PDA

View Full Version : Halo X - Sustained 28+ BPS

Snertz
12-23-2004, 08:35 PM
Hey all, just debuting my newly finished Halo mod, which I dub Halo X. Current drop test shows a sustained 28+ BPS with a full 170 rd Halo B.

The loader this mod was performed on was a Stock older version Halo B. No victory board or Z code was necessary.

Notes on the vid: Last few balls bounce around alot before being fed, since the drive cup is spinning so fast. Need verification on feedrate, since timing start and stop points are open to interpertation. I used start and right until the balls started to bounce like crazy in the hopper. Maybe someone with a stop watch?

Just some things to do to it next, target is sustained 30+ BPS

Edit: Just hit 30.9, feeding as fast as a Qloader, but with the capacity of a Halo! :shooting:

Now hosted at http://web.umr.edu/~sjjgfd/HaloX.wmv

Mod now available here: http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=164145

P8NTBALLER590
12-23-2004, 08:36 PM
how did you do the mod?

Snertz
12-23-2004, 08:39 PM
Instead of powering the motor straight from the board, as it is on a normal halo setup, the board now controls a relay, which is being fed with a higher voltage source, going directly to the motor. all being said and done, the motor is getting much more juice from the get go.

The mod itself is actually quite small, almost the same size as a warp's 12v mod.

Snertz
12-23-2004, 09:02 PM
New vid, hit 30.9 BPS, suscess. Now feeding as fast as a Q loader, but with the capacity and ease of use of a halo

Aim me for the vid: Aleeous Neo

shatter_storm
12-23-2004, 09:10 PM
Cool idea, but want to fit it to a marker and test it that way? Drop tests are not very useful since they don't simulate actual firing patterns.

bballe336
12-23-2004, 09:12 PM
thats pretty sweet. what did you do to it? send it to me and i can get it running a good sustainable 40bps like mine will.

FSU_Paintball
12-23-2004, 09:15 PM
Wouldn't that eat batteries a lot faster?

LittlePaintballBoy
12-23-2004, 09:16 PM
Verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry believable.

EDIT: To bballe

Snertz
12-23-2004, 09:23 PM
Battery consumption isn't too much more I hope, but for on gun testing, I'm doing that right now.

I'll be willing to do this mod free for someone that can get me a vid with a gun shooting 30+ bps consitantly, for testing. Zack Vetter where are you??

bballe - get a vid of you hopper and time it, I wanna see 40.

$tevo
12-23-2004, 09:31 PM
with all that extra voltage, the motor will be doing more work correct? so wouldnt that burn the motor out?

Snertz
12-23-2004, 09:49 PM
Well, I'm not feedig the motor that much more juice. Currently my setup is with 6 rechargables, so even with alkalines, its getting a max 9v. The motor is holding up well so far. I'll be doing more tests as time allows.

bballe336
12-23-2004, 09:56 PM
Verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry believable.

EDIT: To bballe

actually all that needs to be done is 10 minutes worth of work. i have dual 9 volts running it for a snappy take off. and then i just adjusted the gears until it just ran super fast i am estimating about 40 bps becuase my gun was set to full auto 35bps last weekend and the halo kept up all the way and was definatly faster than my gun.

MonsterMag
12-23-2004, 09:57 PM
I watched the vid and All I can say is WOW :eek:

Thats fast

dj89
12-23-2004, 10:03 PM
i'll do it
But my halo don't work any way :(

Snertz
12-23-2004, 10:16 PM
bballe - pics of your gears and wiring harness? Vid? Really curious, since 40 bps is sick..

Skoad
12-23-2004, 10:21 PM
lemme know if you need pics or more videos hosted ;) ;)

Snertz
12-23-2004, 10:22 PM
Thanks a bunch Skoad, will do :D

SpecialBlend2786
12-23-2004, 10:39 PM
pretty darn cool!
nice goin, i'd love to see how it performs on a marker:)

WARPED1
12-23-2004, 11:56 PM
Nice. But I hope you have skill as well, not just good software!

Z-man
12-24-2004, 12:26 AM
I would like to see this. Send me one and Ill test this out for truth! :P Ill even round down.

pump
12-24-2004, 05:04 AM
egawds!!

bballe336
12-24-2004, 07:17 AM
bballe - pics of your gears and wiring harness? Vid? Really curious, since 40 bps is sick..

i can try and get you some pics. the wiring harness is stock. im not sure if i can make a vid. the only digicam i have that can make a sound vid is a 7 megapixel cam and 1 minute of video on that is about 5+ megs.

jamescell
12-24-2004, 08:16 AM
Thatas just sick. Have you ever got your halo wet? the reason I ask is because when ever mine gets wet is seams to operate just as fast as yours is. Do you thing that the stock battery configuration with a relay could product the same result? I'm thinking odessey's board limits the voltage for some reason.

