PDA

View Full Version : Official 2005 DOT Regulations

Brophog
01-03-2005, 05:31 PM
HPA tanks
There are blanket rules, and exceptions for the the blanket rules. First, the blanket rules.
1 - All fiber-wrapped tanks are to be hydrotested every 3 years, unless the manufacturer specifically indicates ON THE BOTTLE that hydrotesting is due at 5 years. All fiber-wrapped tanks have a maximum lifespan of 15 years, no exceptions.
2 - All steel and aluminum HPA tanks are to be tested every 5 years, with an unlimited lifespan. The only exception to this rule is for steel tanks stamped 3HT, which must be tested every 3 years and have a 24 year lifespan.

CO2 tanks

Again, first the blanket rule.
1 - All CO2 tanks (including those manufactured from chrome-moly alloy) must be hydrotested every 5 years, with unlimited lifespan. The only exception is for tanks under 2 inches in diameter and less than 2 feet in length, these are exempt from testing. NOTE - Chrome-Moly tanks are NOT exempt from testing!! There is a wide belief in the paintball industry that they are exempt, they are not, unless they fall under the 2 inch diameter rule. The 2 inch/2 foot rule will apply mostly to 9-ounce tanks.

Exceptions

There are some "E" codes stamped on some fiber-wrapped HPA bottles. Many people believe that if their bottle is stamped with an "E" code it means they are exempt from testing, this is not true. It means that bottle falls under an exemption from the blanket rule in some specification, but that exemption may or may not address the hydrotest date. Here are the only listed "E" codes for fiber-wrapped tanks on the DOT site, and how they will affect your bottle.

E-07277 - manufacterer SCI, to be tested every 3 years, 15 year service life. This exemption deals with the manufacturing process, not the hydrotest schedule.

E-09634 - manufacturer Luxfer, to be tested every 3 years, 15 year service life. This exemption deals with the manufacturing process, not the hydrotest schedule.

E-10915 - manufacturer Luxfer, may be changed to 5-year schedule, this will be explained below.

E-10945, manufacturer SCI, may be changed to 5-year schedulue, as explained below

E-11005, manufacturer Careton Tech, to be tested every 3 years, 15 year service life. This exemption deals with the manufacturing process, not the hydrotest schedule.

E-11194, manufacturer Careton Tech, may be changed to 5 year schedule, as explained below

E-12479, manufacturer Luxfer, to be tested every 3 years, 15 year service life. This exemption deals with the manufacturing process, not the hydrotest schedule.

5-year test schedule exemption explained - All these bottles still have a maximum service life of 15 years from original manufacture. These bottles were originally manufactured under a 3-year retest schedule, but the manufacturer was allowed by the DOT to move them to a 5-year retest schedule, provided they have been tested/manufactured after a certain date, as applied below.

For exemption code E-10915, if the last test date was before May 11, 2001 then your bottle is still on the 3-year cycle and must be tested every 3 years. If it shows a test date after May 11, 2001 then your bottle is now on a 5-year test schedule.

For exemption codes E-10945 and E-11194, your bottle is on a 3-year test schedule if the last test occurred before July 1, 2001. If your bottle has been tested after that date, you are now on a 5-year test schedule.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________
Special Thanks to Airguy from Texas Air Solutions for Contributing this Information.

ojhspyro89
01-03-2005, 05:40 PM
Sweet, this should be a sticky for sure.

Caffiend
01-03-2005, 06:11 PM
ok, so my bottle says DOT-E11194 and was tested on 01-02 (Jan 02, right?) so instead of getting it tested this month I have another 2 years? :clap: :clap: :clap:

Blazestorm
01-03-2005, 06:15 PM
Yep :)

Skoad
01-03-2005, 06:19 PM
now the only problem is convincing the filler that your tank doesn't need to be tested, hopefully they got this memo :)

AGDlover
01-03-2005, 06:24 PM
my tank is out at hydro right now

Brophog
01-03-2005, 06:57 PM
I suggest you contact the manufacturer. I do not know how specific extensions work.

FireITup14
01-03-2005, 07:07 PM
how can i tell the retest date on my bottle? it says its a E-10945, and under a little bit it says, 06 (L 03 does this mean it was new in 03 and i have to get it tested in 06? but why would it say that if i have a E-10945 and it can be tested for every 5 years?

Brophog
01-03-2005, 07:15 PM
how can i tell the retest date on my bottle? it says its a E-10945, and under a little bit it says, 06 (L 03 does this mean it was new in 03 and i have to get it tested in 06? but why would it say that if i have a E-10945 and it can be tested for every 5 years?

"For exemption code E-10915, if the last test date was before May 11, 2001 then your bottle is still on the 3-year cycle and must be tested every 3 years. If it shows a test date after May 11, 2001 then your bottle is now on a 5-year test schedule. "

deathstalker
01-03-2005, 07:28 PM
ok, so my bottle says DOT-E11194 and was tested on 01-02 (Jan 02, right?) so instead of getting it tested this month I have another 2 years? :clap: :clap: :clap:
If your tank had still been a 3-year tank, it would already be out of hydro. The month listed on your tank is for the first of the month, not last. You must get your tank hydro'd before January 1, 2007. :)

Just a little something most people don't know about hydro dates.

*Ninja edit*
Forgot to say thanks for the info, Brophog. Link to the site from where you got it?

FireITup14
01-03-2005, 07:49 PM
"For exemption code E-10915, if the last test date was before May 11, 2001 then your bottle is still on the 3-year cycle and must be tested every 3 years. If it shows a test date after May 11, 2001 then your bottle is now on a 5-year test schedule. "

ok i understand but how do i tell when my last hydro was? i bought it new from actionvillage.

