PDA

View Full Version : Rhetorical question

Tyger
12-31-2004, 12:05 AM
I'm just curious to this. Yes, still not playing, just thinking about stuff, which sucks.

But let's say you have two jerseys on the market. "Jersey A" and "Jersey B". Both have cool graphics, similar cut, good color schemes, almost the same price and all that. But the word is that "Jersey A" was made with fabric that has a "teflon" protective layer on the fibers of the fabric. Not only does it wipe well, but paint moving at high velocity that breaks will simply fly off the material. (Don't laugh, they can do it...)

My question is both for rec and tournament players. Given all other things as being equal, would you buy "Jersey A" over "Jersey B"?

PT starts on the 3rd, so hopefully I can stop THINKING about paintball and actually get back out there...

-Tyger

eddie885221
12-31-2004, 12:15 AM
good question, i say jersey B, i dont wanna play cheap

teufelhunden
12-31-2004, 12:19 AM
Jersey A in a heartbeat.

DWill
12-31-2004, 12:25 AM
Jersey B I don't wanna be cheap :nono:

wes
12-31-2004, 12:26 AM
its a RHETORICAL question

teufelhunden
12-31-2004, 12:31 AM

Which he clearly posted for answers and discussion.

ojhspyro89
12-31-2004, 12:31 AM

I had to look it up, now im one more word closer to actually having a vocabulary!

Rhetorical: asked merely for effect with no answer expected

I dont wear a jersey and i really dont plan on wearing one unless i get on a team but i still think T shirts would work.

I think that the whole jersey thing would be a big hit and itd be the next thing to be banned in paintball just like that one jersey that has like too much padding or something.

-=Squid=-
12-31-2004, 12:33 AM
What's the point in asking a question like this if it's rhetorical? I would take A, just because almost everyone would, whether they admit it or not.

- Goro

LittlePaintballBoy
12-31-2004, 12:34 AM
A, and every idiot who says B knows they would take A in a heartbeat.

Muzikman
12-31-2004, 12:35 AM
As long as there is no rule against wearing jersey A, I would buy it. I don't look at it as easy to whip, but maybe prevent me from getting a "break". I look at this the same way people look for masks that give them more bounce.

BTW: I am a stand up player and do not cheat. But I look at gear that helps you and there is no rule against it....go for it. I still play with slow mechanical guns...I need all the edge I can get:)

Gabriel
12-31-2004, 12:37 AM
although i dont wipe, the fact that broken paint might fly off would deffinately persuade me the buy jersey A. Give a new meaning to the word bounce, maybe?

personman
12-31-2004, 12:54 AM
Which he clearly posted for answers and discussion.
Is it just me or is that an oxymoron? :confused:

-=Squid=-
12-31-2004, 01:14 AM
Is it just me or is that an oxymoron? :confused:
It's just you.

- Goro

personman
12-31-2004, 01:15 AM
kthx just checking

-=Squid=-
12-31-2004, 01:18 AM
kthx just checking
Any time.

- Goro

magman007
12-31-2004, 01:57 AM
i think this is more or less related to the new dye c5 jerseys, which personally i think are hot. it appears to be using "dazzle" material, like on gymshorts, or many pro jerseys in other sports. not only do i like the look, and the feel of the material, but the added idea that it is easy to wipe/have paint graze off of it, is interesting. i never thought of this until elpimpo posted it. now i for one do not wipe, nor will i ever wipe a hit, and i dont plan to either. not to mention i dont slide hits off etc etc. i just think the jerseys look pimp

68magOwner
12-31-2004, 02:09 AM
as honorable as it would be to say B, i would take A, definately, if the products are the same price, and one will give you and edge (no i wouldnt wipe, but, if the hit just flew off...) then I would take the one that gave me the edge

Enemy
12-31-2004, 02:55 AM
im going to take jersey A, ofcoarse this would be a tourny only jersey as i dont believe in having every edge when im playing recball!

White_Noise
12-31-2004, 03:12 AM
jersey A, if theyre the same price, and A is better...why wouldnt you get it?

