PDA

View Full Version : Profiler Mods... :D

Blazestorm
12-25-2004, 11:40 PM
I wouldn't recommend doing this yourselves unless you have agg hax leet ninja skills like mine!

www.blazestorm.net/vforce/

As you can see, I have removed the profiler ear-pieces, as well as strap, I sewed a JT strap onto the V-force clips, and zip-tied cut JT soft ear-pieces to the clips.

I have 2 Profilers (One unmodified) 5 spare lens (Had 7 before... 2 smoke, 1 amber, 4 clear...) and a JT Proflex that got jacked from the store... Sadzors :( that thing was all black and I had a brand new smoke lens for it I never got to put in it...

I guess this can become a "Mask Modification" thread...

Benefits of this modification - Looks cool, promotes bounces, and wraps closer around the head and stays on more securely.

Downsides - Exploses part of your face near the jaw-bone joint, about the same as a proflex but a bit more. And it's not legal in NPPL, PSP or major events, you'll be fine at local events and at your local field usually. I know teams like Infamous and Avalanche have modified their profilers, but nobody is going to stop them at a tournament and say they can't use that mask. Everyone modifies their proflex's now, nobody stops them again. Nonetheless, I wouldn't recommend this mod unless you have a backup mask and don't mind making a 90 dollar mask illegal :D

Flow_Tech
12-25-2004, 11:55 PM
excellent. :clap:

DiSoRdeR
12-25-2004, 11:59 PM
At first I didnt know what you did to it. Do you like it that way more now or before?

Blazestorm
12-26-2004, 12:11 AM
This way it wraps around your head more and feels more secure, I think it'll allow better hearing because there is not a whole lot blocking your ear.

I might be playing tomorrow, I'll try it out, and get some pics taken of me :D

tony3
12-26-2004, 12:15 AM
Ya, some of my friends have been doing this with their profilers since last chicago open i believe. I can't wait till i get my profiler from the sponsors so I can mod it up.

tyrion2323
12-26-2004, 12:29 AM
link not working...

Blazestorm
12-26-2004, 12:31 AM
Difference being, I sewed my JT strap to the profiler strap-clip, and I ziptied it to that clip (most people have done that part) but I think I'm the first to do the sewing, makes it look very professional :D

can'tthink of1
12-26-2004, 12:37 AM
More bounces? My profiler's side ear area is really flexy.... It something breaks on it, I;d think it would break on the JT ear pieces too :p

I dunno, I don't understand the agg thing I guess... I think profilers are perfect stock lol.

Blazestorm
12-26-2004, 12:46 AM
Well a.) There's less of a profile, it wraps closer to your head, reducing the angle (If you're facing head-on) increasing the chance of a bounce.

You don't get shot from the side of the head and expect it to bounce, it's the very shallow angles, this is increases those shallow angles :)

And I'm not trying to be agg, haha that was a joke, I did it because it did a little something to improve my game, if I can get that one bouncer that lets me stay in the game and allows me to shoot more people out, that could win a tournament. All the little things count :D

Muzikman
12-26-2004, 12:56 AM
Most major events probably wouldn't/shouldn't let you play with it. The NPPL rules state no modified masks.

tony3
12-26-2004, 01:09 AM
Yet dynasty has cut ear pieces along with 100000 other teams/players.

Blazestorm
12-26-2004, 01:14 AM
Already said that Muzik :D

Updated pics... Stock Profiler, and Modded one..

www.blazestorm.net/vforce2/

TDonovan
12-26-2004, 01:18 AM
I've seen a guy with a small hole cut/stretched in his proflex so he could smoke...

The mods look good though! I'm too lazy and too careful with my money to be cutting up a mask though. And for the record, I feel like a loser for still wearing my VForce morphs... I wish I had the $ for an all black profiler.

Rift
12-26-2004, 01:29 AM
You lost quit a bit of protection on the side there and i dont really see any difference between the two when looking straight at them (atleast from your pictures).

evo.end3R
12-26-2004, 01:32 AM
my friend did this on his profiler....profiler is gree, gold mirror lens, leopart JY strap and stock vforce strap, with the soft ear mod. omg so AGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!oneone!!1!!!!!

NukeGoose
12-26-2004, 10:10 AM
I cut a slot in the side of my Profiler so that the strap sits on the outside of the ears instead of inside. Very comfy.

bballe336
12-26-2004, 04:50 PM
the first thing i did when i got my invisions was mod them lol didnt even try em on first. the part that holds the strap in pisses me off cuz the strap slides around them so got some plastic and used a soldering iron to press them together.

Beemer
12-26-2004, 05:27 PM
you'll be fine at local events and at your local field usually.
Can you prove this?? If its a GOOD field you wont be fine

Everyone modifies their proflex's now, nobody stops them

Ya, some of my friends have been doing this with their profilers since last chicago open i believe. I can't wait till i get my profiler from the sponsors so I can mod it up
Follow the HEARD, eh.

I did it because it did a little something to improve my game
And what would that be? You need to rethink your thinking on improving your game.

