PDA

View Full Version : I have my first game coming up....

Dave
11-08-2001, 04:37 PM
My first game is on Sunday, my first real game. This will be my first time at a field ever. I am excited, but I also want to know if you guys had any tips that would help me. One of the guys I play with said to keep your mask on in the 'dead zone' cause sometimes paintballs fly over there!
Also, I have not had an elimination yet(when you hit someone, right?) and should I expect to be eliminated alot? I would like the chance to get some people out instead of me getting out all the time. I guess it just comes in time? Its tough cause when I played once before w/friends, my barrel(or something) was just inconsistent enough to miss everytime when I tried to re-aim on a persons hand or mask sticking out from behind a tree. I

I don't even know how any of the areas are setup yet. Is there anything I should remember? How about carrying my gear around during lunch? Do I ALWAYs wan't to keep my mag with me? Do I bring my whole gear bag, or just the essentials? Is there a setup area that I can tune my mag in-between games?

Also, I wanted to ask, as this will be my first paintball experience with people other than just friends, what was your first experience like? Did you learn a lot quickly? I guess everyones different, but I would still like to hear about your experiences.

Failure
11-08-2001, 04:52 PM
don't be like me on my first time to the field, and first time playing ever, and be afraid of getting hit. I hid behind the bunkers half the day until I got shot and said...it didn't hurt as much as I thought it would. Hehe, I got a few good shots in that day, LOL, I tacked up this girl that wasn't even supposed to be playing with our group...I got her bad.

scarpa43
11-08-2001, 04:58 PM
As a senior ref at my field i can tell you a few things.

1.Always keep you mask on when you are not in the staging area
2.Always keep the barrel plug in the gun when not actually playing a game.
3.Respect the calls of the refs, we are there to keep things safe and fair.
4.If you have questions, ask them. Most likely whoever you ask is going to be happy to help
5.Always remember #'s 1, 2, and 3.

That is the ref point of view, now how about some advice for this guy from a player POV...

FooTemps
11-08-2001, 05:24 PM
I haven't actually been to a field either...I'm going to one this weekend...

Smokee_2_7
11-08-2001, 05:27 PM
well, my comments are comming from a combined ref/ player perspective. Ive reffed for over 2 years (rec ball) and have worked w/ just about every type of player out there. . . including countlees people who were experiencing their first game of paintball. Also, I still remember my first game- - as well as my first time at a real field.
In addition to scarpa43's comments, i would add the following:

1.as far as eliminations go- - - yes, you can expect to be eliminated. Im not just saying this because youre still new to the sport, but because this is someone that EVERYONE goes through - - - often. Just remember that its part of the game- - other than that, no worries at all.

2. tip #1 on eliminations

You will get the chance to hit someone. It will happen. now, in order to make it happen sooner, remember to look at "the big picture". by this i mean the idea of the whole game. . . not just the little scene thats going on between you and the guy right in front of you (who's probably going to be shooting at you) remember that there are alot more people on the field, other than just you 2. look off to the sides- - look for someone on the other team whois across the field a little way, and may not be concerned w/ you, b/c he/she is shooting at your teamate right in front of them. . . look for this persons' side, elbow, harness, feet, ect.ect. most of the best eliminations in paintball come from the side, not from the front ( excluding bunker moves.) If you can hit someone who is off to your left (for example) then your teamate may be able ot move up, and in turn have a good angle(=clear shot) at that person who is in front of you trying to give you a paint job. can you see how this works? if you drop (eliminate) your teamate's mirror(=person on the other team directly in front of somone on your team) your teamate may be able to move up, and then shoot out your mirror. . . this may let you move up, and repeat the process until the whole oposing team is gone.

tip #2 on eliminations.

im sure youve been in this situation before (if not you will sunday). you are shooting at someone, and they are shooting back at you (usually this is you mirrior- - the guy right in front of you.) what usually happens is this. you will pop out of your bunker, shoot a few times at them, and then you will have to duck back in to avoid getting hit by the paint they are throwing back at you.

here's the tip. when you come out to shoot, dont always lean out in the same spot. if you always pop up over the top of your bunker, they will soon realize to anticipate your movements, and WILL have some paint in the air, headed right to where your'e about to pop up at. . . the result? you pop up to shoot, and literally stand up right into a paintball. . bam. youre gone. Mix up your shooting patterns. . pop out from the right. then the top. then the right , then the left, - -- keep varying the pattern, so they cannot anticipate your next move.
This goes the other way as well. .. watch them .. if they always come out to shoot from the same spot, anticipate this. . and put some paint in the air right at that spot. . dont hit their bunker, but just shoot through the space they are about to step into . . they might just literally walk into it.

