PDA

View Full Version : All tournament legal gear

MarkM
01-03-2005, 05:22 PM
Ok that made you look and it is stretching a point a little but due to the NPPL and others implementing the no clear hopper rule unless you use an Egg you can't properly RIT dye a Halo...so with this in mind I got the spray can out...I used Krylon for several coats and then finished it off with several coats of Krylon clearcoat.....no chipping so far and it looks even better in person as it catches the light in quite a good way. The only problem was the slight ridge that connects the two halves so a little bit of sanding to fix this was needed.

http://www.eclipsewatches.com/12264/cougars/web images/halo.jpg

Creative Mayhem
01-03-2005, 05:30 PM
looking good mark. Keep us posted on how well it holds up.

WARPED1
01-03-2005, 05:35 PM
That looks really cool.

CodeMA
01-03-2005, 05:44 PM
before I got rid of my clear shells.... I was thinking along these lines....BUT... I was going to paint the inside of the shell...so, since its clear and all, my thoughs were to not have to even worry about chipping and just let the color show through the shell itself...no idea how it would look, but it would be worth experimenting with?

MarkM
01-03-2005, 05:52 PM
I was going to do that first (and started to) but what happens is you get lines of no paint since there are shelves and struts all over the place. I can't in any way claim this idea as unique, Joy Division or plain Joy as they like to be known as now have done this with all of their Halo's except they are all gold...and the paint they used, was on some of the loaders coming off...this is why I did the outside and used lots of clearcoat.

MonsterMag
01-03-2005, 05:56 PM
Why cant you use clear shells? What about one clear one black?

Automaggot68
01-03-2005, 06:06 PM
Why cant you use clear shells? What about one clear one black?

It's hard to differentiate between a the paint and the paint in your hopper.
The NPPL uses two colors, Orange and Pink.
it'd be a little difficult twenty feet away looking at a hopper full of pink, and seeing pink ON the hopper.

Sac
01-03-2005, 06:09 PM
thats one reason the other is sometimes paint will break in the hopper, as a result of falling/motor chewing the paint up, and it looks like a hit and a ref will pull you.

Caffiend
01-03-2005, 06:14 PM
they outlawed clear shells because it was hard to see if it was a break on the hopper due to seeing all the paint inside of it...i think

Edit, what ^he^ said :)

RRfireblade
01-03-2005, 06:50 PM
Looks good.

FYI, you can totally RIT dye Halo shells. Done it three times myself as well as others who've posted on this Forum.

But it's good to offer alternatives.

AND, BTW....

If you spray it from the inside of the shell it will last indefinately and always look super glossy.

RRfireblade
01-03-2005, 06:53 PM
http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=69815&stc=1

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131036

MarkM
01-03-2005, 07:07 PM
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131036

Given the cost of Halo shells I wasn't about to go that route....If say the water has to be 40degrees etc but for a Halo 60 degrees (picking these figures out of the air) and you run the risk of distorting the plastic...I know which I would do.
I thought I had already explained the painting of the inside...you get parts missing and it wears off.

MonsterMag
01-03-2005, 07:09 PM
omg that xmag/halo is hot , nice job jay :headbang: :headbang:

Dirge
01-03-2005, 07:31 PM
One guy on the team I play for used red automotive window tint on the inside of his halo-b shell. Worked out prety nice and seems to hold up well enough.

RRfireblade
01-03-2005, 08:27 PM
omg that xmag/halo is hot , nice job jay :headbang: :headbang:

Can't take credit for that pic,but I have done that same fade for someone who saw that pic and wanted it. It's really not a big deal,I had more trouble doing certain Delrin bolts than I had with the Halo shells.

On the inside painting, doesn't really matter about the interlocking pieces.It's all clear plastic on the outside so the color just shows right through. Been painting Lexan RC bodies like that for years...tinted windows and full reversed interior graphic designs.Takes quite a beating on the outside and always look good. Till you really wrinkle the body...not a problem with a loader shell tho. ;)

But whatever you prefer, it's all good. Like I said more options,more choices.