PDA

View Full Version : bolt stick with ult-what causes it?

trains are bad
01-04-2005, 02:01 AM
Every time I have tried running the ULT I have had persistent bolt stick issues. Not really bad, just every now and then or something. But every now and then is too often...I shoot a mag for reliablity. With the same exact setup, I have never ever had bolt stick with the regular on/off.

Is it too many/few shims? Is in the trigger stops? Is it something else? What is it about the ULT that would cause bolt stick, but drop the regular on/off in and the bolt stick disappears?

Carbon Blue
01-04-2005, 03:41 AM
i would think u have too little shims in your ULT setup, i had that problem and i dropped in a few more till it was up to my preference. I currently have 7 shims in my ULT

trains are bad
01-04-2005, 11:50 AM
I have so many shims that the on/off is flush with the valve body. More will not fit.

Carbon Blue
01-04-2005, 02:52 PM
try going down a few shims then, but i dont think that would work just because mine was the opposite.

GodLovesUgly
01-04-2005, 03:38 PM
if it's an RT pro then the problem is probably that your field strip screw is too tight, i had the same prob when i first got mine, what i usualy do is turn it all the way in then back it out like a half a turn... and trust me this question has been addressed alot so try looking through the old threads for some answers if this doesn't work! good luck :headbang:

TAW
01-04-2005, 09:53 PM
Do you have the most LX shims in with out it leaking?

When you switch from the stock on/off to the ULT and get bold stick it is because the LX is not setup correctly. The stock on/off has more RT effect to latch the bolt if it is not far enough back but the ULT does not. To get the bolt back far enough for the ULT to grab it try another LX shim or bigger carrier that does not leak and oil the heck out of them both.

trains are bad
01-04-2005, 10:19 PM
I thought of that, but I don't see how more force would cause the sear to 'catch' because it's not sloped or anything. I may try the next biggest carrier and see if it leaks.

TAW
01-04-2005, 11:36 PM
I can take my LX shims out, with the stock on/off if I fire and hold the trigger back the bolt sits farther in the breach and when I let go the bolt moves back and the sear catches. When I do it with the ULT I have bolt stick, reset and fire again and the same thing - bolt stick.

The ULT makes the LX bolt behave like a L7 bolt on an AIR valve. On the L7 bolt if you have bolt stick you switch to a bigger spacer but instead with the LX you add the most shims and the biggest carrier with out leaking to cure the bolt stick.