There is alot more i could go on about, but the bottom line is that most of this is stuff that comes in time w/ practice. The best overall advice i can give you is to learn to control that adrenaline rush you get when a game starts. . if its just raw excitement youre experiencing, its easy to miss some vital peice of info, and find yourself in the dead zone. If you can control your excitement, and focus your adrenaline, thats the first step to OUTHINKING the opposition. If you can beat them mentally, you will get the best of them- -- and they will find themselvs in the dead box.

3. as far as your gear goes. . . I dunno how this field is youre going to. at my home field, we really dont have a problem w/ people messing w/ other players gear, so its ok to leave your gun on the table while you eat lunch, or go in the shop. Also, most people will bring they're whole geat bag to the staging area, to make things eaiser - - lots of times you will wind up needing somthing that you figured you wouldnt, and didnt bring. So anyway, go ahead and carry your gear bag, and maybe ask the refs if there's a potential problem w/ you leaving your stuff around. If there is: just leave it all locked up in your car. . hopefully it wont be to far away for you to go get what you need.

4. as far as my first experience, yes, you will probably learn alot quickly. dont get frustrated, it will come in time. the best players in the world still try to learn something new everytime they walk on the field. Just concentrate on learning from your mistakes. . . if you get shot out, ask yourself how it happened. . .compliment the person that shot you, and ask them how they got the best of you. . learn what you did wrong, and try not to repeat that mistake.

I know this might all seem like alot, so dont worry about memorizing 10,000 do's and dont's - - - just make a mental note of the tips, and have a good time playing. It will come naturally.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. . . thats what we're all hear for, to ask and answer questions and learn.

Carl

Dave
11-08-2001, 05:43 PM
Thank you to everyone and to Smokee_2_7 for your very sound input.

In the very first game I had besides a one-on-one, I got shot in the arm while standing right next to a tree shooting at another guy...I couldn't see my friend about 10 over from the guy I was shooting at(the tree blocked my way) and I wasn't looking around at all. So now I know to tuck my arm in a little more and then to not just keep focused on the immediate situation right in front of me. Thank you all for your advice!

-Dave

Maui PFB
11-08-2001, 06:04 PM
Hey dave
You will get lots of advse but here's my 2 cents. When you go out look for guys that show real sportmanship on the field. Also most of the time they are not the ones commanding everybody but they will (suggest moves and positions that can help with the game. They may have new gear but I think a lot still have the old faithful. Also it depends on the field. Old timers pre air ball know the woods and air ball. Newer post air ball might only play this form of ball. Get there advise. Ask the field oparator who the old timers are??/ They usually will help with any questions.

Now about getting hit I have played since 87 and they can still smart every once and A while ( I wont lie to you) but the adrenalin is so high when people are shooting at you that sometimes you dont really feel it. If I had to compare it I would say getting snaped with a wet towel.
Good luck on your first day
Have fun and help promote this great sport by being a good example to all you play with>

Live the Aloha
MAui PFb

PFAutomag33
11-08-2001, 06:18 PM
Jeeze man, you sound pretty worked up about it. But don't worry...it is a lot of fun. Just follow the rules, and everything will be ok.

Eliminations:

You have one of the best guns in the world, use it to your advantage. The time will come when you get an elimination, just be patient, and practice shooting and aiming with your gun. Don't come into a game with the attitude that you are going to be eliminated right off the get go. Have confidence in yourself, and you will do fine.

When I first started out playing, I noticed that I was being hit in the same places, over and over again. The problem was that when I would start shooting at someone, and they shot at me, I would return to hide behind the tree or bunker, and my gun would be sticking out or my arm or something like that. Make sure this doesn't happen. In the past few years, this hasn't happen to me barely at all. Just by noticing your position, you can save yourself a lot of eliminations.