Tyger
12-31-2004, 03:47 AM

I was wondering when someone would bring that up.

It just struck me as one of those things that I'd like to know, but I don't want to have my suspisions confirmed kind of things? Hense why it's rhetorical.

-Tyger

Blazestorm
12-31-2004, 04:00 AM
Jersey A, it would give me an advantage yet is still legal, if I can get shot and it won't count (Similar to a bounce) It's something I'll take to advantage.

But that would quickly be outlawed by most if not all tournaments.

I'm not saying I'd use Jersey A because it would let me cheat, I'd use it because it would give me an advantage.

It's like using an electro marker over a pump, they'll have nearly the same consistency, efficiency, accuracy, but ROF is where they differ, The Electro allows me to keep opponents inside their bunkers and shoot them quicker off the break, pump does not let me do that.

If Jersey A would make certain hits disappear (The paint slides right off, even without wiping it) that's an advantage over Jersey B.

Bah I'm tired... I've been up since wednesday... and it's friday... :eek: about 30 hours awake... ugh not good

nippinout
12-31-2004, 05:47 AM
I would be against the teflon jersey.

It's basically a passive wipe. Say you get a hit square on the chest, but the paint just drips off like nothing happened. Solid and clean hit, but it magically disappears.

You can't fairly compare the advantage of the jersey to the example give by Blazestorm, where he compares ROF of electro and pump. The object of the game isn't to shoot insanely fast. The object of the game is to eliminate. The fast electro helps you get the job done. The teflon jersey just makes the job for the ref a lot harder. It may not be in the scope of the rules, but you went out of your way to buy a jersey where paint can't stick to it.

If you get hit off the break, you can do a Superman to try to rub the hit off. You didn't use your hands, but its still wiping. Using the teflon jersey isn't the same technique, but the purpose is the same.

Lohman446
12-31-2004, 08:53 AM
Option A - just to annoy 50% of AO? Ok, just to show off to my team? Ok... I'm sure I have a reason that is not egotistical in nature... give me a minute... I'll think of one... ahh screw it I'm a jerk :D

SteelSoul
12-31-2004, 09:21 AM
B
Dont wipe, and I dont need a special jersey to wipe for me.
Yall are looking for an advantage, how about u learn to play better so you dont have to count on a jersey to cheat for you :nono:
And if you do get hit just have the honor to rasie you hand, walk of the field and play harder next round so you dont get shot.

teufelhunden
12-31-2004, 09:27 AM
The only way you're never going to get hit is by staying behind the net, not by "getting better." Some of us already don't suck and have learned to take every advantage we can get with our equipment.. the same way you wear lighter pads in football, better sneakers in basketball, and keep your skates as sharp as they can be in football.

Bear_Claw
12-31-2004, 09:46 AM
Maybe im a sucker for honesty but i to would opt for the T-Shirt i wear now lol. Or the Jersy b if i had to pick.

I am also not a big beliver in refs HAVEING to do paint check if your hit you know it . Mayb thats my woodsball roots talking but thats just the way i think. I miss the days of guys walking off the feild after getting hit and the paint did not break. the simple fact that you were hit ment you were out. I still instictively walk off befor cheking if the paint broke its just the way i learned the game. I admit i DONT play ALOT of speedballl andam just getting into it and enjoying it but am very turned off by the dishonesty factor of the game. Dont get me wrong there is PLENTY of dishonesty in woodsball but it just seems more soo on this side of the fence.

Boy tyger you shure make some good though provoking threads lol.

minimag03
12-31-2004, 03:51 PM
B- I don't need help wipping, I'm already really good at it....j/k

I'd probley take A. It is the same price, and offers more bounces. This is like asking why we wear baggy cloths compared to regular stuff.

minimag03

Blazestorm
12-31-2004, 04:09 PM
BTW If you play on a decent field with refs watching every player, they would catch you getting shot, and pull you even without any paint on you.

I'm not for cheating, but I'm sure as hell going to do anything to give myself an advantage. It's like baggy clothing or pads, I don't do a lot of sliding, but I still wear elbow and knee pads for the sole purpose of bounces. I wear baggy clothing for bounces, I wear a profiler because they're comfy and I've seen people get shot square in the nose, and it caught the ball. I wear a jersey that is baggy... For bounces.