SAW
01-03-2005, 08:22 PM
Should be a date on the tank somewhere.
Thank you for the info Brophog!

FireITup14
01-03-2005, 08:56 PM
ooooo i get it now. thanks. i got one more question though, what if you miss a rehydro? like if you just dont do it for a couple months past the date and use it? is the tank like not usable anymore?

SAW
01-03-2005, 09:04 PM
Then the tank will explode in your hands!

Not really, but there is an increased risk of accidents. I believe most places won't fill an overdue tank.

Evil1
01-03-2005, 10:24 PM
You would be surprised on how many businesses/fields don't even check the retest dates. This one kid at this one field I played at had a tank that was almost 2 years out of date and the guy filling filled 2 or 3 times before someone told on him.

Caffiend
01-04-2005, 03:19 AM
If your tank had still been a 3-year tank, it would already be out of hydro. The month listed on your tank is for the first of the month, not last. You must get your tank hydro'd before January 1, 2007. :)

Just a little something most people don't know about hydro dates.

*Ninja edit*
Forgot to say thanks for the info, Brophog. Link to the site from where you got it?

Thanks deathstalker! I thought it was like car registration, it goes by the end of the month, but now I know :)

deathstalker
01-04-2005, 10:59 AM
...and knowing is half the battle! :p

Brophog
01-04-2005, 11:22 AM
Update - an alert forum member has located an additional exemption number and asked me about it. This exemption, on some Scott CO2 bottles, is E-8096, and exempts these bottles from ever needing to be tested, for their service life of 15 years. These are for 16 ounce chrome-moly tanks, the exemption will expire on October 31, 2005 - meaning that these tanks are still ok to be used without hydro for D-Day 2005. After that date, if the exemption is not renewed by the manufacturer, you will have to have them hydroed.

--Airguy, Texas Air Solutions

kscullin
02-12-2005, 05:45 PM
Great post, Brophog! You answered several questions I had about tank hydrotesting requirements.

Perhaps I can help clear up some of the reasons behind the common confusion about exemptions. The chrome moly myth, the "E" myth, and the 9 oz myth all stem from the fact that only chrome moly cylinders stamped DOT-3E are exempt from hydrotesting. This is because they are the ones which fall under the 2" in diameter and 2' in length exemption. These cylinders comprise the 3.5 oz, 4 oz, 7 oz and 9 oz sizes (although there may be 3.5 oz or 4 oz aluminum cylinders that fit the requirement). 9 oz aluminum tanks are stamped DOT-3AA or DOT-3AL, and must be retested every 5 years.

You should be aware that there is a problem with tanks made of the aluminum alloy 6351-T6. These aluminum cylinders will be stamped DOT-3AL and composite cylinders will be stamped DOT-3E 7235. There are exceptions, as noted in http://hazmat.dot.gov/pubs/reports/cylinder/3al_advisory.pdf, but unless specified otherwise, you should assume your tank with either of these codes is made of this alloy. I've read of one death associated with a SCUBA tank made of this alloy rupturing - and the guy hadn't even started filling it yet. If it wasn't already in a tub of water, it's likely the 2 men next to him would've died as well. The fiber wrapped ones were all made before 1990, (I believe that's what it says, anyway), and should soon all be out of service anyway, but keep an eye on your aluminum ones. I had a 9 oz aluminum tank stamped DOT-3AL, but it's already removed from service (I needed the valve and wasn't going to get it hydro'd anyway). It was made in 9/2000.

tolley
02-12-2005, 09:48 PM
The DOT website has all this, if you have your tank DOT number you can go there and look it up.

ben_JD
02-16-2005, 01:51 PM
Tolly is correct. Go to : US Dept. of Transportation HazMat Exceptions Page (http://hazmat.dot.gov/exempapp/exemptions/exemptions_index.htm) and choose your Exemption number from the list. I carry printed copies in my gear bag to fend off the occasional hydro challenge from a new field.

jewie27
02-19-2005, 02:41 AM
You would be surprised on how many businesses/fields don't even check the retest dates. This one kid at this one field I played at had a tank that was almost 2 years out of date and the guy filling filled 2 or 3 times before someone told on him.

good thing I stay clear of those kind of people. If a shop or field doesn't check my hydro date, although I already know what it is, I won't go there.

fire1811
02-21-2005, 10:31 AM
thanks for the info

okiTony
02-22-2005, 08:41 AM
This is great Info. Thank you all!!!

Smileatom88
02-23-2005, 01:56 AM
Wow. Great Information. Thanks

50 cal
02-23-2005, 10:12 AM
now the only problem is convincing the filler that your tank doesn't need to be tested, hopefully they got this memo :)

There is a guy local that just won't believe me about 5 yr hydros. I tell him about the ASTM and DOT site and where to look for it and he absolutely refuses to believe me.
I try to tell him to look for himself, he has 'net access at his field. He just refuses to be proved wrong. I have to borrow a friends 68/3000 to play there.

ben_JD
02-25-2005, 04:26 PM
There is a guy local that just won't believe me about 5 yr hydros. I tell him about the ASTM and DOT site and where to look for it and he absolutely refuses to believe me.
I try to tell him to look for himself, he has 'net access at his field. He just refuses to be proved wrong. I have to borrow a friends 68/3000 to play there.Why is it that you haven't printed the exemption and showed it to him? Visit the website listed in my post above, print the exemption and place it in your gear bag to avoid these problems.