had 7 backs and a single front for 170 shipped. I'm unsure as to what is packaged with the Poison kit, but 279 for a kit? I presume that is with 3 fronts as well as multiple backs.

It's all personal preference, if you can find someone at your field which has a stiffi try it out.

68magOwner
12-22-2004, 02:46 PM
just got a brand new creamic J&J edge kit from first call paintball for $75 shipped (blowout sale), played with it last sat, shot very nice, and cost less than 1 stiffi, much less the switch kit

Lohman446
12-22-2004, 03:28 PM
The porting has no effect on the velocity of the Poison. Or at least non noticeable. Beening my team and I all use it i can give you the low down on it. I haven't used the switch, ok. The switch is a tad lighter, but the Poison isn't a tank. Bore sizes that are available are .686, .688, .690, .692. The Pro kit comes with 3 tips, 3 BAC or (bore size sleeves) and one backer. The thing shoots darts. With our mags there is very little chance of breaking a ball, but if it ever does the poison will shoot through it. With the 2 longer tips it has a slide to open up a second set of ports to allow broken paint to escape. I have never needed to. The smaller tip is so short there is no slide. We have tested the barrels. Held them to a tree and fired 8 balls in it! Big mess right! Wipe open the slide and fired right through the mess and +90% accuracy was obtainned in about 3-5 balls. It was the coolest thing I have ever scene. On the airball field I'm firing the emag as fast as she can fly. If I ever had a break, I never noticed. A squeegee is a thing of the past with a Poison. In testing the barrel, we had a M80 in it and was blowen up! It was then shot through with no accuracy loss! Try that with any thing else. We even ran the case it comes in with a Crown Vic with no damage to the barrels or the case. In my mind it is the best I have ever used!!
Down falls of it. It is loud. It isn't stealth sniper barrel. The cost of the pro set is $289 so I guess that is adverage. Though it came in colors at first I'm thinking black is just available right now. Call Jason or John at 1-608-755-1640 to find out what is available.

I hope this will help you. Any more questions feel free to ask. Check out www.smootherthanglass.com on the Poison Arrow. Or call the shop.

He's used it, I haven't - I made the assumption, which still seems logical, that if you moved the sleeve thing to expose those ports it would change the chrono speed.

thecavemankevin
12-22-2004, 03:52 PM
after reading the site for the poison arrow, it seems as though they say it "self cleans." With the way most guns now days either have eyes or other wise and shouldn't chop....i dont understand the need to spend close to three hundred on this. Am i missing something?

SlartyBartFast
12-22-2004, 03:57 PM
i dont understand the need to spend close to three hundred on this. Am i missing something?

You and me both. I don't understand the need to spend 300$ on a collection of threaded tubes. Then, to believe that the tolerances of these things are what they claim to be, and to then fiddle with which to use for paintballs that aren't anywhere near consistent, to obtain an increase in accuracy or consistency only measurable or noticeable if you clamped the marker in a vice and charted where the shots went. :rolleyes:

Whatever.
[/rant]

REDRT
12-22-2004, 04:12 PM
They have blowen away others that we have tried like boomsticks, Freak, Evil Pipe. They are high buck, but high quality. If your going to spend $1000 to $1500 on a marker what is $289 for the pro kit. Also if you don't need all of that, just piece it. Buy what you need and save the cash.

Enemy
12-22-2004, 04:13 PM
You and me both. I don't understand the need to spend 300$ on a collection of threaded tubes. Then, to believe that the tolerances of these things are what they claim to be, and to then fiddle with which to use for paintballs that aren't anywhere near consistent, to obtain an increase in accuracy or consistency only measurable or noticeable if you clamped the marker in a vice and charted where the shots went. :rolleyes:

Whatever.
[/rant]
he was commenting on the fact that the majority of markers out there dont break paint anymore or atleast shouldnt.. i could find better ways to spend my 300 bucks than a self cleaning barrel oh and my pipe kit which is half the cost cleans itself out very well within say 20 shots!

Lohman446
12-22-2004, 06:18 PM
My freak kit (stainless, the aluminum doesn't do this) cleans itself out in about half a dozen shots when I am using a close paint to barrel match - you still get the occassional winger from a bit of paint left but most of them were reasonably on target. And this is a whole ball broken in the barrel and left there, we tested it one day at the field and the owner ordered in a dozen right after we did. As stated there are several other barrel kits that clean themselves pretty well for the just in case situations. I think if I was using a closed bolt marker and not shooting a large diamater barrel I might be more concerned about barrel breaks.

evo.end3R
12-22-2004, 06:30 PM
kits are worthless its a waste of money, just get either a 691 or 693 stiffi, its all you need. i have a 689 but were sponsored by national and all draxxus paint will fit 689.

Suspect John
12-22-2004, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the input so far.

68magOwner
12-22-2004, 07:27 PM
kits are worthless its a waste of money, just get either a 691 or 693 stiffi, its all you need. i have a 689 but were sponsored by national and all draxxus paint will fit 689.

not quite true, i wanst gonna get a barrel kit till i found the edge kit for the price of 1 decent barrel, and i am very happy with it, before i just thought, hey, if its not breaking paint cuz its to small, its fine, but, now having used a kit, i do notice tighter shot groupings and more consistent velocity with a bore that matches well

evo.end3R
12-22-2004, 07:40 PM
not quite true, i wanst gonna get a barrel kit till i found the edge kit for the price of 1 decent barrel, and i am very happy with it, before i just thought, hey, if its not breaking paint cuz its to small, its fine, but, now having used a kit, i do notice tighter shot groupings and more consistent velocity with a bore that matches well

i talked to a few pros and some of the guys working at world cup and they all said the same thing, barrel kits have no affect on accuracy, only on efficiency. so just get a barrel with a bore that you know your safe with for anypaint693, or 691, and for me 689 and thats all you need, no need on wasting antoher 100 bucks for another 200 shots.

evo.end3R
12-22-2004, 07:41 PM
even detroit strange doesnt match bore=paint. they shoot suitcase hellfire, which fits a 684 bore and they use 693 inserts on their freaks. doesnt affect accuracy at all, i have shot some of their shockers.

REDRT
12-23-2004, 01:02 AM
With the freak there is a gap between the backer and the breatch. The there is no gap between the the Poison Arrow. The Arrow is more accurate...

evan123
12-23-2004, 02:16 PM
One cp 2 piece .691 back. All you need plus it saves some money on the wallet

lord1234
12-23-2004, 02:18 PM
john, catch up with me on AIM and i can tell you about the Sanchez Machine barrel system. Much better than the stiffi or the poison arrow and slightly cheaper as well...

--Lord

lord1reborn on AIM.

abunkerer
12-24-2004, 01:30 AM
kits are unnecessary, and the poison arrow barrel is silly...
Just buy a any old big bore barrel like a .693, and forget about barrel breaks ever again. A teammate shooks a 14" .696 rekka out of his DM4, no barrel breaks ever, and consistency is just as good as my other teammates Dm4 with a .689 UL.
I've shot lots of barrels trying to find one that "shoots better" had the early smart parts barrels, Dye stainless barrels, Ultralights of all sizes, had a stiffi, warped sports barrles, a freak kit and a scepter. I found that they all perform the same, some are "quieter" than others and some are heavier than others, but that's it.
I now I shoot a 14" CP because it is quiet, inexpensive and I like the way it feels on the gun.