The truth is, you should know where all your gear is at all times. This can mean carrying it around with you, or keeping it with someone you trust, etc. There are people who are mean and would take the nicest gun in the world (automag :D) and ruin someone else's day. But don't worry, there are a lot of nice people, and you will find that you are treated very nicely at whatever field you play at. Make sure you also have your mask on at ALL TIMES while you are playing. Most of the time, refs aren't really leanient to this rule, and will toss you out of the game for the rest of the day. If you get caught doing it enough times, you can be banned from the field. At least that the way at Hell Survivors.

So just remember these things and you should be OKAY. Later.

John

PF Automag cf36472

Russ
11-08-2001, 07:35 PM
Just a couple things to add,

1.Please don't be afraid. Play with a positive attitude.

2.Bring a squirt bottle filled with water, and some paper towels. You'll need 'em to clean off your gogs & gear. Bring allen wrenches, screwdriver and any other tools you might need.

3.You can't really bring too much stuff, and the one thing you'll need, you'll have left behind!

Are you going with friends or alone?

Dude
11-08-2001, 08:04 PM
If your first game will be at Hogback then I might be there and I can tell you everything you'll need to know.

deded
11-08-2001, 08:11 PM
My only suggestion would be to not shoot the guys on your team.

My first game I got nervous and hid.... a lot, this made it so I didn't really know what was going on in the game, I just knew I didn't want to get hit.

Then I saw someone, and he was shooting, so I shot at him a bunch of times and I actually got him out!... unfortunately he was on my team, and not too happy about getting FFed.

oops!:rolleyes:

Just have fun, that's always the most important thing.
:D

Flamebo
11-08-2001, 09:23 PM
Make sure you rent a pack if you don't own one. Better yet, buy one before you get there, renting costs almost as much as purchasing one. Don't be afraid to use paint, but don't just spray it around for no reason, use it constructively.

Sqweezer
11-08-2001, 09:49 PM
Just go play. have fun , and pay attention to the safety rules. You don't really need all these tips, just go out an have the time of your life playing the coolest sport there is around today. A pack is not a necessity. Did I mention you should go have fun?

Tbone
11-08-2001, 10:53 PM
Yeah, and don't forget to kick some *** while you're at it :D

(Does *** get filtered out in the spell editor thingy? Sorry if it does)

MajorDamage
11-09-2001, 02:33 PM
Biggest thing is keep your mask on when you are on the field, and barrel plug in while your not. My first field experiance, we accedentaly crashed a bday party. Got my butt kicked by ten year olds all day. They were so small they could run between the bunkers without being seen! And a Nashville Preditor(hockey player) bunkered me :)!

ENDO!

X-Plosive
11-09-2001, 03:13 PM
remember to tie your shoelaces and you should be fine.

Thordic
11-09-2001, 03:28 PM
One thing I always see new people doing is jumping into nearby bunkers right at the whistle. You have to remember range is limited on paintball guns, so they can't shoot at you when you are that far away (Unless it is a small field, like speedball).

Most of the time, when I play in the woods, unless I'm tearing up field on the break (80% of the time) I just stroll up field, gun in firing position, and watch where they run (the other 20% of the time, when Im tired from running upfield :) )

It's a good way to start, just walk upfield until you notice paint getting near you, then find a bunker or a wide enough tree. Obviously, don't walk INTO paint, but you'd be surprised how far upfield you can just walk, right past people on your own team who are hiding in bunkers.

I generally prefer standing behind trees if possible, that way you can move quicker when needed, and your knees don't get sore, etc.

Basically, the lesson I'm trying to show here is don't be afraid to move up. I see too many people dive into a bunker 2 feet outside thier starting zone, and then they don't get any action until they get bunkered in the end of the game. First off, your team could use you MUCH more closer to the action, and second, you'll have a lot more fun if you move towards the action, as opposed to waiting for it to come to you.

Here is some old advice:

Don't make noise, it draws fire.
Don't draw fire, it makes people nervous.
If you are going to draw fire, do it over there.

Replace the noise part with something more applicable, like rolling around on the floor :)