Now if you're going to call me a cheater because I'm looking for an advantage... if I get shot, I don't check myself to see if it broke, the ref sees no paint, I'm still in. Same thing as if it's a bounce. Nobody has anything against padded headgear or baggy clothing.

You post this on PBN, 9/10 people would choose Jersey A, and about 100-200 people would reply, not 30 people who play paintball every 2 weeks or once a month which is typical of AO, (Some don't even play anymore). Whereas PBN has people who play 2 times a week (I try to) and play competitive tournament ball.

And about the pump-electro comparison, the point is to elimination but also not get eliminated because that conflicts with the first purpose. The electro is giving me an advantage of not getting eliminated, if I can shoot them out faster, lowering the chance of me getting eliminated.

Who the hell WOULDN'T increase their chances of living, even if it is in the grey area, I play paintball to win, if there's a grey area, I'm going to walk it.

Bear_Claw
12-31-2004, 04:28 PM
^^^HMMM and here i though we all played paintball for FUN.

I am not out there to WIN im ou to have fun get my blood pumping and enjoy the GAME. There really is no GREY area in my books your hit you walk out PERIOD.

But as i said this is my belefie and Obviously not a wide spread one.

Gabriel
12-31-2004, 04:46 PM
Say you get a hit square on the chest, but the paint just drips off like nothing happened. Solid and clean hit, but it magically disappears.

It may not be in the scope of the rules, but you went out of your way to buy a jersey where paint can't stick to it.

If you get hit square in the chest, it wont just drip off. The point was made for those angle shots where it barely breaks on your shoulder or arm. And you wouldnt be going out of your way to buy it if they are priced the same and sold at the same place.

Blazestorm
12-31-2004, 05:12 PM
^^^HMMM and here i though we all played paintball for FUN.

I am not out there to WIN im ou to have fun get my blood pumping and enjoy the GAME. There really is no GREY area in my books your hit you walk out PERIOD.

But as i said this is my belefie and Obviously not a wide spread one.

So if you get hit, and it bounces, you're going to walk out?

If I played against you and EVERY game I shot you off the break, you didn't even get to shoot. You would still be having fun?

I'm out there to have fun, yes that's mainly what I do throughout the week, but when I play in tournaments I'm there to win, because if I win, I make money. (Prizes... sell prizes... make money...) And if something is going to help that, I'm going to use it.

My local tournament series just allowed ramping, simply because they're too hard to catch, so now ramping is LEGAL. I don't plan to take advantage of it, because that would require more time and money then it's worth, I only carry one pod with me.

Bear_Claw
12-31-2004, 06:03 PM
First of yes i dont even look at weather it broke or not if im hit i walk off. Second i HAVE yet to be hit of the brake yet soo i dout getting me EVERY game is a fesible idea.

But lets just go along with it any who if i were to be taken out EVERY game i honestly would not be haveing fun BUT would i be have any more fun by Cheating my beliefs No i would not. If i am being taken out off the break every game i would SERIOUSLY need some help on my game.

I have not played turnys so i cant comment on it but if turnys are a group of guys playing and doing everything in there power (including cheating) to win for some $$$ at the end i want NOTHING to do with it. What is the purpose of the turnoment it is a game to prove the best of the best NOT who can get away with more to get the Cash.

I Could make $$ by charging People more $$$ than nessisary for the job i do on a car and it is NOT against the rules and i WOULD get away with it BUT i dont. I bust my rear Fixing Buses and doing small work on the side

TDonovan
12-31-2004, 06:11 PM
If I had to pick between the 2 jersey's, I'd definitely take B. I don't like the idea of having paint slide right off. I think it's cheating, and that's something I never do.

teufelhunden
12-31-2004, 06:13 PM
You know, it isn't cheating, nor is it grey area if you play through a bounce. Not that there's an official set of paintball rules, but every set I've seen says you need a quarter sized blob of paint on you for it to be an elim, not to get hit.

phantomhitman
12-31-2004, 09:00 PM
jersey a
since i am a "tourney" player and use uber fast guns, as well as gettign shot at by uber fast guns, i would get this jersey. anything that helps.

