PDA

View Full Version : Dye Throttle v Crossfire/Centerflag

Pate
12-27-2004, 06:39 PM
Ok, well I went to my locla shop today to get some prices they had for tanks. They carry a 72/45 dye throttle tank for $240 US. I was wondering if it is worth the extra 40 or so bucks to get the Dye throttle over say a centerflag or crossfire?? The tank I held was very light (compared to holding my co2 tanks), but would there be any weight difference between a Dye vs other brands??

Thanks for the help again.

WenULiVeUdiE
12-27-2004, 06:46 PM
You wouldnt be able to notice a difference while playing. I dont think the throttle is worth the extra 40. Crossfire makes great stuff.

68magOwner
12-27-2004, 07:20 PM
crossfire is the best screw in system IMO

MonsterMag
12-27-2004, 07:22 PM
crossfire is the best screw in system IMO

Yes crossfire owns all :headbang:

can'tthink of1
12-27-2004, 07:37 PM
Centerflag has smaller and lighter regs than crossfire with the same performance.

Centerflag>crossfire

But, centerflag+crossfire>everything else

as far as presets go atleast.

MonsterMag
12-27-2004, 07:39 PM
Crossfire have no drop off and Have a uper fast recharge rate :headbang:

afultz075
12-27-2004, 08:07 PM
You should also look into the new Legion Air screw-ins from MacDev.

Pate
12-27-2004, 09:08 PM
OK cool, thanks for the replies.

I will be going with the crossfire 68/45 cause its just under 200.

Also, anyone have experience with loksoks??

bballe336
12-27-2004, 09:09 PM
best tank on the market is air america. it has the fastest recharge rate in the world and they rock.

aovboy
12-27-2004, 09:24 PM
Yeah, AA has some uber-fast recharge and great customer service. When they say lifetime warranty, they mean it. Problem is, you have to pay atleast $250 for a decent reg/bottle combo from them. And avoid the old Stainless Steel regs on certain tanks. Those make for some HEAVY setups.

atm743
12-27-2004, 09:33 PM
same problem happen to me!!:D

get the crossfire the recharging rate on them is soo fast!!!! plus i never had a problem with mine. i wish i still have it :D

nt2004
12-27-2004, 09:42 PM
DO NOT BUY A THROTTLE IF YOU OWN AN AUTOMAG!!!!

You have been warned. They output 650 and it starves the gun. My friend bought one and he kept having all these unexplained problems with his mag like bolt stick and random chuffing. Well someone on here mentioned their throttle not outputting enough so we hooked it to a guage and it read 650. But if you dont own a mag you should be ok. I reccomend the crossfire though

chaos lichen
12-27-2004, 10:09 PM
I have a crossfire and it is amazing, just don't buy a throttle it is really a poor air system.

Evil1
12-28-2004, 02:51 AM
I too have heard the throttles are garbage. I know a guy who has one and he likes his 47/3k better. The throttle also has a shraeder pin valve like a bike tire valve on the reg. I think for the money you spend on it, it should have a quality pin valve like every other tank on the market. Crossfires are very good for the money. Alot of my friends have crossfires and they never complain about them. My buddy had a centerflag on his DM4 and he raved about it. If you want a pretty cheap adjustable you shouldlook into the nitro duck x stream. I have had an x stream for almost 2 years now and it has never let me down and it is one of the best tanks I've ever owned and I've owned many over the years. If you are shooting an rt mag though the x stream won't get you the high pressures for good reactivity but they work good for other guns.

SpecialBlend2786
12-28-2004, 02:52 AM
i never had any problems with my throttle. maybe i just got lucky :confused:

t33kyboy
12-28-2004, 03:20 AM
Kinda off topic but how good is Nitroduck compared to Crossfire/Centerflag...

Rift
12-28-2004, 03:27 AM
Nitroduck systesm are awsome and just as good as the crossfire and centerflags the only thing you might notice is a litle bit of a weight difference because of the tuffskin the nitroducks use.

SpecialBlend2786
12-28-2004, 03:32 AM
Nitroduck systesm are awsome and just as good as the crossfire and centerflags the only thing you might notice is a litle bit of a weight difference because of the tuffskin the nitroducks use.

ducks are also a tad bigger (actually just longer) than centerflags.

Target Practice
12-28-2004, 11:56 AM
Uh...the Throttles have the BEST reg on the market. They're fast AND consistent.

I think that most people are afraid of the Throttles because they are new, and challenging the old guard of HPA. Truth is, they blow Centerflag AND Crossfire out of the water.

tsc
12-28-2004, 11:58 AM
Dye Throttles are the best reg on the market, bar none.

You know how Matrixes are gas hogs?

We put a Throttle on one in the shop and ripped a 30sec string of FA (Trigger job, ahoy!) And while the reg FROSTED OVER it was dumping so much air through it, there was absolutely no drop off, no sputtering... That's the best setup we have in the shop, period. Target Practice here on AO did the trigger job, and can verify that it is indeed FA.

We've also put a Throttle on a mag and had no issues. Maybe your tank was a fluke, the output pressure on presets can vary from the factory-- Crossfire tanks have been known to be as low as 700 and as high as 1100. Straight from the Nerobro's mouth.

nt2004
12-28-2004, 12:12 PM
well my friend kept having those problems, and I disctinctly remember someone on here mentioning the fact that they had to return their throttle because it only output 650. So i checked on Dye's website, it said it should be outputting 800 or so. Well we hooked it to a guage and it read 650. I put his tank on my gun and 3 other mags and they all chuffed more often and bolt sticked past about 5 bps or so.

tsc
12-28-2004, 12:19 PM
So, like I said, the output pressure can vary from the factory? I don't think that's in question here. Why would Dye say the tanks are supposed to output 800 if they manufacture them to output 650? The tank(s) in question were flukes. It happens.