B.A.M.
12-24-2004, 09:11 AM
Can you host a vid with a gun firing

Snertz
12-24-2004, 11:58 PM
Merry Christmas All!

Update on the Halo X progress: I made a newer version that uses a different relay, since my original ones fried from too much current draw. The new one is holding up fine.

I tested it on my Eblade Nexxus with all trig filters turned down and a short pull so it would bounce. So far, it looks like upper 20's is no prob at all. Need to get a vid and confirm it.

Jamescell - I'm not too sure what you're trying to tell me, but my halo uses the stock battery config, so max voltage at any given point is still 9v.

Bballe - Umm, try to take a no sound vid, just need to see a timed run on how long it takes to empty. Could you get some pics of the gears too? Thanks!

Z-Man - I can most def shoot one over to you or mod a harness for you. All I need is the motor battery side of the halo harness. Either that, or I can send my personal halo harness over to you. It's your call. :D

68magOwner
12-25-2004, 12:10 AM
thats cool, VERY fast

bballe336
12-25-2004, 11:47 AM
ok i can try. unfortunatly i am away from my house until monday so it will have to wait till then.

RobAGD
12-25-2004, 12:52 PM
If you want to have some real fun take an old Halo A cup/gear set and run a B or Victory board in it :) Remove batteries until its slow enough to actually feed paint :)

I was thinking about stuffing a Pred board in my Vik and jacking it up to see what kind of feed/bps I could get but after 10 hours of working on this crap in a shop I just never have the want to :/

-R

Blazestorm
12-25-2004, 06:56 PM
I got a rechargable halo battery pack from dueydog (Pre-charged, sweet) and I plugged it in, the second I turned my empire-b on I noticed it was much faster, I put some paint through it, it does about a pod in 5 seconds... the problem with it is that it's sound activated and doesn't always feed off the sound of itself feeding (which it spratically does.)

So far my empire-b, with shocktech drive cone/rip drive, and dueydog's rechargable batt pack, this is the fastest halo I've seen :D

Enemy
01-01-2005, 02:53 AM
i think mine can keep up try holding it near a noise source like a generator!! or car muffler! ill time mine when i get the chance its running the 12 volt side of a xpower mod.

MonsterMag
01-01-2005, 07:10 PM
I am getting a halo b in a lil while , Can you tell us how you did it and get pics of your work ?

Pa pa please? :hail: :hail: :hail:

B.A.M.
01-01-2005, 07:38 PM
Ya thats would be nice .

Enemy
01-02-2005, 05:30 AM
well i just tested my reloader hook up to the 12 volt source and it is fast to fast for a dump test it kept josling the balls around in the hopper and not feeding right now on setting 2. my hopper does what his does sadly i dont have a timer or other accurate method to find the bps it is putting out but yeah ive never seen a halo do what mine did with 20+ balls still in it! so far the fastest total dump for me was setting 1 because it avoid alot of the bouncing the balls were getting on the faster settings! ill get a stop watch and try again tomorrow night!

MonsterMag
01-02-2005, 11:53 AM
well i just tested my reloader hook up to the 12 volt source and it is fast to fast for a dump test it kept josling the balls around in the hopper and not feeding right now on setting 2. my hopper does what his does sadly i dont have a timer or other accurate method to find the bps it is putting out but yeah ive never seen a halo do what mine did with 20+ balls still in it! so far the fastest total dump for me was setting 1 because it avoid alot of the bouncing the balls were getting on the faster settings! ill get a stop watch and try again tomorrow night!

I use a walmart watch, has a stopwatch on it :D

minimag03
01-02-2005, 12:37 PM
That was fast. I might want this to be done to my Halo once you are sure that it will not do any harm.

-minimag03

Snertz
01-05-2005, 10:35 PM
Halo X is finished! Z-Man, you wanted to test one for truth? PM me with your contact info, and I'll have my personal halo out to you for testing.

MonsterMag
01-05-2005, 11:02 PM
I have watch this vvid about 72 times know and its still amazes me :headbang:
Cant wait to get my halo

Evil Bob
01-05-2005, 11:05 PM
My only concern is with the extra horsepower/speed, what's it going to do to a ball stack once you stop firing, especially when you're shooting really fragile paint like Hellfire... is it going to puree the next 20 balls in line?

-Evil Bob

Snertz
01-05-2005, 11:25 PM
Evil Bob - I was asked this over at pbn on my thread there, I'll copy over my response. Basically, it should be fine, even with brittle tourny paint..

"As for the object speed, in this case the paintball itself, what is the total amount of force and its relative speed that it can withstand before breaking?

For example, if being fed at the same rate as a Q loader, then it would exert the same impact force on the ball when it hits the bottom of the breech. All I'm trying to do is make it feed as fast as the Q, but with the capacity and loading ease of a halo package form.

As for the amount of force a ball can handle, we can look at this:

Given that the average ball weighs around 3grams, and we'll assume that the paint being tested is 1 bounce paint. Basically, it can withstand the force imparted on the ball when droped from from a height of 1.5M (Eye level) onto a solid surface (Floor!)

So Given:

Mass = .306122g
G = 9.8 M/S²
H = 1.5M

Then

PE = MGH = ~4.5J <- This is the force the ball can at least take before failing on a second trial (1 bounce)

Now given MGH at top of drop is = 1/2(MV)² at bottom of drop, then final velocity would be ~5.4 M/S

Now we know that the average paintball is ~.017272M in diameter, thus it would take the ball roughly .0032 Secs too travel one ball diameter. This is equivelent to it feeding fully into the breech (from top to bottom, taken from the bottom edge of the ball, and assuming the breech size is roughly the size of the ball)

So all said and done, max feed rate for the ball into the breech would be an incredible 312.6 BPS before the impact of the ball hitting the breech is more than the ball can handle. This makes sense, since the force that a ball encounters when being fired is in the range of 1k+ Pounds per square inch. It can only take this much becuse the time period it is done over is miniscule, and total impulse imparted on the ball isn't that much.

This was done for a single ball in a single sided impact, but as for a ball stack or multiple sided simltaneous impact, it applies, only that the force imparted total must be below this threshold, regardless of it being more than one sided.

Simple Physics anyone?

TL;DR - 1 bounce paintballs can withstand a force of at least 4.5 Joules, or traveling 5.4M/S (17.7 fps) into a solid object"

mark_1791
01-06-2005, 12:08 AM
wow, ya think thats complicated enough? :confused: :tard:

MonsterMag
01-06-2005, 12:12 AM
wow, ya think thats complicated enough? :confused: :tard:

Hes smart :clap:

Dont get it ;)

Rocky Knuth
01-06-2005, 03:39 PM
S,

Are you giving details out about the mod? If you are can email them to me. I would like to test it.

thanks,
Roc

eclispe77@hotmail.com

Snertz
01-06-2005, 06:19 PM
Hey Rocky,

No specifics on the mod itself yet. I have my halo going to Z-Man for testing soon, once he get's it back to me, I'll release the mod, and start doing them for people.

Snertz
01-12-2005, 05:36 PM
Z-Man, i shipped the halo today, you should get it in 2-3 days!

B.A.M.
01-12-2005, 06:28 PM
i'd totaly send my halo in for the mod when you do it

phantomhitman
01-12-2005, 07:00 PM
ill make this simple, how much and where do i send my halo to? aim, pm, or email me.

dead serious

68magOwner
01-12-2005, 07:08 PM
will you be releasing the mod for people to attempt themselves? or just installing it on your own and delaying the inevediable truth that how to do the mod will become common knowledge once a few people get them ;)

MonsterMag
01-12-2005, 10:51 PM
will you be releasing the mod for people to attempt themselves? or just installing it on your own and delaying the inevediable truth that how to do the mod will become common knowledge once a few people get them ;)

You guys have to wait a lil while before he releases this mod.He has testers that are gonna be testing this out , so far I think they are me and zman :dance:

Coray
01-12-2005, 10:59 PM
I needa halo :cry:

v_3Sterns
01-13-2005, 07:20 AM
A couple variables you could eliminate, if you feel like it.

You could try bracing and suspending the halo to an unmoving source, so only you need to place your finger underneath.

You could lower the height at which the balls drop from slightly, to simulate a more realistic distance they fall to the chamber of the marker.

This is alot of work though for something you basically showed is hella fast anyway :) nice video!

phantomhitman
01-13-2005, 07:57 AM
um, i willing to pay for shipping both ways, use my own halo, and report back to you after every weekend. let me know if you need an east coast beta halo x tester. it will get plenty of use.
plus, you will ge videos of me using it on a devilmag......before anyone else :shooting:

Snertz
01-13-2005, 11:30 PM
Testers have already been chosen and already sent mods, but the mod is now publicly available at http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=164145