PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone battery life

Will Wood
12-22-2004, 08:34 PM
Looking to get a new phone this Christmas as a present to myself.
I use Verizon as a provider, and want to get the best phone, battery life wise.
I absolutely loved the slider phone, but that's not available to get any more :(

Does anyone else have any recomendations for a cool phone with awsome battery life? Or if there is anything like more powerfull batteries available.

I pretty much know nothing about my service and what phones I can use under it, but I assume I'm limited to these?
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneOverview&sortOption=priceSort

fire1811
12-22-2004, 08:47 PM
need your zip to check
but usually you can get most phones

fire1811
12-22-2004, 08:48 PM
but either way the motorola V series are great phones

Will Wood
12-22-2004, 08:51 PM

Yea, the Razr looks really nice. Looks nice, havn't heard much about it's actually performance though.

magman007
12-22-2004, 08:55 PM
do not get the motorola v300 i dont know if verizon offers it or not, but avoid it like the plague. i had 4 of these phones, and none of them worked right except for my first, which was run over by a ford t bird.

GO samsung. im immensely happy with my E315 which is pretty close in opperation to the2 samsungs verizon does offer. i would reccomend them over all

fire1811
12-22-2004, 08:55 PM
also a price range would help too.

if you want to find out TONS of info on phones go to www.howardforums.com they will have info on all the phones for all providers

Will Wood
12-22-2004, 08:59 PM
I'd spend up to 200, probably. (Taking into account rebates). I plan on making this a phone for a long time, so I want it to last.

I'll check out that site.

fire1811
12-22-2004, 09:00 PM
my old lady has the Samsung SCH-a650
she likes it but its too small for me

WenULiVeUdiE
12-22-2004, 10:10 PM
Go with a Samsung. Mine works great and has a pretty long battery life. I think it can last 24 hours+( guesstamite) or something if I dont use it.

PyRo
12-22-2004, 10:14 PM
Get the V60 it's about $30 :)

I break beat up my phone too often to justify spending any money on it. I think moterola does make a better phone though. The samsungs i've had have been junk.

jpdgas
12-23-2004, 02:15 AM
i have a v60i. battery lasts about 3-4 days w/o charge, and I use it constatntly for work. Stay away from color screens if your worried about battery time. It's very durable too; has some normal ring tones (those weird pansy tones bother me, samsung phones tend to not include a normal ring) and its small.

PyRo
12-23-2004, 10:53 AM
3-4 days? How do you manage that, I don't use mine very often and get about 2.

Thordic
12-23-2004, 11:01 AM
I love my Samsung VGA1000.

When the phone was new, I could go over a week without charging the phone if I wasn't talking much. I use my phone mostly for short calls, like finding out where people are, etc. The battery is getting old now though, so I have to charge the phone every 2 - 3 days.

I've also dropped it multiple times and it withstood the beating very well. A few scratches, but still works like a champ.

I highly reccomend Samsung.

WicKeD_WaYz
12-23-2004, 03:47 PM
why does it matter if your battery lasts longer than 1 day anyway. Just plug it in at nighttime.

tony3
12-23-2004, 03:55 PM
My Motorola v400 is an awesome phone. I lacks cool ringtones stock, but you can download them. Battery life is excellent. If I'm not using it all that much I can easily get a week out of it without having to recharge. It recharges really fast. Usually, I just plug it in at night.

personman
12-23-2004, 04:15 PM
My friend has an old nokia and its a color phone and he gets like 3 days of battery life from it :eek:
It barely has any features though.. and the phone feels cheap.

fire1811
12-23-2004, 04:15 PM
why does it matter if your battery lasts longer than 1 day anyway. Just plug it in at nighttime.

having a nextel this is a routine for me.

when i had cingular i did the same anyway

Hairball
12-23-2004, 05:16 PM
I recharge my phose like once a week. o_O

personman
12-23-2004, 05:21 PM
I love my Samsung VGA1000.

When the phone was new, I could go over a week without charging the phone if I wasn't talking much. I use my phone mostly for short calls, like finding out where people are, etc. The battery is getting old now though, so I have to charge the phone every 2 - 3 days.

I've also dropped it multiple times and it withstood the beating very well. A few scratches, but still works like a champ.

I highly reccomend Samsung.
Are you sure?
I have the same phone and like I left it on overnight and it was like 1 bar left...
I dunno, I really wish they had more accurate battery readouts. 3 bars is not enough. I never know if 1 bar measn I have like 5 minutes left or like a few hours, so I get really paranoid.
My friends phone tells you an estimated amount of time left on the battery.. i wish mine would do that :(

fire1811
12-23-2004, 05:22 PM
I recharge my phose like once a week. o_O

as i did with my cingular till day 5 when i needed it the most and the battery died.
needless to say I never made that mistake again

Will Wood
12-23-2004, 05:29 PM
I like long battery life because I'm often not around a place to recharge my phone in the summer, with the exeption of a car charger whenever I drive.

magman007
12-23-2004, 05:50 PM
go for the samsung

Trust me.

Tmobile sends their new phones (just replaced the last and final v300 with the samsung e315) with one bar of battery life. so 1/3rd of a battery. i recieved it yesterday at about 3 pm, ive been playing with it, using the camera etc etc the whole time, and just 5 minutes ago, the battery just finally died.

thats good stuff to me

always run your battery down all the way the first few times, trust me, it gives the phone more longevity in its battery.

WicKeD_WaYz
12-23-2004, 05:56 PM
go for the samsung

Trust me.

Tmobile sends their new phones (just replaced the last and final v300 with the samsung e315) with one bar of battery life. so 1/3rd of a battery. i recieved it yesterday at about 3 pm, ive been playing with it, using the camera etc etc the whole time, and just 5 minutes ago, the battery just finally died.

thats good stuff to me

always run your battery down all the way the first few times, trust me, it gives the phone more longevity in its battery.

Plus you know they only charge those batteries halfway when they first give them to you so your set.

Brak
12-23-2004, 06:49 PM
i have a samsung that i can leave on constantly for a week and it wont need a charge, and if it does need a charge it can charge fully in an hour

jpdgas
12-23-2004, 09:54 PM
3-4 days? How do you manage that, I don't use mine very often and get about 2.

I let the battery get as low as possible without charging. I know they are lithum ion batteries, but I used to charge nightly and the batt deteriorated much faster. This one is a year and a half old and still has crazy long life. I also made the backlight turn off faster to save power, and no vibe during rings.

fire1811
12-23-2004, 11:43 PM
also a way to keep a long battery life is to not use rapid chargers(1hr chargers)
a steady charge is better then a fast one.

atm743
12-23-2004, 11:51 PM
http://www.jbenchmark.com/devices/Audiovox_8900_300.jpg

thats the phone i have and its very nice

good reception

east contact list

takes a while to get the hang of adding buddies phone #

battery life is very long of a color pic phone

very fast charging,

never took more than an hour even if its dead and wont turn on!!

but its a older version soo i bet theres a newer model

WicKeD_WaYz
12-24-2004, 04:19 AM
but if you have an hour charger than why do you need a long battery life. Honestly unless your spending multiple days out in the middle of nowhere then I dont see whats so hard about pluggin it for an hour every other day or so.

PyRo
12-24-2004, 10:53 AM
My last phone has a battery life of 10 hours when you wern't talking on it. Believe me it gets annoying. Even off the battery died in two days.