Blazestorm
01-01-2005, 12:55 AM
You know, it isn't cheating, nor is it grey area if you play through a bounce. Not that there's an official set of paintball rules, but every set I've seen says you need a quarter sized blob of paint on you for it to be an elim, not to get hit.

There doesn't even have to be a hit on you, if a ref sees a ball hit, all of the paint sprays off, and there's barely a drip ont he player, he's going to pull him, he's not going to check for a hit, he's going to pull him.

If I'm playing with jersey A, I get hit, the paint slides off, the ref sees it and he pulls me. Now if I get hit and the paint slides off, no ref sees it, I didn't check to see if it bounced, it is in my opinion a bounce, the ball hit me, I didn't do anything to the hit, and I'm still in the game, it's a bounce.

I was playing in a local game, somebody came to bunker me, didn't make it but still got a shot off, nobody was watching me and I wasn't going to take the time to reach around and feel for the hit, I stayed in the game and stayed posted on the guy at the 50, I managed to shoot 2-3 more guys out before a ref came over and called me out.

Same thing as having very long bushy hair, if you get shot in the head, the hair could hide the hit, you can't feel it, a ref can't find it, you're still in. Wearing a hat forward with the bill bent, a small dark area where you could be hit and nobody could see it. Wearing very baggy clothing to where all paint bounces off except mask hits. All grey area things that people commonly do. So how would a jersey that's very slick and paint slides off, the ref shouldn't even let you use that jersey in a game, it's like that one team back in the 90's that would coat themselves in vaseline for that sole reason. I knew a guy who would put giant clear stickers on his gear, so that if he got hit, he could rip off the sticker and the hit would be gone.

I don't play tournaments just for the money, I play because it's paintball and it's competitive, it's fun to win. I'm not going to do whatever it takes to win, but I will do things that will give me an advantage, even if they're in the grey area (Pretty much clothing, never guns or wiping).

If you think I'm a cheater, then whatever, I'm the one still in the game and I haven't done anything against the rules.

Torbo
01-01-2005, 02:22 AM
id go with whichever was cheaper, or whichever is made by a company that our field is sponsord by.

ntn4502
01-01-2005, 02:33 AM
A ofcourse, and these questions over the past many months are very dumb if I may add

-=Squid=-
01-01-2005, 02:35 AM
A ofcourse, and these questions over the past many months are very dumb if I may add
Thumbs up.

- Goro

Blazestorm
01-01-2005, 02:36 AM
He's just doing it to start arguements, I've known it since he started the questions... haha :p

master_alexander
01-01-2005, 02:52 AM
a difenatley, but i'm too cheap so an old white t-shirt always works.

"i play in my white tee"

phelix
01-01-2005, 03:14 AM
i have another "rhetorical"(the word you were looking for was "hypothetical", champ) question for all you self-righteous aoers - let's say there's two teams in a final of a tournament - both teams are exactly identical - they have the same exact skill level, they shoot the same guns, they wear the same pants and jerseys ;) , and everything else about them is absolutely identical, except for one thing. Team A wipes and wins and Team B doesnt and loses- which one would you rather be?

Blazestorm
01-01-2005, 04:15 AM
I'd actually rather be B, as long as people saw A wiping... if they got away with it... it never really happened now did it ;)

Bear_Claw
01-01-2005, 09:33 AM
Team B. I dont get anything out of cheating for the win. What would you prove that your morals are lower yeh i want to win a prize for that.

Hey what ever floats your boat. I am not saying im right or yor right BUT i am saying what i beleive witch is OBVIOUSLY not too common.

Good luck and have fun.

penguinpunk555
01-01-2005, 01:05 PM
A, then I'd laugh at the people in the B jerseys.

Tyger
01-01-2005, 06:03 PM
He's just doing it to start arguements, I've known it since he started the questions... haha :p

Actually, it's more about starting discussions that don't involve "U SUX" and "Which is better, Gun 1 or Gun 2?"

And it's about being bored to no end because I'm still in recovery from surgery. You'll note I haven't said anything to flame either direction. It's about getting people to think, not argue.

-Tyger

Gabriel
01-01-2005, 06:55 PM
i have another "rhetorical"(the word you were looking for was "hypothetical", champ) question for all you self-righteous aoers

:mad: hey, show some freakin respect. at the very least dont be such a smart *** to a respected member on the forum, mr. 85 posts. Tyger has been around much longer than you may last, and he'll keep on being around. Until you get alittle clout around here show alittle dignity.

Gabe

REDRT
01-02-2005, 05:21 AM
Simplified thinking 101. If a team A or B is or isn't wearing said articles of clothing, but chooses to wipe with any article clothing. Team A or B knows one or the other is don't this, one has only one coarse of thinking. They have a high threshold of pain, so you must in order to achive your goal of winning and to cancel out the wiping factor, bonus ball them off the field.

<Echoes>
01-02-2005, 05:45 AM
The only way you're never going to get hit is by staying behind the net, not by "getting better." Some of us already don't suck and have learned to take every advantage we can get with our equipment.. the same way you wear lighter pads in football, better sneakers in basketball, and keep your skates as sharp as they can be in football.

Yes, but if you want to make that sort of comparison don't make it analogous to better sneakers in basketball...this is more like a built-in piston for the hoop that rejects the ball out of the net every once in a while. Fair? nah.

Oh yeah, I don't know any football players who sharpen their skates. :rofl: :p

I'd actually get jersey B. I would not feel ok with myself if I wore jersey A. These better be cheap jerseys though, else I'd just wear a t-shirt as usual. :)

the larch
01-02-2005, 09:13 PM
I would wear jersey B and then create paintballs that react to teflon upon contact and emit the odor of rotten parmesan cheese (omg smell it some time)
So, the real question is weither you want to win bad enough to really stink doing it? :)

Lurker27
01-02-2005, 10:33 PM
Everyone here would take the best possible legal equipment.

Period.

phelix
01-02-2005, 11:49 PM
:mad: hey, show some freakin respect. at the very least dont be such a smart *** to a respected member on the forum, mr. 85 posts. Tyger has been around much longer than you may last, and he'll keep on being around. Until you get alittle clout around here show alittle dignity.

Gabe
how am i being disrespectful? i dont feel put down when people correct me, knowledge is power.

and i knew that someone would say "it doesnt prove anything if you win by wiping" as an answer to my question. thats why my question was hypothetical - in this case, there IS nothing to prove, because the two teams are identical.

-=Squid=-
01-03-2005, 12:46 AM
knowledge is power.
Then you're about as powerful as the empty Pepsi can in my trash can.

He meant rhetorical you idiot.

- Goro

Gabriel
01-03-2005, 01:00 AM
how am i being disrespectful? i dont feel put down when people correct me, knowledge is power.

and i knew that someone would say "it doesnt prove anything if you win by wiping" as an answer to my question. thats why my question was hypothetical - in this case, there IS nothing to prove, because the two teams are identical.

(the word you were looking for was "hypothetical", champ)

Thats how.

phelix
01-03-2005, 01:46 AM
Then you're about as powerful as the empty Pepsi can in my trash can.

He meant rhetorical you idiot.

- Goro
rhetorical question
n.
A question to which no answer is expected, often used for rhetorical effect.

obviously not what he was looking for. he was expecting an answer.

-=Squid=-
01-03-2005, 01:58 AM
Said by Tyger -

"I was wondering when someone would bring that up.

It just struck me as one of those things that I'd like to know, but I don't want to have my suspisions confirmed kind of things? Hense why it's rhetorical.

-Tyger"

You idiot.

Blazestorm
01-03-2005, 02:03 AM
Actually, it's more about starting discussions that don't involve "U SUX" and "Which is better, Gun 1 or Gun 2?"

And it's about being bored to no end because I'm still in recovery from surgery. You'll note I haven't said anything to flame either direction. It's about getting people to think, not argue.