Most major events probably wouldn't/shouldn't let you play with it. The NPPL rules state no modified masks.
Ya this is for SAFETY. This is the New age though when you say safety you hear whats that?

You lost quit a bit of protection on the side there
Ya note exposed ear.

Before I do this mod Im gonna cut off my seatbelt straps disable my air bags. Also I will cut off my chinstrap on my motorcycle helmet because I dont like it pulling on my chin when I do 140mph

MarkM
12-26-2004, 06:18 PM
To some of the people saying that people don't get stopped for modified goggles...plainly wrong I personally stopped many players this last World Cup....name players as well as others...the only defense I can give for any pic's of events where you can see the modified goggles is that the Ref dropped the ball afterall they are human. The side pieces are there as designed for protection not for looking "cool" the only modification that I would allow as a ref would be additions and I don't mean two layers of neoprene more in the way of fans to fit a Profiler (since they don't make them) etc. all the disclaimers in a post saying this is legal in the major leagues is no defense as any creditable site should not allow you on the field with goggles altered...the waiver you signed isn't worth a carrot as you are playing with deficient equipment so you won't be able to make a claim regardless of how worthless those waivers are usually.

tony3
12-26-2004, 08:39 PM
Can you prove this?? If its a GOOD field you wont be fine
Follow the HEARD, eh.
And what would that be? You need to rethink your thinking on improving your game. Ya this is for SAFETY. This is the New age though when you say safety you hear whats that?
Ya note exposed ear.
Before I do this mod Im gonna cut off my seatbelt straps disable my air bags. Also I will cut off my chinstrap on my motorcycle helmet because I dont like it pulling on my chin when I do 140mph

First off, I have been using my cut up proflex for 8 months. Not one person has said a word to me about it. I believe lets see I've played 9 tournies with it, and nothing said it me. I let one of my friends borrow it for Northwest psp open. No one said anything to him. Look at half of the dynasty players. Lots and lots of cut ear pieces. As for "following the heard" I guess If I like something but my friends do it, it's follow the heard? As for the bottom of his ear exposed. The bottom of mine is exposed as well on my proflex. And guess what? I didn't do anything to the bottom. Just the top. I don't see this as much of a big deal at all.

Wc Keep
12-26-2004, 08:40 PM
my friend has a pair of these. they are a cool vintage thing. not to be worn to play. his ears are sticking out completely. your ears can get ripped right off with these on.

NukeGoose
12-26-2004, 09:11 PM
Why complain about it? The pros (and wannabe pros) have been using as little safety gear as they could since the inception of the sport... mid-90's, no pro would be caught dead wearing anything except a lone set of goggles on their head, even in 2000-2001 many did not use earpieces (ever seen PUSH?), then once ear protection has become the norm people started cutting their Proflexes... now is no different, Gator Glaze starts a trend by cutting up his Profiler, other professionals hop on board, then come the others.

Whether it's more comfortable or not I'm not sure. However I don't feel that this is my business... anyone who is playing and knows enough about this mod to do it also knows the risks associated with it and the inherent dangers of the sport. You don't see many beginners cutting up their masks, only the people who have been around and know how the game works. If you want to take the risk, be my guest, but it's your head that's in jeopardy, not mine.

Beemer
12-26-2004, 09:25 PM
First off, I have been using my cut up proflex for 8 months. Not one person has said a word to me about it. I believe lets see I've played 9 tournies with it, and nothing said it me. I let one of my friends borrow it for Northwest psp open. No one said anything to him. Look at half of the dynasty players. Lots and lots of cut ear pieces. As for "following the heard" I guess If I like something but my friends do it, it's follow the heard? As for the bottom of his ear exposed. The bottom of mine is exposed as well on my proflex. And guess what? I didn't do anything to the bottom. Just the top. I don't see this as much of a big deal at all.

This just proves they dont care about your safety or enforceing the rules. :wow: and you choose not to follow them and must not care about your own Safety.

Follow the herd is, lets not follow the rules like everybody else

Blazestorm
12-26-2004, 11:34 PM
Yes, getting shot in my lower jaw is going to kill me omg noes.

Honestly, I'm not losing significant face/eye protection.

It feels more comfortable and is a lower profiler = therefore better for me. Honestly if you're going to ***** at me about the mask I'm wearing, I'll take it off and get my grey one.

And why would you cut-off your seatbelts and disable the air bags. Those are LIFE SAVING pieces of equipment, the small portion of ear protection I lost is not going to cause death or serious injury. Same goes for the helmet strap. BTW This modified mask stays on my head more comfortably and securely then the un-modified one.

Go watch games of Infamous and Avalanche playing, almost every one of them is playing with a profiler nearly identical to mine.

I'm sorry I have offended you with my special mod, nobody is yelling at Z-man for his full-auto 30bps videos, those aren't legal, yet everyone praises him. (Nothing against you Z-man, just an example)

I'd never hold the field against me getting shot in the ear, hell with my JT Proflex I got shot in the side of the head from 30 feet away and I went deaf for about 30 minutes in that ear, where's the protection then? I had un-modified the mask, yet I went deaf for 30 minutes from a standard shot to my ear?

