PDA

View Full Version : When you buy gear, what's more important?

Tyger
12-27-2004, 04:35 AM
Yep, stirring it up again. Just asking what's more important when you go out and buy gear. Such are questions that I get when I *still* can't play. (On the bright side, I've been told in Feb I can go snowboarding, so if I can go snowboarding, that means paintball is a go. w00t!) Just curious...

-Tyger

Target Practice
12-27-2004, 04:39 AM
Mask. You can go cheap with every other piece of equipment, just don't go cheap on the mask.

Tyger
12-27-2004, 04:40 AM
Mask. You can go cheap with every other piece of equipment, just don't go cheap on the mask.

...you replied while I was typing in the poll... Dang... THAT'S fast!

Target Practice
12-27-2004, 04:42 AM
...you replied while I was typing in the poll... Dang... THAT'S fast!

Got nothing better to do at a quarter to two in the morning... :)

Heretic
12-27-2004, 04:43 AM
With no local proshop I always buy onlne so before I do I always read everything possible, woot tyger is almost ready to start up again. My thursdays suck with out a little new webdog.

Enemy
12-27-2004, 05:03 AM
ill admit it i buy my the brand but more on personal experience use and knowlegde of the product if i aint heard of the company making it then i aint buying it!!!

RRfireblade
12-27-2004, 08:26 AM
Should have allowed for multiple choices.Depending on the item there are different criteria for the purchase, IMO.

Pump Scout
12-27-2004, 08:39 AM
Performance, followed closely by need of item. I hate buying things twice if I can avoid it, so I always try to buy quality. OK, I'm cheap, too. Gotta recognize a quality product when you're as cheap as I am!

Trina
12-27-2004, 09:54 AM
Hey Tyger!! :D I always go looks first, then quality, and function...but I will never buy something that looks good, but is made crappy. It's always been a challenge finding paintball gear that looks good on a girl.

LaW
12-27-2004, 09:58 AM
Well women will always go with how the item looks... color is always a factor!

But anyhow I would say that it has to be able to do what I expect it to do all the time. But I would say I just buy what I need when I need it. I guess the two go hand-in-hand for me. I have never been one to buy into any hype, buy anything because its made by a certain company, or a so-called "Pro" player is shooting it so it must be good kind of person.

meshaq
12-27-2004, 10:00 AM
When buying a product, I usually read up on what other people have experienced with it.
Just so I know I'm not buying a piece of junk.
When I look for gear, this is how I look for it:
performance-so I know its going to work
brand name-so I know what to expect as far as quality and customer service
style- ya gotta look good

aovboy
12-27-2004, 10:18 AM
I want function over form, but looks are a close second. It's fifty percent what you've got, and fifty percent of what people think you've got, right? :rolleyes:

FireITup14
12-27-2004, 10:34 AM
i look at the price. :p am i the only cheap person here? but money is usually a major factor when i purchase new equipment.

WenULiVeUdiE
12-27-2004, 10:49 AM
I'm cheap. But if spending an extra $40 means I get something I like and will last long, I'll do it. But most of what you listed in the poll does matter to me. I want it to perform well, but dont want it to look bad either. Brand name does matter to me, as long as the name means quality.

bballe336
12-27-2004, 11:11 AM
the first three matter to me so i bought a dye invision mask and full dye gear.

SAW
12-27-2004, 01:23 PM
Performance is what I always look for in equipment (hence the Mags). I would rather go out a spend money on a gun that I know will work when I need it, than spend a few extra bucks on another probably less-reliable piece.
Looks aren't too much of a problem. Sure, it may not look as "cool" or "sweet" as other branded products, but in my experiences those "cool" things tend to break.
Just my 2 cents.

68magOwner
12-27-2004, 01:45 PM
well, im not voting because i could go a couple ways with that poll

i always want my stuff to perform well and research it, but, i cant honestly say i dont care at all about style, it is also nice if i can get it locally

i guess everything but the logo and the last one, because sometimes i dont have the $$$ you know

GT
12-27-2004, 05:10 PM
performance and relibility. I have owned enough guns to know that a few bps in hype isnt worth the dowtime.

ojhspyro89
12-27-2004, 05:16 PM
I buy what i can afford and semi what i want. Stuff that is really expensive is just kinda dumb like a 50 dollar jersy. I dont even have a jersey or pants and without them doesnt make me a worse player. Im more for the "it works" kinda thing. I just need something that will make my whole set up work. Plus i have like no income so i get the cheapest stuff around.

DiSoRdeR
12-27-2004, 06:46 PM
How it performs and how it looks are two factors I always look at.

Lohman446
12-27-2004, 07:06 PM
I am just so so wrong... I buy whatever will make my teammates and friends most jealous :D

I then wear jeans and t-shirts to play in - I dont think I used my C4 gear more than half a dozen times this year - and I play every week almost

trevorjk
12-27-2004, 07:25 PM
I just bought an Indian Creek Engineering Panther VTS *3p110127* so what catagory would that put me under? :cool:

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
12-27-2004, 08:46 PM
How it performs, and how it looks are equal on everything for me.

Except when it comes to a marker, where I will take substance over flash.

chaos lichen
12-27-2004, 10:16 PM
I just want my stuff to work, well and without a problem, when a go I want to play. :shooting: I can maintain my stuff at home.

pump
12-27-2004, 11:17 PM
gear?

like soft good?

or like on offs or regulators

Miscue
12-27-2004, 11:45 PM
Pretending that price is equal, I think of it like this:

Function = 1.5 points
Looks = 1 point

Product A: 10 Units Looks, 5 Units Function = 7.5 points
Product B: 10 Units Function, 5 Units Looks = 20 points
Product C: 7 Units Funtion, 15 Units Looks = 25.5 points

I'd pick C.

I generally buy the bang-for-the-buck stuff. I'll get the most expensive if it is significantly superior to others. I don't buy for the cool-factor, I simply do not care. However, if I had to buy a jersey - and a Brass Eagle one was $5, and a hypothetically identical Dye jersey was $20 - I'd get the Dye jersey. :p

hitech
12-28-2004, 04:29 PM
Should have allowed for multiple choices.Depending on the item there are different criteria for the purchase, IMO.

I would have to agree.

There are "brands" that I trust, and "brands" that I don't...

:cheers:

Miscue
12-28-2004, 11:16 PM
I would have to agree.

There are "brands" that I trust, and "brands" that I don't...

:cheers:

I bought a Lapco barrel kit because Colin seems to be very anal with how a barrel should be made - attention to detail. These things are not cheap, and I know full well that I could get a cheaper kit that would work fine. But I have a respect for workmanship, even if does not make it "better." And he'll talk about how good his products are, but he does not hype anything. This I respect, and I'll spend a few more bucks because of it.

There are companies that I will not buy from - particularly those that hype or outright lie about their products.

tasker89
12-29-2004, 06:24 PM
Tyger - I have to say as a long time Magger and player...that function has always come first for me. If it doesn't work, why own it?

JoshK
12-29-2004, 06:28 PM
That poll needs to have multiple answers turned on....seriously...i buy stuff when i need it...and i need my stuff to perform...but then i also like some other stuff....

I voted the last one btw :shooting:

barrel break
12-29-2004, 09:32 PM
price to performance ratio, needs to be not too expensive while deliviering. I'm a miser.