-Tyger

Well the discussions evolve into arguements... ;)

Hehe, no worries, I can understand why you're bored... hope you get better soon and start-up webdogradio again, I enjoyed watching those web clips... hell sometimes I'd stay up till 3-4 in the morning watching ones I'd already seen. So far the only one that hasn't worked for me was the anti-stick spray on the cleats, ofcourse instead of mud mine are caked in paint shell (indoor field, it's pretty funny actually, they are CAKED in shells from paint...)

White_Noise
01-03-2005, 02:05 AM
squid seriously....before you call someone an idiot....look at what they said:

tyger says that he wanted to know, but didnt want his suspicions confirmed....hence he wanted an answer but didnt...

a rhetorical question is one asked solely to produce an effect: and that effect is to get everybody thinking about how far theyre willing to go to win, etc.

<Echoes>
01-03-2005, 02:07 AM
Everyone here would take the best possible legal equipment.

Period.

Thanks for speaking for everyone, but obviously that's not true. Many (myself included) would feel that such a piece of equipment should not be allowed and therefore refuse to use it.

evan123
01-03-2005, 03:06 AM
A without a doubt

Not only does it give you the upper advantage but it allows you after the game to get those hits off easier so a ref doesn't confuse new hits with old hits.

Tyger
01-03-2005, 03:54 AM
tyger says that he wanted to know, but didnt want his suspicions confirmed....hence he wanted an answer but didnt...

Basically, yes. I'm sad to say that the answer I got was PRETTY much what I expected.

-Tyger

Carbon
01-03-2005, 05:32 AM
I was playing in a local game, somebody came to bunker me, didn't make it but still got a shot off, nobody was watching me and I wasn't going to take the time to reach around and feel for the hit, I stayed in the game and stayed posted on the guy at the 50, I managed to shoot 2-3 more guys out before a ref came over and called me out.

playing on much? In tourneys, assuming the ref has got balls its a 1 for 1. Assuming you played a rec game, not checking yourself or calling for a paitncheck that is pretty weak imho.

hitech
01-03-2005, 01:52 PM
Rhetorical question

Since it is a rhetorical question, I would think you were not looking for an answer. ;)

tyrion2323
01-03-2005, 09:09 PM
(1) I'd take Jersey A. I won't cheat, but I don't mind having gear which helps me. Plus the knowledge that the other team is probably wearing the same materials leads me to believe that it's not even really an advantage. The rules are clear - you need a clear hit on you. If there isn't any paint because it glanced off of your arm, and you didn't wipe it, then it's not cheating.

(2) While I do suspect that there were some desires to stir up trouble with this thread, let's maintain our conduct like adults.

JRingold
01-03-2005, 10:32 PM
You put on choice A and you can expect that you will need one ref for each player... That's not the game I want to play. Why not just wear sponges? If the paint soaks in and doesn't show, isn't that the same effect? Basically what you end up with is a head hunting game...If I hit you in the chest and you aren't out, I'll just aim higher; or worse lower (cup check).

Tyger, what is your choice? Or did I miss that post? Hope you are healing well.

tyrion2323
01-03-2005, 10:35 PM
It's not quite like that, J.

The Jersey wouldn't "make invisible" any direct hits. It's more that any glancing hits would be more likely to spray off of one's arm or shoulder.

JRingold
01-03-2005, 10:48 PM
It's not quite like that, J.

The Jersey wouldn't "make invisible" any direct hits. It's more that any glancing hits would be more likely to spray off of one's arm or shoulder.

Could be, but at the right angle, if it's not a square hit in the chest, there is the possibility that it would glance off. I don't like the idea; maybe I'm too old skool? In my experiences most hits are glancing hits, unless you bunker someone. Most of the time I'm shooting at a leg or arm sticking out where it shouldn't.

phelix
01-04-2005, 04:46 PM
Could be, but at the right angle, if it's not a square hit in the chest, there is the possibility that it would glance off. I don't like the idea; maybe I'm too old skool? In my experiences most hits are glancing hits, unless you bunker someone. Most of the time I'm shooting at a leg or arm sticking out where it shouldn't.
dont forget the straight shootouts where you and your opponents are both shooting at each other's gun/mask

Tyger
01-04-2005, 04:55 PM
Tyger, what is your choice? Or did I miss that post? Hope you are healing well.

It's not really a choice, I'm just guaging the waters if you will. I kinda had an inkling of what the answers would have been, but to be honest I didn't want to hear it.

I'm not looking at buying a new jersey, I've got too many as it is. I just wondered who would go with what, and why. That being said, I knew what I'd see, but I didn't want to see it.

Paintball is changing, and I'm wondering if it's for the better or for worse?

-Tyger

68magOwner
01-04-2005, 06:37 PM
B
Dont wipe, and I dont need a special jersey to wipe for me.
Yall are looking for an advantage, how about u learn to play better so you dont have to count on a jersey to cheat for you :nono:
And if you do get hit just have the honor to rasie you hand, walk of the field and play harder next round so you dont get shot.

well, not one person has said jersey A because they want to wipe, but, they want it to just not have paint on it if they get hit, the same reasone people rock proflexes, other than being a great mask, they get bounce shots. Face it, people WILL get shot, wouldnt you rather have the shot bounce if you do get shot? and if you can legally encourage a bounce, why not. For alot of people here, there is no "play harder the next round", for many of us it is "this is the finals, win now or go home" and you want any legal edge to do it with

Mike Smith
01-04-2005, 10:13 PM
Tyger, can I get my Gatortags jersey, errrr... Tshirt tefloned?

And surgery? What did you run into this time? :rolleyes:

the larch
01-04-2005, 10:29 PM
it's the same idea as cut jerseys (now illegal). Cheap and no skill.

JRingold
01-04-2005, 10:29 PM

-Tyger

Well, that all depends on the people with which you play. I honestly don't see myself playing in any tournaments; well maybe a pump or modified stock class tournament. Mostly because I enjoy recball too much. I don't like watching tournaments, I don't like seeing paint flying in all directions; i don't like seeing as many refs on the field as there are players because no one can be trusted. I guess I'm still old school, maybe too old school. I would like to be able to trust the players on the other team as much as I trust my team mates. I am in support of a one hopper per game limit; I am in support of a reasonable bps limit. Just like a FPS limit. No one likes to get "hot shot" and no one likes to get "lit up". I think accuracy by volume is a bad thing for paintball. I also think I am in the minority there.

Paintball is changing, yes, but only because of the people playing it and their idea of how the sport should be played. It's just like having a fully auto or burst mode firing. It's available, but do you really need it? personally, I don't want it as a feature on my marker because of the potential for mis-use, abuse and accidents.

JRingold
01-04-2005, 10:35 PM
I don't play "bounce", if I get hit and I know it, I call myself out regardless of the field rules and the size of the mark. I'd like to see more players like that. It's about Integrity and sportsmanship. It's about the spirit of the rule, not the letter of the rule.

athomas
01-05-2005, 12:57 PM
I'd take jersey A. All else being equal, and the jersey being legal, then I am taking that advantage along with the next guy. I may not agree with the ability to use the jersey, but its legal so I use it. I don't agree with high speed electro guns either, but I have an Emag and an Angel just so I can be as competitive as the other teams.

SSMercury
01-10-2005, 01:48 AM
B. Based on the description, it sounds like it breathes better, and anything to avoid chugging water like a fish is good for me.

Also, I like making things difficult, and I don't step to the shady.

Naby
01-10-2005, 03:21 PM
I don't play "bounce", if I get hit and I know it, I call myself out regardless of the field rules and the size of the mark. I'd like to see more players like that. It's about Integrity and sportsmanship. It's about the spirit of the rule, not the letter of the rule.

I agree 100%

Just think about the bounces. The only reason why bounced balls don't count is because it would be very difficult to say if someone got hit or not. Theoretically if, you get hit, you should be out (break or bounce) but for practical reason, bounced balls don't count. Therefore, wearing any equipment designed to encourage bounces, wiping, "paint not sticking", etc is, in my opinion, going against the spirit of the rule, even if it is not strictly forbidden by the word of it.

During the olympics, I thought it was sad to look at the swimming competition. It seemed that the teflon coated bathing suits had as much if not more to do with the winning than actual physical capabilities of the athletes. It was pathetic.

athomas
01-10-2005, 04:32 PM
A jersey like that only causes bounces on balls that may or may not break anyway. It helps them not break or if they barely break, the tiny bit of paint gets wisked away easily. They won't make a poor player suddenly good due to him being unable to be hit, just like me wearing a teflon bathing suit won't make me win the swimming competition in the olympics. :D

"the FitZ"
01-10-2005, 06:07 PM
guys guys, come on. let's not beat around the bush here. we'll all soak ourselves in paint thinner and be virtually invincible.

but seriously jersey A all the way and to those of you who choose B i'll see you on the field ;)

C_22
01-10-2005, 06:37 PM

-Tyger

Funny, I had a similar conversation with a guy about how PB has changed (evolved IMHO). Since I'm not into purity baths and this is rhetorical, thou shall no be answered :argh:

FSU_Paintball
01-10-2005, 06:38 PM
Blah. I never wipe, but I'd have to choose jersey A. Being honest sucks.

Edit:

Although, after reading this thread, I'd like to add that I wouldn't wear such a thing just playing around with some friends. You wear what's appropriate to the appropriate event. I call myself out on small marks if I'm just playing with friends, but I wouldn't feel too bad about wearing Jersey A in a tourney (although, like I said, I'd never wipe)

CaliMagFan
01-10-2005, 07:23 PM
Good question from tyger... I think this speaks to the industry of paintball in more ways than just what jersey we're all going with. Just lemme be a bit of a semantics nazi and say that rhetorical questions are normally used to elicit a response from a person. They're not what people usually say they are, "~a question that doesn't warrant an answer." Anyhow, this rhetorical question has seemed to insite some much needed good dialogue, and I'd like to add my piece.

Last year I bought a pair of paintball pants. I got the 2004 JT Tourney pants cause the price was right and they sounded like a good product. They are.. everything I expected and more. By more I mean that the "padded knees for protection while kneeling" turned out to be "bounce machines." I swear that I can take a shot on those pads on the pants while being bunkered, so within 10 feet, and the ball will bounce. Now, I didnt but the pants for that reason, but I sure as hell dint send them back cause I knew it gave me an edge.

I like to draw parallels with this kind of thing. We all want to shoot umpteen BPS when we play speed ball. Why is that? It's a given advantage. We wear cammoflage in the woods. And why? Because concealment is an edge. Many people wear beanies, sock hats and those samaurai headbands, and why? your skull is hard, and wool is not- bounces are sometimes the difference between games won and games lost. The ricocet hopper was built on the hype that balls would deflect off its oblique angles, thus, you're still in the game.

I won't buy the C5 because I don't like the look, just like I don't buy a fast electro cause I'm scared of batteries. I think we should all accept the changes in the technology of the sport as advancements in the game, not as ways to cheat. If the paint will fly off the ****, which I'm kinda doubtful of, fine, let it. But when you try to wipe the hit knowing it will come off easier, I'll call you for a 3 for 1, for damn sure.

-kyro

gc82000
01-10-2005, 08:04 PM
I am personally not a fan of jerseys of but since I have been in a team I need to be in uniform with the rest of my team. If my team all goes for Jersey A then I will have to get it because my team decided to get , same for Jersey B. I am happ to wear a T-shirt to play rec or tourney. Heck I did it in my first four tournies and the teams I played with won all of them.

I think pants give player more of an advantage then jerseys anyways.

SOAD8789
01-10-2005, 08:42 PM
I play to win, and when i win, i have fun, though i have fun regardless.

jersey A no doubt. Its legal, and it gives me the advantage. i see no problem at all with that. if you think the jersey is "cheating" stop wearing baggy clothes when you play, as they essentially do the same exact thing. i dont wipe, and i dont play on. if a paintball breaks on me, and it leaves a quarter size mark, then i go off the field. simple as that. i follow the rules, but i will walk the grey area.