And Beamer, I can't PROVE they'll allow it, but so far we've played many local events and played at our local fields all the time without anyone questioning us.

Would you prefer everyone wear JT Head-shields to protect the top and back of our heads too?

Blazestorm
12-26-2004, 11:41 PM
http://www.warpig.com/paintball/tournament/psp/2004/cup/gallery/xball/IMG8018.jpg

Odd, taken from a worldcup picture off warpig... same area is exposed, unmodified proflex mask.

:eek: :rolleyes:

tony3
12-27-2004, 12:20 AM
This just proves they dont care about your safety or enforceing the rules. :wow: and you choose not to follow them and must not care about your own Safety.

Follow the herd is, lets not follow the rules like everybody else

You are right, exactly right. I use the stock proflex mask and my ears are exposed and I haven't done anything to that region. Therefore, I hope I get shot in the ear. BTW I wear a beanie which is always covering my ear.

Edit: heres a good shot of me playing. Notice the only modified part of my flex is the top of the ear piece, makes it simpler when I need to put the strap in. That is one of my short beanies. Just so you know, I HAVE been shot there, and I was fine. Ear rung for a few minutes but I was fine. It was a bunker move too.

http://www.jayloo.com/files/pics/9000/DSC02144_1280.JPG

RobAGD
12-27-2004, 12:45 AM
Just ask Bob Long about the 2 min he got at the WC for modified goggles he was wearing in the coaches box, mean while 2 of his players were wearing modified goggles on the field ;)

Just a note why do you think Starange made it to the finals to play Philly ? Sure as hell isnt for the quality of thier game. Oh yea it might be because they are the only Western Confernace SP sponcered team :eek: :cool: :dance:

Any way, you can even double up the VF straps using Spectra ones. Most of the guys on my team have some off ball Spectra strap ober thier VF strap.

-R

-=Squid=-
12-27-2004, 12:58 AM
Shut up Beemer.

- Goro

Blazestorm
12-27-2004, 01:21 AM
Haha Rob, that's why I have the grey one for tournaments :D

Beemer
12-27-2004, 10:48 AM
Shut up Beemer.
in the words of a 12yr old with a kiddie sig :rofl:

I'd never hold the field against me getting shot in the ear, hell with my JT Proflex I got shot in the side of the head from 30 feet away and I went deaf for about 30 minutes in that ear, where's the protection then? I had un-modified the mask, yet I went deaf for 30 minutes from a standard shot to my ear?

And you LEARNED nothing from this event.

I'm sorry I have offended you with my special mod,
You didnt offend me. I just care about your safety but see what happens when somebody tries to care. They get told to shut up, and all I hear is everybody else does it so it must be ok even if it is against the rules. You dont follow safety rules so I could ASSUME you dont follow other Game rules as well, because everybody else isnt.

Therefore, I hope I get shot in the ear.
Gee and why would you hope this????

Ear rung for a few minutes but I was fine. It was a bunker move too.
Aside from some possible minor permanent damage, Ya youre fine, Thankfully.........

the small portion of ear protection I lost is not going to cause death or serious injury.
All I have to say to this is you need to be more informed.

You would think if you were smart you would want MORE protection not LESS.

Go ask youre daddies who is liable when you or someone else is hurt and some of the gear
has been modded.

Here is a SMART post from this Thread http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=162139&page=1&pp=40

I prepare to take a hit anywhere on my body. I can't play as effectively unless I know that no matter what, the paintballs are'nt gonna actually hurt me. I wear a cup, a neck guard, and put a chin strap on my goggles. It's about confidence.

And yes, I have taken a hit to the cup. My old boss who got me into paintball took a hit to the balls in a woodsball game and ended up in the hospital, with stitches, and one working nut down. People don't take the issue seriously enough. It really blows my mind that the majority people walk out onto the speedball field without protection.

Peace Out
Beemer

tony3
12-27-2004, 11:33 AM
K.

-=Squid=-
12-27-2004, 11:37 AM
in the words of a 12yr old with a kiddie sig :rofl:
k

Blazestorm
12-27-2004, 02:14 PM
By the way, I'm 15... and the sig is a joke from Family Guy...

Honestly, I haven't insulted you at all, but you are doing the same to me right now.

I understand your concern about my safety, but I think I'll be ok, I don't wear a cup, nor neck guard, or chin strap, because they aren't neccessary. I've taken many in the nads, hurts like a ***** and I have trouble breathing afterwords.

Honestly, if you cared about my safety, you could have simply said "This isn't good for the mask, it's less safe and you could get hurt." instead of ranting on about everything.

I believe tony meant to say "I hope I don't get shot in the ear" he was thinking to type the don't but he didn't actually do it.

About getting shot in the ear, I learned that JT masks suck. :D (Not really) I've been shot in the side of the head numerous times with my profiler, (In fact I did a run-through at a local field recently against a future oakland assassins player, he shot be about 12-14 times... three-four in the mask and in the head) Without the extra protection... I was fine. :rolleyes:

It's nice to know people care about my safety, but according to you, I don't. :rolleyes: