PDA

View Full Version : Buy/Sell/Trade Rant

Conversekidz
01-03-2005, 10:52 AM
This is my rant of the day. Why do people post "show me what you got threads"?, meaning why do people post that they want to trader super marker XYZ but they never say what they want to trade it for, or better yet the same people say SUPER MEGA XYZ MARKER FOR SALE and they say "make me an offer" then get pissy when people post low offers.

If you are going to sell something say "I would like to get XXX amount for my marker" instead of posting "give me an offer" cause you know people will lowball it for a variaty of reasons. One being that they might infact get XYZ marker for a deal, or simply to irritate and piss off the poster for leaving such an open ended post.

teufelhunden
01-03-2005, 10:59 AM
Hence why you use the PBN B/S/T because it's much larger and has more rules.

Chronobreak
01-03-2005, 01:47 PM
yes ^ btw msot people just skip over and ignore the show me your or looking for post.

if you want soemthing go find it lazy

TheTramp
01-03-2005, 01:54 PM
I don't have any problem with the wtb threads. I've gotten some stuff I need that way.

I do wish however that there was a rule about putting a price in. If you want to hold an auction go to e-bay IMHO.

master_alexander
01-03-2005, 02:07 PM
you are right, i hate thoes wtb threads, you have to look. but sometimes people just happen to have that object that you are looking for and it is not posted. it would be better if there were no wtb threads but i can somehow manage to survive with them.

Lee
01-03-2005, 02:12 PM
relax...it's really not that big of a deal.

DiSoRdeR
01-03-2005, 02:21 PM
The only thing that that bugs me the most in the B/S/T section is when some one makes a thread but when you click on it all there is is a link to another one...

jon-boy
01-03-2005, 02:32 PM
Well since someone else started the rant, I'll keep it going:

I don't like it when people get in the middle of a thread making comments about lowball offers, etc. If a seller tells me to make an offer, I will obviously start low. You never know how anxious someone is to sell. They might actually take my low offer because I offered immediate payment.

Whatever the situation, the Classifieds Rules specifically state "Do not disrupt/interfere with AOers trying to make trades."

If you must, PM the seller stating that you think the posted offers are low. Otherwise, keep your snide comments out of the thread!

:bounce: Stepping down off my soapbox now...

wyn1370
01-03-2005, 02:48 PM
I'll add a few of my own
people who can't read
thread states for sale and smart people offer trades
or thread specifically lists what the owner is willing to accept and someone throws up some crap offer that isn't even worth reading

I tend to ignore any posts that are overly apparent that the person did not read the details

Conversekidz
01-03-2005, 02:56 PM
Well since someone else started the rant, I'll keep it going:

I don't like it when people get in the middle of a thread making comments about lowball offers, etc. If a seller tells me to make an offer, I will obviously start low. You never know how anxious someone is to sell. They might actually take my low offer because I offered immediate payment.

Whatever the situation, the Classifieds Rules specifically state "Do not disrupt/interfere with AOers trying to make trades."

If you must, PM the seller stating that you think the posted offers are low. Otherwise, keep your snide comments out of the thread!

:bounce: Stepping down off my soapbox now...

I have started lowballing all the threads I read that don't have an asking price. Maybe people will start to learn to post a price they are wanting.

The thing with pricing is, if you don't know a lick about automags and you look at one they don't look like they are worth $800 for some of them. It should be a rule that people post a price instead of "give me an offer"

Blennidae
01-03-2005, 03:21 PM
I have posted a couple of markers with the request for interested parties to make me an offer. The reason being is that I usually am looking to sell for the most I can get out of it without having to part it out. I ususally ask for them to PM me with their offers. If they are lowballs, I can politely say "I am looking to get more than that". I leave them up for a couple of weeks and take the best offer.

If I post a price of say $300, and someone jumps on it, then I get an offer of $350, I become the bad guy for not following thru on the first guys offer. Or I lose money accepting it.

Those are my reasons behind the make an offer.

And to add to the rant: Upping it every hour with a new post. I hate to see a page full of ups. Just delete the first up, then post a new up. Keeps it clean, and moves it to the top.

SpecialBlend2786
01-03-2005, 04:46 PM
And to add to the rant: Upping it every hour with a new post. I hate to see a page full of ups. Just delete the first up, then post a new up. Keeps it clean, and moves it to the top.

thats actually a really good idea...

WARPED1
01-03-2005, 05:39 PM
I agree with the first post. Gun value differs from person to person. To me for example, Intimidators are worth like $300-$500 used, others will disagree and thats fine, it's America. Welcome. Posters should post a price, or at least a price range. The AOG has it in thier B/S/T rules that you must post an asking price. We should do that here on AO.

Sac
01-03-2005, 06:04 PM
i recently put my gun up for sale (took it down due to lack of good offers)

i specifically stated in all caps the only trades i would take were 2k4 timmy's and dm4's and i would add cash.

the first 5 offers i got were old matrixes, old timmy's, and an e-cocker, i politely reminded everyone of the trade specifications, then in the next post down, i get offered another e-cocker and the seller says "in case you change your mind"

if i knew what i wanted im not gonna change my friggin mind idiot. :mad:

spantol
01-03-2005, 06:09 PM
Every time I post something for sale at PBNation (and a good third of the time I post here), I get a half dozen or so "hay wut r u sellin" IMs. You IMed me, idiot. If you can't be bothered to remember what you're trying to buy, I'm not going to risk dealing with you.

Conversekidz
01-03-2005, 07:42 PM
I have posted a couple of markers with the request for interested parties to make me an offer. The reason being is that I usually am looking to sell for the most I can get out of it without having to part it out. I ususally ask for them to PM me with their offers. If they are lowballs, I can politely say "I am looking to get more than that". I leave them up for a couple of weeks and take the best offer.

If I post a price of say $300, and someone jumps on it, then I get an offer of $350, I become the bad guy for not following thru on the first guys offer. Or I lose money accepting it.

Those are my reasons behind the make an offer.

then be like the other people I have delt with. say "I want around 300+ for it, make me an offer" at least that way you have it out that you want around XX amount of dollars. and say you are going to take the best offer that you get over the next 3 days. Just be honest with people.

Carbon Blue
01-03-2005, 07:49 PM
i hate that "make me an offer" then you put up an offer then they get all pissy pants about it. Either that or they make a forsale thread and the details will be

FS:

Autococker

and they wont include any of the specs, price, condition or anything. Freakin morons. And i dont see why its so bad to low ball the worst you could say is no, If someone offered me 100$ for my xvalved mag with other ups im just going to say no thanks and not get all pissy about it.

master_alexander
01-03-2005, 08:05 PM
yes, there is no reason to get pissy about it. Just ignore their stupidity and forget their offer.
move on with life and worry about something more important, like when you are going to fart next.

Blennidae
01-03-2005, 08:45 PM
then be like the other people I have delt with. say "I want around 300+ for it, make me an offer" at least that way you have it out that you want around XX amount of dollars. and say you are going to take the best offer that you get over the next 3 days. Just be honest with people.

That works when you know eactly what the market for your gun happens to be at the time. The 3 I have sold I was not sure exactly what I could get for them. If you say I want 300+ for it, you'll get an offer of $301. By letting interested parties make offers, and are honest, if you get an offer of say $325, you can tell another interested party you have an offer higher than what they currently have offered, they can either beat the higher offer, or pass. This way no one gets their feelings hurt, or loses face.

I can see your point about sellers being vague, but "PM me an offer" works for me. If someone says make an offer, and you intentionally lowball them in their thread, you run the risk of looking like a punk, just out to start trouble. If its a really nice marker, you might get flamed by others. Either way, it messes up the sellers ad, and possibly makes you look bad to people who may choose not to deal with you based on how you acted.

I prefer to do all my negotiations by PM/email, to keep the thread clean.

Just a different viewpoint. :cheers:

Conversekidz
01-04-2005, 02:09 PM
yes, there is no reason to get pissy about it. Just ignore their stupidity and forget their offer.
move on with life and worry about something more important, like when you are going to fart next.

That is what I don't get, why do people get so pissy? Its almost as if they want to have that happen to they can become e-tough.

Twitch04
01-05-2005, 12:34 PM
Hence why you use the PBN B/S/T because it's much larger and has more rules.
yes but pbn also has a higher scam rate due to the fact that there are more people. yes it is a risk here but there its much much greater. But yet when people do say give me offers it annoys me when they get mad for low offers. then again it is kina funny at the same time.