PDA

View Full Version : Last Minute XMas Shopping

Miscue
12-25-2004, 12:10 AM
So, I'm fixing my toilet because the ball thing broke off. I figure, I just need a couple hours to get what I want for my parents and I can work on that for a while. I give up on it and the stupid thing won't flush yet. I decide to go to Best Buy and get the stuff I was planning on. I see people walking back looking dejected, "I just knew we'd get there right when they closed." Well, that told me to get back into my car and find another store. But, it was only 6PM! You're supposed to be open until like 8 or 9!

Then I remember when I worked in a retail store, we closed at 6PM for XMas. It was kinda funny seeing pissed off people outside knocking on the window when the sign clearly said: CLOSED. Suckers! Well, now I can relate with their predicament and maybe I should have let a couple of the desperate looking ones into the store.

Wal-Mart should be open - they're open 24 hours. Wrong! "Attention shoppers, the registers will be closed in 10 minutes." 10 minutes?! I just walked in! So, I walk right out the door. Now I'm getting worried, and I start thinking... "there's gotta be a Jewish owned store around here somewhere." Then I realize that it would make no difference because they'd probably close up shop too since it could cost more to stay open than to sell stuff to some schmuck who didn't buy gifts early. But there's gotta be a market for last minute shoppers... somebody has got to be open! Perhaps my toilet could have waited and I would have had plenty of time - I have another bathroom after all, so it wasn't like an emergency.

I hit Target - same thing! But this time a woman walking out of the store looks at me pitifully, and tells me it's closed. "Oh, and I bet you think it's funny cuz you got that Target bag full of stuff and I don't," I thought. Well, actually she was nice enough to tell me that some other shopper said K-Mart was supposed to be open until 9. Little did she know that she saved me, because I would not have thought about K-Mart and I was starting to think to myself: What do gas stations carry?

I've never seen a gas station carry XMas cards, but I thought of a possible solution. I didn't send my XMas cards yet to my sister and my brother-in-law, so I could commandeer those. But no matter how many ways I mixed it up in my head, I could not come up with an appropriate combination of cards that I could give to my parents and grandma. I could give a good card to my mom, a decent one to my dad, and an inappropriate one with monkeys on it to my grandma. Why was it that I bought the monkey one early, but not the rest? Well, it is pretty damn funny, but that wasn't going to work.

I arrive at K-Mart - lo and behold!!! They are OPEN! And... they are PACKED. Well, I guess I was right - there was a market for people like me and K-Mart was monopolizing. My mom wanted a Ricky Martin CD. How could they not have any?! I fought my way through a bunch of people only to discover that Ricky Martin has waned in popularity so much that K-Mart won't bother with him? Damn you Ricky Martin! I couldn't find a gift for my dad that I was looking for, but then I saw something very impressive: The Display-O-SpiderMan 2 thing by the DVDs.

I picked up the Collector's Edition, and remembered they had not even seen SpiderMan 1 yet. I found the Full Screen version, looked all around for the Wide Screen with no luck. Who the heck uses Full Screen still anyway - if it weren't for those sucky people I would have been able to find the Wide Screen version so they would not have to stock both. Get new TVs people, come on! Well, maybe they won't notice. Before I left, I found some good XMas cards - solving that problem.

I leave K-Mart, call my mom to tell her I was going to drop by that night - and I can hear home videos of XMas in the background. "We got you a lot of stuff when you were a kid." I was feeling kinda guilty and started to change the topic from XMas to my escapades with my toilet - as a distraction, But that didn't work long, and I wished I had got something more thoughtful than Spiderman - so I hurried back to K-Mart and got a couple more good DVDs. I figured I could make up for a lack of thoughtfulness with sheer volume.

I've got some last minute wrapping to do still... hope you all found what you're looking for, and have a safe and happy XMas. :D

Mango
12-25-2004, 12:11 AM
Cliffs? I'm not reading all of that pfffffff

SlipknotX556
12-25-2004, 12:28 AM
Cliffs? I'm not reading all of that pfffffff

His toilet broke.

He went to many stores, they all closed right when he walked in.

He went to Kmart, no Ricky Martin, got a DVD.

Called his mom.

Got to wrap stuff.

Mango
12-25-2004, 12:30 AM
His toilet broke.

He went to many stores, they all closed right when he walked in.

He went to Kmart, no Ricky Martin, got a DVD.

Called his mom.

Got to wrap stuff.

http://forums.offtopic.com/images/smilies/bowdown.gif

SlipknotX556
12-25-2004, 12:34 AM
http://forums.offtopic.com/images/smilies/bowdown.gif

heh, <3 Mango.

So how is your toilet doing Miscue?

Muzikman
12-25-2004, 12:50 AM
Now, I usually wait until the last minute...but never THAT last minute. And yo be honest, I would have gone to a gas station (Sheetz comes to mind) and got a gift certificate. These days, who wouldn't want free gas? And they even come in cool little Christmas cards.

I too get pissed when I go to pick up a movie only to find out that they only have full screen versions.

Miscue
12-25-2004, 01:03 AM
heh, <3 Mango.

So how is your toilet doing Miscue?

The builder did something goofy with these toilets. Usually it's easy to replace that parts inside, but it looks like I'm going to have to take the whole tank off and put in new gaskets.

PITA!

Muzikman
12-25-2004, 01:04 AM
It's called a Float Valve:)

CaptaiN_JacK
12-25-2004, 01:10 AM
go to pick up a movie only to find out that they only have full screen versions.

I do too, but I'd throw in a random uneducated guess that 95% of households in the US only have full-screen tv's...think about it.