Target Practice
12-28-2004, 12:21 PM
well my friend kept having those problems, and I disctinctly remember someone on here mentioning the fact that they had to return their throttle because it only output 650. So i checked on Dye's website, it said it should be outputting 800 or so. Well we hooked it to a guage and it read 650. I put his tank on my gun and 3 other mags and they all chuffed more often and bolt sticked past about 5 bps or so.

What was your guage setup?

Gumbe
12-28-2004, 12:56 PM
umm i notice people comparing recharge rate, i own a Pure energey 48ci 3000 steel tank(ill be getting a diffrent one) is though any good and why?, i dont know to much about hpa tanks

Vanced
12-28-2004, 01:00 PM
OK cool, thanks for the replies.

I will be going with the crossfire 68/45 cause its just under 200.

Also, anyone have experience with loksoks??

Pate,

I have 2 sets of Loksoks, They are decent & serve their purpose, but I don't use them anymore... Go out and get a Dye Rhino cover or similar Cover-All Tank cover... For the around the same cost you get a lot better tank protection...

It is by far the better choice unless you have a 114ci tank ( that the Rhino's won't fit ), a Nitro Duck with Tuff Skin ( And the Rhino is still a better choice ), or just want the to add the extra color to your gun by sacraficing tank protection...

just my worthless virtual 2 cents...

thejesus
12-28-2004, 01:04 PM

You have been warned. They output 650 and it starves the gun. My friend bought one and he kept having all these unexplained problems with his mag like bolt stick and random chuffing. Well someone on here mentioned their throttle not outputting enough so we hooked it to a guage and it read 650. But if you dont own a mag you should be ok. I reccomend the crossfire though

I learned the hard way on this one. Although my throttle had an output of ~800psi it's recharge was still inadequate to keep up with my emag. Anybody want to buy a throttle ;)

P8NTBALLER590
12-28-2004, 01:32 PM
What was your guage setup?
we used a shocktech mini guage on a gas thru running to his gun. Even if the guage wasnt accurate, it still wouldnt allow the guns to fire without countless problems

oh sorry if the reply confuses you, i was there when they tested the tank

SAW
12-28-2004, 03:15 PM
You can never go wrong with a crossfire or centerflag. That's my vote.

TheTramp
12-28-2004, 03:38 PM
Uh...the Throttles have the BEST reg on the market. They're fast AND consistent.

I think that most people are afraid of the Throttles because they are new, and challenging the old guard of HPA. Truth is, they blow Centerflag AND Crossfire out of the water.

I'd like to see the recharge graphs that Dye uses for this claim. Everything I've ever read puts Centerflag and Crossfire at the top.

Just because it's "Dye" doesn't make it crap (as some people think) but neither does it make it the best.

I'd love to see a pre-set test like the one HaveBlue did for in-lines at Air Soldier.

Lethargic
12-28-2004, 05:34 PM

Not to be a stiffly stifferson about it, but the Throttles are output 750, not 650. Thats what it says on the box mine came in, and thats what my friends at the local shop have confirmed.

Personally, I've yet to have a problem with my tank, and I've been using it on my mag for a good year and then some. It all depends on your setup I guess.

That said, there is no real reason to get it over any other tank. The only thing the throttle has going for it is the black reg, versus a steel silver one on any other tanks. I suppose it would be a tad lighter, but I never noticed. Anyway, save the cash and get a crossfire. Those are great tanks as well.

Pate
12-28-2004, 05:41 PM
Thanks alot for the replies guys.

With the extra 40 bucks ill be getting a new harness and a redz tank cover(thats with a 20 off coupon from county :headbang: )

SpecialBlend2786
12-28-2004, 05:42 PM
Throttles ARE pretty light. They also come with a bottle bag (offers no protection but looks nice, protects from scratches and stuff). Once again, never had any problems with mine on my minimag, micromag, RT-ULE and then on my emag.

nt2004
12-29-2004, 10:48 AM
Not to be a stiffly stifferson about it, but the Throttles are output 750, not 650. Thats what it says on the box mine came in, and thats what my friends at the local shop have confirmed.

Personally, I've yet to have a problem with my tank, and I've been using it on my mag for a good year and then some. It all depends on your setup I guess.

That said, there is no real reason to get it over any other tank. The only thing the throttle has going for it is the black reg, versus a steel silver one on any other tanks. I suppose it would be a tad lighter, but I never noticed. Anyway, save the cash and get a crossfire. Those are great tanks as well.
Yeah it said it was supposed to be 850, which was why I was suprised to find out it only outputted 650. Just be careful when buying one or save yourself some cash and buy a crossfire.

Pate
12-29-2004, 03:19 PM
Which would be better, a Centerflag or a Crossfire??

On paintballgateway, the centerflag is cheaper, is there any performance difference??

tasker89
12-29-2004, 06:19 PM
We just launched a new regulator called the 4CE (pronounced "force") which will begin shipping at the end of January. If you are interested in a trade-ins, that info will be available soon. Stop by our website and check it out! :headbang:

CenterFlag regs are smaller and lighter than the competition, are built with a dedicated one-way fill path and an intergrated filter and our flow rate will keep up with any available marker.

www.centerflagproducts.com

:dance:

SpecialBlend2786
12-29-2004, 06:21 PM
Which would be better, a Centerflag or a Crossfire??

On paintballgateway, the centerflag is cheaper, is there any performance difference??

centerflag > everything else

the123
12-29-2004, 10:26 PM
centerflag > everything else
:)

tasker89
12-30-2004, 10:29 AM
LOL!! Thanks guys... :headbang:

How's that gradeschool saying about "greater than/less than" go? Something about the alligator eats the bigger amount. :ninja: