PDA

View Full Version : Sear rod length question

Mer
12-27-2004, 04:16 PM
Could someone explain to me or point me to a link that explains what will happen with an improperly adjusted sear rod?

Does the relationship between the sear rod and the trigger change over time so you need the 1/16" + or - of clearance?

If it does not it would seem that as long as there is clearance between the rod and back of the trigger in the gassed up state there should be no problem.

Does AGD custom adjust every sear rod to the individual frame or is the specified dimension simply one that will insure it will work with any AGD frame that is installed?

I've looked and all that I can find is "Just don't do it" explanations.

Thanks,

Eric

Muzikman
12-27-2004, 04:29 PM
All AGD frames (Carbon fiber, Z-grip, Intelliframe and Y-Grip) are all built to the same specs. Each sear rod is adjusted to the same length. So if you are using one of those frames and have not messed with the trigger rod you should be good.

If you are using another frame, Benchmark, DYE, Rogue, etc... they may or may not be built to the same exact specs. There for the rod may or may not be correct.

The key being, don't play with the rod unless you REALLY have to. The rods are adjusted and then the clevis is crimped closed so that the rod will not move. Once you break it free, it can move on it's own unless you use lock-tite. Rule of thumb, leave it alone, but if you insist on adjusting it there must be no less than the thickness of a match book cover between the back of the trigger and the rod when gased up and all the way forward.

trains are bad
12-27-2004, 10:02 PM
it would seem that as long as there is clearance between the rod and back of the trigger in the gassed up state there should be no problem.

This is true. You can move them if you want and in my experience there is enough tension in the clevis that it will not move by itself. You always want a little slack with the marker aired up, is all.

Mer
12-28-2004, 08:58 AM
Thanks everyone.

Eric

Dayspring
12-28-2004, 10:04 AM
Well, one reason you don't adjust it is because that's the one part that engages the on/off pin. You change the relationship and the travel of the sear and you can get a gun that won't work b/c you've used all the travel & it won't push the pin in enough to fire (If you over-shorten the sear pin) or you lengthen it and the sear doesn't completely drop out of the way of the bolt.