WenULiVeUdiE
12-25-2004, 01:22 AM
I'm going to have to agree^. Up to 2 years ago, we still had a black and white tv and one color. Now we have 3 colors, all full screen.

Muzikman
12-25-2004, 01:42 AM
Yeah, but wide screen DVDs will still work with full screen TVs, you just get the letterbox effect.

Linkwarner
12-25-2004, 03:09 AM
All I can say is that Walgreens has saved me.
I too was under this same prediciment earlier this night, I was at work, didnt get off till about 8:30, and of course, everywhere is closed. I drive around for an hour, and spy a very bright and vibrant walgreens sign, having never set foot inside the store, I observed that it was a pharmacy, I figured either mom will get something good, or will get something for her stomach pains. Well I was in luck, I found those cool feeling pillows that are all soft, yet firm and are just plain cool, well I made no sense at all, right now I just finished wrapping everyones gifts and is tired, I cant wait for christmas. yay.....
And St. Nicholas said unto all GOODNIGHT G.D. IT!!
:headbang: rockstar

by the way, my real name is Nick

Bluestrike_2
12-25-2004, 06:22 AM
Ok, thanks for opening the floodgates.

With Fool's Screen, you are cropping off, approximately 33% of the picture. However, that's not TOO bad, because nothings SUPER important there, right?

http://www.artstudiomagazine.com/imagenes/widescreen_sw.jpg
http://www.artstudiomagazine.com/imagenes/widescreen_stigmata.jpg
http://www.artstudiomagazine.com/imagenes/widescreen_bugs_life.jpg

See what you lose? Yeah, it's in spanish..... http://www.artstudiomagazine.com/

Now, why do they keep selling them? Because it's named FULLSCREEN. IF anything, that's what widescreen should be called. So the parents, unimformed as they are, think "Hey widescreen MUST mean less picture then! Let's get fullscreen so Johnny can se it the best way possible!" Between this, edge enhancement, Original Aspect Ratio troubles, and a few other things. Th studios are SCREWING home entertainment over! Muz, think USM halos for an entire movie. It's bad...

Sales:
The Widescreen versions of the films are usually above the Fullscreen on the chart. On a genre movie, like Lord of the Rings or Chronicles of Riddick the difference seems to be more pronounced, while on a more "mainstream" movie (Starsky and Hutch, etc.) the WS and FS versions are right beside one another.

MarkM
12-25-2004, 07:27 AM
You think the problem is just with the films. The use of Widescreen TV's that I have seen from the numbers that are sold in the stores in the US is growing but it is still in it's infancy. I have a wide screen TV and whilst it is great for movies etc shot in widescreen the problem comes with TV that is broadcast in Normal (full screen) as then you lose part of the picture as well. I like to watch the snooker when it is broadcast but have to adapt my TV settings to watch it in full screen to be able to see all the angles so I get a reverse letter box with two large black bars on the left and right of the screen, same with the ski tour currently being broadcast. So once you begin to get large scale widescreen TV sales as long as the TV companies keep up and broadcast in widescreen you will be fine but you might still have the odd problem.

PyRo
12-25-2004, 10:01 AM
My father bought a widescreen and it makes everything look fat when you watch anything that wasn't made for it.

WickeDKlowN
12-25-2004, 11:17 AM
My father bought a widescreen and it makes everything look fat when you watch anything that wasn't made for it.
That's what ours does. We could change it so there's letterboxes on the sides but my mom hates that so we just leave it stretched out.

Xyxyll
12-25-2004, 01:16 PM
Almost the same situation here! But mine was worse...lol.

School ended Wednesday about 11:00 (halfday). Since school was out, that was the first time in a month that I've had time to work, so I was scheduled for the rest of this week. 2-8 on Wednesday. I got home Wednesday night, fell asleep, and woke up Thursday just in time to go back to work, a 12-8 shift. My 12-8 shift ended up changing to 12-12 (damn I wish they paid overtime). I made it home and fell asleep, only to get up 5 hours later to go back to work yesterday morning. When I got off work yesterday, I had to immediately get ready for church and the annual xmas eve party. I had absolutely NO presents for anybody at this point.

I get home from the xmas eve party around 9:00, change fast, and race off for Walmart - closed with a cop blocking the door with his car. So low-and-behold... Super K is open! Damn it was packed! Did you see the Super K brand useless gifts that were already packaged and were priced 10x more than they were worth? I bought a lot of those! Well, somehow I managed to get all of my xmas shopping done from 9:30 to 10:30 at Kmart, who thankfully were open until Midnight (and they sure met their quota last night).

Funny that we both had last minute shopping at Kmart on Xmas eve. :D

Lohman446
12-25-2004, 07:40 PM
LMAO.. all of my shopping was done in November, I went yesterday afternoon just to be in everyones way :)

1stdeadeye
12-26-2004, 07:56 AM
The builder did something goofy with these toilets. Usually it's easy to replace that parts inside, but it looks like I'm going to have to take the whole tank off and put in new gaskets.

PITA!

No home warranty?

Miscue
12-26-2004, 06:22 PM
No home warranty?

It would not be worthwhile - $45 deductable when I can fix everything myself for less.

lord1234
12-26-2004, 06:55 PM
beat this: my gf ended up doing shopping for 3 people at CVS (24hr)

WickeDKlowN
12-26-2004, 10:04 PM
Thursday night, I went to Wal-Mart to christmas shop and ended up with Mt. Dew, Tang and Dawn of the Dead.All of which were for myself. Then I stopped by Best buy and bought myself The Best of Pantera and my mom a $30 gift certificate(she wants one of those Roomba things). When I realized everything was closed friday night I just burned CD's for everyone else...